Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros

Awful.

1.24/5  rDev -70.1%

2.1/5  rDev -49.4%

Poured a pitch black with a nice thick dark tan head. Head left little lacing, as I wasn't able to drink much of this brew.

Aroma was non-descript, a little malty and not very strong.

Not sure what went wrong with this- taste was potent and bitter. A little malt and hop character, but the "bite" was so overwhelming I couldn't gather much else. Not sure if this was a bad bottle (skunked?) or what, but the overall experience was foul. This was the first time I have ever poured a beer out without finishing it. I enjoy a lot of stouts, and this was NOT the flavor or bite I usually associate with a good stout.

I sincerely hope this was a bad bottle, but it will be quite a while before I spend $5 to try it again.

2.2/5  rDev -47%

Bottle: tall brown 650mL bottle, transluscent craft beer label.

Appearance: a good start - pitch black in colour with a two-finger tan head that leaves great lace as it dropped to a rocky one-finger.

Aroma: an unpleasant and musty earth-like nose. Not nice at all - smells of bad nuts and dirt.

Taste: follows the nose - no subtelety behind this beer. A musty dankness - earthy and unpleasant.

Aftertaste: lingers too long - I don't like this one.

Mouth feel: lighter in body than I would have expected, with a moderate carbonation.

Overall: this is a very expensive and very poor beer. I would avoid this at all cost - it is an uninspired and uninteresting version of the oatmeal stout. Another poor beer from Rogue.

2.25/5  rDev -45.8%

2.3/5  rDev -44.6%

This bottle has close to a years worth of age on it if not a years age. Pours a deep deep brown, basically black, but from what I can tell from the pour is relatively clear. Decent brown head which recedes pretty quickly. Dark fruit especially figs on the nose along with anisette and faint touches of chocolate. Gonna give it a moment to breathe. With a little time the malt comes across really nicely on the nose as chocolate chip cookie dough. Some other not so pleasant scents still arise however.

Chewy mouthfeel with a deep roasted character. A little watery on the finish with subdued bitterness. Classic rogue crispness. Flavors include chocolate, licorice, anisette, coffee, alcohol and touches of nail polish. More so all over the place then layered. Clean finish though. Hap hazard flavors and a flimsy body unable to pull them all together. Not sure if it's the age or just the pac man yeast that has ruined beer. At least it's different than most of rogues other offerings i've had.

Drinkable but I dont see what all the hypes about.

2.38/5  rDev -42.7%

Being a big fan of stouts, I was so happy to pick up a bottle of what seemed to be one of the highest rated stouts on BA. To this point, my two favorite stouts are Brooklyn Black Chocolate and Mackesons. So I was hoping to add a new one to my list.

The beer poured a dark thick almost black color with a reddish head... looked very good and made me anxious to taste. Hardly any aroma though... seemed very strange. Now for the taste... burnt, bitter and hoppy. Burnt like the way Starbucks overroasts their coffee beans. Hoppy... I've never had a stout with so much hops presence... not very typical of the style in my opinion. Bitter... this lingering bitterness in my mouth that I typically get from those over-the-top IPAs.

Just not my cup of tea... or mug of stout...

2.39/5  rDev -42.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I'm a huge Rogue fan. Love the Black Lager, Pumpkin Patch and more.

A: Black leads into a thick hot cocoa head with a ruby crust that disperses quickly and leaves little lacing

S: Toasted malt, slight maple syrup notes

T: dusty chalky swiss miss

M: Thin and dry, ends in cotton mouth

O: Must have been a funky batch

2.48/5  rDev -40.2%

My wife picked this one. She fell in love with Hazelnut Brown Nectar and now swears unconditionally by all things Rogue. As for me, my recent Rogue beers while not terrible, have been disappointing, so it's against my better judgement that we go forward with this one.

After an attractive pour, this one falls off a cliff, with a imperceptible, musty, dog-in-a-swamp odor that wards off all normal beer smells. The taste hits all the right notes at first with grains and roasty malts, but it drowns in a sea of, uh, stank. There is a lot of unpleasant bitterness that makes finishing a pint a real chore. Mouthfeel isn't bad, but doesn't have the thick smoothness I expect in an Oatmeal Stout.

Dammitall, Rogues have gone from blah to outright bad on this one. This beer is borderline lousy. Hope I got a bad bottle. Last time I reviewed a Rogue beer I swear I was taking a Rogue hiatus. Apparently the hiatus ended, but that goes double this time.

2.53/5  rDev -39%

Reviewed 9/6/2006 (22oz bottle):

Pours a dark brown/black colored body, with a huge head, lasting, brown/light brown in color. Has a very stout-y aroma, coffee, but not much else. Has a coffee taste, and is rich. Somewhat watery. Okay, but not my thing.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales