Rogue Farms Single Malt Ale - Rogue Ales

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Blonde Ale |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: jsh420 on 03-13-2010)
3.75/5  rDev +3%

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

Abe_Froman, Mar 28, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Draw04, Mar 23, 2012

This and The Good Chit by Chatoe Rogue are the two best beers I've ever had for general beer consumption. Occasionally I like heavier and lighter beers, but for the standard, their single malt ale and the good chit are the best. Since I first tried these beers no other beer satisfies me, in the general range of beers, excluding heavies and true lights.

Here's my E=mc^2 description of this beer, and 'the good chit', which are both nearly indistinguishable, btw:

OMG, amazing, the best beers. The only beers that I have thought "How can I make these beers, these are the best I've ever had!" Because the balance of the flavor-nourishing-quality-feel is the best I've ever had.

Poured into a Jameson Irish Whiskey glass:
- Light golden liquid, medium white head.
- Beautiful light hoppy floral fruity aroma. Top quality.
- Amazing balance, only lightly sweet, grapefruity flavor, noticeable acid, but not too acid(whereas for example, S.N. Hefeweizen is too acid). For the alcohol content it has, it is not 'too sweet', and it is not 'mellow'. This is a lively refreshing and very nourishing feeling beer(though on the lighter refreshing side, but not too light, it has standard punch),...as part of a balanced diet.
The best. Amen!

Brand, Mar 22, 2012

andrewborstein, Mar 18, 2012

BugTownPub, Mar 09, 2012
3.43/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

A- Light crisp and hard to describe hop aroma.

A- Pours a very light golden color. Stock white head. Very mild haze that fades with warming.

F- Crisp almost sharp flavor that reminds me of a pilsner. Firm bitterness that seems a little out of line for the amount of body present.

M- High average carbonation.

O- A cool idea and a nice drinking beer. There's not too much that jumps out at me in the beer, but I do love the idea that it is from their hops and their malt. Keep it up guys!

onewetpaw, Mar 06, 2012
3.33/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours an attractive, if typical, clear amber with a very thick, fluffy, and rather persistent white head. Aroma is malty, yeasty and a little fruity, and not particularly strong. Malty flavor has a bitter, slightly tinny overtone and a hint of fruit Texture is smooth and has average body but not much fizz. Not one of Rogue’s better efforts, but still palatable.

Cyberkedi, Mar 04, 2012

mmmIPAs, Mar 01, 2012

Vylo, Feb 28, 2012

jrdsvtk, Feb 21, 2012

Tyrawlings, Feb 11, 2012

LJWalker, Feb 08, 2012
3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

Picked this up at the local bottle shop for 30% off. The appearance is a light cloudy gold in color, with a thick white head. The smell is a nice fresh hop aroma. Slight spiciness. The flavor continues in that vein, but adds a subtle sweetness, and the spice now tastes more like a pepper/rye. The mouthfeel is fine, if slightly cloying. Overall a nice blonde ale, and certainly one of the better blonds I have had.

enfield249, Feb 05, 2012

mcorwin, Feb 04, 2012
1.63/5  rDev -55.2%

Appearance - uncaps with a major rush of air. Pouring into a DinkelAcker half-litre, I am greeted with eight to nine fingers of rocky off-white foam. With some patience I am getting the beer into the glass, but I can't help thinking that this may be a waste of time. As the beer goes, it has a coppery honeyed color, some haze to it. Nice-enough looking but these foamers usually are a bad sign.

Aroma - a bit funky but rather non-descript.

Taste - somne of the lower rated reviews state this as very bitter and astringent. That with the runaway head, I have a feeling the bottle is infected. It has that classic acrid, dry and bitter taste. Against my better judgment I take a healthy pull from the glass anyway (hey there's no pathogens in beer, right?), and I am rewarded with the faintest hint of fruitiness/hoppiness in the back but this is very dry, sharp, and unpleasant to me otherwise, and way gassy. I can taste parts of the beer that I think I'd like, but this bomber is a goner.

Mouthfeel - uber-crisp of course, the body has a medium feel and a layer of smoothness that I like.

Drinkability - probably pretty good with an intact bottle. I can't totally bottom out the score, I'm still nipping at the beer as I type, maybe got a third of it down, but I am always disappointed with infected bottles as I can't always find another sample easily. I'll keep my eyes open for this one though and give it another shot.

brewdlyhooked13, Jan 30, 2012

grubefresh, Jan 28, 2012

PhineasGage, Jan 27, 2012
3.78/5  rDev +3.8%

A: A hazy pale straw color with a thick white head that sticks to the glass.

S: Soft biscuit malts with a grassy and citrus hop aroma.

T: The citrus hops really come through up front and continue through the finish. The malt in the background is nice and subtle and sweet and provides a good backbone for the hop. Finish is a little bitter.

M: Soft and smooth with a light body.

O: A very good Blond ale. Nice hop flavor in this beer.

Kromes, Jan 22, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

A- Brilliantly clear(bottle conditioned, pour carefully) golden body with lots of carbonation. Fluffy sticky off white head.

A- Mild sweet earthy malt. Slight sweet notes of bread. Light hop notes.

T- Sweet malt with a light hop bite, but not overly bitter. Finishes with a slightly bitter aftertaste.

M- Sweet smooth crisp medium body. Moderately high carbonation.

D- A cool idea, probably not worth the price. It's a tasty brew, but not great for the price.

gpogo, Jan 20, 2012
2.7/5  rDev -25.8%

WTF!? I figured by the name "Single Malt" that this would be a malty brew, but I was surprised again.

This is a hazy gold color. Definatley unfiltered.

This is one of the best smelling beers I have come across. It is super cleansing. It's like a palate cleanser for your nose. I smell a garden full of flowers, pizza dough, and environmentally friendly cleaning fluid (because it is a friendly cleaner smell). The hop aroma is tremendously on the floral side, I have smelled candles that smell like this.

Oh no, then the taste is like, Hops Hops Hops, Hops hops. I get no malt, damn it. The name is misleading. I get pine and water with bunches of hop oils in it. America needs to calm down with the hop obsession. Really dry taste, and a hint of grapefruit juice. I have a hard time identifying flavors in overly hopped beers.

It feels like Sprite with all sugar and syrupy sensations removed and replaced with grass.

Sorry Rogue, this one isn't doin' it for me.

Doppelbockulus, Jan 20, 2012