2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Shakespeare Oatmeal StoutShakespeare Oatmeal Stout

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,618 | Reviews: 1,516 | Show All Ratings:
JohnnyP3

Alaska

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured from a 650ml bottle into an imperial pint glass. Bottle has a best before date of 8 October 2010. Been looking forward to this one as Shakespeare Stout was always one of my favorites before I joined BA and when I lived in the US...what luck that it has made its way to Norway!

A: Beautiful pour into the glass. Jet black with a thick, creamy tan head. Foam sticks to the glass to form intricate lace patterns. Your quintessential stout if I ever saw one.

S: Oats, milk, chocolate (dark and milk), toasted malt, cinnamon toast crunch, chocolate chip cookies. Just the way I remember it.

T: Like rediscovering a lost love. Where have you been the past few years? Chocolate -- dark chocolate, burnt cocoa powder, toasty malt, and a slight hint of dark fruit in the background, like a plum, perhaps. Oatmeal there as well. Bottle talks about an earthy flavor and a mellow chocolate aftertaste, which is right on the mark. Very satisfying and not excessively complex. A good reminder about how pleasurable an American stout can be after sampling the extreme beer scene. Rogue hit a bulls eye with this one. Lightening in a bottle.

M: Smooth, substantial, velvety, embracing, with a perfect amount of carbonation to cut through the fats on compliments like sharp cheeses.

D: For me, Shakespeare Stout is the definition of drinkability. Obviously we're not talking a thirst quencher that you're going to turn to to sate your thirst. What we're talking is a beautiful work of art that you're going to enjoy several pints of on a quiet evening, relishing life's simple pleasures. Not that this is a simple beer, but you get my meaning.

02-20-2010 16:41:57 | More by JohnnyP3
TheSixthRing

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Appearance - Pours jet black, with light penetrating only the thinnest edges. Head is a light cocoa powder color, 2 fingers thick and excellent retention. Resulting lace is thick and sticky.

Smell - Darkly roasted malts. Chocolate and mocha. Faint notes of oat. I could live off this smell.

Taste - Perfectly roasted malt. Unsweetened chocolate and coffee, with notes of caramel and oat. A faint touch of smoke lurks below. Hops are bitter citrus, like orange pith, and compliment the malt complexities without flaw. Superb balance. Dark but refreshing. Finishes with slightly bitter dark chocolate and light smokiness. So amazing! My perfect oatmeal stout!

Mouthfeel - Full body. Beautiful, silky smooth and creamy.

Overall - This is only like, my favorite beer ever. when I'm drinking a Shakespeare, I don't have a care in the world. Sensual qualities. Sexy smooth.

05-07-2012 03:11:22 | More by TheSixthRing
proc

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

This is as high as I think I've ever rated a beer. Wonderful, outstanding, refreshing, flavorful....I could go on and on. This pours to a beautiful dark color with amber hints in the lace and foam. A wonderful mouthfeel is followed by a near-perfect taste all the way through. There is something magical that happens to stouts when oats are added. It becomes a food, an event, a happening and not just a drink. Yum.

04-08-2002 06:19:59 | More by proc
ADR

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Midnight black with one of the darkest heads ever, deep auburn with those even darker last drips from the pour. Really great lace as well, intricate crown-of-thorns patterns. Sweet smell, some whiffs of dehydrated, concentrated strawberry. Darn-near perfect mouthfeel, heavy and rich but not at all syrupy. Chocolate flavors with a hint of vanilla and berry in a very consistent statement. Solid roast and an impressive and distinguishing hop bite to the back flavor. This is a dang OUTSTANDING Stout, just first rate in all categories. Man, it is good.

04-17-2002 08:06:34 | More by ADR
HossMcGraw

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

I enjoyed my first Shakespeare Stout this evening, and it was killer! Comparing the texture of this to motor oil is not exaggerating at all. Pitch black, moderate tan head. As for the taste, it was a pretty complex mix of smokey coffee and chocolate with a great hoppy bite that is prevalent but not overpowering.

For some reason, the flavor of this really reminds me of being at the beach on a cold day and has almost a saltwater quality to it, and I mean that as a compliment. This was one of the best beers I've had to date. Not quite as good as Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout, but better than Storm King.

11-04-2002 19:12:34 | More by HossMcGraw
Kwak

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Exccelent from start to finish!
IT sat hevy in the glass and look liked mud.
The head was tastey with a rich tan color.
It was a dark and thick body, flavor in every sip.
Its after taste was filling and a littel warming.

Great Showing Rouge

I must stop now and get another.

11-06-2002 08:18:11 | More by Kwak
jtw5877

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

The only reason I am not rating this a 5, is that I have never rated a beer perfect yet! Pours a deepest darkest brown hue, with a solid tan head. Superb flavors abound, Chocolate is right beside toffee, coffee, and caramel, with enough hops to keep everybody in line, one great beer!

03-28-2003 20:21:51 | More by jtw5877
Rob6852

Louisiana

Now thats a Stout.
22 oz. Bomber with no freshness label.
Poured ink black with a Thick creamy tan head 2 fingers tall that
hung around for the whole beer.
Smells of dark roast Coffee, Mocha and a hint of dark chocolate.
The taste of this beer is simply awsome. The roasted malt gives a
coffee/dark chocolate taste and is helped out by the slight hops
dryness as it finishes.It leaves a smokey toffee taste in your mouth.
I'd say of the stouts that I have had the pleaure of drinking, this one
tops them all. Done right the first time.
I will be buying more of this wonderfull liquid in the near future.

12-21-2003 10:50:59 | More by Rob6852
Olorin

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

I've read a review that described this beer as a " force to be reckoned with ". I would second that motion. Pours very similar to Rogues Choc. Stout. The aroma, initially, is three fold: Hops, Alcohol and Burnt Chocolate in that order. This beer is so intense its difficult to describe. My first drink ( a long draw ) reminds me of two things: Orange and Grapefruit Zest. Once that bitterness subsides - and stay with it because it will pass, you realize that deep roasted, smokey malt smoothness gives balance to the tremendous right hook that is the cascade hops. If the only thing you've ever had is Bud, Coors or Miller you will not ' get ' this beer. There is no brewery out there that does hops like Rogue. There are so many things going on at once with this beer, it's difficult to keep track of it all. It's bitter and smooth, espresso like and hoppy, nutty and smokey and the taste lingers, it really hangs in there. The flavor of this beer is all encompasing. If this beer doesn't move you, nothing will.

Additional note: this beer doesn't reach it's true potential until it has been " cured " for at least 18 months - like sitting in the back of your fridge type cured, preferably for two years. If you don't wait this long, or if you don't find a bottle that is that old, you will have what I refer to as a " green " beer. Believe me when I say this beer will taste primarily like grapefruit peel and not much more if it hasn't been aged for that long. Shakespeare Stout isn't for everyone and certainly not for the faint of heart.

03-07-2005 07:02:46 | More by Olorin
Noxious26

Saskatchewan (Canada)

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

650 ml bottle poured in a pint glass.

Absolutely ebony black in colour letting no light through. Head foams up greatly at the pour, then settles down to a nice 1/4 inch thick medium brown with some big rocky bubbles.

The smell is complex and layered. Roasted malt dominates with tones of bitter chocolate, dried fruit and even subtle hops.

Time for a taste and... whoa... WHOA! Hold on to your horses cause my tastebuds are in for an all out barrage. A whole wave of flavours crashes upon the tongue almost overloading the taste senses. Roasted malts dominate with a slightly burnt, yet slightly sweet undertone. There is more here in the flavour than I could possibly hope to keep up with let alone put to words. Hops rise to the surface to keep things balanced out. Man is this smooth and creamy. The aftertaste is bitter, yet not overly so, and long lasting.

The mouthfeel is thick and creamy with subtle carbonation.

This is truly an amazing stout. The smooth, luscious taste gives evidence to an oatmeal character. Simply the best stout I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. I believe no beer is perfect, so if I have to pick any weakness, the bitter finish lowers the drinkability slightly, but only marginally so.

Bless you Rogue Ales for creating this fantastic brew!

06-13-2005 03:05:25 | More by Noxious26
beveragecaptain

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

22 ounce bomber. This beer pours out black with a huge dark brown head. The aroma is roasted coffee, caramel, and hops - everything that I like in a stout. This beer has a great roasted flavor. There is also a malty caramel flavor. The most notable aspect of this beer is the hops. There is much more hopiness than in most stouts. The hops and bitter roastiness balance the malt. Mouthfeel is full. This beer is terrific both from the bottle and on tap. Just be sure to let it warm up if it's at refrigerator temp. Nearly perfect.

07-03-2005 00:43:17 | More by beveragecaptain
nickss

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Appearance - 5 - Black as night and beautiful. Huge one inch plus tan head, with tons of lacing as it slowly subsides.

Smell - 4.5 - Caramel and mocha, berries and nuts with some gorgeous floral hoppiness in the tail... wonderful.

Taste - 5 - Intensely complex... I love this... much better than I remember it being. Huge coffee and mocha in the front end, a bit of subtle nuttiness and a quick burst of berries in the back.... amazing.

Mouthfeel - 5 - thick, creamy, tongue coating... wow.

Drinkability - 5 - This goes right behind Storm King in my list of favorite brews.... I could drink this all day long and not grow tired of it. Simply incredible.

09-23-2005 19:56:18 | More by nickss
orfeu

New Mexico

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

appearance - pours murky black into my imperial pint glass with a thick, coffee-with-cream head. nicely attenuated bubbles. head stays for a while but eventually becomes a thin cap. not much lacing.

smell - chocolate roasty malts with hops, too.

taste - bittersweet chocolate, nice hop bitterness, with aftertaste of dark roasted coffee. hop level is surprising! piney, almost citrusy, but that roasted espresso with burnt chocolate is right there along with it. my, this is beautifully integrated. hoppy burps.

m - medium body, creamy, smooth, somewhat "peppery" if that can be considered a tactile sensation. damn, is it incredibly smooth, though.

d - i don't drink a lot of stouts, but i think this one and brooklyn's black chocolate might turn me into more of a regular. this is incredibly drinkable. a giant, but not so big it scares you. i'd go for this one any grey day.

world class ale, indeed.

10-13-2005 20:27:11 | More by orfeu
chOAKbarrell

Maryland

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Totally opague during the pour, resulting in a beautiful tall mocha head.

The scent will remind you of all the reasons you love a great stout - the deep, rich coffee & chocolate tones amongst the malt. It is a treat just to smell.

Coffee and oats in the taste with a mellow chocolate finish, followed at the very end by a slight bitterness. Pure pleasure sliding past your tastebuds.

Incredibly smooth and silky. Low to medium carbonation. Smack your lips.

I'm always on a quest for the smoothest, richest stout, and I think I may have just found it in Rogue's Shakespeare Stout.

01-08-2006 22:44:27 | More by chOAKbarrell
mitchfor3

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. Pitch black color, beautiful creamy tan lace. This beer looks oh so inviting.

Smells so rich! Caramely, strongly malty, hint of hops. Can't wait!

Taste is mmm mmm mmm mmm good! Creamy, malty, just like the smell. Slightly sweet at first, and just a bit bitter when those hops kick in, but nothing overpower, and certainly nothing that detracts from the delicious taste.

I love stouts and this is one of my very favorite. I will be drinking this whenever I get the chance.

01-29-2006 03:09:02 | More by mitchfor3
crwills

Ontario (Canada)

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

There's a story behind this one. Shakespeare Stout is, I believe, the first real 'craft beer' I ever had. Showing my age, the first time I had it was while working in Oregon back in the Winter/Spring of 2000. It was on tap, at some pub in Corvallis and... I hated it. I remember telling friends that I'd had this horrible beer that tasted like dirt and plants, and how nasty it was. Of course, my idea of 'beer' at the time was pretty much Molson Canadian. Period. After this experience, it was several years before I even attempted to drink a beer that wasn't available in every bar in Toronto.

So, while staying at a hotel in Princeton, NJ a few weeks ago, I grabbed a 650 mL bomber of this from a local liquor store. I drank it out of lousy old hotel glasses while watching ridiculously overpriced pay-per-view movies on the TV after a long day of work. And now, I'm about to give this beer that once turned me entirely off anything non-macro the best review I've given any beer on this site. Shows how tastes change, doesn't it?

Anyway, the bomber produced a black beer which looked great even in the hotel glass, with some brownish highlights and a great, thick, long-lasting tan head. Aroma is one of the most appealing of any beer I've had in the last year. Malt, grains, plants, earth, and a bit of chocolate and roasted malt -- the same taste as six years ago, I'm sure, but now I've learned to appreciate it and more.

Taste is just fantastic. The same earthy flavours, oats and grains, chocolate, coffee, some sweet malt and some well-hidden hops. Reminds me a lot of an oatmeal stout, and even though that's not what it's categorized here, I can see from the ingredients list on the label that it includes some oatmeal.

Perfect mouthfeel, and a nice mildly bitter aftertaste that lingers. Very easy to drink.

I wish this were available in Toronto -- the only Rogue I've ever seen up here is the chocolate stout (which is also a fantastic beer).

Anyway, here's to a wonderful brew. And, to proof that my time spent learning about and trying different craft beers was truly worthwhile, since without such an effort I'd never again have tried this beer or most of the others I've enjoyed.

03-26-2006 19:19:02 | More by crwills
Adamthome1

Nebraska

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Probably my favorite Rogue beer. Depending if I have a sweet tooth or not I will platoon this beer with Rogue Chocolate Stout.

The body is heavier thanks to the oatmeal. It smells of complex chocolate and tastes of complex roasted coffee malts and surprising to me lacks the deep chocolate flavor indicated from the aroma.

This beer becomes even more flavorful as it warms. If you like your darks warm, go with this beer, if you prefer cold go with the Rogue Chocolate Stout. I recommend a Snifter glass for my darks, makes the aroma's explode!

12-04-2008 00:18:11 | More by Adamthome1
NolanGTI

4.93/5  rDev +18.5%

This is one of my favorite stouts in the world. Beautiful black pour with a 1 finger head that sticks aroud for awhile. This beer looks like someone smeared carbonated milk chocolate on your beer, just a gorgeous head.

The nose is all over the chocolate spectrum, just outstanding. I honestly believe you could trick people with a sweet tooth into trying this just based on the smell.

This is what a stout should taste like. great mouthfeel, not too carbonated but not watery, just perfect. Nice roasted malt with chocolate dominate the falors in this classic.

11-24-2005 13:53:36 | More by NolanGTI
Osirus

Tennessee

4.93/5  rDev +18.5%

My very first review and what a beer to start with!

Served out of the 22oz bottle. Who doesn't love the Rogue bottles?

Appearance. Great head retention. Thick and tan crown of small bubbles sitting on top of black liquid. I am liking it already.

Smell. It took me a long time to pick this aroma apart. Wood smoke. Light ash. Coffee. Oak. Dark cocoa. The more I kept smelling the more I was able to pick up. This is complex and worth taking your time with. One young lady with us said "I smells like my perverted uncle in his pipe coat." For some reason I couldn't help but agree with her.

Taste. I taste hints of lightly smoked food but not at all overpowering....only hints. Pipe tabacco. Espresso comes out more in the taste than the smell. Lingering, tasty, powerful aftertaste. Complex and well balanced which says something given the multitude of tastes. I swear I am getting bacon, too.

Mouthfeel. Thick. Carbonation comes alive.

Overall. This is a mistress in a bottle. This beer went into my all time top ten list as soon as I tried it and is hands down the best stout I have had. Take your time with this one. Don't be the perverted uncle, though. That was kind of creepy.

08-16-2011 02:51:17 | More by Osirus
mjurney

4.95/5  rDev +19%

22oz bomber, Rogue Shakespeare Stout.

Appearance:
Deep black color, can't see through the light. Beautiful creamy tan head, lacing looks awesome on the glass.

Smell:
Tons of roasted malts in the nose, coffee, some dark chocolate, some dark fruit, a little nutty. Smell very delicious!!!

Taste/Mouthfeel:
Strong roasted malts up front... Coffee, dark chocolate, some nutty and little burnt caramel. Hops blend in very well, earthly, slight floral. I get some dark fruit, dried prune mostly. There's some smoked mesquite in the middle. Finish off very smooth with nice roasted aftertaste that lingers very nice. Body is very creamy.

Drinkability:
Extremely high. Probably the most smoothest stout I've ever drank, you can't go wrong with this brew!!

04-01-2009 17:18:19 | More by mjurney
EagleTalon

Arkansas

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

Thick and opaque with a dense ring of brown foam forming around the glass. Aroma is of roasted barley and caramel malt sweetness with coffee, chocolate, hop and vanilla notes underneath--very inviting. Flavor is balanced between roastiness, caramel sweetness, dark-chocolatelike bitterness and the underlying bitterness of the hops. Pleasantly bitter and roasty finish with residual sweetness to make the lips and tongue smack. This is one damn good beer! The ultimate beer drinker's beer.

In my opinion, no other stout in the world compares as far as I have tasted. This is the best stout I have tasted, bar none. Get some now!

09-27-2002 10:37:06 | More by EagleTalon
mhewes

Colorado

A : Poured a dark brown with an incredibly creamy tan head. Lots of lacing

S : Roasted malts, coffee, chocolate

T : Good creamy flavor that's just full of roasted malts. Good coffee flavor in there also. A nice bitter chocolate on the finish to round things out

M : Creamy, full-bodied

D : A great stout on nitro. One of the easiest drinking ones I have ever had.

Serving type: nitro-tap

09-03-2008 21:10:46 | More by mhewes
mcsquint

Missouri

4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a mug.
A - Opaque black with thick, creamy tan head that lasted a long while.
S - Smells of malt,chocolate,coffee and hops
T - Unbelievable taste! Malty chocolate,oats and coffee surprisingly well balanced with the Cascade hops.
M - Full, thick mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation.
D - This is one of the best tasting stouts I've had the pleasure of drinking.

09-29-2008 23:22:33 | More by mcsquint
esprit

United States

If you love Stout, you have to love this one....the Irish should be ashamed and turn to Portland, Oregon to satisfy their love for a style that their own breweries have long forgotten how to make. Both the Shakespeare and it's seasonal variant Wild Irish Rogue are stunning examples of what you can do with dark roasted malts and a love of the brewing art.

01-30-2001 13:32:38 | More by esprit
John

This beer is truly a force to be reckoned with. A remarkable stout. Another big winner in the Rogue portfolio.

09-25-2001 09:27:04 | More by John