Rogue Farms Dirtoir Black Lager - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Schwarzbier |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Cresant on 12-22-2009

Malts: Melanoidin, Carafe Special II, Black, Chocolate and Rogue Micro-Barley Farm first growth Risk malts.
Hops: Rogue Micro-Hop Yard first growth Independent and Revolution.
Yeast & Water: Oktoberfest Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

130 AA
75º Lovibond
4.03/5  rDev 0%

Wow, this beer looks like a stout! Huge creamy brown head with great retention. It leaves a film and a fair amount of lacing. Absolutely black and cant see through it. no carbonation.

I smell some roasted caramel malt sweetness with hop bitterness. A little lager yeast. Some chocolate notes (I hope that’s not just my imagination). Vanilla. Something metallic?

The chocolate was definitely not my imagination. It does have that crisp bitter lagery hoppiness.
Touch of licorice. Molasses. Not as burnt/hoppy as a porter or stout. Bit of an aftertaste. Still something metallic.

Mouthfeel is like a porter. Sticky upfront and a little dry in the end. Thin to medium body.

Very easy to drink and I would enjoy it as a session beer.

3.94/5  rDev -2.2%

A - Almost pure black. Fine bubbled mocha grey head, solid lace with decent retention.

S - Toffee, dry roast, coffee, potato, pumpernickel rye bread.

T - Deep dry roast, charcoal, oatmeal, potato bread, coffee grinds.

M - Light frame, but creamy.

O - Great roast character with excellent drinkability.

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

another rogue, another decent brew. i had no idea these are so good.
pours a BLACK, BLACK, no-ruby-around-the-edges BLACK with the burnt brown, guinness foreign extra stout kind of head.
the smells i got when i put my nose in there were cigarette ash tray, then charcoal-grill remains, then a deep malty smell. i have never smelled that in any of the other schwarzbiers ive tried.
the taste is a deep espresso-meets-bitter-chocolate stout type of flavor rather than the (again) schwarzbeirs i've tasted from germany. someone else compared it to a chocolate stout and i feel it's more of a stout than a "black lager", but i'm a novice.
mouthfeel is heavy. i'm feeling full already. at least it's a 6%'er so i got a little extra abv notched in there before i get too full.
overall, i like it. it's heavy, and i was expecting a MUCH LIGHTER brew (it says LAGER, for dog's sake...) , but there really hasnt been a LOT of beers i dont like, so maybe beer tasting really isnt my thing. but i WONT drink BUD, so i do have some class.

3.73/5  rDev -7.4%

A standard pour of Rogue Ales' Chatoe Rogue First Growth Dirtoir Black Lager produces a sticky, dark-mocha foam held up by jet-black body. Even when held up to lamps and mid-day sunlight, this beer refuses to let any light shine through.

The beer's nose follows the its appearance at first. Roasted coffee and grains are at the fore. This beer's ABV, which is high relative to most beers in the style, is palpable but subdued. The alcohol adds a bit of complexity to the nose by introducing notes of dark raisins. The nose is appealing, but recalls a moderately strong stout more than a Schwarzbier.

Other reviewers have found notes of dark chocolate in Dirtoir Black Lager. I didn't. The primary flavor of this beer is of roasted malts, and suggests roasted flavors such as dark coffee and blackened figs. The hops show themselves only after the palate grows accustomed to the roasted malt. Their contribution to the beer's overall flavor is subdued to say the least, but palpable, especially in the beer's lingering aftertaste. In it, they contribute a hint of earthy spice, though it is not clear what this spiciness is supposed to complement. Surely their bitterness is palpable, but the roasted malt itself provides a bit of bitterness, and it is not clear how much of the slightly bitter aftertaste is due to the hops. Still, despite this somewhat muddled mixture, the taste of the roasted malt is enough to justify a high score.

As the beer's appearance suggested, the mouthfeel of this beer is full-bodied. Supple and rich malt coats the palate. Carbonation is a bit too aggressive to my taste, and fails to produce the kind of creamy foam that I expect from a superior Schwarzbier.

Rogue's Ditroir Black Lager disappointed me. It is a very nice beer, but fails to compare with others in both the Schwarzbier style and beers with similarly dark, roasted flavors in Rogue's line. Give Dirtoir Black Lager a try. Then treat yourself to a bottle of Rogue's Chocolate Stout. You'll see what I mean, and I doubt you'll pick up another bottle of the former. I know I won't.

3.65/5  rDev -9.4%

Pitch black color with a giant deep mocha colored head. Pungent nose right from the get go. Great lacing. Smell is of typical Schwarzbier scents but amplified times 10. Chocolate, fresh coffee, asphalt, and anisette. Touch of musty earthiness most likely from the hops.

Light brisk body, thin mouthfeel, even a bit watery. Immediately different mouthfeel from other rogue beers probably because of the lack of pacman yeast. Roasted malt on the tip of the tongue with touches of chocolate caramel and coffee. Smoke touches of the back of the tongue followed by a drying yet balancing hop bitterness. While the malt flavors themselves which are usually sweet actually are percieved as bitter, the gentle hop oil balances this effect. Sets the bar for the style, drinkability with massive flavor. Could have a touch more carbonation to break up the thinness a bit but overall pretty good.

slight astringency on the back end with lingering roasted malt and smoke flavor.

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip.

A- My boss popped this one at work when I wasn't looking so I didn't catch the head on it unfortunately. There was a saturn ring of mocha hugging the side of the glass though, and some carbonation surfacing the top of the beer from what I can only assume was uniformed since I couldn't see through the charred brown body. Looked very nice in the tulip though.

S- Roasty toasty malts! Some dark chocolate, and a hint of coffee. Smelled very "stouty." It was an inviting aroma indeed!

T- Yummy!!! Lightly roasted malt, chocolate and some coffee. Nice dry hop finish. The nose and palate is not overwhelmed with complexity, however this is a very solid taste that follows a solid nose. I loved it!

MF- Smooth. Medium body and carbonation, and a nice dry finish. Interesting for a lager! Flavor really sticks too!!!

O- Great beer! Rogue has never disappointed me, not once. I would definitely recommend trying this out, and I know I am looking forward to the other two beers in their Chateau series! Worth the buy, hands down.

2.99/5  rDev -25.8%

22oz bottle, split and shared with my wife, poured my allotment into a mug. This is crazy thick! Slowly glugs out of the bottle. This is like used motor oil. Not what I would expect from a lager, albeit dark. No light penetrates at all. Frothy mocha head on top. I would swear this is big stout. Notes of chocolate, dirty greens, baker’s yeast.

The mouth is creamy smooth and heavier than I’d like. This is really odd for a Schwarzbier. Not as easy-drinking as expected. Really big flavors of chocolate, roasted malts. These flavors are usually nice and mellow with this style, but this is just way too ‘big.’ Imperial Schwarz? Glad I tried this, but this isn’t what I’d reach for when in the mood for this, one of my favorite styles. A miss for me.

4.03/5  rDev 0%

Review from 1/2010 notes. Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours black with a dark brown head with good retention, leaving lacing. Light roasted and sweet malt chocolate aroma. Flavor dominated by very roasted malts. Burnt chocolate, coffee and a bitter middle taste with lingering non-hop bitterness. Medium bodied. Interesting, but could use some balance. A good schwarzbier.

3.28/5  rDev -18.6%

Thought I had mistakenly popped the top on a RIS at first.

Deep black colored beer with with a small chocolate colored head. Looks like a strong stout or imperial porter in the glass. Darkest colored example of the beer style I have seen.

Smell is strong patent malt and sweet malt syrup. Strong coffee, chocolate and smoke scents. Toasted bread aroma except in this case the toast got burnt! Again smells more like a stout.

Starts out thick and burnt. Fair amount of chocolate and abundant patent malt. Quite thick in the mouth, again more like a stout than a lager. Toasted bread flavors with molasses sugars. The Taste is OK but it sure isn't lighter and refreshing like a lager I was expecting.

Mouthfeel is thick like an Oatmeal Stout, again entirely un-lager like.

Overall it tastes OK but in my opinion is FAR from anything that in the Lager style of beer. Seems the brewer went all EXTREME on this beer and made an Oatmeal Stout out of a Schwartzbier.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

Deep mocha head on a black body. Collar.

Charred chocolate on the nose. Diggin the smell.

Follows the smell. Add a touch of licorice. Big overpowering taste which would lead you to believe its bigger than its stated ABV.

Smooth. Medium carbonation.

Pretty nice Schwartz here. Don't think I could drink it all myself. Thanks for the try TATURBo.

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%

I had a bottle of this at the Five Napkin Burger restaurant in Manhattan's upper west side.

Color was a dark black with a surprisingly dark head. Not a lot of carbonation but enough for the style.

Aroma was pretty roast. Not as strong as I would have liked but definitely enough to make it interesting.

Flavor as well combined the highlights of a lager with the roastiness of a dark malt. Some astringance on the back of the tongue.

Very good beer although a little expensive for what it was. I'd definitely recommend it.

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

We stopped at Beer Revolution for a pretzel, and to see which Rogue beers they were bringing in for thes weekend's BeerFest. This was the first time I have seen Dirtoir (bottle or draft).
Good looking beer, dark black liquid with a thick, mocha colored head peeking over the edge of the glass. Bubbles were not as tight as a Guinness, but lasted longer anyways.
I have had other black lagers that were just dark in color, but otherwise were indistinguishable from any other lager. Boy was I suprised, roasted malt, coffee, and chocolate smells, as good as many porters/stouts.
Flavor was just as full as the aroma, dark chocolate, coffee bitterness, slightly nutty.
Some dark fruit-like sweetness, balanced by some bitterness (reminded me of cold coffee grounds).
Slightest hint of smokiness at the end (I might have prefered a bit more smoke).
Smooth and creamy, moderate carbonation gives it a medium body (heavier than other schwarzbier/black lagers), easy to drink.
That's a winner!

Note to self: Ranked #2 Top Beers - Schwarzbier when I tried it.

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

Very nice 'heavy' schwarzbier in my opinion. Not heavy as far as feel or taste, but it looks like it's gonna smack you in the mouth with a malt sack.

Black pour alright. Nice frothy thick rich-brown head. Fantabulous.

Aroma is surprising in that it's not like a scotch ale where the sweetness is nose prickling. I get some earth and grilled soy patties. Chocolate and coffee beans.

The taste is just good, but not great. Where the earthiness and soy come in, they replace some sweetness, like Jolly Rancher candy, that some/most German schwarzbiers give me. Not that this is bad. Just different. And it's good. Quite good

4.53/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22fl oz bottle. Mahou Pokal glass. Enjoyed on dec´11. Pours dark mahogany, dark copper to the light. Beige .medium size bubbled,creamy foam. Thick layer crown.Lasting with copious rings. Toasted,not burnt,malts, hints of black chocolate to the nose. Dry malts at first sip.Slightly smoked in the middle. Gentle dry & malty palate.Very soft bitterness.Medium body, flavorful. Medium carbonation. Refreshing & pleasant drinkability.An incredible malty beer with an outstanding malty balance.

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

I put off getting this beer because of the price. It's not really expensive but I didn't think paying ~$8 would be worth it for a black lager. And oh...oh, was I wrong. I'll get straight into this review.

I've poured many black lagers before. They're usually black at first sight but a ruby-ish color up to a light, with an off-white or tan head. This black lager...looks like a stout. It's like pouring out a less viscous oil. No light makes its way through this. The head forms a bit slowly, about one and half fingers high, and a dark tan, like milk cocoa powder in color. Retention is moderate and it fizzes out fairly quickly until a thin layer of frothy head stays on top. There was barely any lacing on my first pour but a good amount in my later pours into my glass. It's very surprising but I found it welcoming. It made me want to know more about the beer.

I'm used to black lagers having roasted, coffee, and chocolate notes, but this brings them out like none I've ever inhaled before. Roasted coffee, chocolate, the dark fruits of figs and black cherry. There's also a graininess that can be picked up through a full inhale. A hint of hops tingles the nose while there's some woodiness in there too.

You might have guessed that this beer doesn't really taste like a black lager. It tastes like a delicious stout. Dark chocolate and intensely roasted coffee bring lengthy taste and a good bitterness that's not overpowering. Then come the dark fruits that and a bit of tartness and sweetness. Later in the finish is a nuttiness that has its own slight bitterness. As I said previously, the chocolate and roasted coffee linger for a long time, making you enjoy the flavors long after you've put the beer down. After I let it warm up there's more sweetness that comes out, like milk chocolate and caramel. There is a sort of milkiness to it as well. I could probably go on more but I'll just say this is divine.

Oh my, this is a smooth and exceptionally creamy. Medium-low carbonation keeps it smooth. It's medium body is heavier than all other black lagers I've had. It has good drinkability but not great, but really the taste is so damn good that you shouldn't care in the least.

I keep thinking I'm rating this too high but damnit, this was a surprising beer to me and one that blew my socks off. I'm a sucker for intense roasty goodness in beers and this one brings that more than most. I am oh so grateful that I decided to buy this beer. Great job, Rogue!

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

In my notes I wrote “blacklight safe,” but I think this refers to something on the tap handle perhaps? Although it did pour a solid, roasty black with some light showing through so maybe that’s what I meant. Anyways, there’s a great roasty malt aroma on this with some chocolate notes. Flavor is all about the dark chocolate and roast. There’s a sharp hop bite with a malty roundedness and a smooth finish that ends sweet. It warms well, and remains pleasing throughout. You know what? I liked it.

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%

This tastes to me exactly like a Porter, but if it's got to be a Schwarz, it's one of the best ones I've had. Big beige head, fine foamy mouthfeel, and a subtle roast malt aroma. Black and dense and hugely flavorful for the modest alcohol.

Wide range of dark roast flavors, a little charred. Excellent balance of the sweet touch along with the burnt flavors and the hops. Has that "black" flavor that is quite exceptional. I'd venture to say it's the best Rogue beer I've had, among their peculiar and not always appealing offerings.

Bought the 22 oz bottle for $5.89 at Windmill Farms market in San Diego.

3.73/5  rDev -7.4%

A - This black lager pours like a stout. Seems thick and has a nice 2" tan head that dissipates quickly. Not much lacing to speak of.

S - Very malty and slightly smokey with glimpses of dark chocolate and coffee.

T - Starts off with smokey/earth flavors and ends with some bitter dark chocolate or coffee.

M - Smooth beer, medium carbonation.

O - Not bad, it's an intriguing beer. I love stouts and this kept my attention.

4.07/5  rDev +1%

From notes on 02/14/12:
No freshness date; Poured in a pint glass.

A - 1/2" of dark tan, frothy head that doesn't last long; Pitch black in color; No real lacing left behind

S - Very malt forward here with notes of dark chocolate, nuts, earthiness, tobacco, and molasses; Faint hint of sweetness in the nose

T - Immediate bittersweet malty flavors of woody, earthy, smoky, nutty, and tobacco qualities hit up front; The taste then develops into more of a toasty, roasted coffee, and chocolate flavor with underlying hops just barely poking through; Very mild bitterness present in the first half of the taste

M - Above moderate carbonation; Medium bodied; A bit syrupy in the mouthfeel that leaves a light semi-dry coat in the mouth

O - This is a schwarzbier that I'd certainly come back to again. With the inclusion of smoky, nutty, and chocolate flavors/aromas, this beer is unique for the style, but a very good offering for sure. Rogue did a nice job with this beer, which leads me to wonder what sort of creations other respected American brewers could offer in this underappreciated style.

4.48/5  rDev +11.2%

22 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Beer pours an almost pitch black with a great amount of brown head. Beer laces throughout with likely the most lacing I have ever had on a beer.

Beer smells strongly of roasty dark chocolate and a bit of smoke and charcoal.

The beer tasts intiailly of a woody, smokey taste, followed by a good amount of roasty flavor. Finishes very well.

Moutfeel was a bit on the chalky side, but very drinkable.

Great, complex black lager

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Almost seems we drank a different beer than many of the reviews.
Complex aroma and flavor with the multiple grains and hops all contributing nicely to experience. The smokiness was mild and blended very nicely. It overall had an ale quality, with a heavier body and dark malt pushing towards roast. The lager qualities were in the slight yeast flavor and a soft clean finish. Attractive appearance.
I'm not sure I'd call this a schwarzbier as it falls into that nether land of mixed styles. But I would call it good.
Thanks Chuck. Shared among friends.

4.3/5  rDev +6.7%

22 ounce bottle into pint glass, no bottle dating. Pours pitch black with a nice 2 finger fairly dense dark tan head with nice retention that reduces to a minimal cap eventually. Not much lacing on the glass. Aromas of huge dark chocolate, charcoal, smoked meat, wood, coffee, caramel, dark roasted malt, vanilla, and some herbal hops. Wow, nice aromas here that threw me for a loop. I was not expecting to be hit in the face with smokiness. Taste of big dark chocolate, dark roasted malt, smoke, wood, caramel, nuttiness, and light herbal spiciness. Decent bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of dark chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, smoke, and caramel on the finish for a while. Medium carbonation and body; with a highly creamy, lush, and smooth mouthfeel for a 6% beer. Hardly any alcohol present other than a slight warming after the finish. Very drinkable stuff; and it is also very robust in flavor for the gravity. Overall this is an outstanding schwarzbier; with a very robust flavor profile, and easy smooth drinking. Definitely surprised me with the smokey profile at first though.

4.03/5  rDev 0%

A- Dark dark color, virtually black. Head is tanned, one finger, lasts pretty well and leaves good lacing. This is what I like dark lagers to look like.
S- Mild but pleasant with coffee, milk chocolate, and a touch of charred wood. Very light and barely noticable hop.
T- Quite smokey on the tongue. It definitely has a campfire like flavor to it with a bit of milk chocolate as well. Nice long smokey finish.
M- Medium body, medium-low carb and quite smooth.
O- A very tasty dark beer that I wouldn't mind having a few of. Worth a try.

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%

I can't help but wonder what all the hoopla is about.
First growth, a half dozen different hops.. etc.
Don't get me wrong-- it's a nice Schwarzbier, but I'm not doing a dance over it.
The flavor is mild- hops bitterness without being overpowering.
This is a black lager beer, but it's as I expect from the German style- a light bodied beer with mild flavor.
the most discernible flavor is the hops, behind that is toasted malt and finally some yeast thrown in for good measure.

The beer produces a kind of logarithmic finish-- in that the initial hops and toasted malt dissipates leaving a much milder but clean finish that dissolves but leaving a clean ending.

Mouthfeel is cordial-- I classify this as a "light beer".

Overall-- it's probably a nice refresher beer. It's lighter falvorand body make it easier to enjoy...

3.13/5  rDev -22.3%

Chatoe Rogue First Growth Dirtoir Black Lager

Pours a very dark brown with off white khaki colored head and lace. Aroma of roasted, smokey malts and a coffee like presence. In the taste, upfront are roasted malts and a twang from the hops and smoke. Mild citrus notes beneath some coffee, cocoa and smoke. A small alcohol presence is noted. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a low carbonation. Overall, a half decent schwarz but next year would probably be better.

Rogue Farms Dirtoir Black Lager from Rogue Ales