Rogue Farms Dirtoir Black Lager - Rogue Ales

Rogue Farms Dirtoir Black LagerRogue Farms Dirtoir Black Lager

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Schwarzbier |  6.00% ABV

Malts: Melanoidin, Carafe Special II, Black, Chocolate and Rogue Micro-Barley Farm first growth Risk malts.
Hops: Rogue Micro-Hop Yard first growth Independent and Revolution.
Yeast & Water: Oktoberfest Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
130 AA
75º Lovibond

(Beer added by: Cresant on 12-22-2009)

4.9/5  rDev +22.2%

A: Tons of foam, very condensed and creamy caramel color. Color is jet black. Could not see light through this thing holding up in front of pendant at sink. 8-ball black. Beautiful.

S: Perfect blend of aromas with charcoal, oak, licorice.

T: Great combination. Licorice, molasses, maybe some coffee and chocolate. Roasted flavor comes in from malts. Hop flavors ride subtly around all the others.

M: Very, very smooth. Has some thickness, but that goes away a little after each mouthful.

D: One of the most drinkable dark beers in this category I have tasted, and one of the best beers ever from Rogue.

I have to admit, this one caught me by surprise. I love the Dunkels and Dark Lagers. Big fan of New Belgium 1554. This one just knocks the socks off everything, though. Such a drinkable beer... great job Rogue.

4.85/5  rDev +20.9%

I'm fairly new to the style. I tried the Saranac Black Lager and loved it. So I set out to try others in the style. I'm not sure if this is a true representation of the style, but I'm trying to go about this with an open mind.

The lager is about as dark as one could expect from any style. I've had Baltic porters that are not as dark as Dirtoir Black Lager. I can not see any light shining through at all. The head was about a finger thick, tan and left lacing.

The aromas and tastes are more or less parallel. Roasted malts, coffee, smoke and semi-sweet chocolate dominate. Hops? The BA Ding (whose opinions I respect) thinks Rogue has overdone the hops for the style. I'm having a hard time detecting the hops and what they do for this beer. Perhaps the bitterness on the finish. However, that tastes more like some slightly "over-roasting" of the malts to me. I love this quality in the beer wherever it comes from. The hops are there, but I'm going to need to have a few more to get a better perspective on everything. Is the taste representative of a schwarzbier? Does it have more stout or porter-like qualities? I can't say, so I'm going to judge this beer on its own merits, and I find it an absolutely delicious beer.

The mouth feel is superb. Medium on the palate with excellent, refreshing carbonation. The finish is slightly bitter and slightly dry. The drinkability is excellent. Each gulp begs another. This is not a sipper. I'm going through this 22oz. bomber in no time and I'm a slow drinker. At about the 2/3 point I can feel the 6% ABV.

After only one try this is in the running for the best beer I've ever had. Fantastic. I love it.

4.78/5  rDev +19.2%

22oz bottle purchased as a single at Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1" dark brown head over the opaque dark brown/black brew. Maybe the darkest Schwarz I've seen. Pillowy head dwindles slowly, with heavy coating lace. Aroma is rich dark grains.

Taste begins with the same dark maltiness, a slight acrid flavor in the middle, and closes with some coffee character. Mouthfeel is wow smooth, and drinkability is oh-so easy. One of my favorite of the style so far.

4.78/5  rDev +19.2%

Pours pitch black. No light gets through at all. Thick, tan head that stays for a while.

The first sip of this beer blew my mind. I was expecting a much heavier beer, but this was sweet with chocolate and coffee notes, and very light.

This beer was so easy to drink, I'd prefer it to water. Everything about this beer was light and sweet. It was very clean with a crisp aftertaste.

Outstanding beer.

4.78/5  rDev +19.2%

Appearance - pours fully black, the darkest lager I think I've seen. Deep dark mocha head doesn't disappoint either. Pretty good retention and some light lacing.

Aroma - lots of dark roasted malts, a touch earthy at first and then just plain malty and roasty and good.

Taste - it's all about the roasted malts here, and this one's got it going on. Delicious level of roast without the bitter ashy char. Some earthiness in there, too, complements the grain quite well. The swallow has a note of bitter drying, though more for balance than taste, I'm not getting much hop flavor. The finish has a note of dark chocolate and some lingering roastiness.

Mouthfeel - some noticeable smoothness. Carbonation level is not too gassy but certainly makes its presence known. Pretty much right on for a schwarz, heavy enough to fit the 'dark beer' bill but light enough to enjoy without filling up.

Drinkability - excellent session beer for cooler temps, I'd imagine. I love a roasty malty beer like this that isn't overly sweet or high in abv.

Rogue Farms Dirtoir Black Lager from Rogue Ales