American Amber Ale - Rogue Ales

American Amber AleAmerican Amber Ale

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.30% ABV

Malts: Northwest Harrington and Klages, 95-115 and 135-165 Crystal.
Hops: Kent Golding and Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water.

13º PLATO
73.1 AA
33º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-26-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of American Amber Ale Alström Bros

1.53/5  rDev -60.1%

I have really enjoyed the Rogue line of beers over the years. Sadly, this one I did not.

Poured a deep, reddish brown with a good, firm head that was slow to drop and left good lacing.
Smell is very hoppy, citrusy, slight maltiness in the background. Smells like an IPA.
Taste is HUGE HOPS bitterness (like a punch in the face), some citrus in the background hiding with a faint grassy flavor. The hoppiness got even more noticeable as the beer warmed.
Mouthfeel - effervescent all over the tongue, medium bodied.
Drinkability - What can I say? If you like a highly hopped IPA, by all means, order it. If you want a smooth amber ale like the label suggests, order something else! By the time I had drank 2/3 of it, I knew I couldn't finish. The last 6 oz. ending up watering the plants. Only Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine-style Ale and the pale pilsners from the megabrewers have had this distinction up to this point.

2.25/5  rDev -41.3%

2.28/5  rDev -40.5%

Reviewed under the Jazz Guy Ale label. Poured from 22 oz bottle into shaker pint glass.
A: Pours a red ale with moderate carbonation that produces a 1/2 inch white head that quickly dissipates.
S: Caramel malt. Hint of hops. Pretty basic.
T: Dry hoppy bitterness overpowers the rest of the beer...disappointing.
M: Oily, smooth. Acidic and bitter.
D: One of my least favorite beers from an otherwise quality brewer.

2.35/5  rDev -38.6%

Picked up a 6-pack the other day. I consider myself a hophead. I really enjoy the floral and citrus notes (i.e.: racer 5) from the hops and I enjoy my share of bitterness (i.e.: ruination) but this beer was not very good.

It has a standard amber appearance.

The taste begins with bitterness, and not in a good way, it was sharp bitterness lacking any floral/citrus notes. It does present a decent malty backbone which I enjoyed.

As far as mouthfeel goes, it was average. nothing bad, nothing great either.

I am glad I tried this beer. I generally like Rogue, I love amber beers and I love hoppiness but not the strait bitterness with no other redeeming characteristics that this beer presented.

2.4/5  rDev -37.3%

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

No idea as to the drink by date on this particular bottle, bought it as a single less than a week ago from Riverside Brewing Co.

Appearance - Cloudy, less than average amount of carbonation, lackluster bronzish head and short retention. Cloudy brew that looks like an amber lake water.

Smell - Smoky and resiny hops aromas, not much else can be detected from this bottle.

Taste - Thankfully the taste of this ale redeemed its presentation. It had an onset of a hops flavor with a sharp piney aftertaste. If this brew was intending to be an amber ale it seemed to lack the direction to get it to be as smooth as other ambers I've had. Overall good flavor otherwise.

Mouthfeel - It wasn't flat, but it wasn't adequately carbonated (it didn't dance in my mouth like I was expecting). I think I may have bought an old bottle.

Drinkability - This beer didn't give me the sense that I'd want to drink it again.

I'm ready to try more of Rogue's selection. I'd be willing to give this brew another go in a few months at which point I would review it again with a clear mind of what this one left me with.

American Amber Ale from Rogue Ales