Rogue Farms Single Malt Ale - Rogue Ales

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Blonde Ale |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: jsh420 on 03-13-2010)

jrdsvtk, Feb 21, 2012

laurastradford, Feb 05, 2013
1.63/5  rDev -55.3%

Appearance - uncaps with a major rush of air. Pouring into a DinkelAcker half-litre, I am greeted with eight to nine fingers of rocky off-white foam. With some patience I am getting the beer into the glass, but I can't help thinking that this may be a waste of time. As the beer goes, it has a coppery honeyed color, some haze to it. Nice-enough looking but these foamers usually are a bad sign.

Aroma - a bit funky but rather non-descript.

Taste - somne of the lower rated reviews state this as very bitter and astringent. That with the runaway head, I have a feeling the bottle is infected. It has that classic acrid, dry and bitter taste. Against my better judgment I take a healthy pull from the glass anyway (hey there's no pathogens in beer, right?), and I am rewarded with the faintest hint of fruitiness/hoppiness in the back but this is very dry, sharp, and unpleasant to me otherwise, and way gassy. I can taste parts of the beer that I think I'd like, but this bomber is a goner.

Mouthfeel - uber-crisp of course, the body has a medium feel and a layer of smoothness that I like.

Drinkability - probably pretty good with an intact bottle. I can't totally bottom out the score, I'm still nipping at the beer as I type, maybe got a third of it down, but I am always disappointed with infected bottles as I can't always find another sample easily. I'll keep my eyes open for this one though and give it another shot.

brewdlyhooked13, Jan 30, 2012
1.98/5  rDev -45.8%

22 oz bottle poured into a nonic.

Opening this beer lets out a violent hiss of CO2. As I pour, the glass quickly fills with foam, leaving maybe 25% beer and 75% foam in the glass. Volcanoes of bubble rush to the surface... First impression is that this is likely infected.

Aroma is harsh, mediciny, aspirin, fusel alcohol. First sip very astringent, bitter, and extremely dry and watery. There is something seriously off with this beer. There is absolutely no residual sweetness or mouthfeel, just a fizzy bitter taste, and then nothing.

Yuck. I'm not drinking this one. I gave it several healthy swallows, and I'm throwing in the towel. Down the drain it goes. A huge disappointment.

FickleBeast, Jul 21, 2012
2.35/5  rDev -35.6%

A: poured into a tulip which was golden yellow in color with one finger head and good lacing that stuck to the glass.

S: absolutely no hop character to this one, lost ao malt for sure with some bready notes coming through.

T: like the smell it has lots of malts and a bready taste to it.

M: this is light to medium body with very little carbonation. seems like it has sat around for awhile.

D: not impressed with this one, very basic flavors not complex at all. Dissapointed cause rogue makes some decent beers.

Gobzilla, Apr 23, 2010
2.38/5  rDev -34.8%

22oz bomber poured into a pint

A- Pours a bright golden yellow topped with a thick bright white head. Head dissipates rather quickly, but great lacing sticks around for the duration of the event.

S- Good things end with the appearance. Smell is an indistinct grainy mash and bready malt.

T- Very astringent taste. When cold its quite unpleasant. As it warms, the astringency wanes, but its still there.

M- Mouthfeel is middle of the road, well carbonated and a nice weight to the liquid. Like a low-carbonation soda.

O- Lack of interesting nose and the poor taste make this a loser, no reason to try again,

HugePlume, Sep 27, 2011

HiWire, Jun 29, 2013

GeorgeCarroll, Aug 27, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -31.5%

Pours a slightly hazy amber color with two finger of head that fade slowly with thick lacing. Grainy malt and piney hops combine in the aroma. The body is much thinner than I was expecting, and along with a strong, slightly harsh bitterness is the dominate characteristics of this beer. The bitterness is sharp and earthy, with just the slightest hint of malt sweetness. The finish is lingering with an unpleasant bitterness. Not a great beer - the single malt bill doesn't have what it takes to balance the hop profile and really holds this beer back.

curasowa, Nov 11, 2010

gbrill, Mar 15, 2013
2.65/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Picked this up at Goebbels in Wichita, ks

Starts out gushing, WTF?? Lost at least 6-8 oz. Thia pours a turbid amber with a finger of cream colored head. Never clears, but has good head retention & lacing

S: Faint maltyness

T: Plenty of malt sweetness, hints of honey, plus floral hops up front & dryness. Watered down apple juice, slight apricot as well as this warms, & more grainyness. Finishes watery, with apricot, grassyness & apple

MF: Light/medium bodied with firm carbonation. Becomes somewhat grainy when warm & thins out too

Drinks okay, but nothing too interesting going on here. I applaud the effort, but the results fall far short. Money is starting to get tight for beer, might be a long time before I pick up any of these Rouge experiments any time soon..

Maybe I got one out of date, how the hell would I know? No freshness dating,,,

russpowell, Aug 11, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -26%

WTF!? I figured by the name "Single Malt" that this would be a malty brew, but I was surprised again.

This is a hazy gold color. Definatley unfiltered.

This is one of the best smelling beers I have come across. It is super cleansing. It's like a palate cleanser for your nose. I smell a garden full of flowers, pizza dough, and environmentally friendly cleaning fluid (because it is a friendly cleaner smell). The hop aroma is tremendously on the floral side, I have smelled candles that smell like this.

Oh no, then the taste is like, Hops Hops Hops, Hops hops. I get no malt, damn it. The name is misleading. I get pine and water with bunches of hop oils in it. America needs to calm down with the hop obsession. Really dry taste, and a hint of grapefruit juice. I have a hard time identifying flavors in overly hopped beers.

It feels like Sprite with all sugar and syrupy sensations removed and replaced with grass.

Sorry Rogue, this one isn't doin' it for me.

Doppelbockulus, Jan 20, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -24.7%

geuze_gone_wild, Aug 26, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -24.7%

fullmoonbeer, Sep 01, 2013
2.98/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: light golden-orange color with 2+ fingers of ivory foam. Not bad; it looks a bit orange for a blonde ale, in my opinion.

Smell: sweet, grainy malt with a light dose of citrusy hops. There's also a kind of bizarre off-odor in my beer which I can only describe as rubbery. Could it be funky hops? It's hard for me to tell; a nice, mild aroma, but for the rubber. Call it OK.

Taste: grainy, dry malt flavor with some citrusy hops. Bitterness is somewhat strong for the style. I'm getting a little bit of the rubber, but not as much as in the aroma. Truth be told, I'm not crazy about this beer, but it's not objectively a "bad" beer.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a nice level of carbonation for the style.

Drinkability: I'm just not into Rogue's first foray into the chateau-beer world. This beer is awfully rough around the edges, and my guess would be that this is due to the hops. I just don't think this variety is well-suited to a single-variety beer.

flagmantho, May 06, 2010

22 oz bottle at 48 degrees into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A: It opens with a very loud hiss. It pours a hazy golden-orange with an enormous 3 and a half finger head that lasts forever and becomes quite rocky, leaving huge clumps of lace on the sides (and this was with a gentle pour).

S: Very floral and medicinal, grass, and some light citrus notes.

T: Flowers up front, grass, sweet citrus, and aspirin.

M: It has a medium-light body with lots of effervescence and palate-sticking flavors.

D: This is strange. The carbonation is way too high, the floral aromas are over-bearing, and it tastes like I'm licking a Bayer aspirin.

bucklemyshoe, Feb 07, 2011