Yellow Snow IPA - Rogue Ales

Yellow Snow IPAYellow Snow IPA

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

8 Ingredients:
Cara Foam, Melanoiden & Rogue Micro Barley Farm Dare™ & Risk™ Malts; Amarillo & Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.

15º PLATO
76 AA
14º Lovibond

(Beer added by: Avryle on 07-26-2008)

1.5/5  rDev -60.1%

Aggressive head forms atop the beer. 3+ fingers thick. Beer is slightly hazy and amber color. Honey color.. No visible carbonation. The head has good structure and nice retention.

My god, smells like lemonade. Strange... Lemon peel as a matter of fact.

Wow, this is a terrible beer. I am wondering who thought it was a good idea to make beer from the pith of lemon peel.. An unpleasant bitterness comes out of the shoot. Almost a medicinal lemon flavor comes through. Almost artificial. It reminds me of canned iced tea with artificial lemon flavor..

Mouth feel is pucker.

Drinkable? No... drain pour.

1.68/5  rDev -55.3%

1.76/5  rDev -53.2%

2.01/5  rDev -46.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

12 oz bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber color. The head is a finger high, and shaded just slightly off-white. I'm rather impressed by the long-lasting retention, and the thick texture as well. There isn't much lacing left behind, though. (3.5)

Smell: Holy lemon zest. Compared with other Amarillo-laden beers, this really brings forth a lot of lemony notes, along with a mild floral presence. Also, I'm getting a touch of body odor. Uh oh. Come to think of it, it smells kind of sweaty. Damnit, Rogue! (2.25)

Taste: Oh, fuck. While there are strong lemon notes, the way it combines with the hop bitterness and Rogue's yeast strain makes it taste like a combination of urine, onion, garlic, and body odor. Ugh. On the plus side, the malts seem nicely subdued. Great, I guess? (1.75)

Mouthfeel: Well, at least it has the crisp dryness I like in an IPA. But when the flavors suck, who cares? The carbonation is nicely strong, at least. (2.5)

Overall: Holy crap, Rogue managed to make a beer taste JUST like eating yellow snow! It's like a Frank Zappa song gone horribly, horribly right. Rogue keeps letting me down, and as a result, I'm gonna dump this. Maybe it's their yeast strain? As I'm drinking this...yeah, it's definitely their yeast strain. (1.75)

2.01/5: Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you drink that yellow snow (IPA)

2.08/5  rDev -44.7%

A - Pours a hazy golden amber with a rocky 2 finger white head that retains well. Nice blots of lacing.

S - Smells like an herbal evergreen forest with lots of floral ground cover. Some caramel malt and hints of astringent lemon as well as some dirty dish rag smell....maybe the yeast.

T - A train of herbal and evergreen hops creates a dry bitterness that scrapes your palate dry of everything. The caramel malt is mixed in but slowly shows up in the middle and progresses through to the aftertaste. Some doughy bread like characters try to come out. Finishes first like chewing on dry bitter herbs then switches to some bready flavors.

M - Light to medium.

This beer actually holds a special place in my heart. it was my first IPA back in I think 2001. I didn't care as much about beer as much back then but remember almost pouring it out. I had never thought of pouring any beer out before. I never forgot that name or that beer.

So I was excited to try it again after all these years and having more knowledge about IPA's.... It seemed to be as gross as the first time. There's a non-diluted medicine character about it that I just can't enjoy.

2.1/5  rDev -44.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

this is my first review, so please bear with me

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard 16oz glass.

The color was an orange-ish yellow-ish mix, with a slight head on top

The aroma was slightly citrusy, slightly hoppy

The taste was simply awful. Maybe I had a bad bottle or bad batch, but it tasted like straight stomach acid. I love IPAs, I adore them even. This is probably the worst one I've ever had. And its very rare for me to find a beer I do not like.

Made my mouth feel the way it does after you've been throwing up all night, and there's nothing left.

Overall, I finished it, because I leave no soldier behind, and I had to wash the taste out with a Flying Fish Exit 16 Wild Rice Double IPA.

Mom always told you not to eat the yellow snow, listen to her!

2.25/5  rDev -40.2%