1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Shakespeare Oatmeal StoutShakespeare Oatmeal Stout

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,617 | Reviews: 1,516 | Show All Ratings:
ZimZamZoom

West Virginia

3.1/5  rDev -25.5%

Black as black can be, the pint glass accepts this dark pour from a slightly chilled bomber. No you can't see any light through it, and the rich creamy tan head leaves considerable lacing on the glass.

Aroma is bitter chocolate mingled with robust dark roasted coffees, dark malts and some hoppy undertones. There is also a behind the scenes sulfur like aroma, like rotten veggies or something. Not prominent, but definitely there..

Taste has an upfront bitterness that encircles a nice roasty malt profile, some coffee bean and chocolate notes are there as well. It somehow sours right before the finish and then goes dry and bitter in the end.

Body is fairly big for a 6% stout. Somewhat smooth without a lot of noticeable carbonation. Not a terribly drinkable beer in my opinion. I will be nursing the rest of this bomber.

01-04-2009 22:23:04 | More by ZimZamZoom
KBomb

3.13/5  rDev -24.8%

Shakespeare stout pours thick and dark with abundant tan head. Mega-lacing won't go away. Smell is moderate to mild; mostly roasted barley, a little dark-chocolate bitterness, and a hint of licorice. Flavor is marked by strongly roasted barley (perhaps too roasted) and a pretty notable bite of hops. Shakespeare runs a little dry and a little chewy, and is quite filling.

There is a lot to admire about this brew, but I think as a matter of personal preference I like my stouts a little smoother and sweeter. I detect perhaps some "over-roasting" has taken place in the barley, nearly a "burnt" taste. A little too much cascade hops for the style might have pushed this out of my taste preference. I really like some Rouge beers, but something feels a little wrong about this one.

04-22-2009 01:30:05 | More by KBomb
Trappissed

3.13/5  rDev -24.8%

Kind of disappointed with this one. Mostly roasted bitter coffee. A little dark chocolate around the middle. Many better stouts out there. Some bitter astringency on the finish. I'll pass on this next time. I thought this would be much better based on the reviews and the fact that I really enjoy the Chocolate Stout and the Hazelnut Brown.

08-30-2009 06:30:22 | More by Trappissed
sweemzander

3.13/5  rDev -24.8%

22oz. bottle poured into a nonic.

(A)- Pours a fairly thick pitch black color that produced a good tan foamy head with good retention. Some lacing here and there.

(S)- A tad dry. A very mellow roasted profile. Hints of cocoa and molasses with a nutty creaminess.

(T)- Same as the smell. A mellow roastedness with cocoa and molasses. That same nutty creaminess to it. A bit bitter on the finish.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Mellow and smooth, except for that rather dry bitter, almost acrid finish.

(D)- A decent all-around stout. For the style and $$ however, I will look elsewhere.

12-07-2010 18:33:08 | More by sweemzander
zhanson88

3.13/5  rDev -24.8%

Appearance: Shakespeare Stout pours out nearly black with a full 3 fingers of mocha colored head. Retention is very good, and lacing is very abundant.

Smell: Roasted malts, charcoal, and burned toast form the base of the smell of this beer. Coffee follows, with some pretty strong hop notes on the back end. Honestly, this beer just smells like burned....something. There's not any sweetness to it. Just a burned smell and some hops.

Taste: There's more of the smell in the taste. Roasted malts and burned toast with some coffee. Some noteworthy hops on the back end. Once again, that burned taste really hangs around on this beer. No sweetness from the oats in the beer or anything to balance it out.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This beer is between medium and full bodied, and fairly smooth drinking overall. This beer has been given pretty solid reviews by many people. I just don't find it that appealing.

12-25-2010 06:26:20 | More by zhanson88
kbrady9

3.13/5  rDev -24.8%

Bought a bomber at my local bottle shop.

A- Good looking stout. It pours very dark, essentially black. A nice, full, dense head that is a fairly dark brown. The head dissipates within a minute or two with nice lacing on the glass.

S-Pretty good aroma. Smells of mocha and some nuttiness, but with a very nice malty body. Can't smell any hops or much alcohol on the back end.

T-The mocha, coffee like flavor hits immediately with the alcohol taking over soon thereafter. The alcohol is a bit overbearing and it lingers for a significant period of time after it goes down. The body doesn't have much sweetness to it in order to help mask some of the strong alcohol flavors.

M-The body does not live up to what the aroma promises. The beer feels unnaturally light going down with the alcohol overpowering the rest of the flavors. Alcohol lingers at the end.

D-I expected much more from this beer. Not something I would purchase again, whether it be in a bottle or on tap anywhere.

03-08-2011 02:53:55 | More by kbrady9
cleve00

3.14/5  rDev -24.5%

Poured to a mason jar

A – black opaque with a 1 finger beige head that lingers and dissipates slowly . Some lacing.

S – Roasted malts, very little coffee , maybe even some fruitiness/raisin,plum.

T- Roasted malts, , faint nuttiness. bitterness that lingers throughout. No pleasantries just left with a bitter aftertaste.

MF – mild dry finish, carbonation is a little much. This is my first Oatmeal Stout. I will be in pursuit of more Oatmeal Stouts to compare it to.

Summary: the price point was right for sure, but if the taste isn't there i wont go back.

**I enjoyed the Roguee Chocolate Stout much more:)

08-28-2013 16:51:14 | More by cleve00
Goliath

3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Pours black and completely opaque with a one inch dark brown head on top. Good retention, and a bit of fine lacing.

The aroma is ok. Some chocolate and coffee, with a bit of an earthy, citrusy/piney hop profile in the distant background.

The taste is ok. Some roasted and burnt malt, old coffee, and slightly bitter. A faint hop presence appears every now and again. Not nearly as good as I thought it would be.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied and highly carbonated.

Drinkability is moderate. Flavor is ok, and alcohol is fairly low making for easy drinking. I'm disappointed with this beer though, and the body is too thin. This beer is really average, I'm shocked it rates so high.

10-01-2008 20:34:23 | More by Goliath
comfortablynumb1

3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured from a bomber into a Miami Dolphins pint glass...

A - Poures black with a three finger dark tan head. Good head retention, and good amount lacing with this one. Might pour the next pint a little less agressive...

S - Lots of dark roasted and chocolate notes come through. Also get a hint of citrus...

T - Pretty much follows the nose. Dark chocolate and a good bitter taste of coffee followed by citrus hops. Not a big fan of the finishing hops they used in this one. A little to much citrus hoppy taste for the sytle...

M - Medium bodied with a small amount of carbonation. Was hoping for a fuller creamier body. A little watered down for my taste.

D - Remember enjoying this one more than I did this time. Not to impressed. Probably won't be buying again...

Cheers...

09-17-2010 03:04:54 | More by comfortablynumb1
maltmelon

New Mexico

3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. From the fridge, let it warm for approx. 15 min.

A - Dark, dark brown. About a 1/2 inch of sand-colored head. Medium lacing.
S - Slightly toasty.
T - Seemed a bit on the hoppy side for what I'd expect from a stout. Got some of the toastiness too, but the hops were a little overwhelming.
M - Light carbonation, neither thin not thick.
O - Nothing to get either really excited about or complain about. Very average, I might feel better about it if it wasn't so pricey. Would have preferred to taste the malt more.

05-12-2011 21:09:35 | More by maltmelon
LarryKemp

3.18/5  rDev -23.6%

I begin this review by saying that I am not a Rogue fan nor do I like overowering hops. This beer came from the tap with a good head and a deep dark color. The lace clung to the sides of the glass. The hops attacked my nose and kept whatever malt from coming in. The bitterness on the tongue blasted away the sweet chocolate I thought I could taste in the background. The beer was so hoppy that this business kept the mouthfeel deep in the background. At best, I would rate this as a specialty beer and hope that no one tryig their first stout would tackle this hop monster.

04-30-2003 19:07:56 | More by LarryKemp
gameface23

3.18/5  rDev -23.6%

Pours black with a really nice tan head. There is nothing wrong with the way this beer looks in a glass. The aroma is pretty dissappointing; Notes of smokey malts gives way to bitter chocolate the more it warms up. The taste is diluted dark chocolate. Dissapointing, watery mouthfeel.

09-11-2008 02:24:45 | More by gameface23
Lerxst

On nitro-tap at Kickbacks

A-Black as night with a inch and a half creamy khaki head that has good retention and leaves some nice lacing. Looks really good.

S-Understated and tame. Some roasted malt and hints of dark chocolate and coffee. Nose needs to be more prominent.

T-Bready malt, hints of chocolate and coffee as the nose suggested, a somewhat sour, astringent back end that isn't very pleasant.

M-Rich and creamy.

D-The sour and astringent back end really hurt the drinkability.

Serving type: nitro-tap

01-08-2011 19:33:37 | More by Lerxst
DavoleBomb

3.18/5  rDev -23.6%

Had this from the handpump into a mug.

3.5 A: Black with a creamy brown cask head. Average retention and no lacing.

3.5 S: Some chocolate, oats, and yeast. Overall, rather dry and unassuming.

3.0 T: Pretty boring. Oats, somewhat chalky dryness, and woody yeast. Light roastiness.

3.5 M: Medium body. Good carbonation for cask. However, it not ridiculously creamy like a lot of beers from cask. Otherwise, okay.

3.0 D: Not bad, but probably the worst cask beer I've ever had. Just not enough flavor going on.

Serving type: cask

03-26-2011 17:03:30 | More by DavoleBomb
FtownThrowDown

3.2/5  rDev -23.1%

After reading several good things written about this beer I thought I would give it a try.
I'm all about dark, coffee/chocolate stouts, so I figured this would be right up my alley.
Upon pouring, I wasn't disappointed. It looked like it should. Dark opaque, almost black, thick, no problems there.
The taste is where it didn't live up in my opinion. For one, I like my stouts to be more smooth, less hoppy. There was a nice hint of chocolate mid way through each drink, which was subtle and very well done.
It's easily drinkable. But a bit of a disappointment for a stout. It tasted more like a hoppy porter. Reminded me of the Great Divide St Bridgettes Porter.
Oh well, nothing lost, it was a $3.99 bomber. To each his own, just not to my liking.

09-11-2006 17:10:54 | More by FtownThrowDown
brdc

Wisconsin

3.2/5  rDev -23.1%

This one pours a nice black beer with a nice brown head.
Aroma is pleasant, but in my opinion, uncharacteristic of the style and overly hopped, with minimal maltiness, although some caramels can be noticed here and there.
Taste is mostly bitter, and again in my opinion, a little bit overhopped, with some overpowered maltiness in there.
Mouthfeel is generally good, but I still thought this one a was too hoppy and did not finish the bottle.
I know many will disagree.

05-22-2007 14:48:33 | More by brdc
dsa7783

3.2/5  rDev -23.1%

Bought a 1 pint, 6 fl. oz bottle of this from Bottle King in Livingston for about $5.99, and I must say, coming from a high-caliber company like Rogue's, I really wasn't too impressed with this Stout sample... expected more, and was let down by an overall lack of flavor and complexity... appearance was about average, poured a jet-black, ebony color with minimal tan head... smell was complete with burnt, dark chocolate, espresso, and liquorice aromas... taste was typical stout, with dark-espresso and cocoa flavors that was more bitter than sweet... Taste seemed pretty watered-down and somewhat more bland than I was expecting...definitely had much better stouts before this, and the overall taste was more average than anything else... I wouldn't say this was a bad brew, just wasn't to my liking and not one I would try again... Wouldn't recommend this one...

01-13-2008 21:29:24 | More by dsa7783
Jimmys

22oz bottle into tulip.

A: thick coffee hued head sits atop an opaque black body. decent retention with some pretty, thick lacing.

S: a distinctive lactose. milk chocolate. really creamy milk chocolate. a hint of cappuccino, but this one is all about the milk & chocolate smells.

T: creamy and chewy all at once. a mellow roast. slight acidity from the darker burnt malts. finish is a little sweet but mostly dry. good flavor, but not as oatmeal like as i would have hoped.

M: a bit to vivacious carbonation for my liking. medium body.

D: i remember this being better in my early craft beer days, but i have a few complaints here. just not as smooth and creamy oat flavor on the palate as well as a carbonation that detracts from some of the lighter nuances. not sure what the deal is. certainly a fan of many things rogue, but not loving this.

10-28-2011 01:56:47 | More by Jimmys
thatguy314

3.23/5  rDev -22.4%

Let me start this off by saying I love everything Rogue. Sadly I'm just underwhelmed. I think this bottle may be a bit old, but with what I drank I can't possibly see why everyone rates it so well

Appearance: So black I couldn't see even a hint of light through it when i held it next to a 60W bulb. The head betrayed it... too foamy, too lacey, not thick like you'd expect from such a dark stout.
Smell: burt and woody, a hint of ash, a bit dirt
Taste: Kinda plain. Burnt, a bit ashy. Also it's dark. And burnt. And ashy
Mouthfeel: very thin for a stout. Not entirely unpleasant. I could drink a lot more of this than most stouts, not cuz it's good, but because it has a nice dark flavor without really filling me up at all.
Finish: Clean, plain. Not bad.

Also, I = we....
JB&KW

10-18-2007 02:23:12 | More by thatguy314
bewley

Oregon

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

I'm not impressed with this beer. It seems more like a bock than a stout. The thick, creamy head appeared promising, but fell flat within a minute or so.

Yes, there's subtle hints of chocolate and coffee. Yes, there is a deep dark color and rich head, but the taste is rather dry and bitter. Too light for a stout imo.

I will say that this would be a good session beer for all of the above observations.

01-20-2004 02:24:21 | More by bewley
LilBeerDoctor

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

Bottle. Pours black with a thick light tan head that just keeps coming. Aroma of roasted malt. Flavor of sweet roasted malt. Body is somewhat light for a stout but it's decent. An alright stout. Not much going on flavor-wise.
Aroma: 7/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 6/10
Palate: 3/5
Overall: 14/20
3.4/5

12-08-2008 02:59:36 | More by LilBeerDoctor
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

Hmm, an American stout... haven't had a small stout in awhile, but here we go.

Poured into darkness snifter.

Pours about a finger and a half of a dull mocha brown, very murky colored. Decent retention with some thick lace patterns. I haven't seen a head with this color is awhile. Color is a dark dark brown, call it black.

Aroma: Big roasted malt profile, with a nice touch of grassy hops present. A lot of chocolate, caramel, molasses, and oats.

Taste: Very sweet and syrupy. The hops are there with all the roasted malts and things are matching up very well here. I get the oats, caramel, and chocolate again. This is really hard to drink.

Mouthfeel: Tons of carbonation here, full bodied. Not even that smooth or silky for a stout. This beer just isn't clicking.

Overall, I have a feeling I won't be able to finish this, and if I do it will take me several hours. This beer doesn't flow at all. Maybe I got a bad bottle, in which I will reevaluate next time I drink it, but this beer isn't very good at all. I can't recommend this even in the slightest way.

11-07-2009 01:42:58 | More by mothman
NilocRellim

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Stout poured out from the bottle extremely black in colour. There was no hint of clarity to it when held up to the light. Smelled of sweet, dark malt notes, which carried over into the taste. Tasted sweet, dark, and malty with notes of chocolate. Bitter chocolate finish. Roasty aftertaste.

Would I buy this beer again? Maybe.

01-17-2013 20:52:06 | More by NilocRellim
johnbonham1980

Idaho

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%

I've been drinking Shakespeare Stout for years but hadn't had one for awhile... I have to admit, while it's good, it's not the amazing experience that I remember. I think that I've gotten to enjoy stouts less and less over the years...

Poured with a medium brown stupendous head that lasted for quite awhile... pitch black in color.

Aroma is fairly non descript, with roasty and coffee notes predominant as well as a definite hop presence.

Taste is composed of a few elements, chiefly coffee and dark chocolate, with some very interesting spicy hop notes that taste a little of black pepper or chile pepper... hard to say exactly what it is that's in there but it adds a nice twist. It's also got some dark cherry to the flavor and I can definitely taste the oatmeal stout character from the oatmeal Rogue adds to it.

Mouthfeel's a bit thinner than I'd ask for... fairly drinkable.

I had this with a bit of gouda... didn't really add much to the flavor. I think this would be best enjoyed with a bit of sweet chocolate, or a steak.

Overall a good stout, but I find myself finding the standard stout less and less likeable over the years and finding imperial and Russian stouts much more interesting.

12-04-2006 02:23:01 | More by johnbonham1980
9InchNails

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured into my mug from a 22 ounce bottle.

I got a lot a head on this. The head looks creamy, almost like a chocolate milk shake! The head is sticking around for quite some time. The beer is black, completely opaque. I can't see any bubbles whatsoever.

I smell dark malts and it seems almost like a floral smell, quite interesting. Definitely a little chocolate in there.

Mouth Feel: I feel no carbonation at. Its very thick and a little creamy. Okay, I do feel a little more carbonation on the second sip hitting my tongue.

Taste: a chocolate-ty coffee taste with a bitter end. You can definitely taste the dark malts but also some of the hops are pretty dominate.

Drink Ability: I can probably have one more and I'm done.

I have never tasted this beer before. I have had an Oatmeal Stout before and it tastes similar to that. Overall it's pretty good.

11-02-2010 05:14:40 | More by 9InchNails