Brewer's Ale 2008 - Rogue Ales

American Strong Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: mnapier on 05-22-2008

Ratings: 62 | Reviews: 53
2.23/5  rDev -43.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

This beer has not aged well. Not that I remember it being all that great back when it was new, but it has really fallen off. If you're saving any, hit 'em now.

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a very funny beer, it looks like a porter or stout, almost black, with a huge thick head. The taste is very hard to identify, but it's very strong and unique (the bar-tender described it as tasting like marmite, which is scarily close to the truth!), with hints of a porter, but also the roasty flavor of a stout and hoppiness of an ale. It certainly seems consistent with Rogue's general lack of subtlety.

At first I was somewhat turned off by the strong and weird taste, but I ordered half a pint, and found myself warming to it. It's definitely unique, and quite drinkable after one gets used to it; I find myself thinking I'd like to try it again...

[... which I can't, of course, as it was a limited productiod beer ...]

4.72/5  rDev +19.5%

A- A murky, rich, deep brown with a thin but attractive caramel head. The beer will not allow light to pass through, and I'm digging the head coloration.

S- Incredible pine resin hops. Pungent, dominating, almost overpowering. Right in my wheelhouse. A significant malt base provides the caramel sweetness to round this one out.

T-Disarmingly hoppy; so much that it's hard to take it all in at first. Whoo boy. The taste is, as one reviewer put it... 'sucking on a pine tree'. (Side note.. that's the review that made me want to buy this!)

I love it! The malts provide (as in the nose) a blossoming, bludgeoning caramel base that tries its best to hold its own, but can't compete with the hop overload. This beer must have been ridiculously expensive to produce.

By far the hoppiest strong ale and one of the hoppiest beers I've ever had. 106.9 IBU? I taste every one of 'em. No floral, no citrus, all pine tree resin. Really perfect on a cold, rainy NE night. This beer is so hoppy you can't take it all in. As hoppy as it was at first sip, I feel it grew exponentially bolder by the start of the 2nd snifter. By the end, it was like I was eating hops by the handful.

M- Full-bodied, bitter, scathing... and surprisingly balanced. Well, not really, but they made a noble effort. If an equal amount of malt was added to this pine-fest, the beer would be so dense it'd collapse on itself. As it is, I couldn't ask for anything better. Fresh, this must have been an eye-waterer, as it is wallpaper-peelingly bitter and scathing a year in the tank.

D- Moderate, maybe a hair above... but I loved this beer. Score is bumped for the ear-to-ear smile I had on my face as this went down. I would drink it a lot more if I had easy access and a blank check. Not for everyone, and I can see how many would be turned off at this malty pine tree behemoth of a brew.

For me, damn close to perfection.

I was asked to compare this to Double Bastard by a friend. I find this to be significantly hoppier, way more piney, and not as overbearing. That prob. doesn't make sense... the Double Bastard hops were plain ol' bitter, these have tremendous flavor behind them. I also found the malt in Double Bastard to be bordering on cloyingly sweet. Perhaps the malt in this one is... but the hops knock them out of view.

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured from 26 oz commemorative bottle into snifter.
A: Pours a very, very dark burnt orange with frothy 1 inch cream colored head.
S: Strong pine and citrus hops...very fresh aroma even after cellaring for about 1 yr. Sharp piney note dominates. Hint of caramel comes through with warming.
T: Overly strong piney hops. Not well balanced and a bit bitter. I'll call this above average, but this might be being kind here.
M: Sharp bitter notes definitely are off-putting. Medium body with acidic aftertaste.
D: This one started off promising, but took a nose dive. I still like Rogue, but this is not one of their better offerings.

3.65/5  rDev -7.6%

750 ml ceramic bottle purchased from Thorpe's in East Greenwich, RI.

A - In a Duvel tulip, dark brown/root beer-like appearance with a thick, khaki cap with bubbles and lace. Very nice!

S - Malted coffee laced with grapefruit and leather.

T - Sweet malts with a sharp grapefruit/pine hoppiness; finishes with a bittering dryness that lasts for at least a minute. The alcohol is there but it's not scorching.

M - Exceptional for the style. Medium bodied, with soft carbonation; creamy. The hops actually add a surprising bit of "freshness" making this simple to down.

D - The high ABV inhibits my scoring (not to mention the silly ceramic bottle, impressive as it is). This might pair with ribs rather well. If this came in a can or bottle I'd buy more.

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

"Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull

Rest In Peace, Brew Dawg (1993-2006)

Presented in a 750ml ceramic bottle with Rogue Brew Dawg dog tags wrapped around the neck.

After a modest pop of the pry off cap, it pours out a deep ruddy to amber color with a huge massive, light tan head. Thing of beauty to look at...

There's a lot going on with the nose... Complex malts (hazelnut and toffee) with a fair amount of earthy and piney hops and light juniper.

Taste dictates the nose. Surprisingly low carbonation in the mouthfeel, but smooth and enjoyable, none the less.

This was very nice, but not worth $22+ in my opinion.

3.51/5  rDev -11.1%

750 ml ceramic bottle purchased from Bottle Trek for a little over twenty bucks a few months back, the last beer of the night that I drank with my dad and buddy yesterday, poured into my Duvel tulip glass, dark brown, 1 ¼ inch off white head, lacing the whole time, even after a swirl towards the end of the glass, aroma consists of citrus, huge sweet malts, also a large presence of piney hoppiness, earthiness, and grapefruit, taste begins with bitter and dry hops, some toasted malts in the middle but earthy flavors take over quickly, more hops in the finish, mostly grapefruit but some pine still too, dry, earthy, and malty mouthfeel, medium bodied, well carbonated, taste lingers a long time, could have probably drank this bottle, not too filling, alcohol is mostly hidden, would drink again but not with this huge price tag, not worth the money in my opinion

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured a darkish brown with gigantic head that just wouldn't die off. A mix of toffee, caramel and some breadiness along with some heavier hops in the smell. The taste/mouthfeel is more of the same with a chewey, thicker body that is both heavy in sweet malts/dry malts and hops, for a taste that is both sweet and dry, and well-balanced to boot. To me, the malts really come through as I was tasting toffee, caramel, and some light chocolate and picked up some sticky syrupiness on the sides. Citric and floral hops on the backend moreso than anywhere else lead to that dry, crisp finish. A great beer and I'm glad I got one.

4.41/5  rDev +11.6%

"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends."

--Alexander Pope

Apricots and cherries covered in melted caramel (with bright orange accents). The golden brown sugar colored crown is at least three fingers thick after a spirited pour. The cap is a marvelous mass of sticky bubbles that are beginning to blast the glass with loads of cheese grater-like lace. Outstanding!

The nose features toasted brown bread (Munich malt) covered in caramel (caramel malt) and tropical fruit (Simcoe and Centennial hops). Newport hops are present as well, but they're more of a workhorse, bittering hop. If Brewer's Ale 2008 tastes as good as it smells, then look out.

I don't care how many ways John Maier devises to combine the four basic ingredients, he almost always deliver the goods. His secret (other than a great deal of talent) is to use plenty of ingredients. Especially hops. Even though this big brew just celebrated its first birthway, it's still hugely hoptastic.

The nutty earthiness of the Munich malt (not one of my favorites) is easily countered by flavors of English toffee, scented pipe tobacco, brandy-soaked apricots, bitter orange zest and pink grapefruit peel. Rogue should use Simcoe hops more often. The contrast between sweet and bitter is ultimately decided in favor of the latter. Man oh man, this must have been some humdinger when fresh.

Subsequent pours look even more amazing, giving me no choice but to grant the ultimate appearance score. I hate to sound like a scratched CD, but this brewery is one of the best mouthfeel breweries in these United States. This one is medium-full, soft, silky smooth and supremely enjoyable.

If dogs are man's best friends, then Rogue Ales is a beer lover's best friend. One of them anyway. Brewer's Ale 2008 carries on the tradition of big beer excellence from one of this country's gems. If you see this beauty in the stores, buy as much as your budget allows. Cheaper (in bombers) and a regular release is probably too much to hope for. R.I.P. Brew Dawg (1993-2006).

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

Murky brown with good head and lasting lacing.

Smells nice, toffee, caramel, citrus, pine, malt.

Taste is complex and powerful. Reminiscent of Arrogant Bastard, but feels stronger. I really didn't pick up much of the classic Rogue yeast on this, I would have guessed Stone brewed it. Very malty, with caramel, wood, toffee, and pine. Blast of piney hops at the end gets to be a little much after a while.

Medium mouthfeel and carbonation.

Drinkability hampered by palate-obliterating hops.

Glad I got to try it, but I felt the hop bitterness ran away with this one.

4.12/5  rDev +4.3%

I bought two of these bottles to commemorate the passing of my own dog, a 13 year old German Shepard.

Pours out a deep ruddy amber color, with a huge massive head. I literally set the bottle cap down on top of the head, and it stayed, very impressive.

Smell is complex, hop forward, with a big malt backbone, did I mention complex?

Sweet, with an upfront bitterness. Some dark sugar flavors, more complexity that I can't put my finger on. I can tell you this... Its GREAT!

Thick and smooth like my Shepard's fur, dark like her too. This was a perfect choice, I am enjoying this while fondly remembering my Sophie girl.

3.83/5  rDev -3%

Comes out of the tap a dark coffee-brown with a fairly thick, fine-bubbled tan head. Aroma is surprisingly hoppy and has a malty undertone, as well as a hint of molasses. Flavor is mainly hoppy and has touches of malt and caramel, as well as a whisper of sweetness. Smooth texture has a jazzy, fizzy edge.

3.76/5  rDev -4.8%

On draft at the Dilly Deli.
Pours darker than any other IPA I've ever had. Has a nice quarter inch head on it when served. Smell is dark and a little roasty. You don't really get the flavor in the nose. It's all in the taste. And this is where the hops take over. Lots of bitter/astringent piney hops. Just enough to be assertive and not kill the drink.
It has a thicker mouthfeel for an IPA as well. This is a very good beer that I could easily drink a few of.

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

A - Dark cola, big head, reduces to ring. Lots of clingy lace. Sticky.

S - A vat of deep malt. Syrupy sweet aroma of malt and citrus.

T - Big malt up front, but not as fatty sweet as the smell implied. The bittering comes on almost too bitter in the end.

M - Medium to heavy body, lots of carb. Balance clunky at best.

D - Palate kller and high ABV.

4.23/5  rDev +7.1%

A- Pours a murky brown color with a dark brown/black color accumulating in the middle of the glass, away from the outer edges of the glass. A massively thick and retentive tan head, 1 finger in height, caps this beer. The head really doesn't dissipate on this gem and leaves loads of sticky lacing.

S- When I smelled this nose, Citadelle gin came to mind. There is loads going on in this nose from massive toffee, caramel, great juicy fruity hops, bitter hops, bit of slight juniper and even a note of celery. Complex and great. I almost have to give this a 5, but I felt it wasn't quite worthy.

T- Upon the first sip I get a massively malty crack with a large amount of hop backbone. The malt has a toffee caramel, a touch of butterscotch, and loads of bitterness. Dole Pineapple juice comes to mind with the amount of hopiness this has. In the finish, this is nice and dry, slightly astringent, and delicious. The finish, also, is quite long.

M- Huge malty feel from first to last sip, low carbonation, and great fiinish.

D- My only gripe with this beer. This comes in a 750 crock and given the aggressive/bold nature of this beer, I would be mighty hard pressed to finish the bottle solo. I'd recommend sharing this one with a fellow adventurous beer purveyor. Given the enormity of the beer, I have to give it a 3 for drinkability.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

clear of sediment with a dark amber/mahogany beer and tan head.

Smell is of prune and dark roasted malts.

taste is bready, not nearly as sweet as it smelled. hazlenut flavors.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, like an IPA with a rather quick dryign taste.

drinkability is good, but not exceptioal. It is a big beer and not perfectly balanced so it is better for sipping.

3.67/5  rDev -7.1%

Got this on tap from the Flying Saucer here in Charlotte NC.

The color surprised the hell outta me! It is dark brown with a caramel head and medium size head. I knew this was more or less an IPA but this baby is dark as a brown ale.

The nose is full of floral and piney hops. There are some sweet malty notes on the nose as well. And as a reference, don't inhale too hard, I suck some of this up the nose by accident and it burns pretty bad haha.

The taste is laced with hops and sweet/tart malt flavors. There's a ton of hope notes, from floral to bitter. There is definitely some malty flavors laced in but it's mainly citrus and floral hops.

This is not a highly drinkable beer, I loved it, but your average person probably wouldn't be open to the over hoppiness of it

4.07/5  rDev +3%

Purchase at Joe Canals in West Windsor, NJ by my wife for our Valentine's Day dinner.

A: Cool porcelain bottle with Grolsch top and custom dogtag, give little indication of whats inside. Pours intense, but clear reddish-brown, with an off-white textured head, which recedes slowly to reveal lacy legs.

S: Intense roasted cracked grains, subtle hops and hints of bitter cocoa powder. Anticipating a hell of a drink.

T: Malt, malt and more malt. Bitter, but minimal indication af specific hop character (ie. not particlalrly "piney" or "citrusy"). expected more hops; a little too malty.

M: Very solid. Lingers for a while.

D: Going to be tough to finish this 22oz. bomber and do much else afterwards.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Dark copper in color with a good head that doesn't leave much lace. The smell is sweet and hoppy. The taste is very sweet and bitter...great hops. This makes me think of either Stone's take on dead guy or Rogue's take on Arrogant Bastard (if either of you guys read this you should collaborate and then take over the world haha). It's a pretty strongly flavored beer and I love it. RIP Brewer.

Poured from a 750ml ceramic swing-top bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep brown color with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick but spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is full of brown sugar, caramel, roasted malts, some hops and some fruit.

T: The taste is malty and bready with sweet flavors of caramel, brown sugar and dark fruit up front. There's a strong hops presence that comes in and provides a good balance and stays strong into the finish. The after-taste is slightly better, which is different for a beer this dark.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, slightly sticky finish.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, strong kick, it's kind of barleywine-like but leans towards being an amped-up brown ale, overall it's a pretty good beer to drink for an evening.

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Tap @ Pizza Port Carlsbad. Pours slightly cloudy brown with a short off-white head. Tons of resiny hops in the nose with tree sap, tobacco, nuts, and earthy coffee grounds. Bitter blast of pine, lime, brown sugar, and maple syrup up front. Around the middle, there is a funky yeasty taste followed by a rapid shift to chocolate, coffee, raisins, cola, and bitters. I didn't like this when it started out, but the beer definitely grew on me. Its like nothing else I've ever had.

3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

On-tap at GingerMan in NyC...
Dark, copper-colored, deep-brown hue with a decent-sized, frothy head...
Smell: Thick malts, slight gasoline hints...
Taste: Complex, powerful flavor... Reeling with malts and slight hops...
Alcohol sneaks up on you with this one...
Rich, creamy mouthfeel...
Average drinkability at best...

Another great Rogue. I'd been contemplating picking this up for a while - glad I finally did. Substantial and amusing ceramic bottle with dog tag around the neck - will make a nice souvenir. Beer itself pours into my favorite pint glass looking very dark, but in the light it shows itself to be more of a deep amber. Nice head and good lacing. Can't quite sum up the smell - a bit sweet, a bit citrus, and a bit roasty. Drinks wonderfully - smooth and slightly bitter. Reminds me of many a pint of Bombardier I've had at my local, and you can't get much better than real English ale.

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

Everybody will agree with me, this bottle is very nice!!!! Of course, like many people, I bought this bottle because the look invite me to do that. But don't be fool, the beer inside is very interesting!

I'm not use to Rogue product so when I bought some bottles is for curiosity. But, this one will be a great addition to my personal bottle collection (over 700 different), but the beer inside was tasteful.

4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

I'd like to start off by saying this bottle is really cool, heavy ceramic and a dog tag. Not something I've really seen before, especially in my local liquor store. Moving on to the contents of the bottle... It pours out like motor oil, thick and gunky, dark brown and nearly opaque. A little bit of light shines through the bottom, sort of a maple syrup color. The head is very strong, a thick mocha head that never dies. Over time, the light that shined out at the bottom is sucked into the darkness of the rest of the body. Magnificent appearance, unlike anything I've seen before. Very, very impressive. Can I give it a 5.5?

The smell is very oaky, with a nutty twist to it. There are bits of chocolate, maple, floral hops, and a citrusy scent almost like lemon, but slightly different. There's a touch of tobacco too. I'm stoked to drink this one.

The taste is very similar to the smell, a little more bitter though. The tobacco, chocolate and hops I smelled really shine in the flavor. Very well-maintained and balanced. There is some carbonation that helps bring the hops out and a thick, caramel malt base that grounds everything together. This stuff is good. I might try to pick up another bottle before it leaves stores.

Brewer's Ale 2008 from Rogue Ales