John John Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

John John Dead Guy AleJohn John Dead Guy Ale

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.40% ABV

"Dead Guy Ale aged in Dead Guy Whiskey Barrels"

Malts: Carastan, Rogue Micro-Barley Farm Dare & Risk malts.
Hops: Saaz, Willamette, Rogue Micro-Farm Hop Yard Revolution hops.
Yeast & Water: Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: RedBrewer83 on 01-10-2010)

Bike2work, May 29, 2012

tjeppaint, Mar 28, 2012

Pours a dark golden hue into a snifter with a limited head. The aroma is primarily of whiskey, with a little of the familiar dead guy aroma hiding behind. At first, the taste is really whiskey like, but gradually, the whiskey flavor fades, and I can taste the beer which lies beneath.

I don't really enjoy whiskey, but I enjoy this beer. The whiskey isn't overwhelming; it's warming but never cloying. The mouthfeel is still pretty light. Overall, I enjoy it, although I miss Dead Guy's hop presence.

ebby82, Oct 29, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +2.9%

A- Deep tawny hazy orange that leave about a two finger head that fades quickly but maintains a minimal coverage.

S-Sweet caramel malt aroma with small hints of whiskey.

T-Taste follows the nose with the sweet caramel malts with a slight honey sweetness. Then I get a mild whiskey/oak barrel flavor thats not overwhelming and grows stronger as the beer warms up. Also picking up some slight vanilla notes.

M-Noting exceptional, medium body, light carbonation.

O- This whiskey/barrel flavor is very subtle. I really like the beer because dead guy is one of my go to beers and will still get this beer on occasionally in the future, but would have liked a little more of the barrel flavor.

Wolfpack2005, Sep 30, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

A - The beer has a cloudy and amber-colored appearance, which looks very appetizing.

S - My nose isn't refined, so I can't really get into it, but it smells good. For me, I can only smell that it definitely was coming from whiskey barrels. I can smell a whiff of bourbon (maybe?) whiskey emanating from the glass.

T - While tasting this beer, I can taste the whiskey. The beer isn't too overpowering, but it may be a little underwhelming.

M - It really does taste sweet and after swishing the beer, I could taste the whiskey as I swallow. the whiskey after-taste lingers somewhat, but it's not too overpowering.

Overall, I think I hold Goose Island's beers to be the standard where I compare everything else to. Well, Goose Island is the standard when it comes to anybody who attempts to brew beers with whiskey barrels.

However, I still enjoyed this beer as it's refreshing change from the usual IPAs I drink. I can see myself drinking this again when I come back to Oregon visiting my family.

2xHops, Jul 02, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

truthcontortion, Feb 19, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

bobotron, Oct 01, 2012
3.33/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours a deep caramel color and look a bit on the thicker side. The aroma isn't much there, maybe the beer could of been a little bit warmer then when it was served? At the initial taste it has a bit of caramel taste to it, but much less then the standard Dead Guy Ale. The whiskey flavor is much less then you would hope for. This was an easy to drink beer, but nothing all that special... like I said, going after Curieux is a tough job. give this one a 3.5

pastradul, Apr 14, 2010

NvMyBeer, Dec 23, 2011

karatebartender, Mar 20, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured into a snifter glass - mild head with nice lacing.

Appearance: golden copper hue - cloudy

Smell: pears, hint of whisky, pineapple, orange flinstone vitamin, honeydew, very simple and nice smell, hops, apricot

Taste: light - pineapple, hint of whisky, citrus, sour tangerine, apricot, slight taste of hops, faint milk chocolate on forefront of aftertaste, bitterness, alcohol dries out the back end of the taste

Mouthfeel: watery, chewy, crisp

Drinkability: very drinkable - not overly rich with fruit or flavor like some maibocks. very enjoyable.

LauraAlberts, Jun 05, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -1%

A -- Agressively poured down the center into a Moonlight Brewing pint glass, huge head, about 5 fingers, that quickly dissipates to have of that says and has nice retention, good lacing. Cloudy medium amber, not quite transparent.

S -- A definite nose of whiskey and oak. A nice amount of medium malt is there as well, maybe even hints of a yeast like smell.

T/m - Whiskey, mild oak, mid to heavy malt flavors. A very very drinkable barrel aged product. I would call this the closest thing to a session whiskey barrel aged beer. Very drinkable, especially on a hot day. Not exactly complex, but in no way is this a lame duck! very nice texture.

O- Overall, seek and destroy! this is a very well played beer, that delivers on the appearance and promises that it gives. Seek this out and destroy it! Form your own opinion but I say its a go all day!

PP (Price Point) -- This is actually going to be one of the toughest PP Ratings I have ever had to argue with myself over. The Price Point on this is $8.99 for a 22oz bomber.75-80% of myself agrees that this is indeed fair, but the other remaining portion of my brain says that this SHOULD have been kicked up an additional 2% of ABV, its roughly a 6.5% and should be closer to 8%, preferably 9% for that price. overall a nice beer!

alexhahn82, Jul 11, 2011

mitlinks, Feb 03, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

Thanks richbrew! Poured from 22oz bomber into snifter on 3/29. Pours the color of honey just like the bottle says! 2 finger white head quickly dissapates. Smells of fruit, malt, little hops, and apple juice?! I get the same tastes with wood, sweet honey, and a slight alcohol finish. light to medium body and lightly carbed. Drinkability is so-so. A whole bomber is almost too much.

gnemesis, Apr 28, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

mettkea, Jul 14, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

Bomber poured into Duvel snifter. Served 45-50 F. Thick layer of sediment on bottom of bottle.
A: Dark hazy brown and purple around the edges. Pours thick inch of frothy head that has large pock marks. Head reduces to thin splotchy lace the sticks around snifter.
S: Sweet toasted malts. Slight woody aroma.
T: Sweet toasted malts, mild nuttiness, and smooth woody linger. Sweet whiskey is more apparent as beer is consumed.
M: Medium on tongue, very slight syrup feel.
D: Whiskey barrels smooth the brew out and enhances its subtleties.

THORN, Feb 08, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: An aggressive pour yields 4 fingered head that is slightly off-white head that recedes faster than my patience for this beer. The body is a clear, light-amber color. Like a thin honey. Not too impressive, but that's fine. There's a lot of carbonation that rises in little columns and is fun to watch.

S: Perhaps the best aspect of this beer. It's pretty sweet. I immediately pick up the malts and Sazz hops and some apple scents. A little vanilla coating seems to meld it all together. I pick up the slightest hint of oak barrel, but I don't know if I'd get that if I hadn't known to smell for it.

T: The idea hypes this up for me. Dead Guy Ale (one of my first beer loves) aged in whiskey oak barrels. A brilliant concept. So why does this taste like watered-down Dead Guy Ale!? That brilliant maibock taste becomes a bit convoluted with the slight hints of oak and whiskey barrel along with a stronger presence of sweet flavors like apple and caramel. Nothing seems to dominate here, but intead of that making the beer well balanced, it seems more like a messy cacophony of flavors. Still, considering its base as Dead Guy, it still tastes good.

M: Watery. It doesn't serve the beer well. Also, the carbonation seems a little flat.

D: A disapoitment for sure, but it still is a an easy drinkin' beer and easy to enjoy. Perhaps I would have liked this more if I had less expectations and less experience with Rogue and barrel aged beers. But still, the concept screams out to be bold, but it holds back, settling for safe instead of great.

mmva321, Apr 17, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

Zbrown2307, Jun 18, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Drank 6/6/11

A: A reddish amber hue with some nice, just off-white head. Some spotty, erratic lacing.

S: I always have to be reminded that Dead Guy is a Bock. The nose is pretty damn similar to regular Dead Guy, and for that I knock it down a bit. Other than that it's good.

T: The whiskey comes though! That being said, it's like pouring a quarter shot of whiskey into 8oz of Dead Guy. I'm not too impressed, but it's definitely not bad.

M: On the light side of medium, with good carb and a solid finish. I wish it were a little smoother.

O: This beer constantly leaves me wishing for just a bit more. It's not a bad beer, but it could have a little more panache.

mjyoung, Jun 07, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -1%

Poured a cloudy burnt amber with a huge puffy head. Lots of bubbles.

Smelled OK. I was expecting that sweet whiskey aroma but really just got the smell of a regular Dead Guy Ale. A little biscuity.

But, the flavor was definitely different than Dead Guy Ale. The vanilla was a bit overwhelming and I didn't get the malt and hops on the first sip. When I went back again, after letting it settled down from the pour, I got more of the vanilla but found the malts. However, I didn't get any hop bitterness that I find in a fresh Dead Guy Ale. Really, what this reminds me of is a spiced winter warmer. The vanilla from the barrels is just too strong for this bock.

The carbonation kept this from being too syrupy. I definitely liked the mouthfeel.

I couldn't drink many of these. It's just too vanilla sweet. I'll stick with good ol' Dead Guy Ale.

BuckeyeOne, Jan 29, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance - Lightly opaque amber; with a sturdy white, frothy head. 3.0/5.0

Smell - Hmmm...whiskey. Malt is subdued and slightly sweet. I would have preferred a strong aroma. 3.5/5.0

Taste - Gotta say it again...hmmm...whiskey. Oaky, with a tasty, toasty sweetiness near the middle of the taste. Finishes off as you would expect a sip of quality whiskey would, with a hint of vanilla and caramel. Flavors are balanced and not overly strong. - 4.0/5.0

Feel - Smooth, full aftertaste. Lacks the syrupy quality that I've seen in bourbon beers, but that's ok, this one works. - 4.0/5.0

Drinkability - This is an amazing harmony of a spirit and beer, would definitely get this one again. 4.0/5.0

taxguyjase, Apr 15, 2010

wmickdds32, Nov 24, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +8.6%

01/25/2010
22 oz. bottle poured into a pilsener glass.

A: Poured a rich amber with big off-white head. Tons of lacing. Not too shabby.

S: Definitely has an oakey scent from aging in the whiskey barrels. Some hoppy notes as well.

T: Oakey with roasted malts and lots of hops. Mild bitter hop aftertaste.

M: Pretty smooth, yet full-bodied. Feeling improved a lot by the end of the bottle.

D: Nice one-off from Rogue. I love beer and I love whiskey, so I'm glad I had a chance to try this. Looking forward to trying Rogue's other recent brewmaster/spirits master combos.

DoppleJock, Jan 26, 2010