2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Shakespeare Oatmeal StoutShakespeare Oatmeal Stout

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,619 | Reviews: 1,516 | Show All Ratings:
ADR

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Midnight black with one of the darkest heads ever, deep auburn with those even darker last drips from the pour. Really great lace as well, intricate crown-of-thorns patterns. Sweet smell, some whiffs of dehydrated, concentrated strawberry. Darn-near perfect mouthfeel, heavy and rich but not at all syrupy. Chocolate flavors with a hint of vanilla and berry in a very consistent statement. Solid roast and an impressive and distinguishing hop bite to the back flavor. This is a dang OUTSTANDING Stout, just first rate in all categories. Man, it is good.

04-17-2002 08:06:34 | More by ADR
HossMcGraw

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

I enjoyed my first Shakespeare Stout this evening, and it was killer! Comparing the texture of this to motor oil is not exaggerating at all. Pitch black, moderate tan head. As for the taste, it was a pretty complex mix of smokey coffee and chocolate with a great hoppy bite that is prevalent but not overpowering.

For some reason, the flavor of this really reminds me of being at the beach on a cold day and has almost a saltwater quality to it, and I mean that as a compliment. This was one of the best beers I've had to date. Not quite as good as Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout, but better than Storm King.

11-04-2002 19:12:34 | More by HossMcGraw
Kwak

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Exccelent from start to finish!
IT sat hevy in the glass and look liked mud.
The head was tastey with a rich tan color.
It was a dark and thick body, flavor in every sip.
Its after taste was filling and a littel warming.

Great Showing Rouge

I must stop now and get another.

11-06-2002 08:18:11 | More by Kwak
jtw5877

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

The only reason I am not rating this a 5, is that I have never rated a beer perfect yet! Pours a deepest darkest brown hue, with a solid tan head. Superb flavors abound, Chocolate is right beside toffee, coffee, and caramel, with enough hops to keep everybody in line, one great beer!

03-28-2003 20:21:51 | More by jtw5877
Rob6852

Louisiana

Now thats a Stout.
22 oz. Bomber with no freshness label.
Poured ink black with a Thick creamy tan head 2 fingers tall that
hung around for the whole beer.
Smells of dark roast Coffee, Mocha and a hint of dark chocolate.
The taste of this beer is simply awsome. The roasted malt gives a
coffee/dark chocolate taste and is helped out by the slight hops
dryness as it finishes.It leaves a smokey toffee taste in your mouth.
I'd say of the stouts that I have had the pleaure of drinking, this one
tops them all. Done right the first time.
I will be buying more of this wonderfull liquid in the near future.

12-21-2003 10:50:59 | More by Rob6852
Olorin

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

I've read a review that described this beer as a " force to be reckoned with ". I would second that motion. Pours very similar to Rogues Choc. Stout. The aroma, initially, is three fold: Hops, Alcohol and Burnt Chocolate in that order. This beer is so intense its difficult to describe. My first drink ( a long draw ) reminds me of two things: Orange and Grapefruit Zest. Once that bitterness subsides - and stay with it because it will pass, you realize that deep roasted, smokey malt smoothness gives balance to the tremendous right hook that is the cascade hops. If the only thing you've ever had is Bud, Coors or Miller you will not ' get ' this beer. There is no brewery out there that does hops like Rogue. There are so many things going on at once with this beer, it's difficult to keep track of it all. It's bitter and smooth, espresso like and hoppy, nutty and smokey and the taste lingers, it really hangs in there. The flavor of this beer is all encompasing. If this beer doesn't move you, nothing will.

Additional note: this beer doesn't reach it's true potential until it has been " cured " for at least 18 months - like sitting in the back of your fridge type cured, preferably for two years. If you don't wait this long, or if you don't find a bottle that is that old, you will have what I refer to as a " green " beer. Believe me when I say this beer will taste primarily like grapefruit peel and not much more if it hasn't been aged for that long. Shakespeare Stout isn't for everyone and certainly not for the faint of heart.

03-07-2005 07:02:46 | More by Olorin
Noxious26

Saskatchewan (Canada)

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

650 ml bottle poured in a pint glass.

Absolutely ebony black in colour letting no light through. Head foams up greatly at the pour, then settles down to a nice 1/4 inch thick medium brown with some big rocky bubbles.

The smell is complex and layered. Roasted malt dominates with tones of bitter chocolate, dried fruit and even subtle hops.

Time for a taste and... whoa... WHOA! Hold on to your horses cause my tastebuds are in for an all out barrage. A whole wave of flavours crashes upon the tongue almost overloading the taste senses. Roasted malts dominate with a slightly burnt, yet slightly sweet undertone. There is more here in the flavour than I could possibly hope to keep up with let alone put to words. Hops rise to the surface to keep things balanced out. Man is this smooth and creamy. The aftertaste is bitter, yet not overly so, and long lasting.

The mouthfeel is thick and creamy with subtle carbonation.

This is truly an amazing stout. The smooth, luscious taste gives evidence to an oatmeal character. Simply the best stout I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. I believe no beer is perfect, so if I have to pick any weakness, the bitter finish lowers the drinkability slightly, but only marginally so.

Bless you Rogue Ales for creating this fantastic brew!

06-13-2005 03:05:25 | More by Noxious26
beveragecaptain

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

22 ounce bomber. This beer pours out black with a huge dark brown head. The aroma is roasted coffee, caramel, and hops - everything that I like in a stout. This beer has a great roasted flavor. There is also a malty caramel flavor. The most notable aspect of this beer is the hops. There is much more hopiness than in most stouts. The hops and bitter roastiness balance the malt. Mouthfeel is full. This beer is terrific both from the bottle and on tap. Just be sure to let it warm up if it's at refrigerator temp. Nearly perfect.

07-03-2005 00:43:17 | More by beveragecaptain
nickss

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Appearance - 5 - Black as night and beautiful. Huge one inch plus tan head, with tons of lacing as it slowly subsides.

Smell - 4.5 - Caramel and mocha, berries and nuts with some gorgeous floral hoppiness in the tail... wonderful.

Taste - 5 - Intensely complex... I love this... much better than I remember it being. Huge coffee and mocha in the front end, a bit of subtle nuttiness and a quick burst of berries in the back.... amazing.

Mouthfeel - 5 - thick, creamy, tongue coating... wow.

Drinkability - 5 - This goes right behind Storm King in my list of favorite brews.... I could drink this all day long and not grow tired of it. Simply incredible.

09-23-2005 19:56:18 | More by nickss
orfeu

New Mexico

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

appearance - pours murky black into my imperial pint glass with a thick, coffee-with-cream head. nicely attenuated bubbles. head stays for a while but eventually becomes a thin cap. not much lacing.

smell - chocolate roasty malts with hops, too.

taste - bittersweet chocolate, nice hop bitterness, with aftertaste of dark roasted coffee. hop level is surprising! piney, almost citrusy, but that roasted espresso with burnt chocolate is right there along with it. my, this is beautifully integrated. hoppy burps.

m - medium body, creamy, smooth, somewhat "peppery" if that can be considered a tactile sensation. damn, is it incredibly smooth, though.

d - i don't drink a lot of stouts, but i think this one and brooklyn's black chocolate might turn me into more of a regular. this is incredibly drinkable. a giant, but not so big it scares you. i'd go for this one any grey day.

world class ale, indeed.

10-13-2005 20:27:11 | More by orfeu
chOAKbarrell

Maryland

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Totally opague during the pour, resulting in a beautiful tall mocha head.

The scent will remind you of all the reasons you love a great stout - the deep, rich coffee & chocolate tones amongst the malt. It is a treat just to smell.

Coffee and oats in the taste with a mellow chocolate finish, followed at the very end by a slight bitterness. Pure pleasure sliding past your tastebuds.

Incredibly smooth and silky. Low to medium carbonation. Smack your lips.

I'm always on a quest for the smoothest, richest stout, and I think I may have just found it in Rogue's Shakespeare Stout.

01-08-2006 22:44:27 | More by chOAKbarrell
mitchfor3

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. Pitch black color, beautiful creamy tan lace. This beer looks oh so inviting.

Smells so rich! Caramely, strongly malty, hint of hops. Can't wait!

Taste is mmm mmm mmm mmm good! Creamy, malty, just like the smell. Slightly sweet at first, and just a bit bitter when those hops kick in, but nothing overpower, and certainly nothing that detracts from the delicious taste.

I love stouts and this is one of my very favorite. I will be drinking this whenever I get the chance.

01-29-2006 03:09:02 | More by mitchfor3
crwills

Ontario (Canada)

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

There's a story behind this one. Shakespeare Stout is, I believe, the first real 'craft beer' I ever had. Showing my age, the first time I had it was while working in Oregon back in the Winter/Spring of 2000. It was on tap, at some pub in Corvallis and... I hated it. I remember telling friends that I'd had this horrible beer that tasted like dirt and plants, and how nasty it was. Of course, my idea of 'beer' at the time was pretty much Molson Canadian. Period. After this experience, it was several years before I even attempted to drink a beer that wasn't available in every bar in Toronto.

So, while staying at a hotel in Princeton, NJ a few weeks ago, I grabbed a 650 mL bomber of this from a local liquor store. I drank it out of lousy old hotel glasses while watching ridiculously overpriced pay-per-view movies on the TV after a long day of work. And now, I'm about to give this beer that once turned me entirely off anything non-macro the best review I've given any beer on this site. Shows how tastes change, doesn't it?

Anyway, the bomber produced a black beer which looked great even in the hotel glass, with some brownish highlights and a great, thick, long-lasting tan head. Aroma is one of the most appealing of any beer I've had in the last year. Malt, grains, plants, earth, and a bit of chocolate and roasted malt -- the same taste as six years ago, I'm sure, but now I've learned to appreciate it and more.

Taste is just fantastic. The same earthy flavours, oats and grains, chocolate, coffee, some sweet malt and some well-hidden hops. Reminds me a lot of an oatmeal stout, and even though that's not what it's categorized here, I can see from the ingredients list on the label that it includes some oatmeal.

Perfect mouthfeel, and a nice mildly bitter aftertaste that lingers. Very easy to drink.

I wish this were available in Toronto -- the only Rogue I've ever seen up here is the chocolate stout (which is also a fantastic beer).

Anyway, here's to a wonderful brew. And, to proof that my time spent learning about and trying different craft beers was truly worthwhile, since without such an effort I'd never again have tried this beer or most of the others I've enjoyed.

03-26-2006 19:19:02 | More by crwills
Adamthome1

Nebraska

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Probably my favorite Rogue beer. Depending if I have a sweet tooth or not I will platoon this beer with Rogue Chocolate Stout.

The body is heavier thanks to the oatmeal. It smells of complex chocolate and tastes of complex roasted coffee malts and surprising to me lacks the deep chocolate flavor indicated from the aroma.

This beer becomes even more flavorful as it warms. If you like your darks warm, go with this beer, if you prefer cold go with the Rogue Chocolate Stout. I recommend a Snifter glass for my darks, makes the aroma's explode!

12-04-2008 00:18:11 | More by Adamthome1
WilliamPhilaPa

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Starts by pouring a nice coffee black with a dark tan / copper head that is very creamy. Notes of roasted malts among other things in the aroma. Roasted malts come upfront on the palate then finishes with nice notes of chocolate in the aftertaste. Very smooth mouth feel.
Every beer that I had from Rogue was great! They have so many great beers!

03-26-2002 18:41:45 | More by WilliamPhilaPa
Viking

Indiana

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

A bomber for breakfast...

This may well be the best stout I've ever tasted. It was as black as a starless midnight with a thick creamy brown head. Interesting, and damn fine, aroma of roasted barley and a bit of citrusy hops. Nice thick, rich stout with an incredible flavor!

04-20-2002 09:00:38 | More by Viking
sponberg

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

I can add little to the consecrating that's been done over this beauty by the reviewers who drank the bottles I wish I now had in front of me.

Rather than the charcoal that Drew noted, I picked up a "cleanness," a difficult to define taste/mouthfeel thing that I've noted most usually in beers from Maine (I know, this one's from the other side of the country) - maybe the water/yeast has something to do with it? "Cleanness" is a quality that allows all of the beers complexities to come through - think about the mouthfeel you get from water from an ice-cold mountain spring. The beer equivalent of a full-range electrostatic speaker.

Whatever. Please, sir, may I have another?

05-11-2002 20:30:59 | More by sponberg
Murph

Arizona

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Pours blacker than black with a very creamy brown head that leaves a nice lace all the way down the glass. Strong chocolate aromas as well as some dark roasted coffee. There is also some nice piney/grapefruity bitter smell to this brew. Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. Tons of chocolate in thsi brew, especially as it warms. Good coffee characteristics as well and only a small amount of perceived bitterness due to the cascades but not very much actual hop taste/flavor. Smooth and chewy mouthfeel that is definitely contributed to by the oats that are added. This is one awesomely drinkable beer and is one of my all time favorites. It is definitely very deserving of it's spot on the top beers.

08-25-2002 10:41:05 | More by Murph
nogoodreason

Missouri

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: Black as night. A nice, one finger, brown head forms and hangs around for a few minutes. After a while, it dissipates down to a very thin covering, and it stays there. Nice lacing down the glass as it goes.

Smell: The hoppiest stout I've ever encountered. The hops scent is strong and tangy. In equal measure with the hops is a wonderful roasted scent. Strong coffee present. Potpourri should smell this good.

Taste: A brief note of cream-like sweetness as it hits the tip of the tongue. Next a rich roasted espresso flavor with strong, bitter hops. The flavor gets more strongly roasted and burnt as it goes down. Lovely, long coffee-like finish. Do I detect a trace of smoke? I do. Oh boy, this tastes good.

Mouthfeel: Plenty thick and highly carbonated. Feels like I think this style of stout should. Not as creamy and smooth as an Irish stout, instead a brash, aggressive force in your mouth.

Drinkability: Honestly, I could drink this all the time. The beautiful, big-ass bitter roasted goodness paired with the big-ass mouthfeel means that some people will have trouble drinking this one. I weep for them.

Final Notes: This might well be my favorite beer. It's unquestionably my favorite dry stout. This beer is unafraid to be big and ruthless. It's good. It’s so good.

07-13-2004 14:56:08 | More by nogoodreason
JackStraw22

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured into my St. Bernardus goblet, every beer seems to taste good out of it.

Appearance: dark, nearly pitch black. Nice full caramel head with good retention.

Smell: Roasted barley, espresso, a little bit of cherries, chocolate, slight smoke aroma. I think this may be the most wonderful smelling stout I've had. Complex and bold, yet balanced.

Taste: I could swear there's a whole bar of rich dark chocolate in this goblet. At the same time, it isn't too sweet, nice cascade hop kick at the end. So smooth and creamy, perfect light carbonation. This is a masterpiece. Roasted malt lasts and lasts in the mouth.

Drinkability: Can't give it a 5, but I sure wish I had another bomber of this.

05-13-2005 00:36:10 | More by JackStraw22
Frozensoul327

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Yes, this is where it's at. The best American Stout I have ever had. Pours out to a deep onyx, with a dark brown colored head of about 1/2 inch. Medium level of carbonation, but still higher than what's found in most American Stouts. Smell is heavenly; aromas of roasted malts and sweetended milk chocolate. Wonderful. Taste is full and delicious. Flavors of rich malts, sweet cocoa and chocolate, mild dark fruits, and a tame yeast element. Hints of wood and earth are also noted. Phenominal. Mouthfeel is smooth and exceptionally creamy. Drinkability is very high; even though this is thick and full bodied, this could be a daily brew for me in the winter months. World Class, and highly recommended.

12-10-2005 00:47:02 | More by Frozensoul327
HoustonTX

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

22oz. bomber poured into Duvel Tulip.

A - Deep, deep brown. Frothy good sized mocha colored head, excellent lacing and retention.

S - Sweet malts, coffee - cream - mocha - chocolate. Underlays of hops.

T - Taste upfront has a nice attentive hop bitterness to it. Layers of delicate chocolate, toffee, and roasted notes come through. These don't produce much sweetness, and only attend to the balance of the sweeping waves of hops. Aftertaste is strong roasted bitterness, that lingers for quite a long time. Long enough to take a nap, and still taste it after you awaken. Mouthfeel is creamy and finishes with a coating on the palate. Delicious and suprisingly bitter.

An incredible American Stout, and one that I highly recommend.

08-02-2006 19:19:32 | More by HoustonTX
mikegodat

Washington

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

What an awesome experience.
A Esspresso brown with a carmel colored head, great lacing.

S Reminded me of mollasses, sweet, pungent and enticing

T Hoppy for a stout, not excessivly bitter, nice chocolate/coffee mix with a little citrus rind mixed in.

M Can I say heaven in my mouth?

D I would have to say Yes, draft, bottle or from someone elses glass

10-15-2007 00:22:11 | More by mikegodat
BetterDarker

22 oz poured into snifter

A- Opaque, midnight black with a great fluffy brown head. Good retention with some lacing.

S- Earthy hops with burnt coffee, bitter chocolate and roasted malt. Classic.

T- Nicely bitter with roasted malt and bitter chocolate and coffee. Great finish with a nice lingering bitter chocolate.

M- Rich and creamy with great carbonation, not heavy. Fantastic.

D- Highly drinkable due to the great mouthfeel, taste and 6% ABV. I could drink this all day and be very happy.

12-31-2009 01:53:42 | More by BetterDarker
JohnnyP3

Alaska

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured from a 650ml bottle into an imperial pint glass. Bottle has a best before date of 8 October 2010. Been looking forward to this one as Shakespeare Stout was always one of my favorites before I joined BA and when I lived in the US...what luck that it has made its way to Norway!

A: Beautiful pour into the glass. Jet black with a thick, creamy tan head. Foam sticks to the glass to form intricate lace patterns. Your quintessential stout if I ever saw one.

S: Oats, milk, chocolate (dark and milk), toasted malt, cinnamon toast crunch, chocolate chip cookies. Just the way I remember it.

T: Like rediscovering a lost love. Where have you been the past few years? Chocolate -- dark chocolate, burnt cocoa powder, toasty malt, and a slight hint of dark fruit in the background, like a plum, perhaps. Oatmeal there as well. Bottle talks about an earthy flavor and a mellow chocolate aftertaste, which is right on the mark. Very satisfying and not excessively complex. A good reminder about how pleasurable an American stout can be after sampling the extreme beer scene. Rogue hit a bulls eye with this one. Lightening in a bottle.

M: Smooth, substantial, velvety, embracing, with a perfect amount of carbonation to cut through the fats on compliments like sharp cheeses.

D: For me, Shakespeare Stout is the definition of drinkability. Obviously we're not talking a thirst quencher that you're going to turn to to sate your thirst. What we're talking is a beautiful work of art that you're going to enjoy several pints of on a quiet evening, relishing life's simple pleasures. Not that this is a simple beer, but you get my meaning.

02-20-2010 16:41:57 | More by JohnnyP3