1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

John John Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

John John Dead Guy AleJohn John Dead Guy Ale

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.40% ABV

"Dead Guy Ale aged in Dead Guy Whiskey Barrels"

Malts: Carastan, Rogue Micro-Barley Farm Dare & Risk malts.
Hops: Saaz, Willamette, Rogue Micro-Farm Hop Yard Revolution hops.
Yeast & Water: Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: RedBrewer83 on 01-10-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 501-525 | 526-550 | 551-575  | next › last »
3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

Murky amber with a thick, white head that thins out a little but remains full.
The smell is very malty, with a trace of toffee and white bread.
Not so much whisky in the flavor as I expected, but I can detect a tiny bit. Vanilla, oak, and caramel is present on the finish as the bottle states. Slight bitterness on the back end as well.
Mouthfeel is fairly light and crisp.
Drinkability is good; if it wasn't ten for a bottle I'd be happily starting in on another.
While I do enjoy the majority of Rogue's ales, I've never been a big fan of Dead Guy Ale. The aging in whiskey barrels, however, makes for a great improvement on this ale in my opinion.

Parrotbeak, Feb 04, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -1%

A- Poured from the tap into a pint glass with a thin offwhite head, which quickly receded to a hazy layer and collar. Some little bits of lacing were noted throughout the drink. The body was a clear (filtered) and uncarbonated medium amber color.

S- Smoky, oaky and whiskeylike nose... somewhat fruity and vanilla-like (presumably from the oak). Any malt and/or hops present are eclipsed by the aforementioned aromas.

T- The toasty malt somes through on the palate along with some substantial oakiness (and vanilla). The oak dominates midway and through the toasty finish. Big flavor profile for a 6.4% ABV brew.

M- Nice medium body. Well-attenuated, but this is balanced out by some super-soft carbonation.

D- Goes down easy, but the oakiness is a bit too much for me to want a second glass.

NOTE: This beer is classified here as a Maibock/Helles Bock... and I don't see how that classification works with Ale yeast...

jgasparine, Feb 03, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +9.4%

Saw it and picked it up. Looks like a novel beer, Rogue's not-quite-Maibock in whiskey barrels.

I poured it into my imperial pint glass, where it raised a ton of head over Dead Guy's typical clear burnt orange.

Wow, you do get obvious young whiskey barrel here. Bright oak aroma...not a dank old barrel smell. Toasted coconut too.

My first impression here was "shit, too much whisk." I thought the whiskey was overpowering the Dead Guy at first. While I do think it is dominant, the base beer starts to come through more and more the more I drink of it, I find. Yet, it is very woody - vanilla with a lot of that toasted coconut I was smelling. Dead Guy hoppiness there, but relegated to the background. This beer is straightforward and over the top, but pretty enjoyable as it stands.

For all the foamy ruckus this raises in the glass, it's pretty damned smooth, almost creamy.

First couple sips, I wasn't that crazy about this, but it's been a grower. There's something about that toasted coconut taste that keeps me coming back for more, not to mention the creamy smoothness that could keep me drinking this all night. I was kinda prepared to scream "gimmick" with this one, but I find that I can't. Good stuff, surprisingly good.

Patrick999, Feb 02, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +14.7%

Dead Guy Ale aged in whiskey bottles? Sounds interesting.

Pours a light amber color with a frothy head that fades down, leaving lacing on the glass.

Aroma is full of a hint of bourbon with sweet malt and floral hops in the nose.

Taste is full of sweet, grainy, chewy malt with just a hint of bourbon. Coats the mouth with a nice feeling. Tasty.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering malt and bourbon. No offensive flavors. Very light at the back of the mouth.

Very drinkable and certainly not strong as I had thought. The bourbon is muted enough to make it accessible to people. Very well done. I'd buy it again.

Brad007, Feb 01, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +13.4%

Had this on tap at Stub's. Pours a lovely amber orange color with a large white head that left some solid lacing on the goblet. Standard Dead Guy aroma of bready yeast, light hoppiness, but there's another woody/vanilla dimension that adds a nice touch. Flavor is dead on what I expected. Dead Guy with a touch of vanilla and wood but very light on the actual whiskey flavor. However, everything is well-integrated in this beer. I never thought this would be a great candidate for wood aging, but Rogue proved me wrong. I like Dead Guy Ale, and I thought this was a great version of it.

KeefD, Feb 01, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +9.4%

Bottle purchased at Rozis. Was excited to try this - Rogue is probably the only place in the country that could pull off a beer with proprietary estate grown malt and hops aged in their own spirit barrels. At 6.4%, I'm wondering if this will be like the Kentucky Bourbon Ale.

Appearance tells me this is going to be more of a substantial beer than I thought. Copper with a small white ring.

Smells of vanilla, bourbon, caramel.

Taste is quite nice - the bourbon is subtle but there is a nice depth it brings. The wood has imparted a wonderful vanilla taste. The aftertaste is reminiscent of a famous bourbon. The elements I remember being associated with dead guy aren't as defined - this is smooth caramel, not hoppy at all.

Smooth, creamy mouthfeel. Good amount of carb. Nothing exceptional.

Smooth and drinkable. A nice beer - I enjoyed this and may pick up another. Not one I see aging adding anything to, and I think it could have picked up a touch more wood, but a nice beer from Rogue - probably the best thing I've had from them in a few years.

jampics2, Jan 30, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +6%

Pour - dark golden to amber in color with a big fluffy head and plenty of streaming bubbles. Very nice looking pour.

Aroma - big whiff of vanilla, tannins and whisky up front. The nose of this just screams whisky barrel-aged. There are some nice sweet, warm malty smells as well.

Taste - lots of vanilla and whisky flavors come into play right away. Dead Guy Ale is a pretty basic beer for the most part and this just really showcases it with some bolder flavors. The barrel-aging really adds another dimension to a pretty standard beer. Along with the vanilla and wood flavors are some fruity estery flavors as well. Not sure where those come from. Very enjoyable with lots of flavor and character.

Overall - This is a very easy drinking barrel-aged beer and at under 7% its one of very few that aren't going to floor you after a glass or two.

Would I buy more of it? - I plan on buying more tomorrow to share with some friends as it seems like this release is hard to come by.

indiapaleale, Jan 29, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

Picked this up a Gravity in Olympia

A- looks like Dead Guy... maybe a little darker. Nice copper, gold hue. Thin head that dissipates quickly.

S- Faint aromas of malt and wood.

T- For a barrel aged beer, this is really something else. Most of the BA beers I'm used to have such an up front woodiness, or booziness in some cases. The barrel is really subdued in this beer. You get some wood and whiskey right on the nose, along with the earthy hops and bready malts of the base beer. The whiskey shows up again on the tail end, with some almost berry-like flavors. The flavors are very well integrated, and unlike many BA beers, this one is ready to drink NOW. A great example of what ELSE can be done with whiskey barrels.

M- Light, moderately carbonated, sticks around on the tongue for a while.

D- Much like the regular Dead Guy, this goes down really easy with a lot of flavor. If this came in decently priced sixers, I would buy this for a session. Not my favorite style, but nonetheless, awesome.

goatxpower, Jan 29, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -1%

Poured a cloudy burnt amber with a huge puffy head. Lots of bubbles.

Smelled OK. I was expecting that sweet whiskey aroma but really just got the smell of a regular Dead Guy Ale. A little biscuity.

But, the flavor was definitely different than Dead Guy Ale. The vanilla was a bit overwhelming and I didn't get the malt and hops on the first sip. When I went back again, after letting it settled down from the pour, I got more of the vanilla but found the malts. However, I didn't get any hop bitterness that I find in a fresh Dead Guy Ale. Really, what this reminds me of is a spiced winter warmer. The vanilla from the barrels is just too strong for this bock.

The carbonation kept this from being too syrupy. I definitely liked the mouthfeel.

I couldn't drink many of these. It's just too vanilla sweet. I'll stick with good ol' Dead Guy Ale.

BuckeyeOne, Jan 29, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -2.4%

22oz bomber

I love whiskey, I love Dead Guy. Unfortunately, the combination was not greater than the sum of the parts.

A: Beautiful head. Big and stays with you, off white.

S: You get a good whiskey smell right off the bat. It's not overpowering, quite nice actually.

T: Whiskey up front, vanilla on the back end. It definitely quite a step away from the Dead Guy.

M: Little heavier, and a little more alcohol than I would like. Especially considering the lower ABV.

D: Its good for a sitting, but certainly not quaffable. I would probably get this one again on tap, but wouldn't seek out a sixer or bomber. Recommended for a one time tasting, but not a go-to beer by any means.

modernartblues, Jan 28, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +8.6%

01/25/2010
22 oz. bottle poured into a pilsener glass.

A: Poured a rich amber with big off-white head. Tons of lacing. Not too shabby.

S: Definitely has an oakey scent from aging in the whiskey barrels. Some hoppy notes as well.

T: Oakey with roasted malts and lots of hops. Mild bitter hop aftertaste.

M: Pretty smooth, yet full-bodied. Feeling improved a lot by the end of the bottle.

D: Nice one-off from Rogue. I love beer and I love whiskey, so I'm glad I had a chance to try this. Looking forward to trying Rogue's other recent brewmaster/spirits master combos.

DoppleJock, Jan 26, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +9.4%

22oz bomber into taster glass.

Pours a slightly hazy, deep golden orange color. It has a light tan head with mild retention.
The scent is of sweet malty caramel with hints of alcohol, which both hold true for the flavor. It starts with a bit of whiskey flavor followed by the malty sweetness of caramel and perhaps vanilla. The oak also comes through towards the end. Not much hops at all, possibly towards the end, but is masked by the oak.
It has a nice mouth feel, medium bodied and enjoyable although nothing too spectacular.
It is a very enjoyable beer, and although I felt it was a bit heavy on the sweet side, as I was expecting a bit more of the whiskey to come through it was still very nicely balanced and very drinkable.

vkv822, Jan 25, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -1%

Interesting beer indeed, aged 3 weeks in Rouge dead guy whiskey barells.

Poured from the 22 ounce brown bomber into an oversized tulip. A one inch tan head forms up and recedes quickly to leave a thin cap of retention.
Color is a deeper darker copper color with hints of burnt caramel color, much less transparent then the original dead guy.
Thin slick spotty lace.

Aroma is of a good amount of caramel sweetness, big malt aroma, biscuits, and plenty of toasted oak and whiskey.

Mouthfeel is thicker with plenty of creamy full bodied feel.
Taste is less whiskey like then expected, especially after the aroma lead me to believethis would have some boosy heat to it. But there is none, no heat or booze, but light wood flavors and very light whiskey flavors. Mild grain alcohol flavors, without the alcohol heat.
So I let this sit a while and warm up.
Now the taste has improved dramatically. Booze comes forward a bit more, much more pronounced whiskey and oak flavors, mixing well with the flavors of the beer. Its well balanced without one item being more dominant or overwhelming.
Hops are mostly lost, some mild grassy floral notes into the swallow with a touch of bittering. But I'm not sure if thats the wood or the hops.

Overall this beer is pretty good, but not crazy or wild, just pretty good.
I think a bit more time in the barells would have been nice, and maybe doing this with double dead guy. Just an idea, but that would have added quite a bit more time to production. Possibly a future venture?

Buebie, Jan 24, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured into tulip...

A: Nice golden amber body, very bright and slightly opaque. The head is off white and a huge four fingers. Very creamy and falls in pockets leaving behind excellent lacing.

S: Huge caramel malt with hints of vanilla and whiskey. Slightly boozy and a little floral citrus hop finish. A little bready yeast rounds out the profile.

T: Follows nose with added boosts of vanilla and the whiskey is present and adds a nice complexity. Slightly boozy despite the low abv...must be the whiskey presence. A little nutty mid-palate and it blends nicely with the yeast profile. Overall its much more complex than dead guy with added malt, vanilla and whiskey.

M: Smooth medium body with nice carbonation that wakes up the tastebuds but doesn't overpower the flavors. Huge head adds a a slight creaminess to the mouthfeel.

D: For 6.4% this is slightly less drinkable than you would expect. The heavy malt body with the vanilla and booze make it just a bit less drinkable than regular dead guy, but still very nice. Enjoyed this beer, a little steep in price for what you get, but good.

RedBrewer83, Jan 10, 2010