Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
apintofknowledge

2.38/5  rDev -42.8%

Being a big fan of stouts, I was so happy to pick up a bottle of what seemed to be one of the highest rated stouts on BA. To this point, my two favorite stouts are Brooklyn Black Chocolate and Mackesons. So I was hoping to add a new one to my list.

The beer poured a dark thick almost black color with a reddish head... looked very good and made me anxious to taste. Hardly any aroma though... seemed very strange. Now for the taste... burnt, bitter and hoppy. Burnt like the way Starbucks overroasts their coffee beans. Hoppy... I've never had a stout with so much hops presence... not very typical of the style in my opinion. Bitter... this lingering bitterness in my mouth that I typically get from those over-the-top IPAs.

Just not my cup of tea... or mug of stout...

01-12-2005 01:51:29 | More by apintofknowledge
eggman2814

2.39/5  rDev -42.5%

I'm a huge Rogue fan. Love the Black Lager, Pumpkin Patch and more.

A: Black leads into a thick hot cocoa head with a ruby crust that disperses quickly and leaves little lacing

S: Toasted malt, slight maple syrup notes

T: dusty chalky swiss miss

M: Thin and dry, ends in cotton mouth

O: Must have been a funky batch

12-06-2013 03:17:02 | More by eggman2814
lurpy1

2.48/5  rDev -40.4%

My wife picked this one. She fell in love with Hazelnut Brown Nectar and now swears unconditionally by all things Rogue. As for me, my recent Rogue beers while not terrible, have been disappointing, so it's against my better judgement that we go forward with this one.

After an attractive pour, this one falls off a cliff, with a imperceptible, musty, dog-in-a-swamp odor that wards off all normal beer smells. The taste hits all the right notes at first with grains and roasty malts, but it drowns in a sea of, uh, stank. There is a lot of unpleasant bitterness that makes finishing a pint a real chore. Mouthfeel isn't bad, but doesn't have the thick smoothness I expect in an Oatmeal Stout.

Dammitall, Rogues have gone from blah to outright bad on this one. This beer is borderline lousy. Hope I got a bad bottle. Last time I reviewed a Rogue beer I swear I was taking a Rogue hiatus. Apparently the hiatus ended, but that goes double this time.

12-21-2011 04:33:00 | More by lurpy1

05-19-2013 18:14:35 | More by birdsellam
jujubeast6000

2.53/5  rDev -39.2%

Reviewed 9/6/2006 (22oz bottle):

Pours a dark brown/black colored body, with a huge head, lasting, brown/light brown in color. Has a very stout-y aroma, coffee, but not much else. Has a coffee taste, and is rich. Somewhat watery. Okay, but not my thing.

01-23-2009 03:48:05 | More by jujubeast6000
Indybeer

Indiana

2.63/5  rDev -36.8%

22 oz bomber. Poured a pure black with a massive chocloate head that slowly receded. Lots of lacing on the glass. Now here is where things go south for me on this. The aroma was all hops, I could barely detect anything else. he same with the taste. It reminded me more of drinking an IPA instead of a stout. Did I get a very young bottle that wasn't ready? I find it hard to rate this, not being like any other stout i've had. It's not bad but not what was expected.

10-25-2003 05:41:54 | More by Indybeer
chilly460

2.63/5  rDev -36.8%

A - Pours an inky black with chocolate brown head, very nice looking beer.

S - I pick up mostly a malty scent, with some chocolate tones. Not the big aroma I expected.

T - Burnt coffee dominates, overly astringent. Never get to the "roastiness" that I expected.

M - Quite thin for the style.

D - Fair, but the bitter/astringent taste keep this to one beer.

I don't know if I got a bad bottle or just an off day as far as taste goes, but this beer did not match previous reviews. Will try again soon.

08-27-2009 23:58:28 | More by chilly460
BierDrinker

Nova Scotia (Canada)

2.71/5  rDev -34.9%

Pretty much an opaque black colour with a tan head the hangs around for awhile with a small amount of lacing.

A confusing aroma. Sweet, floral but a metallic smell to it.

Medium strong flavour on the bitter side. Notes of toast, coffee and herbal.

Medium body with a lively amount of carbonation. I found it a bit astringent and again, metallic feeling. Like the sensation from licking stainless steel if that makes sense?

A longer than average bitter finish but not intense.

As far as stouts go, this one is a little too light and bitter for my tastes. The subtle metallic smell and taste kind of threw me off. I'm new at paying attention to what I taste, so I could be mistaking that sensation for something else.

03-02-2013 01:37:01 | More by BierDrinker
Hojaminbag

Colorado

2.73/5  rDev -34.4%

Rogue Shakespeare Stout has an extremely dark-colored, opaque body. The head is large and brown, with big bubbles, good retention and good lacing.

The aroma is a little bit off-putting the coffee is bitter and not especially aromatic; at first it just smells a lot like soy sauce.

The flavor is an improvement on the aroma, but I still don't love it. The coffee tastes a little bit more like coffee, but not like any kind of coffee I would want to drink; the flavor is dominated by an acrid bitterness, and not a pleasant bitterness that would come from hops. The coffee flavor is bringing the bitterness. Besides that, there are roasted malts and a little bit of chocolate malts and bright, hops in the finish.

The mouthfeel is solid, with a big creamy feel to it.

I can't say I'm a fan of Shakespeare Stout. I doubt I'll be trying this one again.

12-19-2010 13:11:35 | More by Hojaminbag

2.75/5  rDev -33.9%

10-29-2013 13:14:14 | More by Gotti311
CuriousMonk

2.8/5  rDev -32.7%

Poured from 750ml bottle into a snifter glass. Pours opaque black with a thin beige head. The nose lacked rich, creamy chocolate and oatmeal that I expected. Picked up more coffee and some green herb notes instead. The taste is of more chocolate, going into a burnt cocoa or even liquorice or charcoal. The palate medium bodied, there is a creamy texture in the middle section and a dry (unfortunately slightly astringent) finish. Expected more out of this one bc of its high rating. Not going to be on the bandwagon on this one. Sorry.

02-06-2012 22:47:51 | More by CuriousMonk
Burlyn

2.83/5  rDev -32%

Black/Dark Brown with a super thick, creamy, and persistent latte head.

Smells malty sweet light coffee and a little hops

Tastes are malty and light coffee as well. Not as full in flavor as I hoped for. The funky acid taste towards the end was also unwelcome.

Very smooth and greasy. Ends dry. the taste of alcohol is faintly present.

Not as good as I was expecting it to be. The full and roundness of a great or even good beer just weren't there. Decent and palatable.

07-28-2012 17:38:35 | More by Burlyn
DS31

2.86/5  rDev -31.3%

The color was quite dark and the moderate head was a beautiful tan color. I was looking forward to this one after reading some of the very good reviews. However, this brew had a bitter aftertaste that I could not get away from. Perhaps I got an off bottle and will make another try..

04-02-2013 22:45:36 | More by DS31
JDV

2.93/5  rDev -29.6%

Black thick pour with a slightly oil look to it. Nice big foamy brown lasting head. Smell is fairly heavily hopped, with a rich roastiness in the background and a bit of dry cocoa. Taste is roasty, with medium to high carbonation, and was well hopped. Slightly overcarbonated, a bit dry, and bland, although the body was full and rich. Okay, but far from one of my favorite stouts. Just boring overall, and needed some sweetness to make the flavors pop a bit more.

02-24-2008 18:45:32 | More by JDV
EwaldEichstaett

Jordan

2.95/5  rDev -29.1%

hmmm Rogue... this company is beginning to get under my nerves... all of their dark beers seem to have the same acidic, pungent, chocolate and coffee flavour. Perhaps this is some weird form of conditioning... the first Rogue beer I ever had was the Double Chocolate Stout... anyway...

It looks alright, black with weak lacing, the head was big but it is gone now. The smell is what I described above... Acrid yet savory. I would probably rate the beer higher if it was a regular stout as opposed to an oatmeal. The smooth, creamy, thick oatmeal character is not there (at least not enough).

For the quality and the price, this one is definitely a pass.

11-28-2010 22:31:43 | More by EwaldEichstaett