American Amber Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-26-2001

Malts: Northwest Harrington and Klages, 95-115 and 135-165 Crystal.
Hops: Kent Golding and Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water.

13º PLATO
73.1 AA
33º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of American Amber Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,381 | Reviews: 716
1.59/5  rDev -58.5%

I have really enjoyed the Rogue line of beers over the years. Sadly, this one I did not.

Poured a deep, reddish brown with a good, firm head that was slow to drop and left good lacing.
Smell is very hoppy, citrusy, slight maltiness in the background. Smells like an IPA.
Taste is HUGE HOPS bitterness (like a punch in the face), some citrus in the background hiding with a faint grassy flavor. The hoppiness got even more noticeable as the beer warmed.
Mouthfeel - effervescent all over the tongue, medium bodied.
Drinkability - What can I say? If you like a highly hopped IPA, by all means, order it. If you want a smooth amber ale like the label suggests, order something else! By the time I had drank 2/3 of it, I knew I couldn't finish. The last 6 oz. ending up watering the plants. Only Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine-style Ale and the pale pilsners from the megabrewers have had this distinction up to this point.

2.33/5  rDev -39.2%

Reviewed under the Jazz Guy Ale label. Poured from 22 oz bottle into shaker pint glass.
A: Pours a red ale with moderate carbonation that produces a 1/2 inch white head that quickly dissipates.
S: Caramel malt. Hint of hops. Pretty basic.
T: Dry hoppy bitterness overpowers the rest of the beer...disappointing.
M: Oily, smooth. Acidic and bitter.
D: One of my least favorite beers from an otherwise quality brewer.

2.4/5  rDev -37.3%

Picked up a 6-pack the other day. I consider myself a hophead. I really enjoy the floral and citrus notes (i.e.: racer 5) from the hops and I enjoy my share of bitterness (i.e.: ruination) but this beer was not very good.

It has a standard amber appearance.

The taste begins with bitterness, and not in a good way, it was sharp bitterness lacking any floral/citrus notes. It does present a decent malty backbone which I enjoyed.

As far as mouthfeel goes, it was average. nothing bad, nothing great either.

I am glad I tried this beer. I generally like Rogue, I love amber beers and I love hoppiness but not the strait bitterness with no other redeeming characteristics that this beer presented.

2.72/5  rDev -29%

No idea as to the drink by date on this particular bottle, bought it as a single less than a week ago from Riverside Brewing Co.

Appearance - Cloudy, less than average amount of carbonation, lackluster bronzish head and short retention. Cloudy brew that looks like an amber lake water.

Smell - Smoky and resiny hops aromas, not much else can be detected from this bottle.

Taste - Thankfully the taste of this ale redeemed its presentation. It had an onset of a hops flavor with a sharp piney aftertaste. If this brew was intending to be an amber ale it seemed to lack the direction to get it to be as smooth as other ambers I've had. Overall good flavor otherwise.

Mouthfeel - It wasn't flat, but it wasn't adequately carbonated (it didn't dance in my mouth like I was expecting). I think I may have bought an old bottle.

Drinkability - This beer didn't give me the sense that I'd want to drink it again.

I'm ready to try more of Rogue's selection. I'd be willing to give this brew another go in a few months at which point I would review it again with a clear mind of what this one left me with.

2.73/5  rDev -28.7%

Decent beer. Just average across the board for me. Good but nothing special

2.81/5  rDev -26.6%

Nice Amber color with a solid head, nice coning and lacing. Taste was a bit off, mouth feel like a maltier ale, taste more like a pale ale with a bitter and off-putting after each sip. I thought it would get better once food arrived but it made everything taste worse. The bitterness stuck with me for quite a wile. I like hops but don’t like a sharp bitter taste to linger for a long time. I would not get this beer again. Not really sure what they were going for with this beer, but when I think of red ales, I think of a milder tasting, less offensive beer.

2.85/5  rDev -25.6%

Had this on-tap in a pint glass at Lynnwood Grill in Raleigh, NC.

A - Clear, garnet red, but upon arriving to the table there was no head, collar, or lace.

S - Pleasant vanilla/brown sugar-like aroma from the malt, but a sort of muddled combination of citrus and earth from the hops.

T - Some sweet malt hits briefly followed by a one-dimensional onslaught of citrus pith and dirt. The bitterness begins overpowering the taste buds mid palate and doesn't let up.

M - Sturdy medium body but the abundance of carbonation is the nail in the coffin. Not quite, but almost prickly, doing much to accentuate the bitterness and override other flavors.

D - I was not too happy by the time I finished this, but luckily there was a little food to eat to keep the bitterness at bay. At it's best it's a simple, pedestrian amber.

2.92/5  rDev -23.8%

I've found a nice place in my heart for Amber Ales, and I have another place there in my heart for Rogue, so it seemed like a match made in heaven...but I feel more like I'm in Limbo.

Poured a shade of amber, much lighter than expected. Light amber head; finger and a half with foamy lace. Not as rich as I would have liked.

The smell was rather hoppy as opposed to malty...its there, but not very robust. Has a little bit of an earthy smell to it.

Again, the hops took more prevelance than the malts, but I guess thats the "red" coming out in it. There was some citrus in there, as some reviews have said. I just didn't find this to be as complex as others ive had.

I have to agree with others and say that this felt way too thin, and definitely lacked the heartiness of an ale. Felt a bit more like a lager in my opinion

Drinkability is fairly good, but I could think of others that I would rather have.

I've enjoyed the Rogue's I have had thus far, but I don't think I will have this again. It wasn't "bad", but I expected more and have much better choices in front of me. I will still enjoy a Chocolate and Shakespear Stout on regular occasions, but not this.

2.92/5  rDev -23.8%

This beer pours out in an opaque amber or light brown color. White foam head that dissipates to a mild foam with a little lacing. The nose emits some hops and malt notes in a manner that is similar to a holiday beer. The nose is probably the highlight of this beer for me. I think that I expect to be impressed by everything from Rogue, and this one just came across as pretty standard and average for me. The attack was pretty clean with a touch of sour and growing bitters in the middle of the flavor. Those two traits intensify as the beer nears its finish and leaves one wanting to describe it as sour and bitter. Not necessarily a bad thing, but that is the description I have.

2.96/5  rDev -22.7%

Reviewed 3/20/2007 (12oz bottle):

Pours a dark brown/red color, very cloudy. Good sized head, somewhat lasting, frothy, good lacing. Appealing. Sweet hoppy aroma, tempered by maltiness too. Not too strong. Malty taste, hoppy aftertaste. A little acidc on the end, letting warm up a bit...Unbalanced dry & acidic. An okay malty ale.

2.97/5  rDev -22.5%

Foamed up big out of the bottle, fresh from the store. I finally poured it about 30 minutes later and got about half a pint glass worth of head. Wow. The head fades slowly and leaves a bunch of sticky lacing on the glass. The color is a very hazy amber.

Aroma of earthy hops and some caramel sweetness. Some citrus notes as well to the hops. The taste is a bit bitter all the way through, earthiness of the hops a bit more subtle. There is also a grainy character to this beer that is not entirely pleasant. Harsh bitter finish that lingers for some time.

There is not a lot of body here, thin and watery in the mouth. Carbonation is moderate.

Another over-priced six-pack from Rogue. Disappointing.

I personally don't like that Grapefruit bitterness...

3.01/5  rDev -21.4%

This beer poured a crystal clear deep orange. Nice large head resting comfortably on top. Good retention and excellent lacing sticking like glue.

Smell was pretty average. Sweet malt, floral, caramel and some fresh bread scents.

Very strong metallic taste with a bitter finish. Some spice of pepper. Mellows to a nice smooth brew as it warms. Slightly soapy? Good carbonation throughout. Not that drinkable for me, b/c I couldn't deal with that soapy metal taste for too long.

My first experience with Rogue, and I'm not that impressed. I'll have to try something else.

3.06/5  rDev -20.1%

Appearance: small carbonation, 1/2 inch head, clear, mahogany

Smell: toasted malt and caramel--fairly weak for a smell

Taste: caramel, toasted malt, tea, and small hops towards the end

Mouthfeel: smooth, medium body, lightly sweet, with a slightly bitter aftertaste, medium carbonation

Drinkability: I generally like Rogue, but this is not as complex an amber as I am used to. It just did not leave that big an impression. In the future, I will pass on this for the price.

3.06/5  rDev -20.1%

<Reviewed a loooong time ago. needs a re-rate eventually.> Orange-ish, reddish amber color with off-white medium head. Mostly hoppy, floral, and some slight malt smells, with some rye like odor too that I’m not big on. Taste is hoppy, fruity, but dry and overly bitter, with a similar lasting aftertaste. Unbalanced to me. Was ok at first, but got harder and harder to drink. I can see hop lovers liking this still, but far from one of my favorites.

3.07/5  rDev -19.8%

Opening the bottle resulted in an 6 inch geyser of foam that gobbled up about 1/3 of the bomber and ruined my Sunday newspaper! Has a nice amber hue with a substantial head.

Good malty tones. Some smoke and coffee present. Mild hops noticable. Nice.

Lots of malty richness. Hops definately control the finish, which is slightly tannic. Sweetness shows up in the front.

Quite light throughout. Dry and tannic throughout. Mild finish. Needs more body, IMO.

A good quaffable brew. Nothign special, yet a good session beer to keep on hand. No need to seek this one out, but try it if you come across it.

3.08/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle into a wine glass. Wait, didn't I just pour a Rogue beer a few minutes ago? Oh yeah, I did. Ah well, here goes nothing...

Appearance: Pours a darker copper color. The head is a finger high, with a pale yellow shade. The texture is very thick (even for an amber ale), though the retention isn't the best. A consistent ring of lacing is left on the glass. (3.75)

Smell: The aroma is redolent of your typical amber ale. Light Cascade hoppiness (flowers, lime, and minor grapefruit) is balanced by the healthy caramel-laden backbone. Really, it doesn't smell bad at all, just a bit unexciting. Just like I said, it's a standard (albeit well-done) amber ale. (3.25)

Taste: Again, no surprises here. It starts off with light hints of grapefruit and piny hops, while the finish is fairly malty. I'm getting vague vanilla cream flavors on the back end that are pretty nice. These elements strike a nice balance, though personally I could use a bit more hoppiness. Rogue's sometimes problematic yeast strain does a good job of staying in the background here. Nothing special, but it works acceptably. (3)

Mouthfeel: I don't think this is dry enough - while the hop/malt balance in the taste is nice, some of the maltiness lingers far too strongly. Ergo, it's not terribly easy to drink. Carbonation is slightly on the low side, making it seem a tad syrupy. (2.75)

Overall: Before drinking this, I had Rogue's Yellow Snow IPA...incidentally, it tasted exactly like eating yellow snow, so I dumped it. This, though, is far superior. Sure, it's just another average amber ale, but I'd gladly drink the whole bottle of this over just a couple ounces of the aptly named former beer. So...uh...um, good job, Rogue. (3)

3.06/5: Just another average amber ale

3.11/5  rDev -18.8%

Odd. This beer had the qualities and characteristics of an IPA moreso than an Amber ale. In anycase, it poured out to a slightly cloudy orange amber color with a decent head. Lower carbonation. Odors of hops and grain were noted, as were citrus fruits. Flavor was rather bitter, with notes of malt and hops. Finished with a pine like aftertaste, and slightly dry. Nothing amazing here, but worth a try.

3.12/5  rDev -18.5%

About a finger and a half of head with an aggressive pour. The head has an orangish cast and disappears relatively quickly.

The beer itself is a coppery red. A darker, redder amber for sure.

Smell is a biscuit and caramel aroma wrapped in citrus hops.

Taste is overly hoppy with some of the caramel malt coming through but not much. Leaves with a dry cracker and grapefruity hops flavor. Too hoppy for the style IMHO.

Mouthfeel is a bit sharp and drying. This isn't overy pleasant to feel as it goes down.

Drinkability suffers due to its overly drying flavors and sharp feel.

3.12/5  rDev -18.5%

12 oz bottle. No freshness dates or anything like that. Patriotic label art. Served in a mug.

Pours a completely opaque amber-orange. Looks like apple cider. A tannish ring spackles the glass with froth. Smell is dank, slightly fruity and ripe. Taste quickly turns from earthy malts to a bitter, grassy twang. Strong hints of grapefruit, with a bit of lemon. Yes, this is unexpected hoppiness for an amber. Feel is very carbonated, and aftertastes of grapefruit (again). OK beer, but I wouldn't get it again.

3.12/5  rDev -18.5%

Chilled 12oz bottle into a glass.

A: Pours a murky amber color that is standard for the style. Has several inches of off-white head that quickly recedes into a few light bubbles and a thin collar around the brew. A few scattered clumps of lacing down the glass, mostly remnants from the head.

S: Mostly caramel malt, some nuts and bread underneath. A light earthy hop note toward the end.

T: A slight caramel malt on the initial taste, then BAM! Bitter, earthy hops that dominate the flavor. They pull through to the end, which starts to develop a bready flavor and slighty nut-toffee-caramel blend that produces a sweet finish. Still, the aftertaste brings back that earthy hop flavor and a slight metallicity. Surprisingly hoppy for an amber.

M: Light-bodied. Moderate carbonation. More of a bitter aftertaste than I expect from a red.

D: Unimpressed.

3.14/5  rDev -18%

This bottle is the 'Jazz Guy' version. I grabbed this at Julio's Liquors in Massachusetts a few weeks back.

APPEARANCE: Pours a very clear ruddy amber into a shaker pint. A 2-finger, off-white head forms on top and drops to a full cap of foam. Lacing comes in solid sheets draping the entire height of the glass.

SMELL: Resinous, west-coast, citrusy hops stand out initially. They slightly overpower the malt base which is mostly clean but has a slight caramel note to it.

TASTE: The hops give a significant bitterness to the beer which is very apparent right away. Despite this, not a whole lot of hop flavor comes through. Flavor from the malt seems awfully lacking as well. The finish ends with only the lingering hop bitterness.

MOUTHFEEL: Seems a bit watery, but the lighter body is nice. Carbonation is at an average level and appropriate.

DRINKABILITY: It seems like I can't taste anything. It drinks easy enough I suppose, but I'm not really wanting more.

I'll pass. Rogue has some nice beers, but this one is probably one that'd be okay to skip.

3.14/5  rDev -18%

This brew poured a nice medium light brown head that was filled with small to medium bubbles. It had very little lacing. It has a very nice deep amber brown cloudy color with the yeast clearly floating around in it. It had a mild hoppy aroma. Its taste was a little hard for me to distinguish. Some carbonation in the mouth feel and there is a hint of an aftertaste. After a few drinks that alcohol in this brew started to hit me. It is nice drinkable brew with a bit of character.

3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours out with the good look of an amber. Good head, slowly dissolving with decent lacing. The smell of hops is very strong in it, some malt hints as well. The taste is highly imbalanced leading to the hops, with a very earthy/dirt taste. Overall, quite a bit unpleasant, and though I like other Rogue beer, I wouldn't really get this one again.

3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

Pour had a nice amber look per the name, with a fine tan head.
Smell was of the sweet-hop variety.
The taste was a bit stronger than I expected & a little bitter for my taste but it was decent and I'm sure for my harder-core brethren it would be be above average.
Aftertaste was with me after a meal at Cracker Barrel so if you want to enjoy your beer for a long time this could be the ticket.

Overall it wouldn't make my favorite list but I would drink it again if someone else paid.
Cost $3.99 at Liquor Barn