Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,564 | Hads: 3,221
3.26/5  rDev -21.8%

I've been drinking Shakespeare Stout for years but hadn't had one for awhile... I have to admit, while it's good, it's not the amazing experience that I remember. I think that I've gotten to enjoy stouts less and less over the years...

Poured with a medium brown stupendous head that lasted for quite awhile... pitch black in color.

Aroma is fairly non descript, with roasty and coffee notes predominant as well as a definite hop presence.

Taste is composed of a few elements, chiefly coffee and dark chocolate, with some very interesting spicy hop notes that taste a little of black pepper or chile pepper... hard to say exactly what it is that's in there but it adds a nice twist. It's also got some dark cherry to the flavor and I can definitely taste the oatmeal stout character from the oatmeal Rogue adds to it.

Mouthfeel's a bit thinner than I'd ask for... fairly drinkable.

I had this with a bit of gouda... didn't really add much to the flavor. I think this would be best enjoyed with a bit of sweet chocolate, or a steak.

Overall a good stout, but I find myself finding the standard stout less and less likeable over the years and finding imperial and Russian stouts much more interesting. (1,217 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured into my mug from a 22 ounce bottle.

I got a lot a head on this. The head looks creamy, almost like a chocolate milk shake! The head is sticking around for quite some time. The beer is black, completely opaque. I can't see any bubbles whatsoever.

I smell dark malts and it seems almost like a floral smell, quite interesting. Definitely a little chocolate in there.

Mouth Feel: I feel no carbonation at. Its very thick and a little creamy. Okay, I do feel a little more carbonation on the second sip hitting my tongue.

Taste: a chocolate-ty coffee taste with a bitter end. You can definitely taste the dark malts but also some of the hops are pretty dominate.

Drink Ability: I can probably have one more and I'm done.

I have never tasted this beer before. I have had an Oatmeal Stout before and it tastes similar to that. Overall it's pretty good. (864 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -21.3%

Bottle. Pours black with a thick light tan head that just keeps coming. Aroma of roasted malt. Flavor of sweet roasted malt. Body is somewhat light for a stout but it's decent. An alright stout. Not much going on flavor-wise.
Aroma: 7/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 6/10
Palate: 3/5
Overall: 14/20
3.4/5 (299 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -20.9%

Hmm, an American stout... haven't had a small stout in awhile, but here we go.

Poured into darkness snifter.

Pours about a finger and a half of a dull mocha brown, very murky colored. Decent retention with some thick lace patterns. I haven't seen a head with this color is awhile. Color is a dark dark brown, call it black.

Aroma: Big roasted malt profile, with a nice touch of grassy hops present. A lot of chocolate, caramel, molasses, and oats.

Taste: Very sweet and syrupy. The hops are there with all the roasted malts and things are matching up very well here. I get the oats, caramel, and chocolate again. This is really hard to drink.

Mouthfeel: Tons of carbonation here, full bodied. Not even that smooth or silky for a stout. This beer just isn't clicking.

Overall, I have a feeling I won't be able to finish this, and if I do it will take me several hours. This beer doesn't flow at all. Maybe I got a bad bottle, in which I will reevaluate next time I drink it, but this beer isn't very good at all. I can't recommend this even in the slightest way. (1,067 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -20.6%

Beautiful dark appearance in the glass with an impeccable beige head to match. Bone dry on the palate but a nice sudsy mouthfeel with great carbonation.

The first flavor is bitterness. Dark chocolate and not a hint of sweetness. Overpowering burnt malt taste. Dark, charred flavors, barely a hint of caramel or even burnt sugar.

It is kind of like a nitro pour, with the big creamy foam. It's just so bitter and strongly, severely flavored. From the 22 oz bottle, which cost $7 in San Diego. (495 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -20.6%

22 oz. bottle poured into a tumbler pint glass.

A: Pours a borderline pitch black color. The head is a huge four finger light mocha color with frustratingly high retention, a wonderfully creamy texture, and huge clumps of lacing on the glass.

S: Light oats, mild chocolate, and some solid roastiness. Nice, but a little weaker than I like.

T: At first, it's vaguely sweet, likely from the oats. There's little opening flavor here, it's mostly concentrated after the midtaste and finish, which is not only strong with roast (slightly acrid and excessively strong at times), it also tastes overhopped, to an extent. It's not a well melded hop profile as with Storm King, it's a 'clashing with the stout base' profile. At least the hops don't completely overpower the palate with grapefruit and pine; still, it's hardly a paragon of balance. Finally, enough sips will cause a slight lactic acid 'twang' to accumulate. I expected a lot more from this, but it's decent enough.

M: Creamy at first, before becoming prickly dry with a little lingering stickiness and low carbonation. Little to complain about here, Rogue got this part of the beer right. On the other hand, it's not as drinkable as it should be, but that's due to the unbalanced flavor profile more than anything.

O: I'm wondering if I served this too warm - but then I realized I had Samuel Smith's oatmeal stout at a similar temperature, and was far superior to this in just about every manner. I'd definitely try it again, just to confirm whether or not my fears are true. All in all, it's far from bad, just disappointing. (1,589 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -20.4%

Appearance: 650ml bottle no bottling date. Pours very dark, black. Fine bubbles that dissipate quickly, with a head that is 1 and a half fingers.

Smell: I found the smell to be very faint, but it was of coffee and cocoa with hints of apricots and seltzer water.

Taste: Sweet and like seltzer water on the tip of the tongue. Coffee and cocoa hints on the sides of the tongue, with a slight acidity. Mild hop finish

Mouthfeel: Like seltzer water from the carbonation, not thick or syrupy at all.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable, more than I thought it would be. Does not kill the pallet with coffee or hops notes and could be sipped all night.

I was a little disappointed with this beer, I was hoping for the coffee and cocoa notes to be more present. (756 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I'm really confused here. There's no way this is an oatmeal stout, right? There's no oatmeal flavor or defining sweetness and the body is very very thin. The head was gorgeous and the retention and lacing are on point but flavor-wise its just so dry and thin that my mind is boggled as to how this is an oatmeal stout. Never would have guessed! (344 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -19.9%

Comes in a 650mL pretty plain dark bottle with a very proud man holding a mug. Pours with a small tannish head that reduces to a lace fairly quickly. I really enjoy the opaque darkness and pretty delightful stout mouthfeel. My initial taste impression was burnt, slightly bitter coffee, and a faint chocolate malt taste on the way down. I wasn't too impressed. The bitterness lasted in a long disappointing aftertaste. I know it has it's place, but not a stout I will buy again. I recently had a Storm King Stout that was WAY better than Shakespeare while being higher in ABV. (576 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -19.7%

A very nice dark black color, but disappointingly "thin" looking with not so much head.

Taste is less sweet than I expected, seemed more like a riff on a dry stout. Taste is fairly nice, a little roasted bitterness, some hops, slightly acrid, but again very similar to a dry stout in my opinion. The body/mouthfeel is a little thin -- I was really hoping for something more creamy and full.

Not a bad beer, but didn't really live up to its reputation... (455 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured jet black with a creamy tan head and nice lacing. Hints of caramel, roasted barley in the aroma. Very very smooth with a creamy malty mouthfeel with a blend of roasted barley, malt sweetness and hop bitterness. In the finish is a coffee after taste with a hop bitterness. (278 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This nitro-tapped brew fills the pint glass with creamy near-black goodness capped by a milk-like latte-colored head. The head is not bubbly but instead sits atop the deep dark brown stout like the cream ready to be skimmed off fresh milk. The super-smooth foam cap produced lacing that can hardly be called lacing – it is more like a wall of foam that lines the sides of the glass.

The beer smells nutty with loads of dark chocolate, but American hop presence lends a piney and herbal tone to the aroma. It tastes like black and toasty malts, with some lighter floral notes. Caramel peaks out underneath burnt bitterness and black coffee.

The mouthfeel is medium-full. This one goes down smoothly and leaves a hint of hoppy bitterness, which is somewhat unique among oat stouts. The carbonation is...actually nitrogenation? It is creamier and less prickly than the fizziness to which we have all grown accustomed. Nitro-tap is the new thing for me.

I like this beer; it is comparable with Ninkasi's Oatis for a bitter malty oat stout. I did not even know it was made with oatmeal until typing up my napkin-scribbled review. It tastes like a thick stout with harsh dark-roast coffee bitterness. The American hops are incongruous with the rest of the beer. They should be toned down and perhaps replaced to some extent with Noble hops...or more caramel malt! (1,363 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -18.9%

It pours black with a medium coffee brown head in a La Maudite snifter. Aroma is deep chocolate and coffee. Very nice roasted barley matches solid floral hops. From the first sip, I find it quite sour, reminding me of a Guinness, but much thicker and hoppier. The finish is astringent and ultra dry (bad), but hops are pleasant and the roastiness is perfectly developped (good). Overall, I must say I expected more from Shakespeare Stout. (438 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -18.9%

This is now called Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout for some reason. Cool with me. Served on draft at a local beer bar. Beer is black and forms a thin brown head that breaks quickly. Leaves some but not a lot of lacing on the glass and carbonation is low. The beer is nearly red at the corners of the glass.

Aroma is a mild roast with some side sweetness. Smells fine, could be bigger or have something going on there.

Beer is medium bodied, I was expecting a little more body out of this honestly, I mean its called "Oatmeal" now. Lets do it. Beer is very bitter from the roasted grains, leaves a lingering taste and a graininess in my mouth. It grows in harshness the more I drink. Not my favorite oatmeal stout. (710 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -18.7%

Drank on-tap at Redbones Barbecue, Somerville, MA
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a translucent brown/black with an ultra smooth and creamy, two-finger, coffee-colored head. Thick rings of lacing stuck all down the glass.

The aroma was mild. Semi-sweet initially with subtle notes of powdered cocoa and coffee. A touch of roast was noticeable as well. As the beer warmed, the aroma oddly seemed to fade.

The taste was deep and dark. Somewhat bitter. Roasted malts dominated the flavor profile. Black coffee notes were quite apparent. A dry, oaty quality came through as well. Some smokiness was also detectable. The big, resonating finish was a mix of intense roastiness and bitter, piney hoppiness. Slightly burnt and acrid. This beer was quite bold, but it was not nearly as complex or as smooth as I anticipated.

The mouthfeel was medium/lighter bodied for the style (a touch watery) with a super fine and mild carbonation.

Drinkability was decent. This is a lighter bodied stout that masks its alcohol content quite well. However, the hoppy, bitter finish made this one a sipper.

This is another fine example of an over hopped, over hyped and overpriced beer from Rogue. Although many may disagree, I feel like their time in the craft beer limelight has come and gone. (1,285 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 650ml bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A- poured a very thick light caramel color head that dissipates slowly into a rocky 1 inch head after a few moments. The color is one shade off of the black scale with a slight reddish brown hue.

S- Caramel and chocolate aromas with some slight metallic notes, not off-putting.

T- dark chocolate malt and smoky flavors upfront with a little bitter burnt finish.

M- a pretty decent balance between coating and crisp. There's a little bite to it but enough smooth coating to make it drinkable.

O- I may have had about half a dozen Oatmeal Stouts in my time, so I have not nailed down the definitive character yet, but this is a good cold weather beer. It's a little smokier than I prefer, but the chocolate and roasted malt do come through.

edited 10 minutes later to add that I starting picking up some faint vanilla flavors after the beer sat a minute or two. (920 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -18.5%

22-ounce bottle into a shaker pint.

Pours an inky ebony with nary a highlight in sight. The big, two-inch head of cocoa powder-colored toothpaste froth pops away slowly, becoming a craggy mountain range that that leaves speckles of lace.

The nose: coffee, toast, tangy dark chocolate, some vanilla and oats, and of course, the earthy, almost stale Pacman yeast. I don’t understand why Rogue loves these bugs so much. Despite that, it’s a smooth, deep aroma.

The flavor is a bit more subdued, tasting of light roast coffee, dark chocolate, earthy yeast notes, oats and a subtle tang. Acrid burnt bitterness slides smoothly in after the swallow.

Way, way too thin for an oatmeal stout. The body is light and watery, while the moderate massaging carbonation makes the beer break out in soft fizziness.

A masterpiece Shakespeare ain’t; the flavor's decent but the body's lacking. (890 characters)

Bomber into Imperial Pint

Ebony color with rich browning head.

Immediate roasted aroma. Very close in smell to a smoked beer.

The dark roast dominated the flavor. Hints of chocolate, campfire, cedar, moss.

For a stout with oatmeal to create a creamier texture, it was thin and biting. I have possibly been spoiled by my nitro-homebrew stout I always keep on-tap. But to me, a stout, especially one with oatmeal, should be full and creamy in the mouth, whether nitro or none.

I finished the bottle, but the drinkability was only average. (542 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A-Pours very black-forms a tan head which disappears fast. Some lace is left on the glass.

S- dark roasted malt with some bitterness. You can pick up some moderately strong phenols as well--surprising for a 6% ABV.

T-maybe I am not into Rogue cuz I don't think this is anything special at all. It has your standard micro/brewpub stout taste -- kind of rich and roasty--some coffee/chocolate bitterness again nothing too out of the ordinary.

MF-dry mouthfeel. I like a little more creaminess and fluffiness in a stout.

D- very average. I doubt I will buy this again. (579 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -18%

Pours a rich dark brown with a nice froth. Smells exactly like most stouts--malted with some hints of dark chocolate and honey. A little yeast as well. Taste is very roasty with dark chocolate flavor throughout. There is a hopped zing in the finish, which is subtle but evident. Good. (284 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -18%

Thanks to my good buddy for this treat!

A: Black, thick, with a decent looking 1-finger head. The appearance isn't anything extraordinary, but nothing to frown on either.

S: A nice mix of malts that also appear to have some very faint coffee and dark fruit quality.

T: Not exactly what I was expecting, this brew had a flavor profile more similar to a porter with subtle characteristics of a stout added into it. I couldn't pick up any robust flavors, other than a small amount of espresso towards the end of each sip.

M: A thicker body would have been nicer...ample carbonation...along with a good and slightly burnt finish.

D: I enjoyed the flavor and aroma, but I'm not sure it's anything that I would go crazy over. The alcohol is hidden well.

Overall: A good beer...worth a try. Cheers! (798 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours straight black with a nice full tan head that doesn't last as long as I wish. The head does leave nice lacing behind though. Smellsof dark roasted coffee and a touch of chocolate as well. This beer tastes of roasted coffee with some light hints of chocolate. Has a bit of sweet licoricy finish. Though it's not a favorite of mine, it's still a very solid stout. (367 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -17.7%

I realize this is a well reviewed beer here on Beeradvocate, but in general, I just have to disagree.

Pours with a dark brown/black body, very opaque, and a nice creamy head. Quite attractive. The smell is interesting ... lots of coffee and ... hops?

Flavor is coffee, dark chocolate, but instead of cherries, prunes, or figs, there is a definite mixture of grapefruit-ish hops here. Strange, to say the least. Almost like a stout with more than a few oz. of IPA mixed in. I didn't care for the combination.

I realize this is a low ABV beer, but the mouthfeel and taste were somewhat thin for a beer of this type. A decent stout, but nowhere near one of my favorites. (671 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not a lot of exciting things happening here, pretty standard stout that is basically just toasted malt with a light hop back, a little storebought coffee & chocolate in there as well. Certainly good but fairly run of the mill. (227 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

For the purposes of this review the beer came from a bottle. That is unfortunate as I have had it on tap and recall liking it much better. That may be part of why one might say my scores are a touch low.

Dark brown or light black in color with moderate prickle so that the beer resembles cola in the glass. Very light head and a malty nose with hints of chocolate roasted into the flavor and texture. Fresh and light attack with the roasted coffee and chocolate towards the front end and the bitter towards the finish. The finish is pretty crisp and leaves a little bitter in the aftertaste. (593 characters)

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales