Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,564 | Hads: 3,220

I think I had to grow to love this beer. And, three years later, I feel completely confident revising my 4.3 to a perfect 5. The beer is exactly the same as it's always been, but I'm a better man.

Shakespeare Stout is the first growth Bordeaux of beer. Its lush fudgy taste balanced by the best use of Cascade hops in the U.S. Yes, better than any I.P.A.

The bitter citrus is a wondrous foil for the chocolate. And it adds edge to the otherwise creamy texture. Yeah, the Brits would have just left it creamy--maybe relying on a bit of minerality from their water to balance it. Rogue don't need no mineral. They've got hops. And I'll take delicate hops over limestone any day.

Looking back on my experience with beer over the past several years and drinking this today, I realized my proudest moment was probably when I tried to clone this--and it came out exactly the same. For one day, I played tennis with the gods. (928 characters)

Pours a beautiful thick black with a large 3 finger brown head that hangs around leaving a lace down the glass. The smell of the cascade hops and roasted chocolate are evident and smells absolutely delicious. Wow! Great brew with flavors of chocolate roasted malt with the hops balanced superbly and the chocolate hangs around to the end. This beer has a very creamy mouthfeel and leaves your mouth begging for another swallow. Only my second perfect 5 in 100 reviews. I couldn't find anything wrong with it, period! What a way to enter the mug club and I was saving it for that! Cheers! (595 characters)

This is similar to Rogue's more traditional Shakespeare Stout, though I find that the Oatmeal stout his a lighter flavor but maintains the chocolaty aroma. (155 characters)

Come on, it is a stout that makes all others bow to it. One of the best beers, no matter what style , ever brewed and drank in my opinion. Oh yeah....
22 once bottle bought in a 12 pack at a distributor in Pittsburgh, PA (we can not buy beer in supermarkets, gas stations, ect., there are dedicated distributors for beer).

taste - slight chocolate with a overtone of mussels (maybe it is just me)?

appearance - black beauty with fine carbonation that lingers around with an agresive pour into a 20 ounce Guinness glass.

mouthfeel - wants more, smooth and delicious with the carbonation lacing nicely on the glass and the teeth, I suppose.

smell - chocolate, cofffee-ish (a made a new word) excellence that dissapates slowly and enhances the subtle tones of seafood (again, maybe it is me).

drinkability- at $66.00 a case this is a bargain in my mind....Chimay brand can have it's $150.00 a case nose into the air but must look at the kid kicking it in the shins...enjoy (974 characters)

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle. Leaves a two finger espresso foam colored head that recedes to a foam ring at the edges, yet leaves some spotty lacing. Body is almost black, being the darkest possible brown. Beautiful to behold.

Smell - rich, hearty aroma of roasted malt, dark crusted malt bread, chocolate. Some smokiness, and hint of caramel. Mouthwatering.

Taste - exactly as promised by the nose. Palate awash in smoky, roasted malt, malt bread with dark crusts, much chocolate, some caramel. Very rich, very hearty. Smoky, roasted malt lingers on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - very full bodied, chewy, some hop oil slickness (even though hops are not at all present on the palate, or even in the nose ) , and slightly dry at times.

Drinkability - this is excellent. It's very rich, hearty, tasty, and satisfying, and since it's only 6 % abv, it's also entirely sessionable. (886 characters)

P - 22 Oz Nicely printed brown bottle, no freshness date.

A - Dark black with nice creamy deep tan color head 1 to 2 fingers, good retention right til the end, with thin slightly runny lacing. high viscosity rather sticky looking.

S - burnt barley, slight carmel, hints of bakers chocolate.

T - sweetness, bitter hops followed by very burnt malt taste, nice chocolate aftertatse. not as sweet as I expected compared to sam smiths oatmeal stout. appreciative.

M - very pleasing feel, just the right amount of carbonation.

D - would sip these all day or night if they werent $7 a bottle ;) (592 characters)

A classic if there ever was one.
The color is an inky cloak of solemn black.
Head is a thick, crusty, toasted brown. Aroma: supreme example of roast, rich and invigorating, potent and powerful, dry and dreamy, a snootful could rise old Yorick from his grave. Further gleanings give more flavors, of anise, espresso, pepper, chocolate. I could smell this all day and think of nothing better to do!
On first taste, I am transported! Beautiful bitterness, lush malt, titanic texture! Thoroughly magical hop play on the palate, to make old Prospero proud, malt as dark and knotted as King Richard's heart. Every single time I have the pleasure to sip this fine ale, any wintry discontent is made glorious summer anon! I happily suffer a sea-change, into something rich and strange!
I feel like the world's mine oyster...mmmm. oy-sters!
From Shakespeare to Simpson, that's how even the best of beers will tranform us all!
Plainly put, the bard of beers does somehow have that bewitching power o'er me, and I am mezmerized good, as I like it. And when the hurlyburly's done, I am left clamoring for more!
I couldn't change a thing about this perfect potion. Some stouts may be more bold or brash in alcohol or flavor, but none is more perfectly integrated in all it's parts and easily drunk and thoroughly enjoyed. Truly, the stuff dreams are made of! (1,353 characters)

Last night, seeing this on tap for the very first time, I had no choice but to re-review the first beer I ever awarded a perfect score. Back in the day this was, like, *the* beer; you couldn't think much of yourself as a beer person until you had tried it. And now it's still a big deal, I guess. It's really impressive to see a lower-ABV beer getting an A on this site, especially when it's got over 1200 reviews. Even in this age of the mindless adulation of bigness, people still can't deny Shakespeare its due.

The Nitro pour doesn't detract from the appearance. It's still got a nice, big brown head and it is still as opaque as concept the of death.

Smell rough, burnt, dry, and yet also smooth like milk and sweet like chocolate syrup.

Tastes like a wonderful hybrid of an English dry stout and an American oatmeal, starting with burnt, bitter malt, moving into a long and lingering wave of dark and milk chocolates, and then ending on firm cascade hops that are spicy, dry, and flowery all at once.

Four years later, this is still perfect. (1,054 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

Thick and opaque with a dense ring of brown foam forming around the glass. Aroma is of roasted barley and caramel malt sweetness with coffee, chocolate, hop and vanilla notes underneath--very inviting. Flavor is balanced between roastiness, caramel sweetness, dark-chocolatelike bitterness and the underlying bitterness of the hops. Pleasantly bitter and roasty finish with residual sweetness to make the lips and tongue smack. This is one damn good beer! The ultimate beer drinker's beer.

In my opinion, no other stout in the world compares as far as I have tasted. This is the best stout I have tasted, bar none. Get some now! (633 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +19.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a mug.
A - Opaque black with thick, creamy tan head that lasted a long while.
S - Smells of malt,chocolate,coffee and hops
T - Unbelievable taste! Malty chocolate,oats and coffee surprisingly well balanced with the Cascade hops.
M - Full, thick mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation.
D - This is one of the best tasting stouts I've had the pleasure of drinking. (407 characters)

A : Poured a dark brown with an incredibly creamy tan head. Lots of lacing

S : Roasted malts, coffee, chocolate

T : Good creamy flavor that's just full of roasted malts. Good coffee flavor in there also. A nice bitter chocolate on the finish to round things out

M : Creamy, full-bodied

D : A great stout on nitro. One of the easiest drinking ones I have ever had. (367 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +18.7%

22oz bomber, Rogue Shakespeare Stout.

Appearance:
Deep black color, can't see through the light. Beautiful creamy tan head, lacing looks awesome on the glass.

Smell:
Tons of roasted malts in the nose, coffee, some dark chocolate, some dark fruit, a little nutty. Smell very delicious!!!

Taste/Mouthfeel:
Strong roasted malts up front... Coffee, dark chocolate, some nutty and little burnt caramel. Hops blend in very well, earthly, slight floral. I get some dark fruit, dried prune mostly. There's some smoked mesquite in the middle. Finish off very smooth with nice roasted aftertaste that lingers very nice. Body is very creamy.

Drinkability:
Extremely high. Probably the most smoothest stout I've ever drank, you can't go wrong with this brew!! (753 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +18%

My very first review and what a beer to start with!

Served out of the 22oz bottle. Who doesn't love the Rogue bottles?

Appearance. Great head retention. Thick and tan crown of small bubbles sitting on top of black liquid. I am liking it already.

Smell. It took me a long time to pick this aroma apart. Wood smoke. Light ash. Coffee. Oak. Dark cocoa. The more I kept smelling the more I was able to pick up. This is complex and worth taking your time with. One young lady with us said "I smells like my perverted uncle in his pipe coat." For some reason I couldn't help but agree with her.

Taste. I taste hints of lightly smoked food but not at all overpowering....only hints. Pipe tabacco. Espresso comes out more in the taste than the smell. Lingering, tasty, powerful aftertaste. Complex and well balanced which says something given the multitude of tastes. I swear I am getting bacon, too.

Mouthfeel. Thick. Carbonation comes alive.

Overall. This is a mistress in a bottle. This beer went into my all time top ten list as soon as I tried it and is hands down the best stout I have had. Take your time with this one. Don't be the perverted uncle, though. That was kind of creepy. (1,187 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +18%

This is one of my favorite stouts in the world. Beautiful black pour with a 1 finger head that sticks aroud for awhile. This beer looks like someone smeared carbonated milk chocolate on your beer, just a gorgeous head.

The nose is all over the chocolate spectrum, just outstanding. I honestly believe you could trick people with a sweet tooth into trying this just based on the smell.

This is what a stout should taste like. great mouthfeel, not too carbonated but not watery, just perfect. Nice roasted malt with chocolate dominate the falors in this classic. (566 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +17.5%

650 ml bottle poured in a pint glass.

Absolutely ebony black in colour letting no light through. Head foams up greatly at the pour, then settles down to a nice 1/4 inch thick medium brown with some big rocky bubbles.

The smell is complex and layered. Roasted malt dominates with tones of bitter chocolate, dried fruit and even subtle hops.

Time for a taste and... whoa... WHOA! Hold on to your horses cause my tastebuds are in for an all out barrage. A whole wave of flavours crashes upon the tongue almost overloading the taste senses. Roasted malts dominate with a slightly burnt, yet slightly sweet undertone. There is more here in the flavour than I could possibly hope to keep up with let alone put to words. Hops rise to the surface to keep things balanced out. Man is this smooth and creamy. The aftertaste is bitter, yet not overly so, and long lasting.

The mouthfeel is thick and creamy with subtle carbonation.

This is truly an amazing stout. The smooth, luscious taste gives evidence to an oatmeal character. Simply the best stout I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. I believe no beer is perfect, so if I have to pick any weakness, the bitter finish lowers the drinkability slightly, but only marginally so.

Bless you Rogue Ales for creating this fantastic brew! (1,299 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +17.5%

22 ounce bomber. This beer pours out black with a huge dark brown head. The aroma is roasted coffee, caramel, and hops - everything that I like in a stout. This beer has a great roasted flavor. There is also a malty caramel flavor. The most notable aspect of this beer is the hops. There is much more hopiness than in most stouts. The hops and bitter roastiness balance the malt. Mouthfeel is full. This beer is terrific both from the bottle and on tap. Just be sure to let it warm up if it's at refrigerator temp. Nearly perfect. (530 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. Pitch black color, beautiful creamy tan lace. This beer looks oh so inviting.

Smells so rich! Caramely, strongly malty, hint of hops. Can't wait!

Taste is mmm mmm mmm mmm good! Creamy, malty, just like the smell. Slightly sweet at first, and just a bit bitter when those hops kick in, but nothing overpower, and certainly nothing that detracts from the delicious taste.

I love stouts and this is one of my very favorite. I will be drinking this whenever I get the chance. (526 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +17.3%

Probably my favorite Rogue beer. Depending if I have a sweet tooth or not I will platoon this beer with Rogue Chocolate Stout.

The body is heavier thanks to the oatmeal. It smells of complex chocolate and tastes of complex roasted coffee malts and surprising to me lacks the deep chocolate flavor indicated from the aroma.

This beer becomes even more flavorful as it warms. If you like your darks warm, go with this beer, if you prefer cold go with the Rogue Chocolate Stout. I recommend a Snifter glass for my darks, makes the aroma's explode! (546 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +17%

Totally opague during the pour, resulting in a beautiful tall mocha head.

The scent will remind you of all the reasons you love a great stout - the deep, rich coffee & chocolate tones amongst the malt. It is a treat just to smell.

Coffee and oats in the taste with a mellow chocolate finish, followed at the very end by a slight bitterness. Pure pleasure sliding past your tastebuds.

Incredibly smooth and silky. Low to medium carbonation. Smack your lips.

I'm always on a quest for the smoothest, richest stout, and I think I may have just found it in Rogue's Shakespeare Stout. (591 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +17%

Midnight black with one of the darkest heads ever, deep auburn with those even darker last drips from the pour. Really great lace as well, intricate crown-of-thorns patterns. Sweet smell, some whiffs of dehydrated, concentrated strawberry. Darn-near perfect mouthfeel, heavy and rich but not at all syrupy. Chocolate flavors with a hint of vanilla and berry in a very consistent statement. Solid roast and an impressive and distinguishing hop bite to the back flavor. This is a dang OUTSTANDING Stout, just first rate in all categories. Man, it is good. (553 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +17%

There's a story behind this one. Shakespeare Stout is, I believe, the first real 'craft beer' I ever had. Showing my age, the first time I had it was while working in Oregon back in the Winter/Spring of 2000. It was on tap, at some pub in Corvallis and... I hated it. I remember telling friends that I'd had this horrible beer that tasted like dirt and plants, and how nasty it was. Of course, my idea of 'beer' at the time was pretty much Molson Canadian. Period. After this experience, it was several years before I even attempted to drink a beer that wasn't available in every bar in Toronto.

So, while staying at a hotel in Princeton, NJ a few weeks ago, I grabbed a 650 mL bomber of this from a local liquor store. I drank it out of lousy old hotel glasses while watching ridiculously overpriced pay-per-view movies on the TV after a long day of work. And now, I'm about to give this beer that once turned me entirely off anything non-macro the best review I've given any beer on this site. Shows how tastes change, doesn't it?

Anyway, the bomber produced a black beer which looked great even in the hotel glass, with some brownish highlights and a great, thick, long-lasting tan head. Aroma is one of the most appealing of any beer I've had in the last year. Malt, grains, plants, earth, and a bit of chocolate and roasted malt -- the same taste as six years ago, I'm sure, but now I've learned to appreciate it and more.

Taste is just fantastic. The same earthy flavours, oats and grains, chocolate, coffee, some sweet malt and some well-hidden hops. Reminds me a lot of an oatmeal stout, and even though that's not what it's categorized here, I can see from the ingredients list on the label that it includes some oatmeal.

Perfect mouthfeel, and a nice mildly bitter aftertaste that lingers. Very easy to drink.

I wish this were available in Toronto -- the only Rogue I've ever seen up here is the chocolate stout (which is also a fantastic beer).

Anyway, here's to a wonderful brew. And, to proof that my time spent learning about and trying different craft beers was truly worthwhile, since without such an effort I'd never again have tried this beer or most of the others I've enjoyed. (2,215 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +17%

appearance - pours murky black into my imperial pint glass with a thick, coffee-with-cream head. nicely attenuated bubbles. head stays for a while but eventually becomes a thin cap. not much lacing.

smell - chocolate roasty malts with hops, too.

taste - bittersweet chocolate, nice hop bitterness, with aftertaste of dark roasted coffee. hop level is surprising! piney, almost citrusy, but that roasted espresso with burnt chocolate is right there along with it. my, this is beautifully integrated. hoppy burps.

m - medium body, creamy, smooth, somewhat "peppery" if that can be considered a tactile sensation. damn, is it incredibly smooth, though.

d - i don't drink a lot of stouts, but i think this one and brooklyn's black chocolate might turn me into more of a regular. this is incredibly drinkable. a giant, but not so big it scares you. i'd go for this one any grey day.

world class ale, indeed. (917 characters)

Now thats a Stout.
22 oz. Bomber with no freshness label.
Poured ink black with a Thick creamy tan head 2 fingers tall that
hung around for the whole beer.
Smells of dark roast Coffee, Mocha and a hint of dark chocolate.
The taste of this beer is simply awsome. The roasted malt gives a
coffee/dark chocolate taste and is helped out by the slight hops
dryness as it finishes.It leaves a smokey toffee taste in your mouth.
I'd say of the stouts that I have had the pleaure of drinking, this one
tops them all. Done right the first time.
I will be buying more of this wonderfull liquid in the near future. (616 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +17%

I enjoyed my first Shakespeare Stout this evening, and it was killer! Comparing the texture of this to motor oil is not exaggerating at all. Pitch black, moderate tan head. As for the taste, it was a pretty complex mix of smokey coffee and chocolate with a great hoppy bite that is prevalent but not overpowering.

For some reason, the flavor of this really reminds me of being at the beach on a cold day and has almost a saltwater quality to it, and I mean that as a compliment. This was one of the best beers I've had to date. Not quite as good as Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout, but better than Storm King. (607 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +17%

Exccelent from start to finish!
IT sat hevy in the glass and look liked mud.
The head was tastey with a rich tan color.
It was a dark and thick body, flavor in every sip.
Its after taste was filling and a littel warming.

Great Showing Rouge

I must stop now and get another. (298 characters)

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales