2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Shakespeare Oatmeal StoutShakespeare Oatmeal Stout

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,628 | Reviews: 1,516 | Show All Ratings:
chOAKbarrell

Maryland

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Totally opague during the pour, resulting in a beautiful tall mocha head.

The scent will remind you of all the reasons you love a great stout - the deep, rich coffee & chocolate tones amongst the malt. It is a treat just to smell.

Coffee and oats in the taste with a mellow chocolate finish, followed at the very end by a slight bitterness. Pure pleasure sliding past your tastebuds.

Incredibly smooth and silky. Low to medium carbonation. Smack your lips.

I'm always on a quest for the smoothest, richest stout, and I think I may have just found it in Rogue's Shakespeare Stout.

01-08-2006 22:44:27 | More by chOAKbarrell
mitchfor3

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. Pitch black color, beautiful creamy tan lace. This beer looks oh so inviting.

Smells so rich! Caramely, strongly malty, hint of hops. Can't wait!

Taste is mmm mmm mmm mmm good! Creamy, malty, just like the smell. Slightly sweet at first, and just a bit bitter when those hops kick in, but nothing overpower, and certainly nothing that detracts from the delicious taste.

I love stouts and this is one of my very favorite. I will be drinking this whenever I get the chance.

01-29-2006 03:09:02 | More by mitchfor3
crwills

Ontario (Canada)

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

There's a story behind this one. Shakespeare Stout is, I believe, the first real 'craft beer' I ever had. Showing my age, the first time I had it was while working in Oregon back in the Winter/Spring of 2000. It was on tap, at some pub in Corvallis and... I hated it. I remember telling friends that I'd had this horrible beer that tasted like dirt and plants, and how nasty it was. Of course, my idea of 'beer' at the time was pretty much Molson Canadian. Period. After this experience, it was several years before I even attempted to drink a beer that wasn't available in every bar in Toronto.

So, while staying at a hotel in Princeton, NJ a few weeks ago, I grabbed a 650 mL bomber of this from a local liquor store. I drank it out of lousy old hotel glasses while watching ridiculously overpriced pay-per-view movies on the TV after a long day of work. And now, I'm about to give this beer that once turned me entirely off anything non-macro the best review I've given any beer on this site. Shows how tastes change, doesn't it?

Anyway, the bomber produced a black beer which looked great even in the hotel glass, with some brownish highlights and a great, thick, long-lasting tan head. Aroma is one of the most appealing of any beer I've had in the last year. Malt, grains, plants, earth, and a bit of chocolate and roasted malt -- the same taste as six years ago, I'm sure, but now I've learned to appreciate it and more.

Taste is just fantastic. The same earthy flavours, oats and grains, chocolate, coffee, some sweet malt and some well-hidden hops. Reminds me a lot of an oatmeal stout, and even though that's not what it's categorized here, I can see from the ingredients list on the label that it includes some oatmeal.

Perfect mouthfeel, and a nice mildly bitter aftertaste that lingers. Very easy to drink.

I wish this were available in Toronto -- the only Rogue I've ever seen up here is the chocolate stout (which is also a fantastic beer).

Anyway, here's to a wonderful brew. And, to proof that my time spent learning about and trying different craft beers was truly worthwhile, since without such an effort I'd never again have tried this beer or most of the others I've enjoyed.

03-26-2006 19:19:02 | More by crwills
Adamthome1

Nebraska

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Probably my favorite Rogue beer. Depending if I have a sweet tooth or not I will platoon this beer with Rogue Chocolate Stout.

The body is heavier thanks to the oatmeal. It smells of complex chocolate and tastes of complex roasted coffee malts and surprising to me lacks the deep chocolate flavor indicated from the aroma.

This beer becomes even more flavorful as it warms. If you like your darks warm, go with this beer, if you prefer cold go with the Rogue Chocolate Stout. I recommend a Snifter glass for my darks, makes the aroma's explode!

12-04-2008 00:18:11 | More by Adamthome1
WilliamPhilaPa

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Starts by pouring a nice coffee black with a dark tan / copper head that is very creamy. Notes of roasted malts among other things in the aroma. Roasted malts come upfront on the palate then finishes with nice notes of chocolate in the aftertaste. Very smooth mouth feel.
Every beer that I had from Rogue was great! They have so many great beers!

03-26-2002 18:41:45 | More by WilliamPhilaPa
Viking

Indiana

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

A bomber for breakfast...

This may well be the best stout I've ever tasted. It was as black as a starless midnight with a thick creamy brown head. Interesting, and damn fine, aroma of roasted barley and a bit of citrusy hops. Nice thick, rich stout with an incredible flavor!

04-20-2002 09:00:38 | More by Viking
sponberg

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

I can add little to the consecrating that's been done over this beauty by the reviewers who drank the bottles I wish I now had in front of me.

Rather than the charcoal that Drew noted, I picked up a "cleanness," a difficult to define taste/mouthfeel thing that I've noted most usually in beers from Maine (I know, this one's from the other side of the country) - maybe the water/yeast has something to do with it? "Cleanness" is a quality that allows all of the beers complexities to come through - think about the mouthfeel you get from water from an ice-cold mountain spring. The beer equivalent of a full-range electrostatic speaker.

Whatever. Please, sir, may I have another?

05-11-2002 20:30:59 | More by sponberg
Murph

Arizona

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Pours blacker than black with a very creamy brown head that leaves a nice lace all the way down the glass. Strong chocolate aromas as well as some dark roasted coffee. There is also some nice piney/grapefruity bitter smell to this brew. Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. Tons of chocolate in thsi brew, especially as it warms. Good coffee characteristics as well and only a small amount of perceived bitterness due to the cascades but not very much actual hop taste/flavor. Smooth and chewy mouthfeel that is definitely contributed to by the oats that are added. This is one awesomely drinkable beer and is one of my all time favorites. It is definitely very deserving of it's spot on the top beers.

08-25-2002 10:41:05 | More by Murph
nogoodreason

Missouri

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: Black as night. A nice, one finger, brown head forms and hangs around for a few minutes. After a while, it dissipates down to a very thin covering, and it stays there. Nice lacing down the glass as it goes.

Smell: The hoppiest stout I've ever encountered. The hops scent is strong and tangy. In equal measure with the hops is a wonderful roasted scent. Strong coffee present. Potpourri should smell this good.

Taste: A brief note of cream-like sweetness as it hits the tip of the tongue. Next a rich roasted espresso flavor with strong, bitter hops. The flavor gets more strongly roasted and burnt as it goes down. Lovely, long coffee-like finish. Do I detect a trace of smoke? I do. Oh boy, this tastes good.

Mouthfeel: Plenty thick and highly carbonated. Feels like I think this style of stout should. Not as creamy and smooth as an Irish stout, instead a brash, aggressive force in your mouth.

Drinkability: Honestly, I could drink this all the time. The beautiful, big-ass bitter roasted goodness paired with the big-ass mouthfeel means that some people will have trouble drinking this one. I weep for them.

Final Notes: This might well be my favorite beer. It's unquestionably my favorite dry stout. This beer is unafraid to be big and ruthless. It's good. It’s so good.

07-13-2004 14:56:08 | More by nogoodreason
JackStraw22

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured into my St. Bernardus goblet, every beer seems to taste good out of it.

Appearance: dark, nearly pitch black. Nice full caramel head with good retention.

Smell: Roasted barley, espresso, a little bit of cherries, chocolate, slight smoke aroma. I think this may be the most wonderful smelling stout I've had. Complex and bold, yet balanced.

Taste: I could swear there's a whole bar of rich dark chocolate in this goblet. At the same time, it isn't too sweet, nice cascade hop kick at the end. So smooth and creamy, perfect light carbonation. This is a masterpiece. Roasted malt lasts and lasts in the mouth.

Drinkability: Can't give it a 5, but I sure wish I had another bomber of this.

05-13-2005 00:36:10 | More by JackStraw22
Frozensoul327

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Yes, this is where it's at. The best American Stout I have ever had. Pours out to a deep onyx, with a dark brown colored head of about 1/2 inch. Medium level of carbonation, but still higher than what's found in most American Stouts. Smell is heavenly; aromas of roasted malts and sweetended milk chocolate. Wonderful. Taste is full and delicious. Flavors of rich malts, sweet cocoa and chocolate, mild dark fruits, and a tame yeast element. Hints of wood and earth are also noted. Phenominal. Mouthfeel is smooth and exceptionally creamy. Drinkability is very high; even though this is thick and full bodied, this could be a daily brew for me in the winter months. World Class, and highly recommended.

12-10-2005 00:47:02 | More by Frozensoul327
HoustonTX

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

22oz. bomber poured into Duvel Tulip.

A - Deep, deep brown. Frothy good sized mocha colored head, excellent lacing and retention.

S - Sweet malts, coffee - cream - mocha - chocolate. Underlays of hops.

T - Taste upfront has a nice attentive hop bitterness to it. Layers of delicate chocolate, toffee, and roasted notes come through. These don't produce much sweetness, and only attend to the balance of the sweeping waves of hops. Aftertaste is strong roasted bitterness, that lingers for quite a long time. Long enough to take a nap, and still taste it after you awaken. Mouthfeel is creamy and finishes with a coating on the palate. Delicious and suprisingly bitter.

An incredible American Stout, and one that I highly recommend.

08-02-2006 19:19:32 | More by HoustonTX
mikegodat

Washington

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

What an awesome experience.
A Esspresso brown with a carmel colored head, great lacing.

S Reminded me of mollasses, sweet, pungent and enticing

T Hoppy for a stout, not excessivly bitter, nice chocolate/coffee mix with a little citrus rind mixed in.

M Can I say heaven in my mouth?

D I would have to say Yes, draft, bottle or from someone elses glass

10-15-2007 00:22:11 | More by mikegodat
BetterDarker

22 oz poured into snifter

A- Opaque, midnight black with a great fluffy brown head. Good retention with some lacing.

S- Earthy hops with burnt coffee, bitter chocolate and roasted malt. Classic.

T- Nicely bitter with roasted malt and bitter chocolate and coffee. Great finish with a nice lingering bitter chocolate.

M- Rich and creamy with great carbonation, not heavy. Fantastic.

D- Highly drinkable due to the great mouthfeel, taste and 6% ABV. I could drink this all day and be very happy.

12-31-2009 01:53:42 | More by BetterDarker
JohnnyP3

Alaska

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured from a 650ml bottle into an imperial pint glass. Bottle has a best before date of 8 October 2010. Been looking forward to this one as Shakespeare Stout was always one of my favorites before I joined BA and when I lived in the US...what luck that it has made its way to Norway!

A: Beautiful pour into the glass. Jet black with a thick, creamy tan head. Foam sticks to the glass to form intricate lace patterns. Your quintessential stout if I ever saw one.

S: Oats, milk, chocolate (dark and milk), toasted malt, cinnamon toast crunch, chocolate chip cookies. Just the way I remember it.

T: Like rediscovering a lost love. Where have you been the past few years? Chocolate -- dark chocolate, burnt cocoa powder, toasty malt, and a slight hint of dark fruit in the background, like a plum, perhaps. Oatmeal there as well. Bottle talks about an earthy flavor and a mellow chocolate aftertaste, which is right on the mark. Very satisfying and not excessively complex. A good reminder about how pleasurable an American stout can be after sampling the extreme beer scene. Rogue hit a bulls eye with this one. Lightening in a bottle.

M: Smooth, substantial, velvety, embracing, with a perfect amount of carbonation to cut through the fats on compliments like sharp cheeses.

D: For me, Shakespeare Stout is the definition of drinkability. Obviously we're not talking a thirst quencher that you're going to turn to to sate your thirst. What we're talking is a beautiful work of art that you're going to enjoy several pints of on a quiet evening, relishing life's simple pleasures. Not that this is a simple beer, but you get my meaning.

02-20-2010 16:41:57 | More by JohnnyP3
TheSixthRing

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Appearance - Pours jet black, with light penetrating only the thinnest edges. Head is a light cocoa powder color, 2 fingers thick and excellent retention. Resulting lace is thick and sticky.

Smell - Darkly roasted malts. Chocolate and mocha. Faint notes of oat. I could live off this smell.

Taste - Perfectly roasted malt. Unsweetened chocolate and coffee, with notes of caramel and oat. A faint touch of smoke lurks below. Hops are bitter citrus, like orange pith, and compliment the malt complexities without flaw. Superb balance. Dark but refreshing. Finishes with slightly bitter dark chocolate and light smokiness. So amazing! My perfect oatmeal stout!

Mouthfeel - Full body. Beautiful, silky smooth and creamy.

Overall - This is only like, my favorite beer ever. when I'm drinking a Shakespeare, I don't have a care in the world. Sensual qualities. Sexy smooth.

05-07-2012 03:11:22 | More by TheSixthRing
StevieW

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Well not much I can say, that hasn't already been stated. I thought this was great. Jet black color, very thick, is it going to make it out of the bottle ? Nice thick tan head, little oily drops dancing on top. Smell was sweet and bitter at the same time. I really noticed the roasted fruit and malt. Tasted better than it smelled.Very even taste, sweet, the fruit, malt, and touch of hops as well. Very good, mesermerizing beer, I just looked at it and wondered how it could taste so good. This also at the top of my list. I have only 1 left of 6. Bummer.

05-22-2002 05:51:38 | More by StevieW
Ave

Iowa

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Appearance: solid, impenetrably black. Thin head, low carbonation. A very understated looking stout. Not the special effect show of a nitro pour.

Smell: everything you have ever thought about in a stout is in here: chocolate, honey, toffee, roast beef, smoky wood, toasted grains, ripe fruit, coffee & much more. A knock your socks off kind of aroma, sold, rich, powerful & sweet.

Taste/ Mouthfeel: bitter & full flavor, sweet & nutty, oak & burgundy. A host of flavor swirls in your mouth, a powerhouse taste sensation. Yummy beer meal goodness finish.

Drinkability: is so good you will have no problems putting down several of these. Don’t expect to be hungry for some time, but you won’t be worrying about that. A stunningly good beer.

Ave

03-10-2003 07:00:18 | More by Ave
euskera

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

What can I say? I think I've found beer Nirvana..

Poured out black as night into my snifter.. Smell was of dark roast espresso with a twinge of hops. Taste was malty, with just a hint of molasses on the tongue, along with that really bitter black chocolate you get with a really high African cocoa bean content. Goes down velvety smooth and leaves nothing but a clean afterfeel on the palate. I will come back to this time after time...

06-07-2003 19:55:59 | More by euskera
alexgash

Connecticut

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Very dark, pretty much black body with a medium sized brown head. A thing of beauty. I can see why this is called Shakespeare Stout, if indeed, Shakespeare was black and smelled of sweet roasted malts, rum-soaked coffee cake, and hops. Taste is not sweet as the smell might indicate, but loaded with malts and delicious roastiness. Very robust burned, roasty, coffee flavors--amazing. The only other stout that I can compare it to is Kalamazoo stout. Finish is delightfully dry and bitter with lingering chocolatey roastiness. I can tell the alcohol is there, but it goes down so easily. Maybe I will compose a sonnet to this beer, but on the other hand I think I'll just drink, enjoy, savor, and buy some for my family members for Christmas.

08-30-2003 22:02:16 | More by alexgash
Dmann

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

This is now officialy the best stout that I have ever had. This poured jet black with a medium sized brown head that turned into a nice pillowy froth on top of the beer. The smell was heavenly with the smell of coffee beans and a slight hint of plum. The taste just killed me with its perfect balance of hoppy, chocolate and smokey flavors all rounded out by a great coffee finish. This stout is balanced to perfection and is one of the few that I could pound back all night and enjoy every minute of it.

10-17-2003 09:41:11 | More by Dmann
MobBarley

Oregon

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

I finally found this at the local Wild Oats, stashed inconspicuously behind a couple of Dead Guys. This rather thick, deep black beer produced a large yet transient head similar in color to milk chocolate. Intimidating and enticing.

A rindy bitterness accosts my nose on the first whiff. A closer smell reveals notes of molasses and crisp pear, a warm bready sweetness underlies the aroma throughout.

Hoppy! Such a nice hoppy stout. Certainly a PNW stout with less of a grainy sweetnes than I would expect. What sweetness there is comes first. It is slightly syrupy and refined. It doesn't remind me of anything in particular; kind of a generic malty sweetness. Then a barrage of bitter notes, first slightly creamy, then rindy like kumquats, then green and fresh like arugula. An espresso-like tang persists.

This feels smooth in my mouth, and Rogue (as usual) errs on the side of safety with the carbonation. Refreshing for a stout.

The drinkability is surprisingly high here. Perhaps this is a good session stout for those that eschew Guinness. Altogether though, when I want stout I'll pick up a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal or Rogue Chocolate Stout instead.

01-23-2004 05:06:41 | More by MobBarley
kdmorse

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

A: Dark-chocolate-black topped with 4 fingers of fluffy, brown head that recedes to 1 finger of creamy head. Lacing sticks around for a long time.

S: Sweet scent of caramelized sugar and wisps of light smoke. Fresh hoppy aroma. Dance between sweetness and bitter/crisp hops is elegant and enjoyable.

T: Wow! The brewers at Rogue got this one right. Full, inviting creaminess. Sweet malt and barley linger until they are politely washed away by slightly citrusy hops.

M: Mouth fills with creamy, warming goodness. The finish is very clean with only a slightly hoppy aftertaste.

D: Great session stout. Tons of flavor without too much alcohol. Easy and enjoyable to drink and priced fairly.

04-14-2006 23:51:08 | More by kdmorse
Cyberkedi

Georgia

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

An oatmeal variant of their famous - and highly rated - Shakespeare Stout, which is one of my faves. It pours a beautiful opaque near-midnight black with a thick, fine-bubbled, persistent dark tan head. Strong aroma is richly of fine coffee and quality chocolate, very tempting. Flavor is like a fine mocha, quality roast coffee and good chocolate, not too sweet, hints of molasses. Texture is smooth, tingly and fizzy, leaving a slightly sweet and very pleasing finish. A must for stouties!

03-22-2010 01:57:53 | More by Cyberkedi
jward

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

This is an exceptionally well-balanced stout -- simply delicious. Shakespeare Stout pours black, like a well-seasoned skillet, with a luscious mocha-brown head. The nose is dark and woodsy, with elements of dark chocolate, rum and, as Riggo has observed, olive (or even olive oil). The flavor profile is, I'll say it again, just exceptionally well-balanced. There are notes of espresso, oats, hops, chocolate and perhaps wild berries, but no single flavor dominates. The mouthfeel is robust, but not heavy, nicely balanced by a surprisingly crisp carbonatation and dry finish. (Even the bottle is great, with a dangerously well-dressed 'rogue' holding up a frothy mug of beer.)

With its subtle flavor, at least for the style, this isn't the biggest stout around and it's not going to assault or overwhelm your tastebuds. But that's just fine by me. In my judgment, this is one of the best beers produced in the U.S.

01-24-2003 16:06:19 | More by jward