Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,564 | Hads: 3,220
4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

I am a real beer novice. This being one of my very first gourmet brews. I may not have all the terminology down yet but I will try my best to give my impressions about this wonderful beer.

A - Poured very dark almost black very much like a melted chocolate syrup almost into a thick almost 2 inch head creamy brown head that lasted several minutes

S - The smell was aromatic with chocolate overtones and with a hint of spices and nutty smells (it was awesome)

T - Taste was very velvety and smooth had a wonderful chocolate up front and then moving to just a bit of the more bitter hoppy flavors I guess.

M - This was very creamy and smooth felt very full in the mouth was thick and very pleasant

D - I don't know what to say other than I enjoyed every sip of this wonderful beer

Like I said I'm new to this so I won't pretend to be an expert by any means but this was one of my first what I would call more obscure (at least to the average consumer) beers and it was a wonderful experience. I would highly recommend this beer any time (1,053 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a pitch black with a 2 finger + head. Excellent carbonation retention in this beer, I'm guessing from the amount of hops used as indicated by the label. Miss the nice cascade found in many stouts, but oh well, pretty darn beautiful.

For the aroma I get green olives (canned), coffee, bitter roasted oatmeal and barley, bitter baker's cocoa. There is a bright hoppiness under the malts and I can definitely taste the cascade hops (also indicated on the ingredients list). The tangy hops mixed with the bitter malts presents a range of flavor combinations not readily found in Russian Imperials or English stouts. Go America!

A really interesting and complex taste. I perceive canned olives once again, almost burnt whole grain toast, dark chocolate consisting of a cocoa ratio of 70% +, and a cinnamon/pepper combination that resembles both and tastes like neither, and coffee (though not espresso as is popular these days). I realize the roasted barley and the oats (though I get more barley than oat which I kinda like as oats are sometimes too astringently bitter for my personal taste), cascade hops, and underneath a bevy of different malts (crystal and chocolate, though to varying degrees).

Mouthfeel is perfect, or as close as I've experienced. Hops give this brew excellent carbonation retention while thickening the beer enough to be velvety smooth. I also think that there is more roasted barley than oats in this one and if so, the malts contribute a much thinner body than usual for a heavy stout, which is balanced nicely by the hops. If there were more oats (keeping in mind this is my estimation) the mouthfeel would have been overwhelmingly syrupy.

A highly drinkable stout! I think what throws people off is the hoppiness which is unexpected in a stout. What these people aren't noticing is that this is an American Stout, so it makes sense for it to be different. I've had other cascade-hopped stouts (by Rock Bottom in Palos Park, Illinois and Goose Island in Chicago, Illinois) and this is by far the best. Its unexpected and balanced well. This brew gets so much better as it warms up so please try not to gulp it all down to hastily. A stout to make even the most earnest liberal climb on their roof and shout, "Go America!" (2,258 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

The bottle says "ebony" and boy do they tell it like it is, dark and the day before creation this one is. A dirty, cola colored head as well that creates a union of the darkest proportions.
The smell is quite good, with cola, coffee, toffee, unsweetened chocolate and (i'll be damned) mud permeating throughout. The citric acid here is a bit too dominant as you get through the beer.
This beer is nice and salty on the front (which reminds me of coastal pacific waters) with the coffee/toffee and cream flavors coming out to play throughout the mouth. Hops are definitly evident, and this is the great, american thing about this beer. It's very bold, yet refined and able to hold itself with the rest of the world's stouts.
The mouthfeel is, quite honestly, perfect. It's lead-heavy, however it doesn't weigh you down, but controls you palette in the most elegant of ways. When you finish the beer the aftertaste moves toward a rennet on the back, like a fine, salty cheese. A nice cream stout moves to a chocolate orange to a fine cheese--you can't ask for much more.
It's drinkability it good, despite the fact that you can really only session one (tops two) of these at a time. The answer to that? One is all you need. 6% ABV didn't seem like alot until about 10 minutes after I finished it, when this issue was resolved for me. Very enjoyable, very drinkable, and very warming. It's the perfect drink if you want high flavor but the humbleness of your beverage to blend in to what else is going on around you (Food, friends, etc.). Not much wrong here, not much at all. Can't wait to try this gem on tap. (1,615 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

Wow, This beer pours an incredible dark brown which is just a few shades short of black. The generous and rocky head is also a deep tan that I've rarely seen.

The aroma is that of coffee and toasted malts. You can smell the roasting malts and the citrusy character of the cascade hops.

Tastes so rich and so incredible malty. The roasted flavor covers the palate and rests in the back of the mouth. As the beer goes down the hop bitterness comes into play at equal strength. The malts are not overwhelmed by the hops, and the hops are not overwhelmed by the malts. This is a perfectly balanced beer, and tastes so smooth.

Goes down easy, the carbonation is appropriate for a stout, not too high at all. Feels wonderful in the mouth, this beer is thick, but not syrupy by any means.

Tastes great, smells great, and a joy to look at. I will buy this again and again. (877 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

I've been looking forward to finding this one...

Pours black as death with a small ruby/brown head. The head is creamy a dissipates fairly quickly but looks like some is trying to hang on to the side.

The smell is more noticeable than many beers I've had lately. Mostly like a mocha coffee smell, maybe a touch sweeter. A little toasty malt smell in there too.

The taste goes through many nice stages throughout the drink. The mild coffee taste starts in front and some candy sweetness in the back. The aftertaste really pays off with the chocolate and a bit more of the coffee. A wonderful taste.

This is a little more carbonated than most stouts. Might be the only thing even slightly wrong with this brew, and it isn't bad. It still goes down great and the taste doesn't hurt it.

Not much to say about drinkability. This bomber was great....and I so wish I had another. This has great taste without being too hard on your head. Great for sessions!

A couple of quick postscripts: 1) This is warming a bit and getting even better. 2) If you're in the KC area I found this at the south Gomer's, my first sighting of this great brew. (1,150 characters)

Served in a pint glass.

It's great we start with the appearance because this is what I like most about Rogue's Shakespeare Stout. This is what the beer of my dreams looks like, when I'm asleep and two gorgeous beer angels come down from heaven with a pint glass. The glass is filled with something that looks just like this. It's a dark stout that absorbs all light. The 3-4 finger caramel-colored head has great retention and leaves lacing as you drink.

The smell is also exquisite. The bitter hops smell is present, but this is offset perfectly by a sweet and malty chocolate smell. It's very well balanced and smells like expensive coffee ice cream.

If I had to mark this down it's because the bitterness, to me, overpowered the sweeter aspects. So, while the balance isn't quite perfect, the flavors are still there in all their glory. There is a bitter coffee taste that is still present long after you drink, but there is a certain smooth sweetness that is present throughout, making this very enjoyable to drink.

The feel is very smooth with just the slightest bit of carbonation. It is rich and thick, which I like about stouts.

The drink itself is terrific. The rich characteristics of the beer make it a real treat. It is bold and very creamy. Great beer. (1,270 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +14.1%

The beer smells good, but can't match the marvelous toffee, chocolate and coffee flavors that emerge. Suitable for both bar drinking or as a dessert. Another masterwork from Rogue. (182 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +14.1%

Oh my gosh, this was a good beer. I'm a huge stout fan to start with, but this is a great stout. The appearance was great. It was like a big black mass topped by a lightly colored chocolate milkshake. The head was very creamy, especially considering it wasn't nitrous dispensed. Allergy season is kicking in right now so I couldn't get much out of the smell, but what I did get was nice. The taste is great, a little more roasted/burned bitterness than most of the other stouts I've tried, but it was backed up by a full, rich flavor. Combined with the mouthfeel it tasted like a drinking a glass of thin chocolate milk with a good bit less lactic sweetness (although I may have picked up some of that) and a healthy shot of dark chocolate espresso. This beer would be frightening if nitrous dispensed. (802 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +14.1%

Ahh, Shakespeare Stout. My favorite of all stouts. Why, you ask? This is a beer that proves that less really can be more. This beer, for me, is one that all other American stouts are measured against.

Shakespeare Stout is the color of midnight with a small, everlasting tan head that contrasts brilliantly with the beer below. I drank a 22oz bomber out of a large pint glass and the head never faltered in close to an hour. Amazing, really.

Smell is subdued; nothing fancy here. Mild chocolate, espresso, malt, maybe some honey. Not nearly as aromatic as some other Rogue beers.

On first sip, a tingly bite leaps into your mouth and fades into intense roasted malt, coffee and cocoa flavors. Marvelous mouthfeel -- rich and smooth. This one actually made my mouth water after the first taste. That, my friends, is a good beer. The aftertaste lasts a long while, daring you to fill your mouth again. This stout is close to perfection in my book. My main beef is that isn't sold in 6-packs.

This is a classic stout. Not overly complex, no gimmicks, no weird additions. Simply fresh, delightful taste. Balance in a bottle. Highest recommendation. (1,155 characters)

650ml bottle

Pours a nearly-solid syrupy black with creamy tan head and light to moderate lace. The aroma is sweet toasted coffee and carmel malts with some underlying hop flower sharpness. Flavor starts with caramel malts which develop into very deep burnt bread with fairly restrained balancing hop finish. Leaves a *very* long bitter chocolate and burnt toast after-taste. Extremely clean and appetizing flavor. Chewy, creamy, and substantial medium-heavy body, yet very clean and drinkable.

I found the bottled version significantly more interesting than what I've tried on-tap. The draft is smoother and creamier in body, but the bottled has more robust flavor and smell and better overall balance IMHO. (714 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%

Like most Rogues Ive had on tap my only complaint is the lack of carbonation.

The aroma is stunning. It has so many layers. Chocolate, coffee, citrus, melon, a hint of yeasty bready goodness, just to name a few.

The taste is possibly even more complex. I have this one anywhere from one to three times a week at my local taproom and it seems to vary a little with every keg. Most interesting of recent was the aftertaste of honeydew and a bit more roasted dryness in the finish. Lots of green grapefruity hops, cocoa, coffee, and sweet bread.

Obviously it's solid black.

It's nice and heavy in the mouth, on the pleasant side of sweet, not a lot of carbonation, but with a beer this heavy you don't want to many bubbles lest you get prematurly blotted. It has a long finish that you taste well into the night, even if you drink other beers after it.

I tend to get full after about two pints, but I can usually squeeze in a third. (936 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%

22 oz. bomber served at cellarish temps in a pint glass.

Appearance: Black as ebon, surmounted by a light brown head of thick, rocky, and dense bubbles. A thick film of bubbles stuck around as I joyously drank the bottle.

Smell: Prunes, vanilla, fertile humus, faint whiffs of hops and oats. Dense and complex, far better than some imperial stouts that I've had.

Taste: Intense roasted malt flavors, like a nice cup of bitter dark espresso. Pruny dark chocolate malts underlying all this. Piney cascades on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Talk about yer "vim and vigor." The real reason those words had to be crossed off DFH's WWS was the BATF having one of these puppies. Big and hearty mouthfeel.

Drinkability: One burly-ass stout. A roid-ragin', VW-van bench-pressin' drink. I likey.

Other: I remember the first time I had Shakespeare Stout was in 1996 or thereabouts. I was in NYC on a choir tour and went with a lady friend who loved beer to a nice restaurant where we shared a bottle of this with our meal. We both took a whiff and were amazed. My first words were, "Smells like dirt, and I mean the fertile black stuff we get out in Iowa." This was meant as a complement, and is something I'll stand by. (1,220 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +14.4%

A solid stout with a near black appearance and a chocolate smell sure to please any chocoholic. It doesn't stop there: the taste of chocolate is prevelent in the taste (though not as strong as the beer's brother: Rogue chocolate stout) . There is a light coffee and slightly more noticeable caramel overtone. A rich, thick mouthfeel, it is a beer that you can drink as a session beer. (384 characters)

US Trip Aug-Nov 04

A very deep almost jet black colour with a dark brown/tan head. Good slow carbonation.

This is without a doubt one of the best smelling stouts I've ever come across. Rich chocolate and coffee malt aromas mingle beautifully with some piney hops, that also have some tight floral notes to them as well.

The palate is insainly espresso and burnt/toast flavours, with a strong hoppy kick in the back. Brilliant mouthfeel with a roundness that counters the almost tart dryness of this brew. A top notch stout worth pondering existence over. Drink slowly and enjoy.

This was my last bottle of Rogue on my trip and boy was she a killer, the pick of the lot of the Rogue stable which is saying alot as these guys were one of my favourite overall breweries during my stay (and who knows, if I tried more of their brews they might be outright first) (870 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +14.6%

I feel compelled to write a poem in honor of the great bard and namesake of this beautiful brew. But Alas I am neither the poet, nor the writer that legendary bard was, so I shall keep it simple in my review.

This Rogue casts forth darkness from the bottle that would conceal any Roguish behavior like a moonless, cloud covered night. The only light that shall pass through this dark cavern passes through the caramel colored thick, creamy head that is riddled with craters and caves.

A bouquet of burnt caramel and roasted malt come forth while aromas of coffee, chocolate, and light floral hops steal through and will pass unobserved unless a cautious guard is in place. Remember we are dealing with a Rogue in the truest sense that will try to beguile you at every turn.

With the taste this Rogue turns on a smoothness designed to lull you into a comfort and easiness around this brew. But beware for to much of anything can be dangerous, especially with a rascal like this Stout. Like many of the legendary Bard?s tales, this Stout starts with a semi-sweetness that conceals a bitterness to come. Smooth throughout, with no plot holes or disappointments this Rogue continues with flavors of coffee, chocolate, bitter hops, and a dryness that continues into more hop fashioned bitterness.

This is a truly legendary brew and well deserving of its name. The Great Bard would be proud that his Rogue bears his name. (1,427 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a 16 oz snifter, not sure when ur was bottled. Why Rogue Why! Give us a date please! Pours so dark and a incredible mocha head. The most impressive looking regular stout I have ever seen. Smell is chocolate, toffee, roasted coffee beans, and vanilla. Taste is what you expect from the nose, but this is a complex 6.1% Seriously amazing this stout is only a regular stout, drinks like milk shake. Body is very big for its just above average abv. For me this is the gold standard of oatmeal stouts, wow so special. On tap even better, that is a side note, but almost every beer is better on tap. (605 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +14.9%

Serving type: 22oz. Bomber served in a 16oz shaker.

Appearance: I had to force a head with a second pour. It was probably not worth the effort either, because it yielded a short, quickly dissipating, creamy tan head. It did leave a nice coat of lacing on my glass though.

Smell: My sniffer is happy! Roasted malts, chocolate, and floral hops aroma.

Taste: Wow! extremely smooth. Different from what I had expected. Bittersweet chocolate, roasted malt, and coffee, with some earthy undertones. Harsh hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, dry bitter finish.

Drinkability/Overall: Surprisingly smooth and well balanced. This is the epitome of American Stouts! (677 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Ahhh Shakespeare Stout...I've been waiting awhile to try this one. Pours from the bomber a thick old motor oil black with a beautiful dark tan head. This brew is night. Roasted oats, molasses and cocoa waft up into my nose from the glass. Spicy citrus hop undertones as well...nose candy.

The first sip ignites with roasted, even a bit smoky oat tones rolled up with bitersweet chocolate, roasted coffee, molasses, raisins and just a slight hint of bitter citric hoppiness. Nirvana in a glass...simply stout-tastic.

Mouthfeel is creamy, lush and full. Shakespeare commands you to drink! Drinkability is marvelous as well. Can there be a reason to stop drinking this....I didn't think so. One of the best straight up stouts I've yet to have...props to Rogue. Highly recommended...a brew to be reckoned with. (812 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Pours an oily, black with a one finger head that lasts for a bit, no lacing.
Smell is of malt, malt, malt and some ripe, dark fruit with a bit of chocolate.
Taste is incredible sweet, dark, roasted malt, just as it starts to finish there is ripe dark fruits, then quickly followed by bitter, dry, chocolate, exspresso at the very end and stays forever. I Love a good stout!!!
Mouthfeel is full bodied and robust, creamy, nice carbination.
Drinkability is quite nice I could put few of these away sitting by a nice campfire in front of the family cottage with a gentle breeze coming off of the small, clear, spring fed lake under the Northern Michigan fall moon.

I have yet to find a Rogue product I don't like. This, however, is probably the best stout I have ever placed my hands on. (791 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Dark chocolate silk with just enough complexity to always be interesting yet not so intense so as to lose drinkability. This is THE session stout. Aroma is chocolate-covered black raspberries. The roastedness is strong but melds seamlessly with the other flavors of caramel and hops. Yes, the hops are there, just like we expect from Rogue, but they are not overly fruity. Their flavor adds earthiness and life to the aroma and a vinous depth to the flavor. Body is medium-thin, but the low carbonation stops it from feeling at all fizzy. Lingering bitterness and roasted acidity tantalize the taste buds for another sip. Oh yeah, this is nice. (644 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

This is an excellent stout! 22 oz "bomber". Pours out black with a thick, medium brown head. Aroma combines sweet scents of chocolate, caramel, oats and coffee. Mouthfeel is smooth, creamy and full-bodied. Tastes are of chocolate, oatmeal, coffee and roasted malts. There's a smoky bitterness in the finish. This is the first Rogue beer that I've tried and I have to admit that I'm very impressed. (405 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

This is an exceptionally well-balanced stout -- simply delicious. Shakespeare Stout pours black, like a well-seasoned skillet, with a luscious mocha-brown head. The nose is dark and woodsy, with elements of dark chocolate, rum and, as Riggo has observed, olive (or even olive oil). The flavor profile is, I'll say it again, just exceptionally well-balanced. There are notes of espresso, oats, hops, chocolate and perhaps wild berries, but no single flavor dominates. The mouthfeel is robust, but not heavy, nicely balanced by a surprisingly crisp carbonatation and dry finish. (Even the bottle is great, with a dangerously well-dressed 'rogue' holding up a frothy mug of beer.)

With its subtle flavor, at least for the style, this isn't the biggest stout around and it's not going to assault or overwhelm your tastebuds. But that's just fine by me. In my judgment, this is one of the best beers produced in the U.S. (919 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

22oz. brown bomber with no freshness date I could find.

Poured opaque black with large rocky dark tan colored froth. Foam clings and stays the whole beer. Hints of red shine through when held to light.

Caramel, brown sugar, and a hint of piney hop resin in the nose.

Dreamy smoothness is noticed right off the bat. Burnt toast, espresso, dark chocolate, caramel. Citric and coniferus hops come out in the finish, along with a slightly acrid mouthfeel.

This is the real deal. Bow down to the mo-fo king o' the stouts! (529 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from the bottle(room temp) with a huge head that dimished some but stayed throughout. The colour is the perfect black that you'd expect from a stout.

The smell is of roasted malt but it's by no means a strong aroma.

The taste is of wonderful roasted malt with chocolate notes also well represented and that combination makes for a very drinkeable beer.

This is one hell of a great stout and is one of my favourite brews of *any* style. Find it. Buy it. Enjoy it. (479 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15.8%

A: Dark-chocolate-black topped with 4 fingers of fluffy, brown head that recedes to 1 finger of creamy head. Lacing sticks around for a long time.

S: Sweet scent of caramelized sugar and wisps of light smoke. Fresh hoppy aroma. Dance between sweetness and bitter/crisp hops is elegant and enjoyable.

T: Wow! The brewers at Rogue got this one right. Full, inviting creaminess. Sweet malt and barley linger until they are politely washed away by slightly citrusy hops.

M: Mouth fills with creamy, warming goodness. The finish is very clean with only a slightly hoppy aftertaste.

D: Great session stout. Tons of flavor without too much alcohol. Easy and enjoyable to drink and priced fairly. (700 characters)

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales