Rogue Farms Single Malt Ale - Rogue Ales

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Blonde Ale |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: jsh420 on 03-13-2010)
4.38/5  rDev +20%

Impressive head--if this is a single malt, I'm surprised there isn't a touch of wheat in the beer. Recedes slowly leaving some spotty lace on the glass. The liquid is a dirty yellow.

Well balanced aroma of soft malt and mild hop.

This is a hoppy Blonde. It is crisp and quite refreshing, yet it is full-bodied. There is less malt flavor than I'd expect. With only one malt, one hop and one yeast, this is a stunningly complex beer. It goes to show you what can be done when brewing is kept simple. Excellent raw hop aftertaste.

What can I say, I am something of a sucker for gimmicky offerings, but I think this is a special beer.

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

A solid, but not overly aggressive pour into my 25cl tulip glass still produces four-fingers of lightly tanned froth that leaves a touch of lacing on the sides of my glass. The beer is a bright, dark copper / red color that shows a brilliantly clear, red-stained, copper hue when held up to the light. The aroma smells of grapefruit zest and a hint of pine (much like Cascade hops), but finishes with a touch of soapy malt and grassy grain. The hop notes seem to have a touch of juniper to it at times, but the nose on this is fairly clean and perhaps a touch simplistic, but certainly enjoyable.

Again a Cascade hop like flavor is found here in my first sip. The beer is a touch warmer than cool and has a bit of a fizzy texture to it, but has a lightish body overall and is fairly quaffable. The finish has a light'ish, but still slightly biting, smooth bitterness to it and there is also a touch of menthol and pine like hop flavors mixed in that linger on the tongue as well. A touch of menthol adds some interest and there is a fair amount of biscuit like malt character underlying the more dominant hop character. More specifically the dominant character here is definitely the fruit hop character; it is most like Cascade, but does have a few more touches of lychee and perhaps some tangelo notes that Cascade doesn't have and it is quite a bit smoother without the cattiness that Cascade often has.

A fairly simple beer in some respects, but this is actually a very nice drinking Pale Ale. I almost wish it was a bit bigger so that I could better zero in on the Dare(TM) Malt and the Revolution hops. I could see myself enjoying quite a few pints of this brew. My biggest gripe is that it is a bit over-carbonated, but luckily a few swirls of my glass can get rid of the excess carbonation.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

Love, love, love my local bottle shop! Man, but those guys get various and sundry and they will call me to make a stop-in! They brag about me to their distro and act like I'm a king when I hit the joint. This was one of the first Firsts and I'm getting anxious ...

From the bottle: "Dedicated to Farmers and Fermenters"; "GYO is Rogue Ales term for Grow Your Own. We made this beer with our own hops and barley"; "Malty aroma, deep golden in color with a dense creamy head. Medium bodied with a lush rich maltiness from the Dare (TM) malt."

I spied, with my little eye, a good bit of sediment, so my pour was as gentle as it would be for my baby doll's skin. Color was a deep orangish-amber. BUPGOO! No head, thanks to the gentle pour. Nose smelled oddly familiar - it was the characteristic Rogue hop strain, underlain by the malty sweetness. Wow! I have noticed this in their beers before (a certain commonality), but to have it appear in a home-grown form is just impressive. It had a very bready, toasty malt flavor initially on the tongue, but also an earthy, grassy (Saaz?) hops flavor underneath. Finish was very dry, just the way I prefer my beers. Best Blonde I've had in a while!

On-tap at the brewery in Newport, OR.

Pours a very pale yellow hue: very mild and light. Head is very frothy and egg white; it leaves firm rings of lace down the glass. Carbonation is streaming, but quite mild. Not bad all up.

Nose is very, very light and very, very dull. Some maltiness comes through along with a very faint hint of lemon, but it's not exciting or bold, and doesn't really give me anything insight into the malt itself.

Pale light entry on the palate, with a clean but empty mid-palate. There's a touch of bitterness on the finish, along with some husky grain. It's not unpleasant, it's just, well, not there. Feel is extremely weak. Almost watery.

I don't have a lot to say about this beer, because this beer doesn't have a lot to say about itself. Single malt? Is that interesting? Certainly not this one.

3.25/5  rDev -11%

Rogue First Growth Single Malt (dare)

Bright amber body, on the lighter side of the spectrum. Caramel and floral hops in the aroma. The flavor is pretty one dimensional, a weak, nutty roasted malt flavor and a bit tart. Hopped to the point of decent balance, but theres not a whole lot there, the typical sour Pacman yeast Rogue insists on using is here at work. Bland, eh, maybe the barley needs a year or two to get firmly rooted before the flavor comes in strong.

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

I like the idea behind this one. Simple and local ingredients. Being from the NW, this beer should be a bit more hoppy than a normal blonde.

Pours a bit hazy golden, glowing body. Head is huge, I would say this is due to carbonation, but it's quite sticky.
Aroma is a bit of citrus, some herbal spice, a good amount of dry biscuit and some wet corn. Doesn't quite do it for me, but not bad.

More citrus and biscuit in the taste, corn is gone, thankfully. Some light spice. Carbonation and hops make this one fairly dry, and not quite as light or clean as normal. This would be nice on a hot day, but probably only one. It is well hopped.

4.05/5  rDev +11%

22oz bottle purchased somewhere local in MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 1/2" off-white head over the clear golden amber brew. Head fades gradually, with leggy small-bubbled lace. Aroma is sedate but balanced.

Taste is lightly sweet to start, lemony in the middle, with a Saaz-like crisp hoppy close that lingers. Mouthfeel is quite smooth, and drinkability is very nice as well. Good brew, and admirable concept.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: A monstrous marshmellow head quickly evolves upon the pour standing a proud and firm 3 fingers high in my standard pint glass. Sturdy, it slowly lapses, first around the edges invoking a "devils tower" structure standing in the middle. The coloring was a orange-cream with a medium sense of haze, while an initial vibrant carbonation of feverish macro-bubbles race upwards in a fairly dense state. Soon thereafter things quite down carbonation wise to a slow putter of random bubbles with no where to go in a hurry, much like an old women on a Sunday drive. The lacing was spongey, of broken concentric circles running down the glass providing good coverage. Substantial pours produced a dense head that looked like whipped cream. Overall I really enjoyed the appearance, that of an honest grain base minus specialty influences, the haze, and the long lasting dense creamy head that gave me plenty of time to both write/review and still appreciate the visual aspect long after I was done.

S: Softy musky lemons break out against a nice backing of slightly wet barley grains. I'm not totally sure about their homegrown "Revoluiton" hops but think they kinda remind me a bit of Amarillo. Delivery is moderate in strength.

T: The initial flavor seemed a bit thin at first substance wise. A good bite of wet and tart lemony hops moves in that turns slightly bitter on the finish. I liked the fact they kept their beer honest with minimal ingredients that were homegrown, though it didn't necessarily translate into a well composed or complex flavor. The single grain and hops both grown on premise is a great marketing idea, I just wished they utilized the preparation a bit more. A lemony tart flowery hopping, a bit more then usual per style moves in for the kill and close leaving a gentle reminder of pollen like coating on the tongue after the swallow.

M: Medium bodied at the start, but seemingly loosens up and becomes lighter and washy on long holds. Slippery texture with hardly a mention of carbonation, A warming of room temp lemons and dry flowery hops is detected on the tongue and inner cheeks .

D: Overall like I mentioned earlier, a great marketing ploy, but doesn't necessarily translates into a great beer, Overall decent per style but a bomber is the limit of my interest and wouldn't care for this in six pack. A tart lemony blonde that somehow didn't quench my thirst. Besides the appearance this was only slightly better then average all around.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Picked this up at the COOP today.... thick foamy white head... great lacing... the brew is hazy lite golden..

Nose is mainly bready/biscuity pale malts with something in the hops that make me think lemon oil.... clean ... no yeasty esters or phenols.

Again... the biscuity malty essence is pretty pleasant... bit of citric tang... very good for a style I normally don't appreciate... medium body and an abundant small bubble carbonation..

Not alot else to say... it really does highlite the ingredients... good, but I doubt I will buy again.

4.5/4/3.5/4/4

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Blond with a nice white head, good retention & lace.

Big American hop aroma, plenty of depth and not the usual suspects.

Taste is very hop-forward, with a hint of sweet grainy biscuit under the Rogue (TM) bitterness.

Mouthfeel is light to moderate with hints of hop acidity.

A really good drinker. It's almost like they made the Brutal Bitter a 'lite' beer. I like it.

2.98/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: light golden-orange color with 2+ fingers of ivory foam. Not bad; it looks a bit orange for a blonde ale, in my opinion.

Smell: sweet, grainy malt with a light dose of citrusy hops. There's also a kind of bizarre off-odor in my beer which I can only describe as rubbery. Could it be funky hops? It's hard for me to tell; a nice, mild aroma, but for the rubber. Call it OK.

Taste: grainy, dry malt flavor with some citrusy hops. Bitterness is somewhat strong for the style. I'm getting a little bit of the rubber, but not as much as in the aroma. Truth be told, I'm not crazy about this beer, but it's not objectively a "bad" beer.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a nice level of carbonation for the style.

Drinkability: I'm just not into Rogue's first foray into the chateau-beer world. This beer is awfully rough around the edges, and my guess would be that this is due to the hops. I just don't think this variety is well-suited to a single-variety beer.

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

Bottle purchased from Green's on Ponce in Atlanta.

Pours a very hazy light copper color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of pale malt and faint floral and leafy hops.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Muted pale malt flavors with hints of breadiness kick things off. Leafy and mildly citric hop flavors join in shortly thereafter, carrying throuhg to a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without a problem and could have another.

Overall I definitely think this was more of an APA than an American Blonde. Either way it's a very understated beer, certainly not bad but also not worth seeking out.

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a mild-blonde color with a one-finger head into my pint glass. Looks interesting already.

Aroma is full of sweet, buttery malt and a hint of grassy hops. Blonde ale? You gotta be kidding me.

Taste is full of grassy hops that seem to dominate a bit, followed by light, buttery malt underneath.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering hop bitterness. Hops take over palate. Very nice.

Certainly not a blonde ale in my opinion. Delicious and worth the price. You can't go wrong.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

A light hazy golden pour, 2 finger head of foam, some lacing.

It smells like a typical adjunct lager...some sweetish malty notes with some grain, light hoppy notes.

The taste is better than the smell. Nice malty notes paired with a spicy Pilsner-like hoppy profile, it has a nice dryness that finishes crisp and clean. Without looking up what this was brewed as, or looking at the label, I would have guessed this to be a Pils.

An interesting brew that's an easy quaffer and has some good taste to it, I like it. Probably more than most. ;^)

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%

For the record, This is not a Blonde ale. If anything its more like an English pale ale or an American amber ale. Definetly not Blonde by any sight or taste.

A straight up pour shows a copper and gold ochre color. Nice three finger sponge of bone white hea that recedes to a nice film o' foam. Hardly any visible bubbling.

Simple weed wacker cut, wet grass on top of fresh fallen orange bitterness with toastd nwhite bread fresh from the toaster. Simple yet happy aroma.

The taste is pretty simple, like the ingredients. Fresh toasted bread an biscuits with a mild orange hop bitterness and a little wet grass. Thats about it.

Dry pop rock palate upfront, but a gypsum and resin dry palate i the finish.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a golden yellow color and a cloudy texture. There was an inch of creamy, somewhat long-lasting head. OK lacing.

S: A nice aroma of hops, malt, and a bready quality.

T: Tasted of malt, a little citrus, malt, and a slight biscuit component as well. Much more complex and vibrant than most blonde ales out there.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a smooth finish. Light-bodied.

O: While this beer won't win a whole lot of prizes for complexity, it is likable and easy to drink.

2.35/5  rDev -35.6%

A: poured into a tulip which was golden yellow in color with one finger head and good lacing that stuck to the glass.

S: absolutely no hop character to this one, lost ao malt for sure with some bready notes coming through.

T: like the smell it has lots of malts and a bready taste to it.

M: this is light to medium body with very little carbonation. seems like it has sat around for awhile.

D: not impressed with this one, very basic flavors not complex at all. Dissapointed cause rogue makes some decent beers.

Rogue Farms Single Malt Ale from Rogue Ales