Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros

I think I had to grow to love this beer. And, three years later, I feel completely confident revising my 4.3 to a perfect 5. The beer is exactly the same as it's always been, but I'm a better man.

Shakespeare Stout is the first growth Bordeaux of beer. Its lush fudgy taste balanced by the best use of Cascade hops in the U.S. Yes, better than any I.P.A.

The bitter citrus is a wondrous foil for the chocolate. And it adds edge to the otherwise creamy texture. Yeah, the Brits would have just left it creamy--maybe relying on a bit of minerality from their water to balance it. Rogue don't need no mineral. They've got hops. And I'll take delicate hops over limestone any day.

Looking back on my experience with beer over the past several years and drinking this today, I realized my proudest moment was probably when I tried to clone this--and it came out exactly the same. For one day, I played tennis with the gods.

Pours a beautiful thick black with a large 3 finger brown head that hangs around leaving a lace down the glass. The smell of the cascade hops and roasted chocolate are evident and smells absolutely delicious. Wow! Great brew with flavors of chocolate roasted malt with the hops balanced superbly and the chocolate hangs around to the end. This beer has a very creamy mouthfeel and leaves your mouth begging for another swallow. Only my second perfect 5 in 100 reviews. I couldn't find anything wrong with it, period! What a way to enter the mug club and I was saving it for that! Cheers!

Come on, it is a stout that makes all others bow to it. One of the best beers, no matter what style , ever brewed and drank in my opinion. Oh yeah....
22 once bottle bought in a 12 pack at a distributor in Pittsburgh, PA (we can not buy beer in supermarkets, gas stations, ect., there are dedicated distributors for beer).

taste - slight chocolate with a overtone of mussels (maybe it is just me)?

appearance - black beauty with fine carbonation that lingers around with an agresive pour into a 20 ounce Guinness glass.

mouthfeel - wants more, smooth and delicious with the carbonation lacing nicely on the glass and the teeth, I suppose.

smell - chocolate, cofffee-ish (a made a new word) excellence that dissapates slowly and enhances the subtle tones of seafood (again, maybe it is me).

drinkability- at $66.00 a case this is a bargain in my mind....Chimay brand can have it's $150.00 a case nose into the air but must look at the kid kicking it in the shins...enjoy

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales