Morimoto Soba Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.80% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Roasted Soba, Harrington, Metcalf, Munich & C-15.
Hops: Crystal.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

12º PLATO
75 AA
14º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-25-2007)
« first ‹ prev | 376-400 | 401-425 | 426-450  | next › last »
3.98/5  rDev +13.1%

nice poofy head up front that emits characteristic NW hop aromas: citrus, mint, juicyfruit. spicy and a touch nutty, as well

beer of indecisive color: not gold, not amber. good lacing, though

there lies an unfamiliar element within, which i attribute to the buckwheat; another kind of malt sweetness. it is complemented by hop flavor which is sweet it its own right. quite fruity

nice drink, actually. different, quaffable, controlled sweetness, moderate bitterness. i do find the mouthfeel to be a little meek at the end, fizzy

in the end, it would not be as nice a brew without the novelty of soba, methinks. an unusual element enhances what would otherwise be a solid (just solid) beverage

bruachan, Apr 15, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

The Morimoto Soba Ale poured a semi clear orangish straw color with a good finger foam head and some nice sea wave lacing. There was no freshness date on the bottle.

The aroma was fruity, nutty and of a malt smell. The taste was malty up front with the light soba noodle taste on the finish. It was very delicate and left a nuttiness in the mouth. It had a nice hop bitterness as well. Overall a very enjoyable beer. For some reason or another I wasn't expecting much with this one but would definitely buy it again especially paring it with something light like chicken or fish.

cswhitehorse, Apr 14, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +0.3%

Split a bomber of this with my good friend Karl. Decanted into a pint glass. Pours a mostly clear straw yellow with a small white head.

Aromas of toasted nuts, some herbal notes, and I can actually taste the roasted soba. Overall, a nice aroma, but not very strong.

Flavors are similar... toasted nuts and grains, roasted soba. Not much bitterness to off-set the sweeter flavors.

Pretty simple mouthfeel. Light carbonation, light-bodied.

I liked this beer better than I thought I would. None of the flavors or aromas are particularly bold, but the beer is light and freshing. Good a little colder - nice summer beer.

ndekke39, Apr 11, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +17.9%

I need to disagree with people on the low ratings of this beer, with one caveat: this beer matched PERFECTLY with the food I was eating. I was visiting my parents and my dad was making homemade pasta from scratch (rolling the dough and pressing it, not from the dried box). It was a light Alfredo cream sauce with zucchini, green beans, and asparagus. My dad is much more a snobby wine guy than a beer guy, so I wanted to wow him with a good pairing. I picked up a bottle of Morimoto Soba ale thinking the soba and home made noodle might have pleasant interactions. I could not have made a better match. I poured my pop and me a glass and shared an incredible meal. He told me 3 or 4 times how much he appreciated the beer. It was effortlessly smooth with a mellow wheat flavor, but the mouthfeel of a thicker hefe. The slight floral notes added a lot to the creamy sauce.

When I drink beers with food, I usually take a broader approach to tasting, focusing more on how contented my mouth is rather than how WOWED my mouth is. I could see how a solitary and concentrated tasting of this brew could fall flat, but as a compliment to vegetarian fare, it is fantastic.

JohnMeinhardt, Apr 09, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

22 ounce bottle. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours a golden orange color with about an inch white head. Head retention and lacing are both average. Aroma is bready malt, nuts, grain and orange/other citrus. However, the aroma is on the weak side. It tastes the same way it smells, but the taste is stronger than the aroma. The beer does have a nice orange and bitter hop finish. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium with above average carbonation. Drinkability is good, it goes down easy and it's refreshing. I think this is a decent beer. It's not great, but it's not bad either. I wouldn't make it a point to seek it out, but I would try it again in the future.

bluejacket74, Mar 23, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -2.6%

Color: Pours a light amber/yellow color with a decent head of foam and a bit of lacing. I like the color.

Aroma: Smooth and malty upfront. Not much else to detect.

Taste: Malty and a bit sweet with a lot of breadiness. Smooth. A bit dry in the mouth. Faint hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Aftertaste is somewhat dry/sour. Not unusual though.

Verdict: Drinkable but at the same time, average. I don't see anything that stands out in an otherwise drinkable ale. I don't understand the soba part but regardless, it's a very drinkable ale.

Brad007, Mar 21, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -6.3%

i actually drank this beer out of a morimoto glass i got for christmas.

the beer poured an orange-ish color with a thick thick thick creamy head that left lacing all down the glass.

the smell of the beer is of citrus fruits and a bit nutty.

the taste of this beer is a bit of citrus as well. the taste was a bit sour, but maybe it's supposed to be that way.

the mouthfeel of this beer isn't bad at all. it's a bit thicker than i expected.

i'm glad i got to try this one, but wouldn't seek it out. one of my least favorite rogue offerings. if the whole beer could have followed the smell and the appearance, it would have been a lot better.

deepsouth, Mar 08, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -1.1%

A: Poured a bright sunset orange with a fluffy white head. Visible carbonation was very high.

S: citrus and tart oranges.

T: For flavor there was a dry fruitiness, orange citrus, and pale malt.

M: fizzy with dry oranges and citrus with a slight creaminess.

D: Overall a fair drinking ale, kinda strange and unique which makes you await the next sip.

beerthulhu, Mar 01, 2008
3.05/5  rDev -13.4%

Pours a golden color. A bit cloudy. White one finger head.

The nose is grainy. Some sweet candy.

The taste is hoppy, and by that I mean a more grassy/floral hop bouquet. Some malt sweetness. Citrusy sweet.

Somewhat of a medicinal after taste. Very sour.

Light to medium body makes this one decently drinkable.

Freshie, Feb 27, 2008
3.15/5  rDev -10.5%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a slightly cloudy golden orange color with a white head that quickly fades. The aroma is pretty faint and it is hard to really pick up on much. The faint aroma is slightly nutty and fruity. The taste much like the aroma is hard to pick up some of the flavors. It is slightly toasty and nutty with a touch of hops in the finish. Overall, this beer is one of my least favorite in the Rogue family, but it is highly drinkable and refreshing. It is not something I would pick up again, but it was nice to try something a little different.

cjgator3, Feb 14, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +19.3%

Last night I enjoyed a bottle of this ale over dinner at a favorite NE Portland restaurant, Yakuza (Metalmonk - you know the place...). 22 oz. bottle, poured over the course of an hour.

A: Golden/copper pour, quite clear, with a lengthy retention out of that lovely, billowing off-white head, nearly 2-fingers worth. Good sticking lace, minimal carbonation.

S: Strong smell of slightly smoky, very grainy soba (buckwheat), absolutely lovely. Sorta sticky/starchy smell, very nutty and malty.

T: Malty/grainy (a toasted huskiness), balancing nicely between dryness and sweetness. Notable flavor is of toasted nuts, but really it's a hard-to-describe earthy/root flavor imparted by soba in this. If you've enjoyed toasted sesame and buckwheat noodles you understand. Has a light hop profile, similar to pale ale, English-style.

M: Crisp and medium-bodied. Fair carbonation, finishes clean and light on the tongue, with just a little lingering starch stickiness.

D: Ahh, the perfect pairing for a certain dish at this restaurant - cucumber and avocado with soy and toasted sesame (Jeff, you'd love it...). It elicited a 'wow', both from me and my wife, when coupled with this beer - and it was definitely the beer doing the 'wow'ing, though the dish was delicious, too. As a stand-alone drinker, I found the Soba Ale suited my palate quite well; I think I've had it once or twice before, but probably never in this context. Very enjoyable, one I'll get again.

msubulldog25, Feb 02, 2008
3.58/5  rDev +1.7%

The beer pours a hazy gold color with a lots of suspended floaties. It has a pretty white head that lasts. The aroma is decent. It has a light, pale malt scent along with a nutty, roasted soba aroma. The taste is decent as well. It's light, with a nice pale malt flavor. It goes down easy and finishes bitter with a mild hop element. I'm not sure what soba tastes like, but there is a slight nuttiness to the palate as well as a zing that I can't describe. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium/full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good drinker, although I'll probably not pick it up again. All in all, it's worth a try.

WesWes, Jan 21, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

A - Pour a clear dark gold, with a slight reddish tinge. Head is white, sticky, and fairly thick with good retention.

S - Very fruity nose, with notes of cherries, red berries and some roastiness.

T/M - Seems to be somewhat tart up front, with an assertive fruitiness and an astringent body. Some hoppiness appears later, although not strong nor long-lasting. Aftertaste is very brief. Slightly nutty with some roast and an odd twang of sorts, which I guess is the buckwheat.

D - Not bad, but not terribly exciting either. I guess soba isn't really something that's easy to showcase in a beer. FWIW this is a drinkable brew comparable to a lighter english style pale ale.

allergictomacros, Jan 14, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -6.3%

Sampler at San Francisco Rogue Public House. Yellow body, with a thin white cap reminds me a bit of a pilsner. There's a fair bit of grain and bread in the nose, which I presume is actually the soba. Flavour is a bit disappointing - its crisp and full of buckwheat, but not much else. Fairly light body and medium carbonation. I'd expect better from Rogue.

bobsy, Jan 14, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a barely hazy light orange. No head at all with decent carbonation. Smells citrusy with a light nuttiness. A lot of stuff going on in this light beer. Initially pretty light but then a sort of orange zest and nuttiness, almost sherrylike, develops. Tucked in there throughout is a small layer of citrusy hops. The aftertaste is a little short lived. A wonderful medium bodied session ale. A good "gateway beer" for the BMC crowd

timbro81, Jan 07, 2008

another 20 ounce bottle purchase and offering from rogue brewery on the oregon coast, good beer, not their best but they have so many it is a tough crowd, good taste, smooth for a hoppy pale ale.

would recommend to try along with some of their other pale ales to compare, good beer to go along with food and maybe a tasting of the varieties that rogue offers.

Hollenbeck2, Jan 01, 2008
2.15/5  rDev -38.9%

Beer poured a decent, medium amber in color...hazy with a nice head. Lacing lasted a while.
Smell was sour. I actually couldn t get a handle on it. Sour, rotten fruit maybe.
Taste was also very weird. Sour once again was the overwhelming sense. Really couldnt distuinguish and malt or hops....
I am hoping this beer was old...surely this isnt the way it was supposed to be.

dmamiano, Dec 20, 2007
3.65/5  rDev +3.7%

This one ws rather intresting. Poured a nice, buttad hazy light brown with a touch of amber to it. Nice two finger head of creamy off white lace formed on top and this was quickly settled down and replaced by a thin layer of lace ontop and adequate side glass lace. A very nice carbonation profile was visible. Smell was light. I picked up some rice, and what almost seemed like a blueberry aroma, although I could not really place exactly what it was. The tase was kinda odd to in that it was trying to be a light lager but came of a little sweet with a big rice flavor. Overall this was intresting although not my favorite roge I have tried it definitly wasnt bad. I would pick one up again in a pinch but wouldnt really seek one out.

mikesgroove, Nov 09, 2007
2.78/5  rDev -21%

Pours a cloudy, pale amber color topped by a light and white head. There is a good amount of carbonation with lots of bubbles rising to the top of the glass. The head falls to a thin crown and leaves little lace. The aroma is nutty and lightly hoppy, with some buttery scotch smell to it.

The taste has a mild malt flavor and hints of fruit with a light body and dry mouthfeel.

abcsofbeer, Oct 27, 2007
2.15/5  rDev -38.9%

Always open to something new, but what is this?
It looks good in the glass a hazing orange with a nice white head. The smell is off. Very vegetabel nose to it. Honestly I don't know what the hell a soba ale is but I know this smell can not be the inteded outcome of a good beer. Very buttery taste if you like land o lakes this is for you. What are they trying for here? at $4.50 a bottle I feel like I've been had. This simply is not a good beer whatever the style. As Ungespundet would say "this beer has obvious flaws". I just say it sucks.

ttu94, Oct 22, 2007
3.73/5  rDev +6%

A - Poured a cloudy amber with little head.
S - Right away I get a whiff of apricots and dried tangerines.
T - Very refreshing on the palate, with very subtle lingering hints of dried apricots. Not noticing any bitterness, whatsover. Actually tastes like apple juice mixed with light beer. Went very well with some beef yakisoba, as a hint of bitterness with the carbonation cuts through the oil.
M - Very clean finish, the bitter apricot action hits at the end. Carbonation does actually help break through oily foods such as tempura.
D - By itself, the beer feels incomplete. It's lacking any bitterness whatsover, feels more like drinking soda but with the warming alcohol rush. Goes pretty well with food, however. I'd only recommend splitting the cost with a friend. as the price/drinkability ratio is really off for me.

evilbeefchan, Oct 20, 2007
2.1/5  rDev -40.3%

22 ounce bottle from BevMo in Torrance

Poured into my Stone pint glass with a golden color, more orange than yellow

1/4 inch white head that left some lacing but disapperared fairly quickly

Smell was a little nutty with some fruit I could not really distinguish, not much of an overall smell

Taste was way too sweet and did not have enough hops to battle with the excess of malt, bitter in the wrong way, and hard to get down

Could not drink more than one bottle of this, way too fruity and not a light taste

I love Rogue beers, but this and their Chipotle Ale are the worst of theirs I have had, this was a disappointment because the Black Morimoto Ale was not that bad

Not really worth trying unless you were curious like me, but for five dollars, you can find much better bombers out there, like the other one I drank tonight: Moylan's Hopsickle

Floydster, Oct 15, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +8%

Pours a light brown/orange. I honestly don't remember the head or retention. The nose is light and fruity. Carbonation gave way to a medium to heavy mouthfeel and body. They describe the taste as "nutty" but I felt it presnets as almost "buttery". This followed all the way through to a velvety smooth finish. Very easy to drink and went great with unagi and spicy tuna rolls (sushi).

2wheeledpirate, Oct 05, 2007
3.55/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured a medium to slightly bright golden color from a 22 oz bottle. The Morimoto had a fairly thick 2 finger creamy head which left a good amount of lacing on the sides of my glass.

This beer had a slightly hoppy aroma with subtle fruit background.

Very understated tastes going on here, nothing overwhelming but a nice mixture. Perhaps a bit fruity with a minor nut finish.

Very good mouthfeel, thanks to a fair amount of carbonation yet very smooth.

I felt this was a very drinkable beer, something I'd return to again. I've enjoyed most offerings from Rogue but for some reason had been putting off trying this one. I'm sorry I waited.

JBogan, Oct 04, 2007
2.28/5  rDev -35.2%

I've always found it strange that my local Bevmo selection of Rogue beers are typically picked over, but there's always about forty of these bad boys taking up about one quarter of the Rogue section. Now I see why.

Pours a deep, golden color. Not a bad looking beer. About a half inch head, decent mouthfeel and carbonation. Clearly it's well conditioned.

The problem is the mixture of tastes. What is this trying to be? A blonde ale with spices, a lager-esque ale, I just don't know. Weird spices, a strange rice after-taste, the malt tastes funky (I don't think the beer had gone bad, or I wouldn't have reviewed it) ... this is just unpleasant. I swear there is garlic salt and chili powder mixed into this.

Overlord, Sep 22, 2007