Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Shakespeare Oatmeal StoutShakespeare Oatmeal Stout

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,568 | Hads: 3,241

22 oz. bomber bottle.
Appearance: Classic stout black. Thick, creamy, brown head. Finely bubbled and hangs in there. Nice lace. Gorgeous.
Smell: Licorace, smoke, hops (hoppier than most), espresso, molasses, even raisin. Not as earthy as other examples.
Taste: Beautiful balance of hops and malt. Coffee, bitter chocolate, Smoked/roasted malt, plum, raisin add a sweet balance. Dry, bitter hop/roast finish.
Mouthfeel: Creamy, silky, soothing alcohol warmth.
Drinkability: This is a favorite...I try to always have one in the fridge.
For me, this simply is stout.

Exceptional pretty much sums up this fave stout of mine.Reminds me of a Sierra Nevada stout kicked up a couple o' notches. Roasty, chocolaty & chewy...I think you could stand a spoon on end in this one! Can Rogue do no wrong I ask?

Rogue Shakespeare stout.

A= pours a pitch black hue with a light brown head and leaves faint lacing behind.

S= smells of oats and spices and a hint of coffee.

T= tastes like a average stout in the beginning,
it has a nice bitterness with a chocolate coffee finnish.

MF= has a smooth tingling mouth feel. perfectly carbonated.

this is the second stout ive had from rogue and its better than the chocolate stout, i actually think its better than samuel smiths imperial stout.

enjoy cheers!

If you love Stout, you have to love this one....the Irish should be ashamed and turn to Portland, Oregon to satisfy their love for a style that their own breweries have long forgotten how to make. Both the Shakespeare and it's seasonal variant Wild Irish Rogue are stunning examples of what you can do with dark roasted malts and a love of the brewing art.

Poured from 22oz bottle into imperial pint glass (I've had this cellared for 3 years).
A: Very dark brew with creamy roasted brown head. Minimal carbonation.
S: You want to inhale this the entire day...oh, yeah...and drink it too. Perfectly roasted malts, cream, dark chocolate, molasses...everything that's dark and good.
T: The smoothest stout I've ever come across...almost like a thick, dark milk/cream stout. So creamy, smooth and dark...and the balance of malt and hop is spot-on perfect. Slight hop bite and dryness at the end keeps you coming back for more. Perfection.
M: Smooth defined. Like dark creamy silk on the tongue. Unbelievable. Lingers nicely with aftertaste reflecting intial taste.
D: Extraordinarily drinkable. Stouts are one of my favorite styles and this tops them all...I certainly believe the World Champion boast on the bottle. I could literally drink this all day long.

Opeque black look with a creamy thick brown head. In tense cocoa and sweet nose. Big flavorful initial taste of smooth roasted malt then a big blast of expresso and bitter dark chocolate. The finish is rounded with bitterness. There is also a slight alcohol dryness to the tongue.

I know there is no such thing as the "perfect beer", but if you compare this beer to other stouts you have had... it will be "the stout". Conplex, refined, and proof that an American Craft Brewery can produce a world class stout. I finally know now why this style is called "stout"... it stands on solid foundations. Yummmmmm!

Pours black with brown highlights, looks like molasses when being poured. Cappucino colored head that starts out big and settles into a thin sheet with wispy lacing. Aroma is of hops and chocolate malt. Very creamy and chewy mouthfeel. Flavors of chocolate, some roasted malt, coffee, and hops. Perfectly balanced, I did not find this to be too bitter, more of a roasted or bitter chocolate than a predominating hop bitterness. Finishes nicely with a tingle on the tounge and coffee aftertaste. Absolutely delicious, and amazingly easy to drink. Glad I picked this one as my birthday brew. Simply amazing.

Pours blacker than night and has a chocolaty tan head that stays until the beer is gone. This beer is so good it almost makes me speechless. I have waited too long to try this wonderful beer. It is smooth and velvety in all aspects and is for sure the king of American stouts. I am in love.

Grabbed a 22oz. bomber from BevMo! Had mine for dessert with some chocolates.

Pours a thick jet black with a thick sponge-like tan head, Awesome foamy lacing, so dark I can't see any carbonation.

Aroma of roasted caramel, chocolate and black coffee. Nice hoppy scent.

Buttery smooth texture. Big flavors of chocolate, and roasted caramel with a nice acidic hoppy bitterness. Leaves a dry tartness like black coffee on the back on the palate.

Perfect stout, great dessert beer. Awesome balance of roasted malts and bitter hops. One of my favorites!

Poured a viscous dark, opaque black with a tan colored head that was thick, leaving behind quite a bit of lacing. Large, intense bubbles cover the surface, even after the head dissipates. Aromas of dark chocolate, roasted malt, smoke, dry sherry, and black coffee; just wonderful. Refreshingly smooth with dark chocolate flavors that start off subtle but grow more intense as the beer warms. The sweetness of the beer is never overpowering or all-encompasing. Hints of smoke and burnt sugar are just wonderful, adding great depth and flavor. Creamy and textured in my mouth, this beer has a dry and bitter finish, very much dominated by coffee/expresso flavors. All together, this beer works on every level and is a joy to drink. Try pairing this with gourmet dark chocolates or cheesake...just incredible!

I think I had to grow to love this beer. And, three years later, I feel completely confident revising my 4.3 to a perfect 5. The beer is exactly the same as it's always been, but I'm a better man.

Shakespeare Stout is the first growth Bordeaux of beer. Its lush fudgy taste balanced by the best use of Cascade hops in the U.S. Yes, better than any I.P.A.

The bitter citrus is a wondrous foil for the chocolate. And it adds edge to the otherwise creamy texture. Yeah, the Brits would have just left it creamy--maybe relying on a bit of minerality from their water to balance it. Rogue don't need no mineral. They've got hops. And I'll take delicate hops over limestone any day.

Looking back on my experience with beer over the past several years and drinking this today, I realized my proudest moment was probably when I tried to clone this--and it came out exactly the same. For one day, I played tennis with the gods.

Pours a beautiful thick black with a large 3 finger brown head that hangs around leaving a lace down the glass. The smell of the cascade hops and roasted chocolate are evident and smells absolutely delicious. Wow! Great brew with flavors of chocolate roasted malt with the hops balanced superbly and the chocolate hangs around to the end. This beer has a very creamy mouthfeel and leaves your mouth begging for another swallow. Only my second perfect 5 in 100 reviews. I couldn't find anything wrong with it, period! What a way to enter the mug club and I was saving it for that! Cheers!

This is similar to Rogue's more traditional Shakespeare Stout, though I find that the Oatmeal stout his a lighter flavor but maintains the chocolaty aroma.

Come on, it is a stout that makes all others bow to it. One of the best beers, no matter what style , ever brewed and drank in my opinion. Oh yeah....
22 once bottle bought in a 12 pack at a distributor in Pittsburgh, PA (we can not buy beer in supermarkets, gas stations, ect., there are dedicated distributors for beer).

taste - slight chocolate with a overtone of mussels (maybe it is just me)?

appearance - black beauty with fine carbonation that lingers around with an agresive pour into a 20 ounce Guinness glass.

mouthfeel - wants more, smooth and delicious with the carbonation lacing nicely on the glass and the teeth, I suppose.

smell - chocolate, cofffee-ish (a made a new word) excellence that dissapates slowly and enhances the subtle tones of seafood (again, maybe it is me).

drinkability- at $66.00 a case this is a bargain in my mind....Chimay brand can have it's $150.00 a case nose into the air but must look at the kid kicking it in the shins...enjoy

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle. Leaves a two finger espresso foam colored head that recedes to a foam ring at the edges, yet leaves some spotty lacing. Body is almost black, being the darkest possible brown. Beautiful to behold.

Smell - rich, hearty aroma of roasted malt, dark crusted malt bread, chocolate. Some smokiness, and hint of caramel. Mouthwatering.

Taste - exactly as promised by the nose. Palate awash in smoky, roasted malt, malt bread with dark crusts, much chocolate, some caramel. Very rich, very hearty. Smoky, roasted malt lingers on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - very full bodied, chewy, some hop oil slickness (even though hops are not at all present on the palate, or even in the nose ) , and slightly dry at times.

Drinkability - this is excellent. It's very rich, hearty, tasty, and satisfying, and since it's only 6 % abv, it's also entirely sessionable.

P - 22 Oz Nicely printed brown bottle, no freshness date.

A - Dark black with nice creamy deep tan color head 1 to 2 fingers, good retention right til the end, with thin slightly runny lacing. high viscosity rather sticky looking.

S - burnt barley, slight carmel, hints of bakers chocolate.

T - sweetness, bitter hops followed by very burnt malt taste, nice chocolate aftertatse. not as sweet as I expected compared to sam smiths oatmeal stout. appreciative.

M - very pleasing feel, just the right amount of carbonation.

D - would sip these all day or night if they werent $7 a bottle ;)

A classic if there ever was one.
The color is an inky cloak of solemn black.
Head is a thick, crusty, toasted brown. Aroma: supreme example of roast, rich and invigorating, potent and powerful, dry and dreamy, a snootful could rise old Yorick from his grave. Further gleanings give more flavors, of anise, espresso, pepper, chocolate. I could smell this all day and think of nothing better to do!
On first taste, I am transported! Beautiful bitterness, lush malt, titanic texture! Thoroughly magical hop play on the palate, to make old Prospero proud, malt as dark and knotted as King Richard's heart. Every single time I have the pleasure to sip this fine ale, any wintry discontent is made glorious summer anon! I happily suffer a sea-change, into something rich and strange!
I feel like the world's mine oyster...mmmm. oy-sters!
From Shakespeare to Simpson, that's how even the best of beers will tranform us all!
Plainly put, the bard of beers does somehow have that bewitching power o'er me, and I am mezmerized good, as I like it. And when the hurlyburly's done, I am left clamoring for more!
I couldn't change a thing about this perfect potion. Some stouts may be more bold or brash in alcohol or flavor, but none is more perfectly integrated in all it's parts and easily drunk and thoroughly enjoyed. Truly, the stuff dreams are made of!

Last night, seeing this on tap for the very first time, I had no choice but to re-review the first beer I ever awarded a perfect score. Back in the day this was, like, *the* beer; you couldn't think much of yourself as a beer person until you had tried it. And now it's still a big deal, I guess. It's really impressive to see a lower-ABV beer getting an A on this site, especially when it's got over 1200 reviews. Even in this age of the mindless adulation of bigness, people still can't deny Shakespeare its due.

The Nitro pour doesn't detract from the appearance. It's still got a nice, big brown head and it is still as opaque as concept the of death.

Smell rough, burnt, dry, and yet also smooth like milk and sweet like chocolate syrup.

Tastes like a wonderful hybrid of an English dry stout and an American oatmeal, starting with burnt, bitter malt, moving into a long and lingering wave of dark and milk chocolates, and then ending on firm cascade hops that are spicy, dry, and flowery all at once.

Four years later, this is still perfect.

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

Thick and opaque with a dense ring of brown foam forming around the glass. Aroma is of roasted barley and caramel malt sweetness with coffee, chocolate, hop and vanilla notes underneath--very inviting. Flavor is balanced between roastiness, caramel sweetness, dark-chocolatelike bitterness and the underlying bitterness of the hops. Pleasantly bitter and roasty finish with residual sweetness to make the lips and tongue smack. This is one damn good beer! The ultimate beer drinker's beer.

In my opinion, no other stout in the world compares as far as I have tasted. This is the best stout I have tasted, bar none. Get some now!

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a mug.
A - Opaque black with thick, creamy tan head that lasted a long while.
S - Smells of malt,chocolate,coffee and hops
T - Unbelievable taste! Malty chocolate,oats and coffee surprisingly well balanced with the Cascade hops.
M - Full, thick mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation.
D - This is one of the best tasting stouts I've had the pleasure of drinking.

A : Poured a dark brown with an incredibly creamy tan head. Lots of lacing

S : Roasted malts, coffee, chocolate

T : Good creamy flavor that's just full of roasted malts. Good coffee flavor in there also. A nice bitter chocolate on the finish to round things out

M : Creamy, full-bodied

D : A great stout on nitro. One of the easiest drinking ones I have ever had.

4.95/5  rDev +19%

22oz bomber, Rogue Shakespeare Stout.

Deep black color, can't see through the light. Beautiful creamy tan head, lacing looks awesome on the glass.

Tons of roasted malts in the nose, coffee, some dark chocolate, some dark fruit, a little nutty. Smell very delicious!!!

Strong roasted malts up front... Coffee, dark chocolate, some nutty and little burnt caramel. Hops blend in very well, earthly, slight floral. I get some dark fruit, dried prune mostly. There's some smoked mesquite in the middle. Finish off very smooth with nice roasted aftertaste that lingers very nice. Body is very creamy.

Extremely high. Probably the most smoothest stout I've ever drank, you can't go wrong with this brew!!

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

My very first review and what a beer to start with!

Served out of the 22oz bottle. Who doesn't love the Rogue bottles?

Appearance. Great head retention. Thick and tan crown of small bubbles sitting on top of black liquid. I am liking it already.

Smell. It took me a long time to pick this aroma apart. Wood smoke. Light ash. Coffee. Oak. Dark cocoa. The more I kept smelling the more I was able to pick up. This is complex and worth taking your time with. One young lady with us said "I smells like my perverted uncle in his pipe coat." For some reason I couldn't help but agree with her.

Taste. I taste hints of lightly smoked food but not at all overpowering....only hints. Pipe tabacco. Espresso comes out more in the taste than the smell. Lingering, tasty, powerful aftertaste. Complex and well balanced which says something given the multitude of tastes. I swear I am getting bacon, too.

Mouthfeel. Thick. Carbonation comes alive.

Overall. This is a mistress in a bottle. This beer went into my all time top ten list as soon as I tried it and is hands down the best stout I have had. Take your time with this one. Don't be the perverted uncle, though. That was kind of creepy.

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

This is one of my favorite stouts in the world. Beautiful black pour with a 1 finger head that sticks aroud for awhile. This beer looks like someone smeared carbonated milk chocolate on your beer, just a gorgeous head.

The nose is all over the chocolate spectrum, just outstanding. I honestly believe you could trick people with a sweet tooth into trying this just based on the smell.

This is what a stout should taste like. great mouthfeel, not too carbonated but not watery, just perfect. Nice roasted malt with chocolate dominate the falors in this classic.

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

650 ml bottle poured in a pint glass.

Absolutely ebony black in colour letting no light through. Head foams up greatly at the pour, then settles down to a nice 1/4 inch thick medium brown with some big rocky bubbles.

The smell is complex and layered. Roasted malt dominates with tones of bitter chocolate, dried fruit and even subtle hops.

Time for a taste and... whoa... WHOA! Hold on to your horses cause my tastebuds are in for an all out barrage. A whole wave of flavours crashes upon the tongue almost overloading the taste senses. Roasted malts dominate with a slightly burnt, yet slightly sweet undertone. There is more here in the flavour than I could possibly hope to keep up with let alone put to words. Hops rise to the surface to keep things balanced out. Man is this smooth and creamy. The aftertaste is bitter, yet not overly so, and long lasting.

The mouthfeel is thick and creamy with subtle carbonation.

This is truly an amazing stout. The smooth, luscious taste gives evidence to an oatmeal character. Simply the best stout I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. I believe no beer is perfect, so if I have to pick any weakness, the bitter finish lowers the drinkability slightly, but only marginally so.

Bless you Rogue Ales for creating this fantastic brew!

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales