American Amber Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-26-2001

Malts: Northwest Harrington and Klages, 95-115 and 135-165 Crystal.
Hops: Kent Golding and Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water.

13º PLATO
73.1 AA
33º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of American Amber Ale Alström Bros
3.35/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

US Pint Can from Good Spirits Co, Glasgow (£3.80):
I was quite disappointed with this one after expecting a lot more from it given the reviews it gets here & the fact that it is a Rogue beer but it failed to deliver for me with the taste being a particular let down. There was a decent enough malt taste to the beer but I had been expecting more hops to it as well & just more flavour really. At first I feared the can was past its best but when I checked the date it was a mere couple of months old so that doesn't seem to be the problem, it just seems like this beer wasn't for me and its not one I'll go back to I'm afraid.

2.4/5  rDev -37.3%

4.12/5  rDev +7.6%

4.25/5  rDev +11%

4.16/5  rDev +8.6%

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Some good complimentary subtle flavours
I like

4.25/5  rDev +11%

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

3.66/5  rDev -4.4%

My very first Rogue beer.

Serving style : 16 oz pint can poured into glass.

Appearance (3.75) : A very tightly knit, bubbly on top, two fingered head with a burnt copper/orange body. Opacity is about 60%.

Aroma (4) : Honey, ginger, and planty hop character out front. Bouquet is loud and boisterous. Some roasted wheat in the background. Pretty decent.

Taste (3.75) : A very malty body with a distinct mixed hop finish. Some wheat and red bean with citrus hop notes. I can taste the heads of barley in the malt, as well as some cracker. The hop is fresh, plant-like, faintly citrus. Both malt and hop are exquisitely mixed here and play their parts respectively.

Mouthfeel (3.25) : Medium bodied, with some prickly carbonation. Creamy, ends smooth. Drinkability is a bit heavy. Overall, average, nothing special.

Overall (3.66) : Yes, a good brew. I don't know if I'll finish the pint because it's a bit of a chore to drink, however the taste is there and so is the aroma. After awhile it gets bothersome and I did end up pouring half of it out as I was eating and it wasn't mixing well. I'd recommend you try this one at least to see what you think.

American Amber Ale from Rogue Ales