Rogue Farms Dirtoir Black Lager - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Schwarzbier |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Cresant on 12-22-2009

Malts: Melanoidin, Carafe Special II, Black, Chocolate and Rogue Micro-Barley Farm first growth Risk malts.
Hops: Rogue Micro-Hop Yard first growth Independent and Revolution.
Yeast & Water: Oktoberfest Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
130 AA
75º Lovibond
Ratings: 613 | Reviews: 291
2.6/5  rDev -35.2%

22 ounce bottle poured in a pint glass.

A: black, but there were hues around the glass. good head

S: roasty, fruity, over all not bad

T: garbage.

M: fine

D: I drain poured this beer a couple of sips in and I decided to open something else. I seem to not like the style, for some reason.

2.99/5  rDev -25.4%

22oz bottle, split and shared with my wife, poured my allotment into a mug. This is crazy thick! Slowly glugs out of the bottle. This is like used motor oil. Not what I would expect from a lager, albeit dark. No light penetrates at all. Frothy mocha head on top. I would swear this is big stout. Notes of chocolate, dirty greens, baker’s yeast.

The mouth is creamy smooth and heavier than I’d like. This is really odd for a Schwarzbier. Not as easy-drinking as expected. Really big flavors of chocolate, roasted malts. These flavors are usually nice and mellow with this style, but this is just way too ‘big.’ Imperial Schwarz? Glad I tried this, but this isn’t what I’d reach for when in the mood for this, one of my favorite styles. A miss for me.

More like a disappointing stout than an interesting black lager.

3.05/5  rDev -23.9%

Just cracking the top of the bottle made me reconsider what I was about to get myself into. When I read on the label that this fancy Dirtoir Black Lager was indeed, well, a black lager, I was expecting a tame and slightly dark water to pour out. But the smell was strong with coffee notes, and after falling into the glass, this beer was clearly not what I expected. This sucker was muddy and reasonably thick with a head that's darker than most stouts I dive into. The smell was sweeter than the initial wafts of bitter coffee, with touches of sweet chocolate tickling the olfactory sense. The first sip left a sour taste, though. Literally. The front notes of this beer were just off from the beginning. A slightly off-kilter, clunky, watered-down bitter beer taste scraped against the tongue for the first few seconds before finally getting pounced on by a dry and roasted malt profile. Not exactly the kind of beer that begs for more sips. Throughout the remainder of the glass, the flavor didn't really change all that much, with maybe the sour taste and awkward hop notes disappearing just a bit, but in general, this beer wasn't the most desirable to get through.

This is certainly a beer where the bite was worse than the bark. Based on the color and smell alone, I was expecting a truly astounding schwarzbier. However, what I got was a slightly ill-conceived rendition of the European style that still has some obvious rounding-out to do. It might be highly drinkable if you're a fan of the style and can stomach the weirder sour-bitter flavor near the front but for me, this just didn't quite work. Sometimes, a special edition beer is a good thing-you won't have to see it around for very long.

3.06/5  rDev -23.7%

Sometimes you look at the scores of others on this site, and just sort of say "huh?" And that is my reaction in this particular case. Schwarzbier is not necessarily the most dynamic of styles, but this particular example is full of flavor. I'm just not sure that all that flavor really belongs in a beer of this style and if I really like the flavor that's there.

It pours a pretty thick black - much more like Imperial Stout than Scharzbier. Color is there, but viscosity is off. Aroma was to me less roasty than it was smokey. This was confirmed to me upon my first few sips, which were decidedly smokey and to my mind a bit on the earthy/peaty side. Not light on the tongue like Sprecher Bavarian Black or Kostritzer, which I think of as sort of the American and international standards for the style. The flavor was pungent and not unpleasant, but not really delicious nor appropriate IMO either.

Still, not a bad beer. I bought 2 bottles of this at Blacklick Liquor in Columbus.

3.06/5  rDev -23.7%

This one of those reviews that isn't going to make sense. The number scores are higher than they should be, because this beer doesn't really fit it's style. I would have liked to give it higher scores because I liked the beer.

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a solid black, with a thick, dark brown head that very good retention and lacing. In fact, this beer looked like a porter.

A very rich, roasty, slightly chocolatey aroma greets the nose, and has a satisfying presence. The flavors are very similar to the scents, deep, rich roasted malts and very little hop presence. Again, both of these categories were more like a porter than a lager.

Body and drinkability were both very good, different from what is expected for the style. Overall, a very good beer that would have scored if called a different style, like maybe a Baltic Porter. Worth trying.

3.13/5  rDev -21.9%

C: Black. Coffee colored head about 1/2 inch.

S: Coffee. Chocolate. Little else. No hoppy scent.

T: Taste lacks flavor. The coffee flavor w/ malty combination dominates the beer but lacks character.

M: Low carbonation. Watery flat texure. Low carbonation.

D: Gets boring quickly.

OVERALL GRADE: C-/C

3.13/5  rDev -21.9%

Chatoe Rogue First Growth Dirtoir Black Lager

Pours a very dark brown with off white khaki colored head and lace. Aroma of roasted, smokey malts and a coffee like presence. In the taste, upfront are roasted malts and a twang from the hops and smoke. Mild citrus notes beneath some coffee, cocoa and smoke. A small alcohol presence is noted. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a low carbonation. Overall, a half decent schwarz but next year would probably be better.

3.18/5  rDev -20.7%

This black lager comes dangerously close to looking, smelling, and tasting like a stout. Pours black with dark tan head. Two finger head with little retention and no lacing.
Aroma of coffee beans, dark roasted malts, wood smoke, and light hops.
Taste is dominated by dark roasted malts lightly charred with a smokey flavor. Coffee, cocoa, and a small amount of bitter hops.
Mouthfeel is thinner and more carbonated than expected. Finished kind of dry.
Drinkability is decent, but i found this beer to be a bit boring.
Rogue is a great brewery but I haven't been impressed with their First Growth series.

3.24/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

Appearance - 4.5/5
Totally pitch black, with no light coming through, even near the edges of the glass. An excellent chocolate-milkshake-brown head. About two fingers upoin initial pour. This is certainly a beautifully looking beer.

Smell - 4.25/5
Chocolate roastiness, hints of smokiness. Some lightly sweet malts. Smell has a milky/creamy feel, if that's even possible for a smell. There is a small but detectable lager aroma as well. Hmm...a roasty chocolate lager. This should be interesting and exciting.

Taste - 2.5/5
The taste is kind of a let down. It's pretty strange. There are the roasty smoky flavors (the smokiness is much more prominent here than in the smell). But then the main flavor of the beer is kind of a strange lager-y ness. Really, I think it's just that the classic lager taste mixed with roasty/smoky malts leads to not a good result. I could see how some people could possibly like this. I just don't think the combination does it for me. It does kinda taste like tastey dirt (as in "Dirtoir"). So I guess it lives up to it's name. Just not to my tastebuds.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Fairly full-bodied. A medium amount of medium intensity carbonation. Quite crisp and bitter. It's hard rate the mouthfeel fairly, given the fact that I dislike the taste. But I'd say the mouthfield would be good is the taste wasn't so bitter and strange.

Overall - 2.75/5
I was highly disappointed by this beer. I didn't really have a lot of expectations, but I didn't expect this. I had the Guinness Black Lager recently, and loved that. So I thought, "hey, a black lager, this should be good". But this was way worse. Again, a lot of this is just personal preference, but I just don't like the flavor profile and/or balance of this beer. It's far from terrible. But I think the smokiness is just really out of place in a lager.

3.25/5  rDev -19%

A- Jet black like a stout with a brown head that quickly disappears.

S- Toffee and dark malts.

T- Astringent and slightly acidic. Not much upfront, then a big toffee/espresso flavor fading quickly back to nothingness.

M- Slightly heavy on the tounge.

O- Somewhat disappointing although I do commend them for the GYO dedication on this brew. This bottle could have been a little old as well adding to the lack of hops in the flavor.

3.26/5  rDev -18.7%

22 picked up today at the COOP by the wife.. I'm probably only having one beer after this shitty day at work.. and the praise goes out to Brenda. Poured into my Delirium goblet.

2 finger deep brown head.. fantastic reverse leopard spot lacing.. the brew is definitely black.

Nose is cold coffee.. verging on char, but never quite reaches burnt notes.. much more black malt arises as it warms.. alot more... too much smoke.

Just took a quick sip and was hoping my idea of the aroma was right on.. but the flavor has way too much char.. a bit of bacon actually.. chocolate and smoke.. the smoke should be no where in this brew... coffee dominated the finish.. pretty clean with a bit of dark malt astringency.. again.. too much smoke.

Lighter side of medium for the body.. the carbonation is everpresent and expected.

I don't know what to make of this one.... It reminds me of a Schwarzbier crossed with a lesser Rauchbier with a lite Baltic Porter thrown in just for cleanliness and mouthfeel.

I doubt I will buy this one again except for trading or for maybe a cellar experiment.. It is plenty good, but I am just not digging it... but really, I am damn glad we got this one in.

4.5/3.5/3/3.5/3

3.28/5  rDev -18.2%

Thought I had mistakenly popped the top on a RIS at first.

Deep black colored beer with with a small chocolate colored head. Looks like a strong stout or imperial porter in the glass. Darkest colored example of the beer style I have seen.

Smell is strong patent malt and sweet malt syrup. Strong coffee, chocolate and smoke scents. Toasted bread aroma except in this case the toast got burnt! Again smells more like a stout.

Starts out thick and burnt. Fair amount of chocolate and abundant patent malt. Quite thick in the mouth, again more like a stout than a lager. Toasted bread flavors with molasses sugars. The Taste is OK but it sure isn't lighter and refreshing like a lager I was expecting.

Mouthfeel is thick like an Oatmeal Stout, again entirely un-lager like.

Overall it tastes OK but in my opinion is FAR from anything that in the Lager style of beer. Seems the brewer went all EXTREME on this beer and made an Oatmeal Stout out of a Schwartzbier.

3.3/5  rDev -17.7%

on tap in a pint glass

A- pours a black color with a tan head and nice lacing looks good in the glass

S- was chocolate,coffee,vanilla bean,roasted malts,some earthy funk

T- it smelled better than it tasted ..very thin on all aspects of smells..the taste of chocolate and roasted malts were missing,hops were light porter taste were thin for a black ale

M- medium carbonation,light on tastes

O-one and done on this one,just was not impressed was very thin

3.31/5  rDev -17.5%

A: It's coal black, with about 1/3 a thumbs thickness of creamy brown head. It has an impressive cocoa brown head color. It slowly fades to a ring. Pretty good lacing around the sides.

S: The scent is of a rich dark coffee laced with caramel.

T: I taste a lot more bitterness than I would have expected from the smell of the beer. It has a lot of roasted grain flavor. I don't really get any hop bitterness, despite the picture of hops on the label.

M: Mouthfeel is on the heavy side, with a strong body of roasted bitterness. Not overwhelming at all.

O: Overall it's a good beer, but I felt it could have used a unique character to identify itself. With the body and flavor as strong as it was, I'm surprised it's only 6% ABV. I would drink it again, but I probably wouldn't buy it. It's just to average of a beer to crave.

3.53/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Thick foamy mocha colored head over a pretty darn black beer

S - A little nutty and malty, but not a ton else

T - Roasted malts, coffee and bitter. Really not much else to say. Good, but not overly complex.

M - Dry, thin, surprisingly crisp. Well carbonated. A bit of a bitter aftertaste.

O - Good taste and pretty drinkable with a relatively low ABV. Not too filling either.

3.53/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours an opaque black with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Tiny dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, char, fudge, and slight soy sauce aromas. Taste is much the same with char, cocoa powder, and slight soy sauce flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roast bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer, but the soy sauce characteristics diminish the drinkability in this one a bit for me.

Serving type: bottle.

3.54/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Interesting dark lager that pours and feels and tastes like a stout. Not bad not great. I wouldn't drink it again.

3.55/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours black as Dick Cheny's soul and sports a rocky dark brown head that clumps and holds the side of the glass.

Smells fantastic! Dark roasted coffee, burnt nibs, and a fresh green hop stank that promises grapefruit rind.

Taste, well... where'd all the flavors go? Mild dark lager that goes quickly to a burnt grain dry finish. There's a flash of chocolate and hops, but it's only microseconds long.

Mouthfeel is a bit light as well, which goes a touch frothy.

Drinkable, most definitely. I think I wanted this beer to be more than it is, which left me feeling "All hat and no cattle". I think it just smells much better than it tastes, which isn't all bad. Glad to see the GYO philosophy at work.

3.55/5  rDev -11.5%

22oz into a pint

A - Pours dark as night. Holy smokes this beer is thick. Head formation is strong, a few mm, very dark mocha.

S - The smoke of charred wood comes through strongly. It appears to be tempered by some chocolate notes. Highly roasted, to almost burnt.

T - Highly roasted malt profile. Extremely burnt notes - although I'm not sure I'd call it the smoke that drives it. A little bit of a creamy lactose like taste comes through. Finishes with a bittersweet note. Hops are light. As far as black lagers go go, the lighter smoke profile is a good thing - don't want it to be like a rauchbier.

M - Moderate beer body - can be a bit creamy. Carbonation is present, giving a little bit of a sting to the tongue. The smoky texture coats the tongue with that burnt flavor.

D - Moderately drinkable. Manageable ABV. The flavors are just a bit overwhelming for a session beer. Not filling.

Almost carries itself like a rauchbeer, but this beers use of balancing flavors makes it more appealing.

3.56/5  rDev -11.2%

poured from a bomber into a shaker glass. thick mocha-colored head, two fingers settles quickly to about 1/4 inch. beer appears to be truly black; i feel like it isn't, but even when held up to the light i get nothing but darkness.

the look and smell is reminiscent of stout, but the mouthfeel is thinner, as should be expected with the style. aroma is part chocolate, part smoke. the chocolate disappears when i take a sip, but it's still smoky with some burnt coffee.

i'm loving the sustainability behind this beer. it's just not one of the best beers i've ever had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a pilsner glass. Pours very dark, almost black, with a thick tan head that deflates as it disappears.

This beer has a coffee and roasted malt aroma, with some barley notes. While it has the look of a stout, it does not have that deep full smell you get from a good stout.

The taste is more thin and light than you'd expect from such a dark beer. Barley and malt hit you up front, with a very slight sour taste followed by burnt peat. This one grows on you as you drink your way through the bottle, so be patient.

All in all, a decent beer that I'm glad to have tried. I appreciate brewers like Rogue that have the guts to experiment like this!

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

-appearance is by far the best feature of this beer. no light at all through the blackness and a good tall brown head

-roasted malts, little coffee

-black coffee at first and then the roasted/smoked taste really takes over. then it really just hugs onto your taste buds with a firm grip. aftertaste is really hard

-little too much carb bite and a little dry from all the roastiness it seems

-the roastiness and smokiness is a little overpowering for me. it is a pretty decent beer, but i couldnt really go back for it or take in 2 in a night. so overall, it wasnt that great for me

3.62/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

750ml bottle to tulip half pint glass.

Very very dark black. No light penetration at all. Small head not much lacing.

Dark malt nose. No much alcohol. Medium hops.

Nice slight fizziness. Thick mouthfeel but with a nice balanced flavour.

Stout like but different mouthfeel

3.63/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours extremely black, no other shade of anything resembling pitch black, with an almost brown head. It's almost perfect in appearance, I just like a little thicker head with a bit more retention.

Has a thick malty scent to it, with chocolate, coffee and wood prevalent.

Unfortunately, this is a lager and it lacks as much taste as it looks and smells like it would have. There are NOTES of chocolate and coffee and smoke, but nothing stands out.

There's just not much character in this beer. It starts off kind of bland and finishes with a slightly bitter feel. There's nothing in between.

This is a better than average beer, it just doesn't blow me away like I expected based on its look and smell.

Rogue Farms Dirtoir Black Lager from Rogue Ales