American Amber Ale - Rogue Ales

American Amber AleAmerican Amber Ale

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.60% ABV

Malts: Northwest Harrington and Klages, 95-115 and 135-165 Crystal.
Hops: Kent Golding and Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water.

13º PLATO
73.1 AA
33º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-26-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of American Amber Ale Alström Bros
sallmadsen

05-12-2012 00:58:24 | More by sallmadsen
PorterLambic

1.53/5  rDev -60.2%

I have really enjoyed the Rogue line of beers over the years. Sadly, this one I did not.

Poured a deep, reddish brown with a good, firm head that was slow to drop and left good lacing.
Smell is very hoppy, citrusy, slight maltiness in the background. Smells like an IPA.
Taste is HUGE HOPS bitterness (like a punch in the face), some citrus in the background hiding with a faint grassy flavor. The hoppiness got even more noticeable as the beer warmed.
Mouthfeel - effervescent all over the tongue, medium bodied.
Drinkability - What can I say? If you like a highly hopped IPA, by all means, order it. If you want a smooth amber ale like the label suggests, order something else! By the time I had drank 2/3 of it, I knew I couldn't finish. The last 6 oz. ending up watering the plants. Only Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine-style Ale and the pale pilsners from the megabrewers have had this distinction up to this point.

10-18-2004 01:14:52 | More by PorterLambic

2.25/5  rDev -41.4%

03-28-2014 04:12:57 | More by chippo33
mwilbur

2.28/5  rDev -40.6%

Reviewed under the Jazz Guy Ale label. Poured from 22 oz bottle into shaker pint glass.
A: Pours a red ale with moderate carbonation that produces a 1/2 inch white head that quickly dissipates.
S: Caramel malt. Hint of hops. Pretty basic.
T: Dry hoppy bitterness overpowers the rest of the beer...disappointing.
M: Oily, smooth. Acidic and bitter.
D: One of my least favorite beers from an otherwise quality brewer.

09-30-2008 02:31:42 | More by mwilbur
rbennett0

West Virginia

2.35/5  rDev -38.8%

Picked up a 6-pack the other day. I consider myself a hophead. I really enjoy the floral and citrus notes (i.e.: racer 5) from the hops and I enjoy my share of bitterness (i.e.: ruination) but this beer was not very good.

It has a standard amber appearance.

The taste begins with bitterness, and not in a good way, it was sharp bitterness lacking any floral/citrus notes. It does present a decent malty backbone which I enjoyed.

As far as mouthfeel goes, it was average. nothing bad, nothing great either.

I am glad I tried this beer. I generally like Rogue, I love amber beers and I love hoppiness but not the strait bitterness with no other redeeming characteristics that this beer presented.

06-11-2009 21:12:20 | More by rbennett0

07-13-2014 13:39:53 | More by baklo
n00tz

Georgia

2.75/5  rDev -28.4%

No idea as to the drink by date on this particular bottle, bought it as a single less than a week ago from Riverside Brewing Co.

Appearance - Cloudy, less than average amount of carbonation, lackluster bronzish head and short retention. Cloudy brew that looks like an amber lake water.

Smell - Smoky and resiny hops aromas, not much else can be detected from this bottle.

Taste - Thankfully the taste of this ale redeemed its presentation. It had an onset of a hops flavor with a sharp piney aftertaste. If this brew was intending to be an amber ale it seemed to lack the direction to get it to be as smooth as other ambers I've had. Overall good flavor otherwise.

Mouthfeel - It wasn't flat, but it wasn't adequately carbonated (it didn't dance in my mouth like I was expecting). I think I may have bought an old bottle.

Drinkability - This beer didn't give me the sense that I'd want to drink it again.

I'm ready to try more of Rogue's selection. I'd be willing to give this brew another go in a few months at which point I would review it again with a clear mind of what this one left me with.

08-25-2008 01:33:16 | More by n00tz

garuda

06-26-2013 23:51:56 | More by garuda
dhartogs

2.78/5  rDev -27.6%

Nice Amber color with a solid head, nice coning and lacing. Taste was a bit off, mouth feel like a maltier ale, taste more like a pale ale with a bitter and off-putting after each sip. I thought it would get better once food arrived but it made everything taste worse. The bitterness stuck with me for quite a wile. I like hops but don’t like a sharp bitter taste to linger for a long time. I would not get this beer again. Not really sure what they were going for with this beer, but when I think of red ales, I think of a milder tasting, less offensive beer.

05-18-2011 13:18:44 | More by dhartogs
PatrickJR

2.85/5  rDev -25.8%

Had this on-tap in a pint glass at Lynnwood Grill in Raleigh, NC.

A - Clear, garnet red, but upon arriving to the table there was no head, collar, or lace.

S - Pleasant vanilla/brown sugar-like aroma from the malt, but a sort of muddled combination of citrus and earth from the hops.

T - Some sweet malt hits briefly followed by a one-dimensional onslaught of citrus pith and dirt. The bitterness begins overpowering the taste buds mid palate and doesn't let up.

M - Sturdy medium body but the abundance of carbonation is the nail in the coffin. Not quite, but almost prickly, doing much to accentuate the bitterness and override other flavors.

D - I was not too happy by the time I finished this, but luckily there was a little food to eat to keep the bitterness at bay. At it's best it's a simple, pedestrian amber.

12-02-2008 06:40:56 | More by PatrickJR
Ragingbull

2.88/5  rDev -25%

This beer pours out in an opaque amber or light brown color. White foam head that dissipates to a mild foam with a little lacing. The nose emits some hops and malt notes in a manner that is similar to a holiday beer. The nose is probably the highlight of this beer for me. I think that I expect to be impressed by everything from Rogue, and this one just came across as pretty standard and average for me. The attack was pretty clean with a touch of sour and growing bitters in the middle of the flavor. Those two traits intensify as the beer nears its finish and leaves one wanting to describe it as sour and bitter. Not necessarily a bad thing, but that is the description I have.

04-24-2009 14:51:03 | More by Ragingbull