John John Hazelnut (Rum Barrel Aged) - Rogue Ales

John John Hazelnut (Rum Barrel Aged)John John Hazelnut (Rum Barrel Aged)

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Docer on 07-19-2009

"Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar aged in Rogue's Hazelnut Spiced Rum barrels."

13 Ingredients:
Harrington, Klages, Brown, Carastan 13/17, Crystal 70/80, Crystal 135/165, Beeston Pale Chocolate & Rogue Micro Barley Farm Dare™ malts; Saaz and Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution Hops; Hazelnut Extract, Free Range Coastal Water & Top Fermenting Pacman Yeast.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3.2º Lovibond
Ratings: 231 | Reviews: 141
1.39/5  rDev -59.8%

this would have been better maybe if it was opened when it was supposed to be....It was sour (not a good sour) without any of the tastes that I was expecting... Drain Pour. I would like to have tasted this beer when it was released...I think about three years ago.

1.84/5  rDev -46.8%

A - Brown ale with a nice tan head. Head disappeared pretty quickly leaving no traces of lacing. Slightly cloudy but no sediment floating around.

S - Hazelnut, strong booze, brown sugar. Smells sour/tart with a lot of booze.

T - I sincerely hope this isn't supposed to taste like hazelnut vinegar. Yuck. I'm hoping this is an old bottle or something because this is disgusting. Not much else to say, I wish there was a positive because I really am a Rogue fan.

M - Sour on the tongue. Bitter beer face!!!

O - Not sure if what I got in the bottle was the intended flavor or not, but if it was it's one of the worst beers I've ever had.

1.87/5  rDev -46%

Let me preface this- While I may be a Rouge hater, I had some very high hopes for this beer. I love the hazelnut nectar and the idea of rum aging. This beer made me excited, I grabbed two bottles the instant I saw it.

I opened the bottle with some friends, and it was pretty much an epic FAIL. The rum flavor was present in small amounts, the nuttyness was muted, the beer was thinner than the original and overall, it tasted kinda tangy and insipid. I dont know what I'll do with the second bottle, probably bake some brownies then give them to somebody I don't like.

Rouge- Your on notice.

1.88/5  rDev -45.7%

Waiting for the World Series to resume here on fun Halloween...Have to settle for the awful Raiders while I check out this interesting brew...

Pours a slightly cloudy, rust-colored amber. No real head forms, and no discernable lacing, either. Leaves a thin tiara of persistent head near the rim, and the carbonation is in the middling range. Did I mention I hate the Raiders???!!! Well, I freaking do...

Aromas are very faint...Some sour cherry notes, and that's about it...Do I have a cold or something?? Nope, no cold...

Weird flavor. Super-tangy right off the bat, then it morphs into this somewhat funky (as in Belgian funk) and off-malty. Finish is somewhat thin and lacking. No real hop character in here. All-in-all this is somewhat disappointing. Nothing really going on, and kind of flat all around. Painfully expensive at $8.99/bomber. I'd avoid this concoction altogether...

What I like most: um, I guess the faint sour cherry aroma.

What I like least: pretty much everything else.

Verdict: Very expensive and poor effort from a normally great producer. Avoid...

1.92/5  rDev -44.5%

Appearance:
Amber-brownish color, murky. Lots of carbonation. Thick head that stick around. Lacing looks good on the glass.

Aroma:
Vinegary. Some spice.

Taste:
Very sour. Lots of lemon in the taste, I could detect some malts towards the end.

Body:
Light-medium. Tangy. Carbonation is light.

Finish:
Sour.

2.16/5  rDev -37.6%

I drank this brew at a "barrel aged" tasting. I was not the biggest fan. I felt that the sent of the beer was very faint and lacking any recognizable notes. In regards to taste I felt that it resembled more of a sour than it did something that was aged in a rum barrel.

To be completely honest... i would recommend it to someone that want to experience something different but not because it tasted that great.

2.16/5  rDev -37.6%

16 ounce pint at Taco Mac in Canton, Georgia.

Appearance: The shifty bartender, unable to make eye-contact, nervously places before me a clearish, darkened brown-amber body with a scant, light beige head. Does he know something I don't?

Smell: It's just an odd aroma, really. Illgotten spices scattered over berries and grapes and thrown into a vat of raw alcohol, giving a scent akin to over-the-counter cough syrup. I know I don't waste my money on those flu shots, but, come on, I'm not sick and don't need sixteen ounces of medicine. Unacceptable!

Taste: Slim maltiness, nil sweetness, and, actually, I find it a little hard to detect the hazelnut found in the standard Brown Nectar. That same medicine character carrying over from the aroma. I'm not tasting anything I'd feel confident labeling as tasting of rum (which I like, as I've been known to take a long gluglug pull from the bottle). It's like the barrel just sucked the absolute life oughta this beer without putting anything (at least anything good) back. Heated, boozy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Lightly carbonated. It's kind of dead in my mouth, just like my hope and interest in the continuation of the John John barrel-aging series.

Drinkability: A beer where everyone and everything you ever cared about is ripped from you and you are left spinning in a black, featureless void of nothingness, unable to feel anything but the slow, dull ache of remembrance as to how the world used to be. Rogue took a beer I've always enjoyed and turned it into something horrific.

2.2/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

This is a perfectly stored bottle from Hi Times and tasted shortly after being removed from its cooler.

Pours a beautiful dark clear copper red with a nice but thin and quickly fading light tan head.

Nose has a red wine fruit forward fruity nose that is pleasing and inviting albeit light and not very forthcoming; a hint of hazelnut because you're looking for it and no rum or wood character at all.

Mouthfeel is thin and much more "Rogue like" than the John John in Gin barrels. Mouthfeel is watery, diluted, light carbonation and not inviting or inspiring.

Flavors are faint, light, simple and boring. In fact, the flavors are so weak as to be almost non-descript. Tastes like weak lager. Light watery yeast and a hint of hop and malt. No hazelnut, no rum no wood in the flavors whatsoever.

A "dirty water" finish and little else. I opened a second bottle from another case. Same review.

2.3/5  rDev -33.5%

Poured from 22 oz bottle into shaker pint glass.
A: Bottle opened with a loud "pbssst!"...hinting at things to come. Pours a murky brown with overly massive 5+ inch light tan head (over half the glass) even with a careful pour. Decent retention.
S: Sweet caramel malt, hazelnut, and a hint of spicy black pepper.
T: Opens with an almost soda-like sweetness and carbonation...a bit off-putting. Then it turns toward a more light raisiny lambic. Extremely odd.
M: Overly fizzy. Light body.
D: I don't think I've said this before, but this was one weird beer. I think the aging in the hazelnut spice rum barrels threw this one for a loop. An unfortunate disappointment from an otherwise solid brewery. DP.

2.37/5  rDev -31.5%

Rogue Ales--Oregon Brewing Company--John John Ale--Ale with Natural Hazelnut Flavor Aged in Hazelnut Spice Rum Barrels--2010 22 oz. Bottle. 5.15% ABV. 33 IBU's. (2.5 / 5.0) Brown Ale? Lacy rich foamy light tan lasting head. Cloudy bright rich red ruby brown shade color. Loose sediment dust. Weak hazelnut hop rum EtOH hint front. Slightly creamy mild sweet thin light chocolate nut slightly fruity doughy bland body. Mild hop Rum EtOH end. Rum seems to weaken rather than enhance flavor. Sampled 9/17/2010. 2-$9.99 Each purchased @ The Ballard Market, Seattle 9/11/2010.

2.41/5  rDev -30.3%

On tap at the Happy Gnome I think.

Pours a lightly hazy reddish brown, neat colour, thin light tan head forms and settles to a thin ring around the glass and a thin layer, no real lacing.

Smell is weird, like vomit, light biscuit maltiness, rum spice, woody, slightly metallic, nutty and sweet, some caramel, weird and not very good.

Taste is same, not as rotten, sweet and malty up front, caramel, biscuit, nutty, woody through the middle, weird rum spiciness, some booze, interesting.

Mouthfeel is watery and thin, light bodied with medium carbonation. A bit of a mess, not good.

2.48/5  rDev -28.3%

A: Pours a light clear amber with just a ting of rose color.

S: Dominated by booze. It smells sickeningly sweet like they took rum and added brown sugar to it.

T: Not much flavor. I do get some of the sweet rum flavor but also get a hint of cola. It tastes a little like club soda.

M: Thin and watery made worse by the fact that it is to carbonated.

D: It is super easy to drink as there isn't much to it. It doesn't have much flavor and it is very thin. I could drink a bunch of it, but I wouldn't choose to do so.

Overall: Not impressed. Proof that barrel aging doesn't necessarily equal good.

2.5/5  rDev -27.7%

Poured into a snifter

A - Inviting brown color, minimal khaki head that reduces to a film, no lacing

S - Very light buttery hazelnut, zero hops or other malt characteristics, slight vanilla note, nutmeg

T - This tastes like watered down hazelnut brown nectar

M - Thin, extremely light carbonation

D - I'm really disappointed in this beer. I'm a big fan of the hazelnut brown nectar so I'm not sure how they managed to screw the pooch on this one so badly. Be wary of the John John series.

2.55/5  rDev -26.3%

A: copper brown in color, little to no head that fades almost instantly

S: a hint of spice, not much else

T: spice, ginger perhaps, hints of molasses, rather muted

M: the beer feels dead, lacking in carbonation (aging I guess)

D: rather bland, nothing bad, just nothing to bring me back

Given this beer blind, I would have guessed a very weak barley wine, certainly not a brown ale.

2.57/5  rDev -25.7%

On-tap at Stuffed Sandwich

A: The pour is a dark amber/light brown color with a finger of off-white head.

S: Smells strange. A little bit sour, perhaps? Strange fruity notes along with oak and certainly some rum. Certainly malty with a bit of dark fruit. I don't get the nice nuttiness of the regular beer at all, unfortunately.

T: A slight burn of rum initially, followed by the flavor and a bit of oak. Again, the nuttiness of the brown ale is really covered up here. Sweet toffee and bread with the sweet hazelnut coming through ever so slightly. A little tartness here too. I'm not sure if it's the booze or if the beer is actually sour.

M: Medium in body with a moderate to high level of carbonation.

O: Seems like all the John John beers have a weird trait to them (tartness). This one didn't work out, even though I really wanted it to.

2.7/5  rDev -22%

Poured from a bottle into a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a very cloudy dark amber color with just a hint of off white head.

Smell: Slightly sweet and bready from malt. Just a hint of dark fruit.

Taste: Quite malty, but not too sweet. A bit nutty with some grain and a slight bitterness in the end. I wouldn't have ever guessed this was aged in rum barrels.

Mouthfeel: A bit on the thin side with a good amount of carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I was pretty disappointed by this one. I think it was worse than the regular version and I wouldn't have it again.

2.84/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Rich red color with a thick white head with heavy carbination.

Smell: Soft sweet smell with nuts, spice and red fruit.

Taste: Smooth light body with less hazelnut taste then the smell. Finishes with a short very sweet finish.

Over all a super unique beer maybe to unique for my tast don't know if I would buy more.

2.86/5  rDev -17.3%

I'm not a huge fan of the regular version of this brew but I'm hoping that this might give it a twist to the good...

Pours a dull brown with a very murky muddy appearance and virtually no head at all... Just sorta sits there... No carbonation that I can tell...

Decent aromas of caramel malts with hints of the namesake hazelnut mixed in...perhaps a touch of the spice present in the aroma as well but that could be my imagination. Not sure what I was expecting but I don't think it was this...

Dull flat tasting maltiness with what I can only describe as hazelnut coffee creamer mingled in... I guess what I mean is that it tastes phony to me... Lifeless brew... I'm with one of the earlier reviewers on this in that I'm thinking Rogue hasn't perfected barrel aging their brews...

Disappointing...

2.91/5  rDev -15.9%

22 oz bottle

a - reddish- amber, clear, little to no head

s - very little if any aroma, I was hoping for a nice nutty smell, but didn't really get anything

t - was hoping for a nice malty, nutty, smooth taste, but felt a little weak in all areas. a little too carbonated for my tastes as well. very nice subtle hazelnut finish though, and I would have liked to have more flavor overall throughout. good bitterness to balance the maltiness that was there

m - crisp but medium bodied

d - drinkable, though not enough to want to try another just yet

2.93/5  rDev -15.3%

A: Pours a dark brown color. At first a two finger tightly packed head rises, but recedes in a second to nothing. No lace is left behind either.
S: The aroma is of spiced rum. Some sweet malt as well. Nothing else that I can pick up. Beyond that pretty neutral.
T: Sweet malt some nutty flavors, and spiced rum. Nothing much else.
M/D: A much lighter body than I was expecting. Thin, watery, and almost under carbonated. Not hard to drink, but nothing I care to finish.

This is not doing it for me. Not much going on here, and what is here does not mesh well. This is not the worst thing I have had, but nothing I am going to recommend.

2.95/5  rDev -14.7%

Appearance - caramel/brown iced tea color, a touch hazy. Some decent head tally at first, a bubbly manila color, but it fades back to a partial cover quickly.

Aroma - hazelnut on the pour, fades to a light nutty, somewhat metallic malt aroma.

Taste - an almost rye-like grain robustness. I was expecting a little sweetness to support the hazelnut, but none is forthcoming. As a result, the nuttiness doesn't have the depth I was hoping for. I am getting some hop bite on the swallow, it's playing off of the nut tannins. As my palate gets used to things, the hazelnut flavors develop. I still find them on the weak side but they are more present. Whatever spicing was supposed to be added by the rum barrels was a miss, outside of a vaporous abv note on the aftertaste. Not that it has to taste like hazelnut caramel candy, but Berghoff had better flavor than this.

Mouthfeel - crisp, decent smoothness and body.

Drinkability - For a series with expectation, I am disappointed. It's a decent drinkable brew, but not at all as memorable as a limited release should be.

2.95/5  rDev -14.7%

This pours nutty brown with a small off white head that leaves a bit of chunky lace. On the nose there are small quantities of hazelnut and acetone, surprising given the abv. In the mouth there is a twiggy note, hazelnut syrup, and the faintest bit of rum deep underneath. There isn't much here and what there is is thin and watery. The only beers I've had that are this thin are from the extremely underwhelming Atwater Block brewery, and Rogue certainly possesses a good deal more skill than they do. But it doesn't show here.

Overall, this isn't worth too long a look. The barrel adds nothing and it doesn't have enough body to be of interest by itself.

2.98/5  rDev -13.9%

Bomber poured into samuel smith pint glass. Consumed while in Bethesda, MD at a Medical Home Conference

A: amber/light brown with a 2 finger light tan head. recedes quickly to soft lace

S: faint nuttiness, spiced rum aroma, light malt presence in nose

T: Quite indistinct and disappointing - anticipated a great combination of a brown ale I love with a little rum kick but there was not much in the taste profile. More unfortunate was that this even tasted "hot" which was surprising.

M: ok - fairly light bodied with moderate carbonation.

D: Unexpectedly filling and overall not the most enjoyable of the John John series.

**if looking to try this series (though i have not done formal review - I recommend the Juniper/Gin barrel version, and even the Dead guy aged in bourbon? was good. This has been my least favorite by far in the set.

On tap at Rustico's poured into sampler glass. Pours a cloudy amber color with a thick foamy beige head. Aroma of overripe fruit, caramel malts, oak, fig, and mixed nuts. Flavor of wood, toasted caramel malts, plums, berries, figs, molasses, oak, and hazelnut. Light-medium bodied, with a dry, boozy, sweet mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

On tap at The Valley Tap House, a solid new place in the South Metro with good food & very decent taps. That qualifies for a win/win down this way. Pint quaffed while having lunch & waiting for a new windshield to be installed.

Pours a muddied reddish brown, no head at all. Smell is elusive. Sweet. Something. Huh.

John John Hazelnut is a hazelnut bomb. Like drinking hazelnut syrup with a touch of vanilla & nicks of sweet malt. Maybe. Maybe not. Thin. The base beer isn't holding up to the hazelnut, but just bows & exits stage right. Rum? Unaware of it's presence. Not too tough to get through, as there really isn't much to it.

Haven't had a Rogue brew in some time, but remember what I have had fondly enough. Not much of interest going on here. Almost painfully average.

John John Hazelnut (Rum Barrel Aged) from Rogue Ales