Morimoto Soba Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.80% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Roasted Soba, Harrington, Metcalf, Munich & C-15.
Hops: Crystal.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

12º PLATO
75 AA
14º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-25-2007)
Reviews by benlaitman:

A-yellow/brown color. Good head.
S-Citrus, nutty smell.
T-lightly carbonated, not very hoppy. Slightly nutty and lemon-citrus flavor.
M-Light beer, carbonated.
D-Relatively easy to drink.

Overall: an average beer. Good with japanese food (I guess that's why they served it at Morimoto restaurant in Philly). Came in a 22 oz. bottle. Good with lighter foods I'd guess. It was fun to try, but I don't think I will go out ordering that again.

3.28/5  rDev -6.8%

This brew pours a very nice sunset color with a minor head with no real retention. The lacing is scant. The soba ale smells of sweet malts and some graininess. The taste was overly sweet with no real outstanding flavor characteristics detected. The mouthfeel was a little thin for my taste and was an overall average experience. The lingering "skunkiness" is subtle but unpleasant none the less.

2.08/5  rDev -40.9%

4.2/5  rDev +19.3%

Appearance: 1/4 head, orange-gold, cloudy, high carbonation

Smell: sweet fruit, malt, honey, and pear

Taste: toasted malt, grains, pear, a touch of apple and hops--towards the end

Mouthfeel: sweet, medium bodied, and moderate carbonation

Drinkability: One of my favorites from Rogue just because it tastes different from anything else I have ever had. This has a very interesting and complex taste for the style. I would gladly have this again...point for originality.

3.68/5  rDev +4.5%

Arriving several weeks after the main Rogue brewery release at the LCBO was Morimoto Soba Ale. A quick look at the Rogue website reveals that this brew was prepared in consultation with Iron Chef Morimoto, who was the third "Iron Chef Japanese" on the tv show.

*Note: the Ontario bottles, which require alcohol content to be clearly labelled, have a sticker that says "Light Beer, 3.8% ABV." Not sure why there is a discrepancy; this certainly tastes more like 3.8% rather than 4.8%.

Poured into a nonic. A splendid golden hue, very bright, with a ridiculously high fluffy head that will not quit. Lively visible carbonation at first. Huge patches of lacing. There seems to be something about buckwheat/soba, as every brew I've had with buckwheat in the recipe seems to have pretty rockin' head retention.

Nose is pleasant, but one dimensional. Buckwheat, nuts, a tiny whiff of west coast hoppage. Potent, enjoyable, but not much to it.

At first I really didn't dig this brew, as I found it tasted to me like an above-average light lager. But the nuts and buckwheat flavors started to make a stronger appearance as the beer warmed a touch, giving the brew a nice full flavor profile. Some citrus and saltiness notes as well. Creamy, medium bodied, mild carbonation. Would have preferred a bit stronger carbonation to cut through the thickness, but it's not bad.

It's hard to give beers like this proper credit, considering how often we tip our caps to robust porters/stouts and potent IPAs. True, I found Rogue's hoppier fare to me far more personally appealing. But this brew had its own unique character which really grew on me by the time I neared finishing the bomber. It has a simple, nutty flavor that is several cuts above your normal light ale/lager fare, which would go well on a hot day and probably pairs nicely with Japanese cuisine, far better than the standard Japanese rice lagers most sushi restaurants carry. I mean really, who's going to argue with the Iron Chef?

4.1/5  rDev +16.5%

A: This beer is a nice muddy golden color with a nice white head, that is leaving some great lacing.

S: Smelled like a generic Asian beer, but it had a few other hints of fruit and bitterness.

T: Taste was nearly off the charts. I found myself wanting to drink more and more. The smell that I had gotten from the original pour was begging to be searched more, and once I allowed it to rest on my tongue I had some nice quality notes of sweet and bitterness with an almost milky quality, which leads me to:

M: The mouthfeel for this beer was perfect. It wasn't to watery and it wasn't too full, the milkiness that I found was after the beer had a chance to dance on my tongue.

D: This beer was outstanding... if I wasn't a poor college kid, I'd reach for it nearly every-time.

Overall, I'd suggest this with a nice pairing of a lighter meal, sushi, fish, etc. Best of luck in your findings, and as always:

Cheers.

2.68/5  rDev -23.9%

Served on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: Amber color, with a thick white head. Heavy lacing on the glass.

Smell: No overpowering scents really. But I could smell some more floral type smell, grassy, corn, and malts.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Bitter taste, with a grainy grassy taste to it.

Overall: Glad I tried it but not one of my favorites by a long shot.

3.45/5  rDev -2%

Morimoto Soba, bottle. Poured light amber, hazy, with minimal head. Wheaty, citrus nose with some sourness attributed to the buckwheat. Taste is very light and clean, with a little bite. Didn't really taste the toastiness, but got a lot of the grain. A subtle, good brew.

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

3.53/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Slightly hazed golden color with three fingers of fluffy off-white foam that lingers long

Semi-sweet aroma of fresh roses and grassy notes.

Light and fresh flavor of honey malt, biscuity, a bit of a zesty finish, some lemony hops.

Even mouthfeel, not very full, but fairly crisp and tingly. Average drinkability, might like it better with a meal.

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

1/2 of a 22oz bottle served in a pint glass.

A: Amber; slightly hazy; fine white head has excellent retention.

S: Has a very appealing aroma mainly from light toasted malt but also, I believe, from the soba (buckwheat).

T: follows aroma, with just hints of the earthiness and spiciness found in bolder Rogue brews. I thought the flavor profile was excellent for a beer designed to be consumed with Asian food.

M: Enough carbonation (medium) to be a little crisp and refreshing, especially with the surprisingly dry finish. Medium body.

O: Not enough complexity to be great, but a truly fine tasting beer that, as one might expect, was an excellent pairing with sushi. Highly drinkable. Seemed to be neither harmed nor helped by warming.

3.83/5  rDev +8.8%

ST:750ml poured into a pint glass.

A: Cloudy golden-orange with a thin white head. It leaves wonderful lacing.

S: Peach, citrus, and honey.

T: Starts sour and sweet with honey and rice. It has a bit of oatmeal in the middle to the finish. The alcohol stops to say hello at the end along with some crisp citrus from the hops.

M: Light and dry.

D: It has low abv, nice taste without immense tongue tiring flavor, and it is smooth.

Overall: I was interested in this beer as soon as I saw it, and I am happy with the final result. It is light, has nice flavor, and is incredibly drinkable. It starts and finishes with slight sour and sweet. It worked very well with fish (which is what Rogue suggested would make a good pairing). This beer is restrained and balanced. I highly recommend for a session beer.

3.8/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The color is a soft, hazy pale gold. There's an effervescence evident immediately, and it serves to keep up a soapy pillow of clean white head, which actually sits pretty impressively. It doesn't recede from just over a finger's height, and it leaves some good fluffy lacing, mostly in spotting but pretty dense.
The aroma gives off a whiff of light fruits at first, and I get impressions of mango and apricot, but jammier. Maybe it's just the way it comes out. Rogue says Soba is not a type of wheat but a member of the rhubarb family. That makes more sense. It's a nice, light aroma.
The flavor drops some of that sweetness for a bit of tobacco, a floral note, and an overlying soft nuttiness. I can see how this would pair well with a lot of different foods in different ways. There's a bit of grains, and it could be cleaner in the finish, but I like it.
The feel is fluffy and well-carbonated without being overly filling in a light but not shallow body.

Morimoto Soba Ale from Rogue Ales