Half-E-Weizen - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: MrNuggets on 09-25-2001

Also know as 'Mom Hefeweizen'

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Great Western Harrington, Klages and Wheat.
Hops: Saaz.
Specialty: Coriander and Ginger.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Half-E-Weizen Alström Bros
1.65/5  rDev -53.9%

Different batch than what's posted here on the site, this one is with rose petals instead of the ginger and coriander. Seems different.

Semi hazy gold color with massive fluffy white head. Good lacing. Weak nose of pale malt and a faint floral aroma. Head does not want to die.

Extremely light and crisp. Kind of bland though. Touch of wheat, faint yeast bite but mostly very very clean. Faint floral flavor. Short concise and below par unfortunately. Refreshing at least. (474 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -44.4%

Pours with a head that quickly fades. Tempting amounts of unfiltered yeast settle to bottom of glass, as with other wheat-type beers. Rather thin mouthfeel. Has the amber-orange color of a German wheat, but that's where the similarity ends. Initial taste is that reminding me of an amber ale, but the aftertaste is unnecessarily bitter. I shouldn't make direct comparisons with other beers by name, but this tastes likes a 50-50 mix of Bell's Amber ale and Rogue's bitter ale, which leaves the beer in a strange taste category. Rogue has an outstanding Chocolate Stout and Shakespeare Stout, but this one's bitter aftertaste ruins it for me, which is unfortunate, because I like beers with intense flavor. (705 characters)

ginger aroma right away. Also nice smell of orange peel. Pours a clear dark orange. Light body for the style,but the coriander, orange and ginger come through nicely.

However, as the drinking of this beer progressed, I became more and more disappointed with it. Very little wheat character to it, so little in fact I don't know that I'd consider it a true Hefeweizen, or even a Witbier.

Overall, a rare dissapointment from Rogue (431 characters)

2.17/5  rDev -39.4%

This beer is horrible. Pours a very murky peach color with a head that evaporates right away. Aroma is of slight orange and ginger but more clean than anything else. Very soda or seltzer-like carbonation and sort of tastes like it too. There's some coriander and some weird spice which I guess is the ginger or maybe that's the saaz hops but more than anything else it is bland, carbonated like hell, and tastes like a orange juice that has been sitting on the counter for a couple weeks. Here's a case where I wish I didn't have to buy a 22 oz bomber to sample a beer. A small tasting would have been just fine. (612 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -34.1%

Hmm... very unspecial. Old bottle the culprit? Perhaps - darn Rogue not putting an easy 'brewed on' date or a best-by date.

Anyhow... a very mediocre hef at best; the rose thing almost non existent. A touch of rose while exhaling after a good swallow.

It is impressive how they get this yeasty wheat taste out of the Pacman yeast; I'm assuming a super warm ferment temp gets the bubblegum notes it needs.

Won't seek out again. (429 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -30.2%

This brew pours a medium white head of small to medium sized bubbles and a golden amber body with carbonation rising in the mug. The receding head leaves behind an excellent lacing. It has a mild fruity/floral aroma. I was disappointed with the taste of the brew though. I was expecting something like a Hefe-Weizen and I didn't get it. It had a bitter aftertaste that was atypical. It had a smooth initial taste, but that finished kind of ruined it for me. (457 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -29.6%

"Mom Hefeweizen" Ale Brewed with Rose Petals. Purchased at a local Ralph's market. Served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Expectations are average given the brewery.

Not paired with food.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger head of beige colour, poor thickness, awful cream, and laughably bad retention (unmitigated by its rather low ABV). It retains less than twenty seconds. Colour is a cloudy semitransparent yellow. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Rather bland for the style.

Sm: Weak orange peel, clove, underwhelming barley, and water. The orange feel seems a bit artificial and syrupy. A mild to moderate strength aroma. No yeast or alcohol comes through.

T: Clove and light orange peel. There's an awkward competition between wheat and barley for control of the foundation, which results in an empty off-kilter body. Hints of lemon. The best note is the light ginger, which may be the only good choice in the whole flavour profile. Rather understated and boring all around. Bland. Lacks presence. No complexity or subtlety. Even the malts are restrained. A simple boring beer. No alcohol or yeast comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet - too much so on both counts. Adequate carbonation. A bit too light on the palate. Not thick enough.

Dr: A failed attempt to combine two distinct styles. It ends up not working in either of them. I applaud experimentation, but this was a poor effort. I certainly wouldn't get it again. It's drinkability but low quality. Wouldn't even make a good session beer. A letdown from Rogue. Even the name is stupid.

C- (1,786 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -29.3%

Picked up a bottle of Mom because it sounded interesting. Poured in a tumbler pint, the beer is a bright, slightly hazy, goldenrod coloring with a tall, fluffy, light, white head that settles quickly into only a trace of film. Aromas of toasted grains, with a hint of rose. The beer's flavors are toasted cereal initially, with a sharpness to it that makes it a bit hard to drink. Subtle buttery and floral highlights come through at the end of the palate, but just barely. The aftertaste is roasted, and a touch on the astringent side. The finish is quick, roasted, and slightly dry. (584 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -27.9%

Appearance: Poured into a weizen glass, just because I can. The color is a hazy straw that is leaning toward cloudy; however, it still has a long way to go. Two fingers of fluffy, thick, white head dissipated to leave trails along the glass and a foamy ring around the edge.

Smell: It smells a lot like Blue Moon, only a little lighter. Coriander, lemon citrus, yeast, and ginger.

Taste: Lemon citrus, ginger, coriander, and metallic hops. There is also a little kick of pepper and pine spice. I guess you can’t have an Oregon brew without a little pine spice.

Drinkability: This is what I get for buying a $7 bottle of “hefeweizen” brewed by hop heads. It is drinkable, but it is no hefeweizen. It is more of a witbier-pale ale hybrid. (745 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Bottle: Poured a golden orangey color beer with a small bubbly white head with minimal retention. Aroma of coriander is kind of overwhelming. Taste is also dominated by coriander and leaves little or no place to wheat and ginger. Very average for the style and very average for this brewery. (291 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -27.4%

Clear, which is strange for a hefeweizen. No cloud at all. Good had, though.

Smells of wheat, lemon, honey, and malt.

Tastes very sweet and lemony, little bit of sour wheat taste at the end, but the yeast flavor is non-existent.

The mouthfeel is thin and fizzy. Not rally to style.

Highly unoffensive and drinkable, though I'd probably pull a different wheat. (371 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -26.5%

Pours slightly hazed (in first half), then cloudy (in second), golden with a fluffy white head that leaves some lacing.

The signature Pac-man yeast is used, but is very well-covered. The smell is of ginger, coriander and a pils-like grassiness. Some wheat tang. It says "Hefeweizen" on bottle - doesn't smell like that. "Witbier" here. Nope. Not that either. Okay - this will not be "in the style", as it is it's own thing. "Potpourri" style will be more apt I suppose.

The taste is medicinal ("Mom"'s herbal medicine? - My bottle states the alias of "Mom" on it). Honey sweetness with ginger and a black-pepper coriander. The Saaz hops lend more of an herbal, rather than a grassy tone (though some of latter is present with a bit of bitterness). Odd that. "Odd", though, is appropriate for this one, though. Herbal/medicinal seems to do battle with, rather than balance the sweetness. There is a bit of bitterness, too, in the finish, that is overcome by sweetness again. A touch of grape?? I don't know where this is going (though "down the drain" crosses the mind, briefly). A "Band-aids taste mixes in as well, leaving this less than desirable. A bit salty, too. Wow - this is somewhat of a mess.

Appropriately light-bodied. I can't complain about the mouthfeel, though, as it seems fitting for the "style", and works - for the most part.

Never reached "drain pour" levels, but "Mom" deserves more than this. I still don't know why they wrote "Hefeweizen" on the bottle. In the end - too - I don't know - unenjoyable. Different, though. (1,545 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -26.5%

picked up a bomber at jungle jim's in fairfield at 1.99.pours a hazey orange with a head that dissipates quickly.tastes like seltzer water with honey,ginger and coriander mixed in.overall i'm not too big of a fan.might be because it's an old bottle,but even then i've had older hefes that have had more flavor than this.half-e-weizen is a good name i guess. (357 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -26.5%

A - Towering three finger head on top of a more or less clear golden body. The foam settles pretty quickly, but leaves nice lace.

S - Spicy wheat aroma with herbal hop notes.

T - Sour, spicy wheat flavor with grassy, herbal hops. Dry chalky finish with some soapy notes.

M - Medium to heavy body, moderate carbonation and a dry finish.

D - Nothing about this beer makes it difficult to drink, but it isn't exactly the kind of beer that inspires me to keep sipping either. This isn't really half-a-weizen, it is more like not-a-weizen. It doesn't seem like a wit beer either, it really lacks any redeeming character at all; which, in my opinion, makes it a stylistically spot-on American style wheat beer. (708 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -25.7%

Pours a brown color with a small head that dies off quickly and doesn't leave any lacing on the glass. The aroma is an odd mixture of spices ... I honestly don't care for the aroma. Some ginger in there with something else that I can't place. The flavor is similar to the aroma, in that there are several undesirable flavors that I can't place ... and that I don't like. It has a really musty thing going on with a citrus kick. Didn't enjoy it much. (449 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -25.4%

Poured from a bomber into an imperial pint glass. This one is actually the "MoM Hefeweizen" but apparently this is the same beer.

It pours a golden color, clear with a small bubbly white head. Not much retention or lacing.

The aroma is grassy and earthy, with definite wheat tones. Not much of the coriander or ginger on the nose.

The flavor is a little better... I can pick up the coriander in there, and there's a bitter kick to it too that I didn't pick up on the nose. Still nothing that's blowing me away. The mouthfeel is rough to me, don't like the aftertaste at all.

All in all, I'm not a fan of this one. Rogue tends to be really hit or miss for me, but this one is a miss. Hopefully my Super Bowl beers go up from here! (734 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The Beer poured Golden and very clear with a fine white head that held on for a long time. It had a strong aroma of those cheap yellow butterscotch candies that overpowered almost everything else. The mouthfeel was thin and the butterscotch carried through in the flavor and drove in to a bitter finish. I love Rogue's beer, but this is not their best effort. (359 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -24.6%

Tried on tap at Rogue PDX airport bar as Mom Hefe, 28 Aug 2012. Served in a Rogue shaker with lemon (I didn't ask for one).

Lemon promptly removed from the side of the glass. Minimal white head. Lightly carbonated. Cloudy golden brown in color. Aroma is lemon, some clove. Starts similar to the aroma, wheat, clove, lemon (though not sure how much of the lemon is attributable to the actual lemon that was on the glass). Medium body, light ethanol. Maybe some ginger is noticeable through the middle. Overall, not bad but not anything I'd seek out again either.

Was expecting more of a hefe than a wit, I suppose Half-a-Weizen would've given that away. (655 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -24%

I poured this beer out from a growler. It poured out with a decent color and the carbonation looked interesting at first. However, I didn't like how it seemed to be pretty see through. It didn't have any of the tell tale cloudiness of the hefes that I tend to like.

The smell was ok, I could catch a little coriander in it, however it wasn't a strong smell. The taste was uninspired, I could taste the spiciness to some extent. However, I wouldn't call this a better hefe taste, compared to other hefe's I have had.

It had a bit of carbonation, not bad after taste

The drinkability was pretty decent, I could see myself having a few of them on a hot summer day. However, I just wasn't really overall impressed.

I would definitely say this isn't a high-point of what I have seen from Rogue. Overall this is a very mediocre hefe. (834 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -23.7%

Grab this beer after a free Tequila tasting at the local Ewa Beach Pantry. My frind suggested a Hefeweizen would be great with dinner.Next day poured the cold Rogue MoM into a pilsner glass.

Color is staw not much of a head, but nice lacing.
Smell: Pizza dough
Taste: Was surprised by the tart taste at first. As the beer warmed I was able to pick up the more subtle citrus, spice taste and sweetness. The coriander added a slight wheat taste. It is a dry beer with a bitter aftertaste.
Mouthfeel. It taste ok but I would like a little more carbination.
Overall: Ok, but I don't care for the bitter aftertaste. (612 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

Purchased as Mom Hefeweizen (for Mother's Day?).

A - Slightly hazy pale orange with a 2 inch white head that fades to a small cap. There is little lacing on this beer.

S - Smells like watery ginger ale, floral notes, and a medicinal scent.

T - Bitter herbal taste up front with a faint ginger/medicinal taste on the finish. Not too good.

M - Somewhat flat. Bitterness hits the entire mouth and not in a good way.

D - Not very good beer. I am glad I was able to try it in Hawaii as I have not seen it where I live in California. (532 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -22.3%

05/14/14 On tap. Not your Mom's heffe by any stretch of the imagination. The presence of ginger bends to the east of the refresh heading my mind was set for. It slips by the nose detection system & even evades the taste buds but gets all the way to the back palate then thumbs it's nose over the shoulder...like a gatecrasher that's the other side of the barricade. Merely worth a shrug & a wait & see to find what may be added to the party. IMO, not much. In fact it may be adding to a cloying aftertaste that detracts from the usual refreshment I get from straight up heffes. Going rougue, in this case, got a bit off the reservation...but perhaps that's their point. In conclusion, this did grow on me...but then again so does moss, where the sun don't shine. (762 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Straw-colored. Blondish. Typical Hefe / Wit appearance. Nothing special, but nice.

S- Cloves. Bananas. Very bready. Gave a sense of lightness. No real definitive flavors detected through smell.

T- A little bland for what I've come to expect from Rogue. Best way I could explain is if you took a solid wit or hefe and watered it down a little bit. Definitely bready, a little citrus bite, but nothing overpowering.

M- Light. A little watery. It goes along with the smell and taste accordingly.

O- Not the best I've ever had, but not overly disappointing. This would be something that I would definitely prescribe to someone new to craft beers. Good starter beer. (669 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -20.9%

A: Cloudy, apricot color, with a flimsy white head... especially for a Hefeweizen.

S: To be blunt, it smelled like soggy breakfast cereal. Seriously, I didn't get much fruit at all.

T: I don't think I like Rogue's Pacman yeast in this setting. It made the beer taste skunky and the fruit a bit rotten.

M: Very low carbonation and virtually no prickle at all from it. No lacing either, which was a problem in my opinion.

O: One of the most un-interesting Witbiers I've had in a long time. That's too bad... but unlike many of my peeps... I really dig Rogue's stuff overall. (576 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -20.4%

Aroma - Sweet malts with hints of coriander and spice. Still not what I would call classic Hefeweizen.

Appearance - Pale yellow with a slight cloudiness. No head retention at all.

Taste - Tastes more of a lager beer than hefeweizen, really. There is a bite in the flavor too that I'm not exactly thrilled with. Not particularly a bad beer just not what I expect from a craft hefeweizen.

Notes - Not really a lot of carbonation which was also disappointing. Maybe I picked up an old bottle. (492 characters)

Half-E-Weizen from Rogue Ales