Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Yellow Snow IPA - Rogue Ales

Yellow Snow IPAYellow Snow IPA

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: Avryle on 07-26-2008

8 Ingredients:
Cara Foam, Melanoiden & Rogue Micro Barley Farm Dare™ & Risk™ Malts; Amarillo & Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.

76 AA
14º Lovibond
Reviews: 634 | Hads: 1,946
1.57/5  rDev -58.6%

Aggressive head forms atop the beer. 3+ fingers thick. Beer is slightly hazy and amber color. Honey color.. No visible carbonation. The head has good structure and nice retention.

My god, smells like lemonade. Strange... Lemon peel as a matter of fact.

Wow, this is a terrible beer. I am wondering who thought it was a good idea to make beer from the pith of lemon peel.. An unpleasant bitterness comes out of the shoot. Almost a medicinal lemon flavor comes through. Almost artificial. It reminds me of canned iced tea with artificial lemon flavor..

Mouth feel is pucker.

Drinkable? No... drain pour.

2.05/5  rDev -45.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

12 oz bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber color. The head is a finger high, and shaded just slightly off-white. I'm rather impressed by the long-lasting retention, and the thick texture as well. There isn't much lacing left behind, though. (3.5)

Smell: Holy lemon zest. Compared with other Amarillo-laden beers, this really brings forth a lot of lemony notes, along with a mild floral presence. Also, I'm getting a touch of body odor. Uh oh. Come to think of it, it smells kind of sweaty. Damnit, Rogue! (2.25)

Taste: Oh, fuck. While there are strong lemon notes, the way it combines with the hop bitterness and Rogue's yeast strain makes it taste like a combination of urine, onion, garlic, and body odor. Ugh. On the plus side, the malts seem nicely subdued. Great, I guess? (1.75)

Mouthfeel: Well, at least it has the crisp dryness I like in an IPA. But when the flavors suck, who cares? The carbonation is nicely strong, at least. (2.5)

Overall: Holy crap, Rogue managed to make a beer taste JUST like eating yellow snow! It's like a Frank Zappa song gone horribly, horribly right. Rogue keeps letting me down, and as a result, I'm gonna dump this. Maybe it's their yeast strain? As I'm drinking this...yeah, it's definitely their yeast strain. (1.75)

2.01/5: Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you drink that yellow snow (IPA)

2.1/5  rDev -44.6%

A - Pours a hazy golden amber with a rocky 2 finger white head that retains well. Nice blots of lacing.

S - Smells like an herbal evergreen forest with lots of floral ground cover. Some caramel malt and hints of astringent lemon as well as some dirty dish rag smell....maybe the yeast.

T - A train of herbal and evergreen hops creates a dry bitterness that scrapes your palate dry of everything. The caramel malt is mixed in but slowly shows up in the middle and progresses through to the aftertaste. Some doughy bread like characters try to come out. Finishes first like chewing on dry bitter herbs then switches to some bready flavors.

M - Light to medium.

This beer actually holds a special place in my heart. it was my first IPA back in I think 2001. I didn't care as much about beer as much back then but remember almost pouring it out. I had never thought of pouring any beer out before. I never forgot that name or that beer.

So I was excited to try it again after all these years and having more knowledge about IPA's.... It seemed to be as gross as the first time. There's a non-diluted medicine character about it that I just can't enjoy.

2.15/5  rDev -43.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured a hazy yellow color similar to many wheat beers. There was little head, no matter how much I poured different ways.
The aroma and bouquet were somewhat missing. I did pick out the hops and some citrus, but nothing that hit me in the face,
it almost had a hint of a sour apple smell.
My first taste and what I noticed immediately was a sour hoppy flavour. Not the most appealing, but interesting.
This beer was relatively small in taste, nothing big in body. The aftertaste was small and non-distinctive.
I guess this went against one of my biggest demands on beers, is that the start and the finish were the same and that it was well balanced.
Well, for this one, I would have to say the start and the end were the same. Unfortunately, it just didnt have what I was looking for

2.2/5  rDev -42%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

this is my first review, so please bear with me

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard 16oz glass.

The color was an orange-ish yellow-ish mix, with a slight head on top

The aroma was slightly citrusy, slightly hoppy

The taste was simply awful. Maybe I had a bad bottle or bad batch, but it tasted like straight stomach acid. I love IPAs, I adore them even. This is probably the worst one I've ever had. And its very rare for me to find a beer I do not like.

Made my mouth feel the way it does after you've been throwing up all night, and there's nothing left.

Overall, I finished it, because I leave no soldier behind, and I had to wash the taste out with a Flying Fish Exit 16 Wild Rice Double IPA.

Mom always told you not to eat the yellow snow, listen to her!

2.28/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Do I have to Mom? Its like the ovaltine of IPA's. "Ralphie drink up your IPA's."
Ugh, here's the rest.
This was poured into a pint glass.
The appearance was, guess what, yup, yellow, ha, go figure. A semi-fizzy to light bubbly foaminess dies off and allows a fairly nice clingy lacing running in rings around the glass.
The smell takes bland overly cooked grassy hops and just becomes bitter all around. Don't expect any "IPA" sweetness in this one.
The taste pretty much copies the smell. Woee, harsh stuff.
The mouthfeel is about light to medium on the body. Carbonation runs fairly light. But that bitterness, once again, just is pummeling.
Overall, an overly bitter AIPA. I can't see myself coming back to this.

2.33/5  rDev -38.5%

From bomber to pint glass

A: Things don't start well, as the beer appears like cloudy horse piss in my glass. Little head retention, less then one finger, though there is some reasonable lacing around the glass as I move along.

S: It smells like processed hops. Imagine if McDonald's were to make an IPA - this would be it. Overdone. It smells dirty, yet there is very little going on at all. I'd rather a beer smell extremely over the top nasty then just blah, blah, boring.

T: You ever been sick, and somewhere right in the middle of the cold you start draining? That, my friends, is what Yellow Snow is to me. Yellow, sticky, infected mucus. Bitter, but not that good, hoppy bitterness I look for in my IPA's. There's is nary a faint trace of citrus, or anything else to get excited about. Unless you like an aftertaste of handsoap.

M: Thin, flabby mouthfeel. Soda-like forced carbonation is off-putting and kept me from returning to my pint glass often.

O: You can understand my dissapointment with this one, as it was a Christmas gift from my wife. I was really looking forward to it, and I'd made a point of telling her, "Look honey, I'm having a Christmas gift!"

To the point though, and simply put, this is not the best beer I've ever had. Everything about this beer just didn't do it for me in any way, shape or form. I've been on a hop binge these last few weeks, and I can tell you that this ranks near or at the bottom of a long line of IPA's, DIPA's, etc.

Like every other Rogue offering I've had, Yellow Snow was a dissapointment that I won't be returning to.

*Paired with a skirt steak burrito and fresh guacamole.

2.43/5  rDev -35.9%

Poured into a pilsner glass.

A: Stoplight yellow with 2 fingers of off-white head and a couple of yeasty yellow blobs on top. Pretty impressive trick with the lacing; it actually looks like hundreds of tiny snowflakes.

S: Sharp piney hops.

T: Piney hops that take on more citrusy notes as it warms. Very bitter. Wasn't this a winter release? I'd expected the hoppiness of this to be somewhat less than it was. If there's a malt presence in this, it's undetectable. Even the hops are buried under their own bitterness.

M: Medium but with a foaminess that makes it a bit thick.

O: Eh. A completely off balance IPA with nothing to set it apart from the pack. Nice lacing though.

2.46/5  rDev -35.1%

22oz bottle

Pale yellow, small strong white head. Aroma of ammonia, grapefruit, super bitter hops. B-I-T-T-E-R, the most bitter beer i think ive come across and i love me some bitterness. Bitter to the point that it affected its drinkability. Sharp and punchy to the tongue, no balance achieved whatsoever, light in body brightly carbonated. I was not a fan.

2.52/5  rDev -33.5%

Ordered this beer at my fave local pub on tap.

Pours into a dark yellow color and has a half finger head that leaves no lace.

Has a strong smell of hops

Has a bitter taste, not impressed

Has a nice light mouthfeel

Not very good drinkability. I don't like IPA's but this was not a bad IPA I just am not a fan.

2.56/5  rDev -32.5%

Pours a nice light golden yellow with a robust 2 fingers of spongy head. Fairly active visible carbonation whittles it down over time.

Grapefruit zest, grapefruit zest, some mild floral hops in there and, oh yeah, grapefruit zest.

Holy grapefruit, Batman! I know there's something else in here, but the grapefruit zest flavor is so overpowering that it's all I can pick up. Tried to cut the taste with crackers and cheese in between sips, but there's no denying that this beer tastes more like a bitter grapefruit juice than an IPA.

Nothing really notable here. It's a bit dry on the finish.

If grapefruit is your thing, then you're golden. I found it a bit on the astringently bitter side due to that grapefruit zest flavor. I did finish the glass I poured, but I personally would classify this one as barely drinkable. Your tastes may vary.

Not all that impressed, and not what I would expect in a Rogue ale. Though hops were present, this beer is overpoweringly grapefruit. I just couldn't get past that very blatant smell and flavor, and with the dry finish I was left unimpressed.

2.61/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Todd kindly shared this with me and others during the holidays. I hadn't had this this a good long while, so I was happy to revisit it. Poured out of a 64oz growler into a plastic tumbler cup (we were at a concert, so whatever). Not sure on the capping date - I'm thinking no more than 2 weeks?

First off, as a Zappa fan and as a media studies major, I'm less than flattered that I should be drinking anything with "yellow snow" in the title, but at least it doesn't *look* like yellow snow, or any interpretation of urine for that matter. Cloudy amber orange in color, with a nice frothy white head that dissipates rather quickly, and leaves pretty much no lacing at the finish. Pretty standard for the style, although definitely has its own slight twist at this point.

The aroma is a very typical Northwestern IPA flavor, although it's definitely filled with a lot of the grainy and spicy yeasty qualities that I've found most of Rogue's beers to be chock-filled with. In other words, not as zesty or hoppy as you'd think. At the front, I get a lot of toasted cereal grainy qualities, with some notes of orange, lemon, and a bit of pine. At the middle, there's a black peppercorn spiciness, with some green pepper, as well as a toffee and caramel undertone that finishes it off. Smells a little buttery, and a little chalky as well, as some other reviewers have pointed out. It's memorable in a strange way, and while it's not totally bad, I have no clue what the brewers' intentions were in developing this beer's recipe.

The flavor only produces a larger question mark overall - if this is really an IPA, or a hoppy beer for that matter, it's definitely one made for those that haven't had too many hoppy beers in their life. Rather, it stands as an enormously astringent, grainy, husky, chalky mess overall, and while it's not completely undrinkable, it wasn't the most pleasant thing to sip on while I sat around to watch some live music. Huge husky grain flavors are at the front, with a toasted, yeasty malt flavor that tastes both brittle and cooked, with brief spice, pine, lemon rinds, and semi-sweet toffee thrown into the mix. It's definitely bitter, but other than the lemon and pine notes, this offers far too much bitterness and strange raspy yeasty spiciness from everything BUT the hops, which makes this progressively more difficult to drink over time. I haven't a clue what this aimed to do other that displease me overall.

Other people I was with seemed to enjoy this just fine, so maybe my palate was wrecked from the Coffee Bender I had beforehand? No clue, but I really don't think this is a very notable hoppy beer, nor is it a very enjoyable beer on its own. I simply cannot get past how astringent and brittle the entire beer felt and tasted, and how much its malt profile would cover up whatever its hops sought out to do. Not the worst I've had, but way below average for what the style tends to offer in terms of drinkable options.

2.64/5  rDev -30.3%

Served on draught at the Mikkeller Bar in Copenhagen, Denmark. Serving vessel was 20cl Mikkeller stemware. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a one finger head of slight cream, fair thickness, and bad retention - especially for the ABV. Colour is a caramel orange.

Sm: Bittering hops, mint, and cream. Maybe some light lime. Me broken nose isn't real good at identifying notes. All apologies, lads.

T: Bittering hop climax is standard fare for the style. Some bland fruit esters comprise the weak body. A generic build for the style. Poorly balanced. Not bold or inspired. Rather simple.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Thankfully, its not coarse on the climax like so many awful IPAs. Complements the flavour of the body. Bravo in this category.

Dr: Drinkable for a mid range IPA. Fairly high ABV, and rather expensive (at least in Denmark!). Will only satisfy fans of the style.

2.64/5  rDev -30.3%

[Best served in a Shaker glass]

The pour was a hazy medium orange with a large (2-3 finger) off white rocky head that lasted throughout and produced some good streaky lacing.

The aroma was kind of mild of floral and pine hops, a straw malt and a mild earthy cobweb yeast with a hint of caramel and citrus (lemon peel and orange peel).

The taste was moderately bitter with an ever so slight trace of caramel at first, and then very quickly became extremely bitter with a huge dose of a harsh bitter citrus peel at the end. The flavor hung around longer that I would have liked being mostly of a harsh bitter citrus peel taste and not much else.

Mouthfeel was just above light in body with an extremely dry texture and an almost prickly carbonation.

Overall an IPA that was just a bit harsher that I would have liked, to much citrus peel taste for my liking...

2.71/5  rDev -28.5%

Big creamy head falls rapidly leaving nice lacing around the glass. Not quite clear pale yellow. Not the healthy copper color I expected but I guess I should have known better from the name.

Earthy aroma, hay, grass, wet soil. I miss the floral, piney, citrus notes that I know and love in an IPA.

Slightly acidic/astringent bitterness. Very minimal malt sweetness that is not quite balanced by the strange earthy spicy hop charge. I miss the bitter/sweet interplay of malt and hops.

Not very drinkable, not impressed especially for the price. I guess it could have been an old bottle but Rogue doesn't date their product so I can't tell.

2.76/5  rDev -27.2%

Rusty orange in color with a rocky two finger head from a normal pour out of this bomber. It takes a little time for it to fade down then leaves a decent cap and a good amount of thick lacing. The scent is split between warm yeasty breads and lemony hops characters.
A bitter bite of the hops is much more pronounced in the flavor. Surprising actually because they didn't seem so pronounced when giving it a whiff but that's cool with me because I prefer my IPA to have that smack. The hops here though have an odd smack which is usually no problem but the pine and lemon bitters give way to something a little too soapy tasting and boy do they ever stick to the sides & back of the mouth and down the throat.

2.77/5  rDev -26.9%

from 650ml bottle

A- poured a beautiful slightly hazed copper/orange color with a fresh white head and very nice lacing..this was just so fresh and good looking very nice....however

S-was absent of ipa smells ,,faint citrus,mild malt.a soapy herbal smell some grass a little pine aroma

T- was the same it was faint citrus with grass some herbal/floral hops and faint malts ,faint pine

M- was bland it was however nicely carbonated nothing descriptive or bad just average

D- was non descript ..it just had no taste it was just bitter water with some malts..it just was average..very disappointed in this one

2.82/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the first time I've tried this since back when it was a winter lager (a Pilsner, IIRC). 22 poured into 10oz glass. Poured a light, clear yellow, more yellow than most IPAs and as light as some lagers. The beer had just under an inch of white head that had good retention and light lacing.

The aroma was mostly weed hops, and bit of other hops as well, there was a slight earthy aroma in the background. But the skunky weed dominates. On the tongue, it was all hops, no malt to provide a base or contrast.

The body was on the side for an IPA, barely making an impression in the mouth, I should have scored it lower. Drinkability was good, mostly because you can drink these quick, mostly due to the lack of body.

Overall, this is an OK brew, not great, but you won't mind having a couple. I found a 22 to be more of this brew than I want at a sitting, YMMV.

2.83/5  rDev -25.3%

A - Poured from a "Yellow Snow" growler to a pint glass. A thick shiny cap rests atop a pale golden yellow body. Hazy brew with moderate lacing.

S - Aromas of chamomile, lemon honey tea and wet hay strike the nose amid a strong, bitter hop backbone. I get more biting floral hops than citrus. Smells rough and hostile.

T - Very bitter tasting brew, with bright, vibrant hop aggression. Mostly pine and floral hops with light citrus undertones hitting mid-palate. Decent graham cracker and pale malt foundation, but pretty weak overall... mostly just bitter hops.

Medium bodied brew and a bit hard to drink at times. Finish was almost too bitter and lingered far too long. Rough around the edges. Not terrible, but nothing special... might have to give this one another shot some other time. Never eaten any yellow snow... but maybe these characteristics really embody what yellow snow actually tastes like.

2.83/5  rDev -25.3%

A - Gold and slightly hazy. Not so much head. Snowflakes of lace stick to the glass.

S - The malt is a bit buttery and stands out as such. Green leafy hop aroma. No citrus or pine.

T - This as much like an EIPA as an AIPA; perhaps a fusion/tweener. The taste is fairly astringent, somewhat over-the-top, with a flavor that reminds me of karela, which is an Asian vegetable also called bitter melon. Interesting, but not necessarily good.

M - IPA. Normal.

D - Just okay. There is almost always something better than this on-tap.

2.87/5  rDev -24.3%

a very solid yellow with some good head retention and awesome lacing. The appearance of this beer is very inviting. making me think that it might be ok to drink the yellow snow.
the aroma of this beer is a huge drop off from the appearance. a very faint hop aroma, over powered by some funky glue aroma.
the taste is alright although the aroma is really interfering with my enjoyment of each drink. in the taste is a good balance between sweet malt and hops.
the mouthfeel is a medium body with a good balance of hop bitterness and alcohol notes, some astringent qualities bring this down.
the taste of this beer is good and it looks really nice, but if somebody asked me for a tip about this beer i'd tell them don't drink the yellow snow.

2.88/5  rDev -24%

Poured a thick, 2 finger head from my bomber into a pint glass. Settled down to a manageable amount within a minute or two. Nice orangey-amber color.

Smells slightly hoppy, sort of soapy.

Tastes bitter, but not in the good, usual ipa kind of way...almost sort of sour.

Mouthfeel is good, nice carbonation, sort of sticky consistency.

overall drinkability is below average, especially for a rogue product. this is probably their first beer that I have tried and not enjoyed very much. it just doesn't taste right.

2.91/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A- Pale yellow with a dark orange hue. Bright white two finger head.

S- Citrus and caramel malt.

T- Tart bitterness up front. Dry middle followed by a toasty malt finish. Spicy and tagy overall. bleh.

M- Light/medium bodied, low carbonation.

D- Melted and bottled yellow snow. nough said.

2.94/5  rDev -22.4%

The aroma is very hoppy with citrus, pine, soap, and caramel malt. The appearance is cloudy amber gold with a huge head. The flavor is very bitter and soapy with one of the most astringent aftertastes I have had. The palate is average for the style. Overall this is really disappointing from this brewer.

2.97/5  rDev -21.6%

Bottled: unk

Pours a cloudy yellow with some nearly a finger of white foam. Smells of pine, some resiny hops, not particularly impressive on the nose. Taste is bitter with some malts and a bit of harsh character in the sharpness. Medium bodied with excessive carb and a semi dry finish. This is a decent beer for PNW subset of IPA's

Yellow Snow IPA from Rogue Ales