Morimoto Soba Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.80% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Roasted Soba, Harrington, Metcalf, Munich & C-15.
Hops: Crystal.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

12º PLATO
75 AA
14º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-25-2007)

MyTBeerDrinker, Dec 29, 2011
1.05/5  rDev -70.2%

From a bottle to a snifter.

And we are off to the Bash A Beer Olympics.... Let the horribleness begin.

I would really love to write just plain awful, avoid at all costs. But the public needs to know just how awful.

After this light colored spew made it to my glass I quickly turned my head wondering where that smell was coming from. Without being able to pinpoint where this rechid smell was coming from, I started to ask some questions. Hey fellas.... Has there been cats missing in the area? I think maybe somebody is cooking them out back. Wait a second....It's not feline delicacy being cooked, it's the shit wafting out of my glass from this dank beer. I reached to the heavens for the strength to stomach a sip of this nut crusted turd. I'm ashamed I called in a favor from the almighty for this one. A sip and my good tooth turned black. Immediate drain pour. I don't know what rocket scientist dreamed this fail up but they need to be drug out in the street and shot.

TheDudeRules, Mar 14, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -57.4%

JThibs, Jul 04, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -57.4%

biscuitroller, Oct 20, 2012
1.53/5  rDev -56.5%

I can get Rogue in Australia, but this one never really gripped me enough to buy it for the exorbitant import price. But I was always curious so thought while in America, it was worth trying it out.

Pours a very clear light golden colour, with a fine-bubbled head of white. Lacing is extremely good, even if it sticks in obviously large bubbles around the glass. Looks decent enough.

Nose is really rather sweet, with an almost sickly malted grain cloyingness and a whiff of overripe apples. Nothing much of anything else, except a lingering butteriness that affixes itself to the sweetness and makes it seem worse.

Taste is weird, and confronting. Big welling of slightly corny sweetness, more of that faint apple aroma and a hint of something that could be spicy. Oh, it's such an unpleasant flavour - something that just rankles me, rubs me in completely the wrong way. Maybe I just really despite Soba, but in the beer, it's horrid. Feel is light enough, but doesn't do anything to protect against the rank flavours on the palate.

Oh, horrible, horrible. I can see that this is a beer that's likely to polarise opinion, but it has me firmly on the side of despising it. The sweetness is cloying and unpleasant, almost like the juice from a garbage bin. Maybe some people like this flavour. I think it's repugnant.

I'm so pleased I only spent the US price on this and not the AU price. It doesn't work for me at all - indeed I find it truly offensive - be warned that there is the rank possibility that you will hate this.

lacqueredmouse, Nov 02, 2010

ATXRyan, Nov 17, 2011

blackened1339, Nov 14, 2011

likeemdark, May 19, 2013

To preface this, I've never liked any Rogue product except for their Brutal IPA. I keep rolling the dice with them, but maybe 12 beers have yielded one which I even could call "solid."

Morimoto tastes like a F***ing lager. A bready, biscuity, dull, lager with, of all things, a buttery chardonnay quality.

Serious diacetyl. My buddy said it tasted like straight Safeway brand margarine. Other reviewers are remarking that this beer is interesting. I am perfectly happy to not "like" a beer as long as it is intriguing or challenging, and this is neither. Dull, watery swill. I could see where a palette acclimated to dull Japanese pilsners would dig this all over, but it's only worth putting out on the lawn for me.

Another crappy to marginal rogue beer.

bonapartist1, Oct 13, 2010

laurastradford, Feb 05, 2013
2.08/5  rDev -40.9%

woodchipper, Sep 01, 2014
2.1/5  rDev -40.3%

22 ounce bottle from BevMo in Torrance

Poured into my Stone pint glass with a golden color, more orange than yellow

1/4 inch white head that left some lacing but disapperared fairly quickly

Smell was a little nutty with some fruit I could not really distinguish, not much of an overall smell

Taste was way too sweet and did not have enough hops to battle with the excess of malt, bitter in the wrong way, and hard to get down

Could not drink more than one bottle of this, way too fruity and not a light taste

I love Rogue beers, but this and their Chipotle Ale are the worst of theirs I have had, this was a disappointment because the Black Morimoto Ale was not that bad

Not really worth trying unless you were curious like me, but for five dollars, you can find much better bombers out there, like the other one I drank tonight: Moylan's Hopsickle

Floydster, Oct 15, 2007
2.15/5  rDev -38.9%

Beer poured a decent, medium amber in color...hazy with a nice head. Lacing lasted a while.
Smell was sour. I actually couldn t get a handle on it. Sour, rotten fruit maybe.
Taste was also very weird. Sour once again was the overwhelming sense. Really couldnt distuinguish and malt or hops....
I am hoping this beer was old...surely this isnt the way it was supposed to be.

dmamiano, Dec 20, 2007
2.15/5  rDev -38.9%

Always open to something new, but what is this?
It looks good in the glass a hazing orange with a nice white head. The smell is off. Very vegetabel nose to it. Honestly I don't know what the hell a soba ale is but I know this smell can not be the inteded outcome of a good beer. Very buttery taste if you like land o lakes this is for you. What are they trying for here? at $4.50 a bottle I feel like I've been had. This simply is not a good beer whatever the style. As Ungespundet would say "this beer has obvious flaws". I just say it sucks.

ttu94, Oct 22, 2007
2.25/5  rDev -36.1%

Picked this up at Luke's Liquors a few months ago
Poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours light copper color with a one finger of white head. Head recedes rapidly without much lacing.

S: Nose is of biscuit, caramel malts, a hint of fruitines and some light citrus hops.

T: Taste starts with the caramel malts, and then an odd fruity flavoring comes in. Can't quite put my finger on exactly what the heck it is. Finish has some oddly balanced citrus hops.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, rather light watery feel to this.

D: Goes down ok, not too filling, not too much of a kick, better offerings of the style out there. I was highly unimpressed with this beer. I would not buy it again.

Jayli, Jul 30, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -36.1%

brandonld23, Nov 16, 2013
2.28/5  rDev -35.2%

I've always found it strange that my local Bevmo selection of Rogue beers are typically picked over, but there's always about forty of these bad boys taking up about one quarter of the Rogue section. Now I see why.

Pours a deep, golden color. Not a bad looking beer. About a half inch head, decent mouthfeel and carbonation. Clearly it's well conditioned.

The problem is the mixture of tastes. What is this trying to be? A blonde ale with spices, a lager-esque ale, I just don't know. Weird spices, a strange rice after-taste, the malt tastes funky (I don't think the beer had gone bad, or I wouldn't have reviewed it) ... this is just unpleasant. I swear there is garlic salt and chili powder mixed into this.

Overlord, Sep 22, 2007
2.45/5  rDev -30.4%

Really nice and crisp like you'd expect from some sort of lager. Still, there was this strange off-taste that I couldn't place for the life of me. It wasn't bad per say, but it somehow still seemed to detract from the overall quality of the beer. Overall I really wasn't a fan of the experience.

Kranders, Oct 29, 2011