Double Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

American Strong Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: mnapier on 02-17-2008

7 Ingredients:
Malts: 2-Row, Munich and C15.
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water.

20º PLATO
78 AA
25º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Double Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,178 | Reviews: 525
2.38/5  rDev -40.1%

On tap at Rustico - Alexandria. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a dark amber color with a tiny head that recedes quickly without really bringing any lacing forming. The nose is definitely quite a bit of malt with some caramel, toffee, and bread. The flavor brings quite a bit of booze. A lot of booze. Some booze-soaked bread and a bit of fruity yeast. Mouthfeel is dominated by booze and a bit of sugar. Too boozy and not really all that complex.

2.42/5  rDev -39%

750ml bottle poured into a standard pint glass

The been poured thick and strong with a beautiful two-finger head that stood firm and creamy. A bright-ish copper color makes it look like a solid amber beer.

The aroma is where the wheels fell off for me. I picked up roasted malts along with an odd smell that made me think of a just-ran dishwasher. This is very weird, but it was impossible to forget that unpleasant smell.

There's very little hops in the flavor. This beer tastes almost smokey and bready. There's zero hint of carbonation and a full, enjoyable mouthfeel. This is not a taste that I prefer, but I can tell it's a well made brew. Recommended if you like this style.

2.54/5  rDev -36%

GLASS: Pokal Glass
TEMP: Chilled to approx 45 degrees

Despite my disdain for bottles with opaque packaging (I like to be able to see the product inside) I decided to give this one a shot.

Nice straight amber color with a golden tint. Massive BIG head from a medium pour. Great retention. Excellent lacing.

Not alot going on in the nose, here. Slight sweet caramel malt notes. Minimal citrus hop notes detected.

More of the same in the taste. A little bit of citrus hops flavor. A tiny bit of malt sweetness attempts to bring balance. Quite the bitter aftertaste. An oddly musty overtone that made me question the cleanliness of my glass to the point that I just went and washed it and opened a second bottle. Still tastes the same.

Nice medium body. Not too watery. This is where this brew actually relates to a dopplebock.

Sorry, but I can't get passed the mustiness in this one. Together with the fact that there just isn't alot going on in here. Won't be rushing out to buy more of these.

2.57/5  rDev -35.3%

I understand the concept of this beer and love the smell of it! Not a fav of the Strong Hoppiness! Great For a Strong ale of course but i tend to lean towards lagers and browns... Probably need to sit down and ave one of these again and really get into it! not a go to beer but You should try it out!

2.65/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

From notes.
Large capped red ceramic like bottle.

Light brown in color, golden highlights, nice tan head. Average retention and lacing.
Aroma is hotter than expected, with some bourbon/whisky notes, but a lot of malty sweetness, think cookies, fresh bread.
I was fully expecting this to be a boozy malt bomb from the aroma, but it is not.
Medium bodied, the boozy notes are all there, and a bit unpleasant, but the flavor is quite bitter when compared to the aroma. The alcohol heat and grassy hops do not blend well, and the maltiness is not enough to hold it together.
After a small sample, I was done with this one.

2.7/5  rDev -32%

Capped Reddish bottle just like the picture. Poured into a oversized wine glass it is easily managed. Orange body, off white head.

My first impression is that its decent. It seems to be less than a double in content considering I had a regular Dead Guy side by side. Very similar. Largely based on a sweet malt base. Rather sticky mouthfeel and slightly syrupy.

I wasn't a huge fan of the original so it shouldn't be a shock that I didn't like this very much. Its well brewed just not for me. Too much of the sticky sweet side of things.

2.76/5  rDev -30.5%

I am a big fan of Rogue, and as such never really understood the definition of Dead Guy as a Maibock. A variation perhaps, but certainly not a real Maibock.

Double dead guy is most certainly not a Doppelbock, and while an interesting variation on their flagship beer, I found it just an add on to the already crowded Double this, Double that market. High octane for the sake of it alone.

The appearance was nice, deep amber but the head dissipated almost immediately. The nose was burnt sugar and alcohol, with same faint grainy malt and a bit of grassy hop character.

The taste fairly similar with some very clean raisiny dried fruit notes but mostly burnt sugars. Very little malt impact on the palate.

A bit cloying, and not a beer that is invitingly drinkable.

2.78/5  rDev -30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

22 oz bottle poured into Ommegang fluted tulip. A finger width of fizzy light tan head. Quick to recede and leaves a thin ring. Color is a fairly clear ruddy amber.

Smell has a feusal alcohol aroma. Standard Rogue hoppiness. Not a whole lot of malt aroma. Taste is predominantly alcohol. There is some caramel malts, but it is overwhelmed. Hops add to the bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Mild carbonation. This is way out of balance, and doesn't seem to fit the Dopplebock style very well. This might mellow out and improve with aging, but I'm not that interested in finding out.

2.8/5  rDev -29.5%

After being pretty disappointed with regular dead guy ale, I went ahead and ventured the waters of double dead guy. Darker than normal dead guy, its a darker golden, almost light brown, not much head to it. Can't pick up much aroma.

Taste, just a thicker dead guy. No complexity, just blah. Lots of alcohol, aged in rubbing alcohol almost, almost fusel like. More bitterness, still nothing appreciable in hop mouthfeel. Seems to have a yeastier taste perception on it. Toffee. Malty, nutty.

Too expensive for a blase beer in my book, not impressed.

2.87/5  rDev -27.7%

Double Dead Guy. My Halloween beer for the evening. Pours a crystal clear bronze color with a nice long lasting head but light lacing. Big carbonation bubbles making their way to the keeping good head retention. Aroma is not so great. Slightly vegetal, cooked malts, some hop aroma, but nothing overboard. Aroma is about half of regular Dead Guy, not Double. Very malty brew, plenty of sweet caramel flavors. Hop flavor not as prevalent as the regular stuff. It's bitter, but not in a flavorful sort of way. Alcohol warming can be felt and is not well-hidden. Fairly creamy on the tongue. Not all-to-drinkable.

I must say that was kind of underwhelmed by this brew and had higher expectations. I would rather just drink two Dead Guys in succession than drink one of these. I'm glad my girlfriend is drinking the other half of this bottle as I don't think I'd want to finish a whole one for myself.

Most certainly NOT a Doppelbock which makes me wonder why it was listed so in the first place.

2.96/5  rDev -25.4%

First, I'm a huge fan of Dead Guy Ale. I love the original so I was excited when I got a bottle of Double Dead Guy Ale for my birthday.

Appearance- A very dark amber reddish color. Very hazy and a deep red hue. A very white robust head and above average carbonation.

Smell- Very malty smell. I could not smell any hops. Might be the age on the bottle. I did not realize until I did research that this was a off-one from a year or two ago. That would explain the lack of hop smell despite the 72 IBU.

Taste- I love the front taste of this beer. Very malty and clean. The aftertaste was a little too bitter for me. I can definitely taste the Cascade hops in the aftertaste. It did not seem the beer was as balanced as Dead Guy and other Rogue beers I like. Granted, this might be an effect of aging on the beer.

Mouthfeel- Very carbonated and slightly harsh on the tongue. Much easier to drink it without having it linger on the tongue or palate.

Drinkability- Decent. I would place it about average for a 72 IBU 9% ABV beer.

Overall- A slight disappointment. I had high hopes given my love of Dead Guy Ale. For the price there are other beers that I would recommend over this one. Despite writing that, I still enjoyed the beer and am glad I tried it.

2.97/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured an orange-amber with nice lacing and a creamy head.

Very alcoholicy aroma, sweet malt with brown sugar overtones.

The taste is strange. There is a definite syrupy sweet doppelbock flavor, but then a burst of hop bitterness hits you. It seems way out of place in this beer and I didn't care for it. The label lists IBUs of 72. I know Rogue likes to push the envelope, but some things (like the flavor of doppelbocks) shouldn't be tampered with.

Thick mouthfeel, with a definite alcohol burn and aftertaste that warms all the way down.

Not wild about this beer. Very expensive ($10) for the bomber, and I just didn't like it. Many other doppelbocks out there that taste a lot better at half the price. Celebrator, anyone?

At first glance, it appears to be another expensive Rogue 750ml ceramic bottle, but it's instead an expensive red paint coated 750ml bottle. On the front it has a vertical "Rogue" with two skull and crossbones at the top. At the bottom is the vintage year and ABV%. This is the first year of this beer, so it should read 2008. The back of the bottle has the mandatory US information, ingredients, the beer's specifications, and two pictures that indicate what type of food this beer goes with. There is a picture of a pig and a campfire. That means it goes well with pork and BBQ. So I guess the perfect food match with this beer would be a Pulled Pork BBQ sandwich.

Appearance: They classified this beer as a Doppelbock on here, so I poured this beer into a Celebrator pilsner glass. Out the red coated bottle comes a beer that was a clear amber color with a small tint of pure gold blended in with it. On top of this amber brew was a nice 3/4 of an inch head of white foam. This head of foam had decent retention that left behind a string of white rings and a few spotty streaks of white lace. Not the best Doppelbock appearance, but not all that bad either.

Smell: The aroma was light to mild. There wasn't much going on in the aroma department. Even swirling around doesn't do anything to increase the aroma. The aroma was lightly malty with toasted caramel malts, a drop of molasses, and then it suddenly finishes up with crispy floral hops. Like I said before, there wasn't much going on in here. Average at best!

Taste: The taste was almost the same as the aroma, except the hop profile in the taste was a tab bit stronger. That means the taste was light to mild and lightly toasted with toasted caramel malts, a hint of molasses, a touch of grapefruit and pine, and then ends up on the bitter side with crispy Cascade hops. There really wasn't anything special about the taste. it was a little bit above average. If it's truly a Doppelbock, then it's on the lower end of the of the Doppelbock style.

Mouthfeel: This 9% ABV Rogue beer was light to medium bodied with crispy carbonation and with a hoppy and slightly malty aftertaste of toasted caramel malts, a splash of grapefruit, a hint of pine needles, and crispy floral hops. The hoppy aspect of the aftertaste stood around for a few minutes, but the matly aspect came and went.

Drinkability: There's a couple of reasons why the drinkability score is so low. First off was the smell of this beer. There wasn't much of anything in aroma. Second was the taste. There also wasn't much going on in there. Third is the price of this beer. Holy Crap! For the hefty price tag this beer carries, you could buy a few good session six packs or a delicious barrel aged beer. There's no way I would buy this average beer at such a high price. Be warned!

3.04/5  rDev -23.4%

Had this at the Stuffed Sandwich tonight among about a dozen others that Sam was pawning off on us, most of which were retired light beers like the Royal Duffer Golf Society Premium Ale and a couple of Casta beers. I'll start off by saying this is not a doppelbock and dead guy is not a bock. They are ambers.

Pours about right, mostly copper in color but some red showing. Clear, medium head and lacing, not much lacing.

Aroma is sweet and malty, heavy on the crystal malts for sure but very boozy. Not real inviting at the 60 degrees or what ever it was served at. Maybe better cold? I doubt it though as the soft malts wouldn't be as noticeable I'm sure.

The flavor was alright. Quite sweet, only a touch of bitterness. Some booze present but not like the aroma. It doesn't have the strange chalkiness that I usually find in ambers and reds so I guess thats a plus.

Medium/heavy body but not quite as much CO2 as it should have, still quite alright. Drinkable but I wouldn't buy it. Again, not a doppelbock by any stretch, I'm not even sure this is a lager. Overall an alright beer.

3.05/5  rDev -23.2%

A: Reddish amber with a medium-sized off-white head. Good lacings.

S: Leafy and grassy hops and fruity notes that are quite pleasant. Bready malts, fudge and earthy aromas. The smell is kind of weird - not very powerful yet out of focus, but still decent.

T: Malty and sweet in the mouth. Mostly white bread with notes of bark and fudge. Hints of earth and boiled vegetables. Some hop notes, mostly with a leafy and grassy character. A taste of caramel in the middle, which gets enhances towards the end. The finish is rather bitter with a hint of minerals, peppery hops and sweet herbal alcohol. I'm not impressed by the taste, it's unbalanced with a strange composition.

M: Quite a big body with a creamy texture. Medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is really good, but for some reason it doesn't go very well with the flavors.

D: I didn't really like this one. It came out a bit strange to me. It's not very powerful, yet it's unbalanced. Considering the hefty price tag on it, it was quite a letdown.

3.05/5  rDev -23.2%

Vintage 2009.

The colour is red-brown, the liquid is clear. The warm white head is low. Fine lacing.

The smell got notes of honey, sweet malt and some clean bitterness.

Honey is also present in the taste. Bitter, somewhat sharp notes. Dense sweetness. The body is thin. Aged notes of raisins, alcohol and frowsy hops.

Light sharp carbonation. Light liquid.

Too old. Boring.

3.08/5  rDev -22.4%

A - Pours an opaque amber/brown with orange on the edges. 1/2 inch head that had good retention and faded to a solid cap.

S - I swear there is some banana in here somehow. Some yeast overtones that add to an interesting sweetness with a nice little bit of spice. Tiny amount of bitter hops.

T - A creamy brew that tastes kind of like a hefeweizen without the clove in it. Not a huge fan, feel like this is a one note thing, it's sweet without any complexities to kill the sweetness, kind of a one note clove lacking hefeweizen that falls flat everywhere else.

M - Under carbonated, creamy, medium bodied.

D - Not all that great really, just not enough going on or it. It's not a horrible beer though.

3.08/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours a lightly hazy, dark, burnt orange color. A foamy, cream colored head shows decent retention, leaving behind soapy lacing that dries to random spots and flares. The aroma is a buttery, diacetyl bomb, showing an overly sweet caramel malt base and astringent, bitter, floral and citrus hops. The flavor shows more of the same, toasty, sweet caramel, buttered popcorn, and bitter floral hops. Thick and syrupy, the palate is heavy up front, finishing in a dry, biting astringency. Sadly, I’m not disappointed, as my expectations were pretty low to begin with. More of a bad thing does not a good thing make.

3.1/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

750 mL Bomber poured into Sam Adams glass.

The beer pours with a small white head and has a lovely light amber hue, much like a typical Oktoberfest. It looks nothing like a Doppelbock.

The aroma is dominated by a combination of crystal an munich malts with a noticeable (but not overwhelming) hop presence.

This is where the beer loses me. It doesn't taste bad, just nothing like a doppelbock. The mouthfeel is fairly thin, and any malty sweetness (of which there isn't much) is totally overpowered by the hops. If I work at moving the bee around in my mouth I can just make out a bit of caramel flavor. Way too much work.

This beer should be marketed as a strong American Pale Ale or IPA. I might pick up another one just because the bottle is awesome, but not for the beer.

3.1/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle (2008 edition) into a New Belgium globe glass.

A: Pours an amber color, lighter than I expected for the style.

S: A bit of toffee in the nose along with a bit of alcohol.

T: The first taste was some toffee and caramel followed by an absolutely huge dose of alcohol, almost like I just took a shot of hard liquor. Interestingly, the following sips had some alcohol in the finish but not as much as the first. It's a bit sweet with a bitter finish. It's really harsh with little balance. Kind of a chore to drink.

M: Full bodied, a bit low on the carbonation side.

D: A bit hard to drink since the flavors didn't meld well and were all over the place.

3.1/5  rDev -21.9%

On tap at Zeno's, State College, PA.
Deep amber-copper color with an off-white, foamy, fully diminishing head. The smell is predominantly of citrusy and floral hops, with a little caramel malt in there. Not as big I was expecting from DOUBLE Dead Guy. The taste is quite a bit bigger, with a big initial hit of citrusy and piney hops. Grapefruit for sure, then the outmatched malts show up for a little while before being shoved out of the way by the bitterness and warm alcohol on the finish. It has a medium-full body, light creamy texture, and moderate carbonation. I don't know. Something about this beer just didn't impress me at all. It was good, but I still consider it a bit of a let-down. And I DEFINITELY have to knock some points off for it not being a good example of a doppelbock at all.

3.13/5  rDev -21.2%

I've enjoyed it's namesake maibock for years now so it made sense to give the new breed a test ride. And how can anyone pass this up with the screaming red aluminum bottle and double skull and bones? Awesome packaging but uninspired contents.

Poured into me clear nonic glass. All the copper kettle color of a pale ale with a one finger bed of head.

Very little to talk about regarding the nose. Evidence of metal in the form of copper penny. Maybe a trace of hops but that's about it.

As to taste, no way this is a 72 IBU brew as the hops are barely discernable. No way this is a doppelbock either. More like a watered down pale ale. Certainly not a souped-up maibock which given the name, is exactly what I expected. Metallic in the finish. Ho-hum overall.

Smooth mouthfeel and mild like it's single brother.

It's drinkable but it's not all that interesting. I love Rogue and the creativity displayed in most of their brews is enlightening, but sadly this is not.

3.13/5  rDev -21.2%

On tap at Mac's Speed Shop

A clear deep rusty amber color with a tall frothy tan head that slowly recedes leaving behind some very nice lacing that nearly covers the glass.

Lots of caramel malt to balance out the floral and citric hoppy aromas. There is a hint of alcohol in the nose, if you look for it. Really, the nose is not nearly as big as I expected.

Very well balanced flavor, lots of sweet caramel malt and toasty notes to balance out the big hoppy bitterness. Lots of citrus (Grapefruit) and floral hops. I also get some dark fruit notes as well. The alcohol is very well masked, I barely even notice it, I would actually like to see just a little more alcohol presence in this beer. Medium bodied and moderately carbonated. Very easy to drink.

While this is a decent beer, I think I prefer the original. Unfortunately I think they missed the mark on this one

3.14/5  rDev -20.9%

First impression was a nice lacey head.

The I gave it a sniff.
ok, so I used to work in a Horse farm back in the day and moved a lot of hay bales. This beer smelled like horse food, and it quickly earned the name horse food. Mind you I could smell the alcohol. but when horse food sits it begins to ferment too. Ok thats not fair, but this beer smells like a hay field while being harvested with a hint of alcohol.

I like Rogue, I really do, but I was not thrilled with this offering. The grainyness is extremely evident before even tasting.
Cant say I was suprised by the taste. It was not too strong tasting for 9% so that was nice, but the malts were MONSTER. reading the other reviews I learned the term rank malt. I still think horse food. There is a real molases flavor that I could not get past. but a bitterness came in after the alcohol nip.

doubling up the alcohol was not woth the effort to me and more of a gimmick than anything.

Some here might judge me, but I poured out 90% of the bottle.

for context:
This was the maybe 4th beer of the night with some DFH 90Min and a growler of City Steams Carpenter ale as our base line.

We had a DFH 120 Min break, went back to the base line, then double dead guy.

tonights recap...
Carpenter might be better than 90, but 90 is so drinkable!!! 120 let me down this time, but is still nice to try from time to time, but double dead guy?!?! never again. and I wont try tripple now either.

3.15/5  rDev -20.7%

Picked this up locally with an assortment of other Rogue ales.

Poured into a darkish amber color with plenty of sticky white head. You can smell a bit of the yeast, but there is also an underlying sweetness to it. The taste is of a medium malt, with some bitterness and minor sweetness. Overall feel is somewhat thick. Possibly something with some food, but I probably wouldn't want to drink several in an evening.

Double Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales