Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,574 | Hads: 3,268
3.55/5  rDev -14.7%

Several of my friends swear by this beer; me, not so much. It's good, but it is too low in ABV and a bit too tame for me. I would take, say, a Lion Stout over this 100% of the time. Then again, Lion is no slouch, so my complaint is actually a compliment.

A – It pours nice and dark, but not black, with decent head and moderate retention.

S – Roasty. That is the main olfactory sensation. Burnt cocoa, dark roast coffee, charred grain and a bit of a malty sweetness to tie it all together.

T – The taste is roasty and stout, perfectly average. Forgive my lack of superlative and whimsy, but it is just a bit of a fence-sitter of a beer. It tastes quite good, but given the obvious quality, it seems just a risky tweak for something stunning, which it is not.

M – The feel is thinner, but viscous enough to overcome it.

D – As I said, good but not great.

3.55/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours rich dark milky brown with near brown head, good retention with large stable bubbles, heavy lacing..dark dark dark.

Aroma heavy on malt, chocolate, with a smoky background and light alcohol presense.

Smoky malt profile, medium bitterness that increases in the finish. Rich but not overly sweet. Creamy mouthfeel verging on chunky, like drinking coffee with the grounds left in.

Overall too rich for continuous consumption. Maybe a tad heavy for my taste. Tasty, but not as complex as I was expecting.

3.55/5  rDev -14.7%

Bomber bottle, poured into a pint glass. Thick black color, lets no light through. A fluffy cafe au lait head emerges and disapates rather quickly, with no lacing, but a small ring around the top.

Aroma shows roasted barley, burnt espresso, and a hint of chocolate. Flavor is very similar, VERY roasty, tones of dark roasted coffee, even a slight hint of smoke.

Mouthfeel for me is kinda bad. Feels way over carbonated for the style, and feels a bit astringent.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: Poured from a 22oz brown bottle into a tall, thin, mug. Bottle states "ebony in color with a rich, creamy head, an earthy flavor that comes from oats and a mellow chocolate aftertaste." 15 degrees pPlato, 69 IBU, 77AA, 135.48 degrees L.

Appearance: Pours with a 2-3 inch medium to dark tan head. Falls slowly to a thin coat of foam with some lacing. Beer itself is black, nearly opaque.

Smell: Roasted barley is the predominant smell.

Taste: Hop bitterness upfront flavor vice in the finish as usual. Finishes with roasted barley.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation, decent body.

Drinkability: A good, drinkable stout, but not as rich and creamy as many stouts available.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Very black in color with a foamy tan head. As expected, no light visible. It is not as thick and viscous as some other stouts as it pours. The head has good retention and the lacing is nice.

Aroma: Roasted malt is most dominant with a touch of hops. I can smell some chocolate and a bit of fruit. There is not the coffee aromas I was expecting.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with tingly carbonation. Not as thick and creamy as I like and the carbonation is a tad heavy on my tongue.

Taste: The coffee I missed in the aroma is certainly present in the taste, even more so than the chocolate. Of course, the roasted malts is a dominant flavor as well. There is some bitterness, but it is nicely balanced. The flavors are complex, but not particularly strong. The bitterness sets in with the dry finish.

Overall impression: This is good stout, but not in my upper echelon.A

3.53/5  rDev -15.1%

Ebony with a pillowy clay colored head. Near unparalleled lace and retention. Near perfect.

Aroma is dark roast malt with an oaty smooth acidity. Tastes dark and roasty and fairly monotone. Good, but a one trick pony. Body is terribly watery, the Pacman yeast (which I usually like) just doesn't fit with this beer.

Good but unengaging due to lack of depth. The mouthfeel is as hearty as a Hawiian death metal band.

3.53/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured out of a bottle into a pint glass. Pours a nearly black color with minimal lacing.

Smells and tastes exactly like a strong coffee. Unfortunately, that's all it tastes like. I remember this beer being much more complex. But, after having it tonight, I feel as though it's a decent stout, but there are definitely better ones on the market.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Pours with no head and almost black color.

Smell- Nose is very weak but is mildly hoppy.

Taste- Suprisingly bitter, hops definitly take the lead role in the flavor department here, some light burnt flavors on the finish with a hint of overly done coffee. Not awful but not particularly my thing.

Mouthfeel- Decent palate coverage.

Drinkability- An ok brew, I found this one disappointing but Im not a big fan of hopped stouts'.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

VP debate night - I refuse to listen to that sneering, clueless woman, so let's have a beer instead.

A - Fairly strong pour into a pint glass. Creamy-looking head recedes, revealing a passable lace. Body the color of dark-roast coffee.

S - Sasparilla, carob, some roasted coffee, but not really a burnt smell. Mild aromatics but pleasant.

T - Sharp, drying, slightly smoky signature Rogue Pacman yeast character immediately evident. Chocolatey, but only hinted at, not overwhelmingly so at all. Quite assertive Cascade profile at 69 IBU, leaves a very bitter chocolate aftertaste. Some sips, I feel the Cascades fight a bit too much with the smooth, creamy malts, other sips seem more in balance. On the bitter, hoppy end of the style, but nothing wrong with that.

F - Stouts brewed with oatmeal always have a luxurious feel, and this gets the feel pretty well, though it doesn't come off as creamy as it could. I think the hops cut through some of that.

D - At 6%, rich and hoppy, one bomber is plenty. It is a complex example of the style, and bigger than its strength would indicate. Also noted, the bitterness of this stout really stays with you.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark, dark pour with a big handsome brown head. Looks quite delicious. Head settles to a film, gives up a small measure of lace.

Aroma is roast malt, chocolate. Not over powering but distinct.

Strong bitter malt, semi sweet chocolate flavours. Dry, chalky mouthfeel, long lingering bitterness.

Decent beer, quite tasty, but somewhat one dimensional. Worth a try.

3.52/5  rDev -15.4%

Bottle at the Mundelein beer tasting. Pours black with an insubstantial tan head. Nose is dark-roasted malt, probably coffee and chocolate but too light to really discern many individual notes.

Tastes like it smells, only a little stronger. Chocolate is definitely evident, sweet up front with some of those hops they like in Oregon in the finish. Mouthfeel is a bit creamy, light and inoffensive.

THIS is a stout? What I can smell and taste is good, but everything about this beer is just too weak and subdued for me. As nice as it is in theory, I think the 6% ABV is killing the mouthfeel.

On the upside, it's not hard to drink a lot of these. When the Rogue rep was trying to get rid of them at the end of the tasting, I put away my fair share with no problem at all.

But Rogue didn't have to sacrifice flavor and body to make a drinkable stout.

3.52/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Very good pour from a bomber, dark with a nice light amber head. Good smell not too strong like some stouts. Some earthy and coffee tones. Tastes good at first drink, and is smooth with not a lot of alcohol taste. Lacks the creaminess of a great stout. Also like the Rogue Chocolate stout, it almost has an over carbonated feel to it. Probably would not buy again.

3.51/5  rDev -15.6%

A: Could be the blackest beer I've ever seen. Definitely the darkest head I've ever seen--almost a maple color.
S: Stong roasted malt aroma.
T: On a blind taste test, I would almost guess this is a Porter, the roasted malt is so strong. Very astringent in the finish and dry as well. Some chocolate and coffee notes make an appearance, but this thing is roasted, bordering on charred.
M: Great body, very dry finish.
D: A little too roasty for me. It kind of overpowers everything else in the beer.

3.51/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured from a Rogue bomber at a poker game, right after drinking Stone Russian Imperial Stout. The Rogue seemed flavorless after the Stone.

It looked really good (pitch black with dark tan foam) but the aroma and flavor seemed weak. I tasted burnt malt, not strong enough to be offensive. I can't really see why this is highly rated by so many people. I probably won't get it again.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

22 oz bottle.I`ve got to say that I was underwhelmed by this Oatmeal Stout.I have had better Oatmeal stouts that weren't rated near as high as this. Youngs Oatmeal was a lot better. That`s why i have to go with a low rating just wasn`t that good.Too much alcohol up front and not enough flavor.Motley out.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

I wanted to like this more than I did. Malty and bitter. My friend said she picked up chocolate, but I wasn't getting much of it. Maybe a hint of cocoa. I'm not getting the flavours I'd expect from this style. Maybe my taste buds are dead? Definitely no strong flavours. Finish slightly smokey.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

A- Pours nicely, dark black with a one finger mocha head. Very little retention and no lacing.

S- Nothing special about the smell, slight hints of chocolate, mostly a strong burnt barley smell.

T- Very strong burnt barley taste. And I do mean burnt, seems like all the Stouts I've had from Rogue have some burnt barley.

M- Okay mouthfeel, medium body, a little light for a dark beer. Small, almost inconsequential bite at the end.

D- I wasn't impressed with this beer. I don't think I'll try another Rogue beer. Every one I've had has been unimpressive. This is another letdown.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

Typical black dark color of stouts, creamy taste, has an oatmeal smell to it, overall ok. I would say this is a good beer, but for the price I expected more. It's not better than a Guinness, but costs a lot more.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark...well really dark, just like a good stout should. I see a bit of lacing but not much. There's very little smell, could just be me. I do detect sort of a chocolatey smell with some burnt parts. Hmm, the taste is a little different than i was expecting. I'm very used to a heavy taste/texture from oatmeal stouts. This one, however, has a smoother taste noted by an earthy body and a sort of chocolate finish. I knew there was chocolate somewhere in here. A lot less of the actual oatmeal can be tasted in this one. I like the mouthfeel, although, i'm not entirely sure it fits the style, i.e. heavy almost like you ate a loaf of bread. Well, overall, i'm actually a little disappointed. I really was expecting to get a heavier offering like Oatis from Ninakasi or the Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith's (my favorite to date). I still think this one is worth checking out as it highlights differences in the style of the oatmeal stouts..

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

Pint glass pour and I am met with a black ale with a big beige head that stays the entire session. Bitter chocolate aroma with some cocoa whiffs and roasted dark malts. Very bitter taste. I was expecting some sweet rush on the taste or at least the swallow based on the smell but there is none to be had. Black coffee, slight chocolate and malty. Bitter almost sour-like finish. The mouthfeel is too thin for an outmeal stout. Drinkability was ok. The bitter, bitter taste put me off a little. I may have had a bad bottle and therefore the review could be tainted. I recall drinking this fresher and getting a better session. Will look to re-review in the future.

3.49/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The beer comes in a jet black color with a light brown coffee fluffy head.

The aroma has some milk chocolate, a bit of creaminess, a bit of coffee, roasted malt. I don’t really get the oatmeal coming through.

The flavor is quite good for an oatmeal stout. The front has that round malt flavor that oats give this beer. The beer has quite a bit of roast that gives it bitterness, a bit like coffee. The finish has this slight bitter chocolate and roast. It’s almost metallic, earthy, or herbal.

It has pretty big roasted and bitter flavors for a 6.10% ABV stout. It’s less tame than other oatmeal or milk stouts.

The beer doesn’t really have the mouthfeel from oats. I wish there was more sweetness to balance the bitterness out.

3.49/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from the bottle into a standard US tumbler

*side note* This is my first stout besides Guinness, so take this review with a grain of salt

A-This one one of the prettiest beers I've ever seen. Almost completly black with a medium thick brown head. Perfect lacing.

S- Roasted malts are the main scent.

T-Not as sweet as one might expect. The main flavor I got was of roasted malts. The finish is a weird battle; some sips there is a nice burnt chocolate finish, then the next will be very dry and hoppy.

MF-About the same thickness of a standard guinness, possibly thinner.

D-I think this is a nice beer to nurse at the end of a long day, but I can't see myself drinking more than one.

Overall, this is not quite what I was expecting from a craft stout, but that just shows me that there are many things to learn about beer. I look forward to reviewing more very soon.

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

Once again, the aroma was quite cascady (citrus/grapefruit) coupled with the roasty malts. The flavour was, firstly nicely chocolatey and roasty, but i think the hops ruined it too early, i like my stouts more roasty than this, save the hops for a good IPA or something. Quite a shame, because this has some lovely malts, ruined too early by the hops, still a very tasty brew, so i can't really complain.

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a very foamy and medium dark tan head that lasts quite a while. The beer itself is an opaque black. The lacing is a very nice look when it is on the glass.

The beer smell is extremely hoppy for an oatmeal stout. The beer smell has some light chocolate notes and some very strong oat notes that do not create a nice smell with the strong hop notes. The hops seem to dominate all the other notes and kind of ruin the smell. Thee hop smell itself isn't bad but the lack of roastness or chocolate sweetness that normally accompanies the beer style isn't there. Rather, the beer smells like an IPA with some chocolate and roast notes.

The taste follows the nose to a certain extent but has stronger roast and chocolate notes. The hop notes are fairly bitter and block out most of the other notes except for the oats.

The mouthfeel is pretty disappointing for an oatmeal stout. The beer is medium bodied but on the lighter side and feels bit watery. The beer is smooth but not creamy.

Overall, a pretty disappointing oatmeal stout and wondering if I just got a bad bottle. The beer overall smells, feels, and tastes like a malty IPA. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone if they're looking for a good oatmeal stout.

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

I live in California, but oddly enough I never tried it until I was in Maui. That I got this in Hawaii should be taken in to consideration for the review.

Poured a jet black with a creamy tan head which was quick to dissolve to lace.

Heavy punch of coffee and dark chocolate, and a musty smell covers up anything else.

Taste is big dark malts, dark coffee beans, and chocolate. Decent body and moderate carbonation. Oily coffee sticks around on the tongue.

My palette got quickly tired of the espresso coffee, which was out of balance with the chocolates in the stout. I didn't finish the bottle, got bored with it toward the bottom. Underwhelming.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales