Half-E-Weizen - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: MrNuggets on 09-25-2001

Also know as 'Mom Hefeweizen'

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Great Western Harrington, Klages and Wheat.
Hops: Saaz.
Specialty: Coriander and Ginger.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Half-E-Weizen Alström Bros
3.3/5  rDev -7.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a hefe. glass. Took some time to find this brew here, as 'hefeweizen' is well emblazened on the bottle whilst the website dictates this as a Belgian style. Pours a clear golden straw in color and sports an inch of pure white foam. Offers decent retention and light lacing overall.

Nose of yeast, touch of wheat and some pleasant peppery spice notes. Flavor is subtle yet quite sweet with a notable lemon oil finish. Feel is medium full with some yeasty and bready characteristics and a notable citric finish. Bit watery in the end diminishes.

Overall a miss for me, and quite laughable at the price point. The PacMan funk seems a bit askew again. And to call a Wit a Hefe. or half a hefe. or whatever just pushes me further away from this brewery in the future. There are better options at half the price all day long.

Note: Belgian Style Blonde on their website, really now....this beer is a cute though homeless orphan. (959 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -20.9%

A: Cloudy, apricot color, with a flimsy white head... especially for a Hefeweizen.

S: To be blunt, it smelled like soggy breakfast cereal. Seriously, I didn't get much fruit at all.

T: I don't think I like Rogue's Pacman yeast in this setting. It made the beer taste skunky and the fruit a bit rotten.

M: Very low carbonation and virtually no prickle at all from it. No lacing either, which was a problem in my opinion.

O: One of the most un-interesting Witbiers I've had in a long time. That's too bad... but unlike many of my peeps... I really dig Rogue's stuff overall. (576 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -15.4%

This Witbier poured out as a cloudy yellow with some sediment floating through out till it settled at the bottom. The head was pretty big, white and fluffy. The aromas were slightly grainy and had a little bit of citrus in there too. The flavor I felt was pretty weak. I know that I've had stronger flavor Wit's before. This beer's mouthfeel is soft and on the light side as well. It's ok, but I wasn't very impressed with it. (426 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +7.5%

My mom pours a bright golden straw color, pretty much completely cloudy. It glows nicely, with a white halo of lace left after the foamy head subsides. Heavenly.

The nose is good warm wheat tones, with a dash of lemon, coriander, and graham crackers. It;s pleasant, not soft, not bitter, just right.

The flavor carries the same torch as the aroma. Light pizza crust, the bitterness of lemon butts in more in the flavor. A bit of skunkyness adds the final touches to the finish. It's not overly complex, but it's smooth and tastes good.

The body is relatively weak, compared to what I was expecting. I was anticipating a creamy full fluffy feel. This isn't it, but it's not watery. The carbonation is spot on for crispness.

Drinkability... it pretty much laughs at it. You could drink this all day. (805 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -25.4%

Poured from a bomber into an imperial pint glass. This one is actually the "MoM Hefeweizen" but apparently this is the same beer.

It pours a golden color, clear with a small bubbly white head. Not much retention or lacing.

The aroma is grassy and earthy, with definite wheat tones. Not much of the coriander or ginger on the nose.

The flavor is a little better... I can pick up the coriander in there, and there's a bitter kick to it too that I didn't pick up on the nose. Still nothing that's blowing me away. The mouthfeel is rough to me, don't like the aftertaste at all.

All in all, I'm not a fan of this one. Rogue tends to be really hit or miss for me, but this one is a miss. Hopefully my Super Bowl beers go up from here! (734 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Split w/ bbb099

A: A slightly hazy yellow that is pretty reminiscent of top-shelf apple cider. It poured a nice finger's width of head that seemed pretty thick up until the moment it disappeared. Definitely some yeast haze, but not nearly as much as I'd thought there would be.

S: Definitely picking up a hint of coriander and hops, but I'm unable to detect the wheat. This isn't a bad thing, as the combination of spicy hops and citrus is pretty enticing. I'm pleasantly surprised.

T: Pretty tame, not following the nose nearly as well as I was hoping. This is of course not meant as a huge knock, as the smell was quite good. Definitely getting a hint of hops, and the wheat is finally poking it's head up, but not a whole lot going on. There's an ever-so-slight hint of ginger, but nothing that leaves me cringing. As weird as this might sound I was actually hoping to at least get a hint of yeast.

M: A heavier body than I had expected, as the hops and coriander leave something behind as it goes.

D: Definitely a solid beer, but memorable only for it's smell and it's lack of any defining taste. This would go a LONG way on a hot day, but it fizzled out a bit at the end for me. Close, but not quite there. (1,218 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +26.3%

Shared with mjyoung. Poured into a snifter.

A - Pours a cloudy, dark golden color. Lots of bubbles and ample amount of white foam. Also forms a pretty lacing around the glass.

S - Strong inviting fruity aroma with notes of coriander, lime, and yeast.

T - Disappointingly, the taste was not quite up to par to the smell. Sweet and fruity throughout, but it is a little on the mild side flavor-wise. I detected hints of banana, lemon, and spiciness which I assume is coming from the ginger.

*Had it on-tap at Brewer's on the Bay a few months back. I definitely tasted ginger and more spiciness in that one.

M - Real thick, creamy and smooth. Moderate carbonation. Medium to full bodied.

D - Great drinkability. Probably one of the sweetest beers I have had. (763 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -19.6%

Chilled 1 pint bottle poured to a Pilsner glass. Once again I have to applaud Rogue for offering up another product with a fine looking artwork for the label. Nice touch with the Mom-like character offering up a tidy microbrew to all and sundry, anyways...

Pour a bright golden color with very little if any cloud. Gives a strong sense of carbonation as many effervescent bubbles rise rapidly in a race to the join the 2 fingers of loose bubbly head.

For an ale that clearly boasts coriander and ginger as its ingredients on the label, the nose of this brew is a little weak. Those notes are noticeable but not dominant (possibly a good thing depending on who you talk to), there are indications of soft malts and hops but overall the nose is uneventful.

Unfortunately, taste is very much inline with the aroma. Chewy malt clearly dominates whilst the yeast and saaz hops offer up a very unique blend. Herby spice is evident however its hard to say if this is a result of the coriander and ginger or the grainy natural hops. This is admittedly a half take on the weizen style but all I can say is that even half is a bit much for what is delivered.

The level of carbonation ended up being far below what I had expected after the initial visual inspection - over all very smooth and light bodied with a bitter taste up front and a dry finish.

Sadly, this was a mediocre beer at best and whilst its a long way away from being a dog of a brew, its hard to find any glorious features. Quarter-E-Weizen perhaps? (1,512 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -7.8%

Served with an orange wedge which I promptly threw away. This beer pours a pale orange color with a little haziness to it and very little head. The smell is weak with some banana and fruit esters. The taste opens up with spice and orange peel, and finishes with a slight banana taste. The mouthfeel is a little harsh and seems overcarbonated. (342 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a hazy yellow color with decently sized white head, leaves a little bit of lacing. Smells of wheat and spices. It is lacking the traditional banana/clove smell. You can taste the wheat, coriander and ginger. This rogue offering is more bitter than a typical hefewizen. Mouthfeel is medium with average carbonation. Overall, it could be a fine beer, but it is certainly not what I expected for a hefewizen. (411 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +8.1%

I had to pick one up for 2.99 at my local bottle shop for a bomber.

A - Pours a hazy yellow with very minimal head which may be due to it being slightly old. Hope it is not skunked.

S - Slight bitter with very mild banana and clove. Mostly smells like pale malt.

T - Starts off bitter with a mild sweetness and finishes dry Not really much banana but I do get slight clove and bread.

M - Very light and refreshing.

D - Glad it wasn't skunked or terrible tasting for 2.99. If you can find it fresh (and can somehow tell) it would be a fantastic brew. Very nice. (565 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +8.9%

I usually stay away from Rogue beers, mostly because they are far more expensive than they are worth. Even here in Oregon, where it's brewed, this bottle of MoM Hefeweizen cost $6.49 -- outrageous.

I had to get it, though, because the picture is of Mo, of Mo's Restaurant fame. Perhaps one might think it's just some nondescript old lady, but the cigarette in her hand gives it away.

I was a bit disappointed with the appearance, since I was sort of in the mood for a true Hefeweizen, when the beer poured clear gold with little head. It's another one of those beers that reminds me of a urinalysis test jar. Not really a bad thing, just not the most appealing color. On the bright side, the last glass has a nicer appearance due to the cloudy yeast being dredged up from the bottom of the bottle. Always one of my favorite things about pouring Hefeweizens.

The ginger comes out right away in the nose, without any warning, and I am not a huge fan. It almost gives it sort of a sour or even stale aroma.

The taste is pretty amazing, but I am sort of a sucker for coriander. Calling this beer a Hefeweizen is sort of a lie -- it used to be known as "Half-e-Weizen" before they changed the label, which I guess is more appropriate. In any case I would call it a Belgian Wit that misplaced its orange zest.

The mouthfeel is great. The extra bit of carbonation in this beer works well to help move the flavors around on your tongue, sort of bringing out each note one by one.

It's pretty drinkable, if you're rich. I had no problem getting rid of the 22 ounce bottle I bought, but for $6.49 I won't be getting a second one any time soon. There are far too many offerings right now for much cheaper, and frankly many of them are much better as well. (1,750 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -8.9%

Thanks to my brother for bringing in this beer from Louisiana.

The beer pours a hazy straw color with a white head. The aroma is very heavy on the wheat and lemons. I also get some peaches, syrup and sugar notes. The flavor is heat, oranges, lemon and surprisingly, some mint. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Overall this beer is a bit disappointing. (363 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

This review is for the Mom Hefe.

Fairly vigorous pour resulted in a foamy head, and reasonable lacing throughout the session. Very pale in color.

Bottle says that it is brewed with coriander, and it pretty much dominates the smell.. I think?

This is a really interested hefe. I'm generally a purist when it comes to beer styles. At least the bottle notified me that it was brewed with coriander and ginger. It's not a bad beer by any means, but a very interesting interpretation of a Hefeweizen. This beer tasted a bit off until I got to the second half of the bomber, and made sure I got all the goodies off of the bottom and into my pint glass. That seemed to smooth the taste out a little bit. It's a bit on the bitter side, but it's not hop bitter. Not exactly my favorite flavor in a beer, but it's ok.

This beer was PRETTY dang carbonated when I first poured it. Ended up a little smoother towards the end. Crisp like moth hefes, with a lingering bitterness from either the spices, or maybe even the Saaz? I don't think it's the Saaz though because at 30 IBU it shouldn't be this bitter. Me thinks the ginger is the culprit.

Overall, an interesting beer. I would suggest at least trying it, but this is definitely not something I would have on a regular basis. (1,271 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -6.7%

had this at the huge kickbacks dinner in Jacksonville, FL. I took some notes but mostly doing this from memory.
Appearance: cloudy, unflitered wheat
Smell: spicey bready malts
Taste: spicy, ginger like flavor. I thught this was a german style, guess not (255 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

22 ounces, on to the beer:

Pours like a kristalweizen with a wheatfield yellow color, no haze, and a billowy head on top. Lacing and retention are adequate. The coriander aroma is easy to pick out, along with some oatmeal notes. We're smelling like a witbier so far...

The coriander flavor is very minor in the flavor comparde to the smell. While I like the body and malt sweetness, the ginger is distracting and it becomes very bitter tasting in the aftertaste. The carbonation is under control, nothing pounds on the palate, which in this case I like.

Calling this a hefeweizen is an insult to the style. It's a spiced wheat ale, ok? It's decent, I'm not crazy about it, but if I were grading this as a hefe, scores would drop in each aspect. (748 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -24%

I poured this beer out from a growler. It poured out with a decent color and the carbonation looked interesting at first. However, I didn't like how it seemed to be pretty see through. It didn't have any of the tell tale cloudiness of the hefes that I tend to like.

The smell was ok, I could catch a little coriander in it, however it wasn't a strong smell. The taste was uninspired, I could taste the spiciness to some extent. However, I wouldn't call this a better hefe taste, compared to other hefe's I have had.

It had a bit of carbonation, not bad after taste

The drinkability was pretty decent, I could see myself having a few of them on a hot summer day. However, I just wasn't really overall impressed.

I would definitely say this isn't a high-point of what I have seen from Rogue. Overall this is a very mediocre hefe. (834 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- pours a very pale yellow with a huge 3 finger white head. Lacing is good as per the Rogue standard....a little spotty though.

S- very mild aroma of lemon. Not a whole lot going here.

T- a nice burst of bitter lemon to start...getting slight hints of coriander and orange peel, but the lemon is what overwhelms. Its not the bitterness you get from a piney IPA...just more of a sweet bitterness, if that makes sense. Its quite nice, actually.

M- feel is real good. Very light, has a nice watery texture to it...yeah, you're probably laughing at me liking a watery, thin texture...but look at the style. You're not supposed to have something heavy and thick.

D- I'm all about this. Great summer beer. (745 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -5.6%

Swirl poured the bomber into a glass mug. A fluffy bright white head on a hazy gold. The head soon diminishes to a thin layer. Good lacing. Smells of coriander and spices. Tastes of Lemon and coriander. The strong lemon is a bit of a surprise. I detect no ginger but it is listed as an ingredient. A bit of a bitter finish. Medium body. Drinkability suffers from the finish but still not bad. (392 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light golden [I did notice haziness with in my second glass but not the first], meddium white head that has good lasting power. Decent amount of tiny white carbonation rising.

Aroma of hay, spices, wheat and light malts.

Taste has some unexpected bitterness, not overpowering but more than I would expect in the style. Also some grass, lemon, coriander and a light ginger.

Mouthfeel is dry, med/light body and cleansing.

Overall, an interesting beer but certainly not stylistically usually. Rather refreshing. (521 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

Purchased as Mom Hefeweizen (for Mother's Day?).

A - Slightly hazy pale orange with a 2 inch white head that fades to a small cap. There is little lacing on this beer.

S - Smells like watery ginger ale, floral notes, and a medicinal scent.

T - Bitter herbal taste up front with a faint ginger/medicinal taste on the finish. Not too good.

M - Somewhat flat. Bitterness hits the entire mouth and not in a good way.

D - Not very good beer. I am glad I was able to try it in Hawaii as I have not seen it where I live in California. (532 characters)

3.58/5  rDev 0%

poured from 750 ml bottle into a pint glass

A- golden straw color, one finger of head, minimal lacing.

S- mainly ginger and light wheat aroma.

T- some citrus flavour but like the smell the ginger seems to dominate.

m- light body, high carbonation.

D- overall this is a decent beer I would not search it out but would buy it occasionally if it was readily available to me. (376 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a yellow golden color with one finger of white head that has nice lacing and retention. Light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of faint citrus but that is about it. Not much going on.

t - Tastes of bready malts, citrus fruits, and wheat.

m - Light body and high carbonation.

d - Not that great of a hefeweizen. Not much at all to the smell and taste was a lot of wheat and bread. Easy to drink but would probably not have again. (491 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a large 650ml bottle - rotated to ensure any sediment was recovered. No obvious date of brewing on the bottle or best before date.

A - cloudy yellow/light orange with moderate carbonation. Moderate head disappears with no lacing fairly quickly.

S - not as much nose as I had hoped; slight citrus with a bit of yeast.

T - less of the delicious yeasty flavor of some of the popular German Hefeweizens, with a slight ginger bite at the back of your throat. Not getting any of the coriander, and no citrus. Could be more concentrated.

M - decent to drink with a fairly pleasing balance even though it's got only moderate power. Smooth with slight ginger bite at the end.

D - quite drinkable, but doesn't less so than a classic Hefeweizen. Goes down quite easy.

Decent beer; pretty unique with the addition of the ginger, but didn't find enough coriander coming through. Not sure I'd get this again.

[Just looked at the style on this one and it's noted as a Witbier - of course the bottle of MoM Hefeweizen says otherwise - thinking about it in retrospect its style certainly is closer to a Witbier - doesn't really change the review that much for me though.] (1,173 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Split a bomber with a friend. They weren't a big fan, but I enjoyed it. The wheat has a smooth, lightly caramel character, certainly darker than most wits. The gentle malts are then complimented by the ginger and coriander, though the ginger is significantly bigger than the coriander. (285 characters)

Half-E-Weizen from Rogue Ales