Morimoto Soba Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-25-2007

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Roasted Soba, Harrington, Metcalf, Munich & C-15.
Hops: Crystal.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

75 AA
14º Lovibond
1.06/5  rDev -70.1%

From a bottle to a snifter.

And we are off to the Bash A Beer Olympics.... Let the horribleness begin.

I would really love to write just plain awful, avoid at all costs. But the public needs to know just how awful.

After this light colored spew made it to my glass I quickly turned my head wondering where that smell was coming from. Without being able to pinpoint where this rechid smell was coming from, I started to ask some questions. Hey fellas.... Has there been cats missing in the area? I think maybe somebody is cooking them out back. Wait a second....It's not feline delicacy being cooked, it's the shit wafting out of my glass from this dank beer. I reached to the heavens for the strength to stomach a sip of this nut crusted turd. I'm ashamed I called in a favor from the almighty for this one. A sip and my good tooth turned black. Immediate drain pour. I don't know what rocket scientist dreamed this fail up but they need to be drug out in the street and shot.

1.59/5  rDev -55.1%

I can get Rogue in Australia, but this one never really gripped me enough to buy it for the exorbitant import price. But I was always curious so thought while in America, it was worth trying it out.

Pours a very clear light golden colour, with a fine-bubbled head of white. Lacing is extremely good, even if it sticks in obviously large bubbles around the glass. Looks decent enough.

Nose is really rather sweet, with an almost sickly malted grain cloyingness and a whiff of overripe apples. Nothing much of anything else, except a lingering butteriness that affixes itself to the sweetness and makes it seem worse.

Taste is weird, and confronting. Big welling of slightly corny sweetness, more of that faint apple aroma and a hint of something that could be spicy. Oh, it's such an unpleasant flavour - something that just rankles me, rubs me in completely the wrong way. Maybe I just really despite Soba, but in the beer, it's horrid. Feel is light enough, but doesn't do anything to protect against the rank flavours on the palate.

Oh, horrible, horrible. I can see that this is a beer that's likely to polarise opinion, but it has me firmly on the side of despising it. The sweetness is cloying and unpleasant, almost like the juice from a garbage bin. Maybe some people like this flavour. I think it's repugnant.

I'm so pleased I only spent the US price on this and not the AU price. It doesn't work for me at all - indeed I find it truly offensive - be warned that there is the rank possibility that you will hate this.

To preface this, I've never liked any Rogue product except for their Brutal IPA. I keep rolling the dice with them, but maybe 12 beers have yielded one which I even could call "solid."

Morimoto tastes like a F***ing lager. A bready, biscuity, dull, lager with, of all things, a buttery chardonnay quality.

Serious diacetyl. My buddy said it tasted like straight Safeway brand margarine. Other reviewers are remarking that this beer is interesting. I am perfectly happy to not "like" a beer as long as it is intriguing or challenging, and this is neither. Dull, watery swill. I could see where a palette acclimated to dull Japanese pilsners would dig this all over, but it's only worth putting out on the lawn for me.

Another crappy to marginal rogue beer.

2.11/5  rDev -40.4%

22 ounce bottle from BevMo in Torrance

Poured into my Stone pint glass with a golden color, more orange than yellow

1/4 inch white head that left some lacing but disapperared fairly quickly

Smell was a little nutty with some fruit I could not really distinguish, not much of an overall smell

Taste was way too sweet and did not have enough hops to battle with the excess of malt, bitter in the wrong way, and hard to get down

Could not drink more than one bottle of this, way too fruity and not a light taste

I love Rogue beers, but this and their Chipotle Ale are the worst of theirs I have had, this was a disappointment because the Black Morimoto Ale was not that bad

Not really worth trying unless you were curious like me, but for five dollars, you can find much better bombers out there, like the other one I drank tonight: Moylan's Hopsickle

2.16/5  rDev -39%

Beer poured a decent, medium amber in color...hazy with a nice head. Lacing lasted a while.
Smell was sour. I actually couldn t get a handle on it. Sour, rotten fruit maybe.
Taste was also very weird. Sour once again was the overwhelming sense. Really couldnt distuinguish and malt or hops....
I am hoping this beer was old...surely this isnt the way it was supposed to be.

2.17/5  rDev -38.7%

Always open to something new, but what is this?
It looks good in the glass a hazing orange with a nice white head. The smell is off. Very vegetabel nose to it. Honestly I don't know what the hell a soba ale is but I know this smell can not be the inteded outcome of a good beer. Very buttery taste if you like land o lakes this is for you. What are they trying for here? at $4.50 a bottle I feel like I've been had. This simply is not a good beer whatever the style. As Ungespundet would say "this beer has obvious flaws". I just say it sucks.

2.29/5  rDev -35.3%

Picked this up at Luke's Liquors a few months ago
Poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours light copper color with a one finger of white head. Head recedes rapidly without much lacing.

S: Nose is of biscuit, caramel malts, a hint of fruitines and some light citrus hops.

T: Taste starts with the caramel malts, and then an odd fruity flavoring comes in. Can't quite put my finger on exactly what the heck it is. Finish has some oddly balanced citrus hops.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, rather light watery feel to this.

D: Goes down ok, not too filling, not too much of a kick, better offerings of the style out there. I was highly unimpressed with this beer. I would not buy it again.

2.31/5  rDev -34.7%

I've always found it strange that my local Bevmo selection of Rogue beers are typically picked over, but there's always about forty of these bad boys taking up about one quarter of the Rogue section. Now I see why.

Pours a deep, golden color. Not a bad looking beer. About a half inch head, decent mouthfeel and carbonation. Clearly it's well conditioned.

The problem is the mixture of tastes. What is this trying to be? A blonde ale with spices, a lager-esque ale, I just don't know. Weird spices, a strange rice after-taste, the malt tastes funky (I don't think the beer had gone bad, or I wouldn't have reviewed it) ... this is just unpleasant. I swear there is garlic salt and chili powder mixed into this.

2.5/5  rDev -29.4%

Really nice and crisp like you'd expect from some sort of lager. Still, there was this strange off-taste that I couldn't place for the life of me. It wasn't bad per say, but it somehow still seemed to detract from the overall quality of the beer. Overall I really wasn't a fan of the experience.

2.68/5  rDev -24.3%

Served on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: Amber color, with a thick white head. Heavy lacing on the glass.

Smell: No overpowering scents really. But I could smell some more floral type smell, grassy, corn, and malts.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Bitter taste, with a grainy grassy taste to it.

Overall: Glad I tried it but not one of my favorites by a long shot.

2.73/5  rDev -22.9%

22oz bottle in pint glass

pours thick and there is no head with a heavy pour. very slightly hazy and a golden ciden color. it smells sweet like carmel and green apples. it has a very light body that is crisp and has low carbonation. it is slightly dry and has a light ale flavor with a subtle sweetness of fruit and wheat. no significant hop or malt taste. drinkable and alright, but kind of boring.

2.74/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not the best offering from Rogue. Pours a muddy orange color, small head and not really any lacing. Aroma is hoppy and sweet smelling. When I drink this I feel like I'm drinking a watered down orange or grapefruit juice. Mouthfeel is thin. Quite sour as well which lingers into the aftertaste. Probably won't get it again.

2.8/5  rDev -20.9%

22oz bomber poured into my favorite pint.

A- A light yellow, with what I first thought was a chill haze, but it did not clear up and maintained its faint fogginess throughout the drink.

S- A sweet leafy aroma, with a little yeast.

T- More of the sweetness, almost like a cider was mixed in with an ale. Its got a peculiar weirdness to it... sort of like one of those veggie corn-dogs. It tastes sort of normal, but you get this building weird flavor that tells you something isn't normal, and eventually, isn't good.

M- Average mouthfeel, could use a little more carbonation.

O- I won't try it again. Its not flawed but its weird. An expirament that I can do without.

2.8/5  rDev -20.9%

Pours a cloudy, pale amber color topped by a light and white head. There is a good amount of carbonation with lots of bubbles rising to the top of the glass. The head falls to a thin crown and leaves little lace. The aroma is nutty and lightly hoppy, with some buttery scotch smell to it.

The taste has a mild malt flavor and hints of fruit with a light body and dry mouthfeel.

2.83/5  rDev -20.1%

$5.99 for the bottle.

24K gold colour, 1 finger head of foam, a bit of lacing.

Fruity aromas, some roasted smell(from Soba?), also weird bitter notes. Smells interesting.

The taste, I guess, translates what I smelled. Bitter almost burnt grain flavour, no hints, for me, of any malty goodness. Oh...soba=buckwheat. Well, this little rascal isn't doing much for me but is far from being a drain pour.

Thinnish body with medium carbonation, it's a good thing Soba's on the lower end of the abv scale or I probably would chuck it down the drain. One and done. For good.

2.88/5  rDev -18.6%

Drank this one while eating my leftover House Special Chow Mei Fun. My bottle says 9 ingredients versus the 8 listed here. I think Mine has Willamette listed whereas it is not listed above here. Anyway, here we go.

Poured a copper color with a medium head. Not much retention.

Aroma is bready with what unfortunately seems to be some diacetyl. Light hops are picked up as well.

Taste follows the nose. Did not really get very much of the butter taste that I expected after the aroma, but it is indeed present which may also explain the creamy mouthfeel, which I like, but it unfortunately comes at the expense of sacrificing the the quality of the nose and taste. Malty, grassy, citrusy, and yes a little buttery.

I never seen or smelled buckwheat in it's natural or roasted form, only the noodle, so I can't really tell if that flavor or aroma is present.

Even with the diacetyl, the beer isn't terrible, and it actually went quite well with the meal I had. I'd pick it up again if I was looking for something to pair with a meal similar to the one I had today.

2.88/5  rDev -18.6%

Appearance: A light pale amber color with light tints of orange. There beer presents cloudiness, there is some clarity where light can pass through the beer. There was a 2 finger head that dissipated quickly to a 1/4 inch white line. There is some lacing on the glass.

Nose: This is an odd take on a beer. A lightly toasted malt, soba (of course), citrus, esters, apple/pears, and hint of some sweetness.

Taste: The malt take a back seat to the buckwheat. There malt is there but in a thin format. It kinda taste like noodle beer. there is some esters and citrus. There are notes of flour.

Overall: This is an interesting beer. I don't know if I like it or not. I feel a little less thrilled about it. There is an astringent mouth feel, that has a bitter finish. It seem to me it is like drinking half cooked noodles with a spin on it.

2.91/5  rDev -17.8%

Crap!! Meant to get the Morimoto Imperial Pilsner - went from psyched to bummed in one whiff.

Terrific look to this one... Deep, golden color and outrageous, half-glass worth of foamy head. Some lacing on the way down.

Smell is grassy, with wheat quality.

Flavor was too close for comfort to a macro lager. Lightly nutty, like a brown ale.

Mouthfeel was pretty bland. Hangs out on the middle of the tongue for a few seconds, then ... poof. Nada.

Easy drinking beer, for sure. Nothing offensive or harsh about it. If you enjoy the soft nature of this brew, you could definitely session it.

2.93/5  rDev -17.2%

Pours a bright golden colour with a a thick white head.

Toasted scents spring forward- toasted grains or nuts (obviously the toasted soba, though I could not have told you that), as well as some butter. It's an interesting and rather pleasant smell, and totally unlike any other beer I have encountered. However, it is not particularly complex. I get the toasted grains and that is it.

As interesting as the scent is, the taste is totally underwhelming. The toasted flavour is present but not as strongly, and is overshadowed by a thin, watery body that is not enjoyable at all. Very very light, and too much carbonation. It is really hard for me to get past the poor mouthfeel to get much from the taste. The more I drink the more I can recognize the toasted flavour as soba, and it is reminiscent of soba noodles. Unique, but not very good.

Definitely not a beer I will come back to. In fact, I won't be finishing the bottle. Definitely a unique beer, and an interesting idea, but it doesn't work for me. Oh well.

2.94/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured a 750mL bottle into a pint glass.

A: pours a slightly hazy copper with a small head

S: smells largely of sour apple with hops in the background; I can pick up a few spices as well

T: Tastes like apple cider, but the alcohol comes out in this beer despite its low ABV. If finishes with dry hops to contrast the sweet & sour beginning.

M: Good thickness and carbonation.

D: One bomber is enough of this beer. As others have said, this beer goes best with food. It's not much of a stand alone beer.

2.95/5  rDev -16.7%

Appearance: Darker hay/straw ale, lighter carbonation, think head of white that dissipates rather quickly.

Smell: Notes of malt, some hops. More sweet than bitter, reminiscent of a good brown/Scotch ale.

Taste: Clean, but an odd taste in mid-swallow I can't identify. Vanilla? Looking at the ingredients I suppose I could say it tastes like buckwheat, but not sure. The taste is light, and definitely unique.

Mouthfeel: Scouring. Aftertaste lingers somewhat, but

Drinkability: Hard to say. the taste is unique enough to want to try this again, but honestly it's not something I'd seek out.

2.96/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours a murky light yellow-orange with a super foamy off-white head that settles to a thick cap on top of the beer. Foamy swaths of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, yeast, and a fruity note. Taste is much the same with a grainy flavor on the finish. There is a mild bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a very high level of carbonation with an extremely crisp and prickly mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty average beer with a carbonation level that is not helping the aromas or flavors at all.

2.98/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured from a bomber into a chalice. Pours a golden semi clear color with a small head that dissapates pretty quick. Lacing is very light and slides quickly down the edge of the glass.

Aroma is kind of faint, kind of citrus/lemon...maybe a little rice and honey...and that's about all I can pick up.

Flavor is pretty plain...average for a pale ale. A little citrus on the taste with extremely slight bite. Can detect a little honey and rice again...but only because I was looking for it. Nothing special...but pretty easy to put down, light and crisp. Not overly carbonated.

A-yellow/brown color. Good head.
S-Citrus, nutty smell.
T-lightly carbonated, not very hoppy. Slightly nutty and lemon-citrus flavor.
M-Light beer, carbonated.
D-Relatively easy to drink.

Overall: an average beer. Good with japanese food (I guess that's why they served it at Morimoto restaurant in Philly). Came in a 22 oz. bottle. Good with lighter foods I'd guess. It was fun to try, but I don't think I will go out ordering that again.

3.02/5  rDev -14.7%

Reviewed 10/16/2008 (bottle):

Pours an amber orange colored body with a small whitish head. Has a malty aroma, a strong hay smell, pilsener-like. A malty pilsener like taste, a little bit of hay. Some acidity. Some hops. Somewhat sour aftertaste. A good lager-like taste.

Morimoto Soba Ale from Rogue Ales