Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,114 | Reviews: 1,567
3.08/5  rDev -25.8%

22oz bottle into a De Struise glass...Dark brown pout, light tan head, ok retention, not mcuh lacing...Aroma is way to light, a little chocolate comes through, light grass, and a little alcohol...Taste brings about more flavor, a good feeling to the beer, but the taste is not as sweet as I would expect for an oatmeal stout. The more it warms it becomes very bitter, way to bitter for a drinkable stout, alcohol comes through too much.

A disappointing stout, not a worthy of an a- let alone being ranked as a top 100 beer based on these nutty rankings.

3.09/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Extremely bitter to me for some reason. I'll try it again at some point to make sure I'm not insane. But as of right now, one of the worst stouts I've ever had.

3.09/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: Pitch black with a rootbeer float-like head (light and dark tan) that settles fairly quickly.

S: Smells delicious, roasted malts, chocolate, and a bit of licorice. Very, very good.

T: This is pretty much an IPA mixed with some stout. First taste is very good, the roasted malts from the smell are very apparent at first, but after that first sip, those flavors seem to disapear. There seems to be a very strong hop profile in this stout, much stronger than in any other stout I've had. The bitterness overpowers the roasted malts, the chocolate flavors and pretty much any other stout flavors. Aftertaste is pretty bitter with a little bit of burnt malt in the background. Bitter aftertaste lingers for quite a while. I think this is a very unbalanced beer. The high hop profile mixed with the roasted malts and chocolate make it almost taste sour. I know this isn't a bad bottle because I've had a few of these in the past before I decided to write a review and I had the same experience.

M: Pretty thin for a stout. Carbonation is high, but not bad.

D: I'm a huge fan of stouts and a huge fan of Rogue but this is the first time that I've had one that I didn't really want to finish. It's not a bad tasting beer, but it's a bad tasting stout if that makes any sense. Not something I would pour out but definatly not something I would want when I am in the mood for a stout. This is basically a stout made with the hopheads in mind.

3.11/5  rDev -25.1%

This heavy stout has a sticky heavy dark tan head and a very dark color. Heavy malt aroma gives hints of the thick heavy body. This is one of the most bitter stouts out there. Nice roasted flavor with chocolate undertones. Not the best, but not bad.

3.13/5  rDev -24.6%

Black as black can be, the pint glass accepts this dark pour from a slightly chilled bomber. No you can't see any light through it, and the rich creamy tan head leaves considerable lacing on the glass.

Aroma is bitter chocolate mingled with robust dark roasted coffees, dark malts and some hoppy undertones. There is also a behind the scenes sulfur like aroma, like rotten veggies or something. Not prominent, but definitely there..

Taste has an upfront bitterness that encircles a nice roasty malt profile, some coffee bean and chocolate notes are there as well. It somehow sours right before the finish and then goes dry and bitter in the end.

Body is fairly big for a 6% stout. Somewhat smooth without a lot of noticeable carbonation. Not a terribly drinkable beer in my opinion. I will be nursing the rest of this bomber.

3.13/5  rDev -24.6%

This beer should be seasonal for Easter because it's hoppier than a freakin rabbit. Does it say somewhere in Hamlet that you should mix an IPA and a stout? That's what it tastes like in any case. The initial bitter hoppiness is what ruins it for me, but after that there is a pleasing chocolate aftertaste that is one of the beer's saving graces. Quite drinkable however, and not at all a bad beer. Maybe if I was a big IPA fan I would be into it a little more.

An undeniably interesting beer, just not what I'll reach for the next time I want a stout.

3.14/5  rDev -24.3%

Appearance: Shakespeare Stout pours out nearly black with a full 3 fingers of mocha colored head. Retention is very good, and lacing is very abundant.

Smell: Roasted malts, charcoal, and burned toast form the base of the smell of this beer. Coffee follows, with some pretty strong hop notes on the back end. Honestly, this beer just smells like burned....something. There's not any sweetness to it. Just a burned smell and some hops.

Taste: There's more of the smell in the taste. Roasted malts and burned toast with some coffee. Some noteworthy hops on the back end. Once again, that burned taste really hangs around on this beer. No sweetness from the oats in the beer or anything to balance it out.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This beer is between medium and full bodied, and fairly smooth drinking overall. This beer has been given pretty solid reviews by many people. I just don't find it that appealing.

3.15/5  rDev -24.1%

Poured to a mason jar

A – black opaque with a 1 finger beige head that lingers and dissipates slowly . Some lacing.

S – Roasted malts, very little coffee , maybe even some fruitiness/raisin,plum.

T- Roasted malts, , faint nuttiness. bitterness that lingers throughout. No pleasantries just left with a bitter aftertaste.

MF – mild dry finish, carbonation is a little much. This is my first Oatmeal Stout. I will be in pursuit of more Oatmeal Stouts to compare it to.

Summary: the price point was right for sure, but if the taste isn't there i wont go back.

**I enjoyed the Roguee Chocolate Stout much more:)

3.16/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. From the fridge, let it warm for approx. 15 min.

A - Dark, dark brown. About a 1/2 inch of sand-colored head. Medium lacing.
S - Slightly toasty.
T - Seemed a bit on the hoppy side for what I'd expect from a stout. Got some of the toastiness too, but the hops were a little overwhelming.
M - Light carbonation, neither thin not thick.
O - Nothing to get either really excited about or complain about. Very average, I might feel better about it if it wasn't so pricey. Would have preferred to taste the malt more.

3.16/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours black with a really nice tan head. There is nothing wrong with the way this beer looks in a glass. The aroma is pretty dissappointing; Notes of smokey malts gives way to bitter chocolate the more it warms up. The taste is diluted dark chocolate. Dissapointing, watery mouthfeel.

3.16/5  rDev -23.9%

22oz. bottle poured into a nonic.

(A)- Pours a fairly thick pitch black color that produced a good tan foamy head with good retention. Some lacing here and there.

(S)- A tad dry. A very mellow roasted profile. Hints of cocoa and molasses with a nutty creaminess.

(T)- Same as the smell. A mellow roastedness with cocoa and molasses. That same nutty creaminess to it. A bit bitter on the finish.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Mellow and smooth, except for that rather dry bitter, almost acrid finish.

(D)- A decent all-around stout. For the style and $$ however, I will look elsewhere.

3.16/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours black and completely opaque with a one inch dark brown head on top. Good retention, and a bit of fine lacing.

The aroma is ok. Some chocolate and coffee, with a bit of an earthy, citrusy/piney hop profile in the distant background.

The taste is ok. Some roasted and burnt malt, old coffee, and slightly bitter. A faint hop presence appears every now and again. Not nearly as good as I thought it would be.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied and highly carbonated.

Drinkability is moderate. Flavor is ok, and alcohol is fairly low making for easy drinking. I'm disappointed with this beer though, and the body is too thin. This beer is really average, I'm shocked it rates so high.

3.18/5  rDev -23.4%

Bought a bomber at my local bottle shop.

A- Good looking stout. It pours very dark, essentially black. A nice, full, dense head that is a fairly dark brown. The head dissipates within a minute or two with nice lacing on the glass.

S-Pretty good aroma. Smells of mocha and some nuttiness, but with a very nice malty body. Can't smell any hops or much alcohol on the back end.

T-The mocha, coffee like flavor hits immediately with the alcohol taking over soon thereafter. The alcohol is a bit overbearing and it lingers for a significant period of time after it goes down. The body doesn't have much sweetness to it in order to help mask some of the strong alcohol flavors.

M-The body does not live up to what the aroma promises. The beer feels unnaturally light going down with the alcohol overpowering the rest of the flavors. Alcohol lingers at the end.

D-I expected much more from this beer. Not something I would purchase again, whether it be in a bottle or on tap anywhere.

3.18/5  rDev -23.4%

Poured from a bomber into a Miami Dolphins pint glass...

A - Poures black with a three finger dark tan head. Good head retention, and good amount lacing with this one. Might pour the next pint a little less agressive...

S - Lots of dark roasted and chocolate notes come through. Also get a hint of citrus...

T - Pretty much follows the nose. Dark chocolate and a good bitter taste of coffee followed by citrus hops. Not a big fan of the finishing hops they used in this one. A little to much citrus hoppy taste for the sytle...

M - Medium bodied with a small amount of carbonation. Was hoping for a fuller creamier body. A little watered down for my taste.

D - Remember enjoying this one more than I did this time. Not to impressed. Probably won't be buying again...

Cheers...

3.19/5  rDev -23.1%

On nitro-tap at Kickbacks

A-Black as night with a inch and a half creamy khaki head that has good retention and leaves some nice lacing. Looks really good.

S-Understated and tame. Some roasted malt and hints of dark chocolate and coffee. Nose needs to be more prominent.

T-Bready malt, hints of chocolate and coffee as the nose suggested, a somewhat sour, astringent back end that isn't very pleasant.

M-Rich and creamy.

D-The sour and astringent back end really hurt the drinkability.

3.2/5  rDev -22.9%

Had this from the handpump into a mug.

3.5 A: Black with a creamy brown cask head. Average retention and no lacing.

3.5 S: Some chocolate, oats, and yeast. Overall, rather dry and unassuming.

3.0 T: Pretty boring. Oats, somewhat chalky dryness, and woody yeast. Light roastiness.

3.5 M: Medium body. Good carbonation for cask. However, it not ridiculously creamy like a lot of beers from cask. Otherwise, okay.

3.0 D: Not bad, but probably the worst cask beer I've ever had. Just not enough flavor going on.

3.2/5  rDev -22.9%

Kind of disappointed with this one. Mostly roasted bitter coffee. A little dark chocolate around the middle. Many better stouts out there. Some bitter astringency on the finish. I'll pass on this next time. I thought this would be much better based on the reviews and the fact that I really enjoy the Chocolate Stout and the Hazelnut Brown.

3.2/5  rDev -22.9%

Shakespeare stout pours thick and dark with abundant tan head. Mega-lacing won't go away. Smell is moderate to mild; mostly roasted barley, a little dark-chocolate bitterness, and a hint of licorice. Flavor is marked by strongly roasted barley (perhaps too roasted) and a pretty notable bite of hops. Shakespeare runs a little dry and a little chewy, and is quite filling.

There is a lot to admire about this brew, but I think as a matter of personal preference I like my stouts a little smoother and sweeter. I detect perhaps some "over-roasting" has taken place in the barley, nearly a "burnt" taste. A little too much cascade hops for the style might have pushed this out of my taste preference. I really like some Rouge beers, but something feels a little wrong about this one.

3.21/5  rDev -22.7%

After reading several good things written about this beer I thought I would give it a try.
I'm all about dark, coffee/chocolate stouts, so I figured this would be right up my alley.
Upon pouring, I wasn't disappointed. It looked like it should. Dark opaque, almost black, thick, no problems there.
The taste is where it didn't live up in my opinion. For one, I like my stouts to be more smooth, less hoppy. There was a nice hint of chocolate mid way through each drink, which was subtle and very well done.
It's easily drinkable. But a bit of a disappointment for a stout. It tasted more like a hoppy porter. Reminded me of the Great Divide St Bridgettes Porter.
Oh well, nothing lost, it was a $3.99 bomber. To each his own, just not to my liking.

3.21/5  rDev -22.7%

I begin this review by saying that I am not a Rogue fan nor do I like overowering hops. This beer came from the tap with a good head and a deep dark color. The lace clung to the sides of the glass. The hops attacked my nose and kept whatever malt from coming in. The bitterness on the tongue blasted away the sweet chocolate I thought I could taste in the background. The beer was so hoppy that this business kept the mouthfeel deep in the background. At best, I would rate this as a specialty beer and hope that no one tryig their first stout would tackle this hop monster.

3.23/5  rDev -22.2%

I'm not impressed with this beer. It seems more like a bock than a stout. The thick, creamy head appeared promising, but fell flat within a minute or so.

Yes, there's subtle hints of chocolate and coffee. Yes, there is a deep dark color and rich head, but the taste is rather dry and bitter. Too light for a stout imo.

I will say that this would be a good session beer for all of the above observations.

3.23/5  rDev -22.2%

This one pours a nice black beer with a nice brown head.
Aroma is pleasant, but in my opinion, uncharacteristic of the style and overly hopped, with minimal maltiness, although some caramels can be noticed here and there.
Taste is mostly bitter, and again in my opinion, a little bit overhopped, with some overpowered maltiness in there.
Mouthfeel is generally good, but I still thought this one a was too hoppy and did not finish the bottle.
I know many will disagree.

3.24/5  rDev -21.9%

Bought a 1 pint, 6 fl. oz bottle of this from Bottle King in Livingston for about $5.99, and I must say, coming from a high-caliber company like Rogue's, I really wasn't too impressed with this Stout sample... expected more, and was let down by an overall lack of flavor and complexity... appearance was about average, poured a jet-black, ebony color with minimal tan head... smell was complete with burnt, dark chocolate, espresso, and liquorice aromas... taste was typical stout, with dark-espresso and cocoa flavors that was more bitter than sweet... Taste seemed pretty watered-down and somewhat more bland than I was expecting...definitely had much better stouts before this, and the overall taste was more average than anything else... I wouldn't say this was a bad brew, just wasn't to my liking and not one I would try again... Wouldn't recommend this one...

3.24/5  rDev -21.9%

Let me start this off by saying I love everything Rogue. Sadly I'm just underwhelmed. I think this bottle may be a bit old, but with what I drank I can't possibly see why everyone rates it so well

Appearance: So black I couldn't see even a hint of light through it when i held it next to a 60W bulb. The head betrayed it... too foamy, too lacey, not thick like you'd expect from such a dark stout.
Smell: burt and woody, a hint of ash, a bit dirt
Taste: Kinda plain. Burnt, a bit ashy. Also it's dark. And burnt. And ashy
Mouthfeel: very thin for a stout. Not entirely unpleasant. I could drink a lot more of this than most stouts, not cuz it's good, but because it has a nice dark flavor without really filling me up at all.
Finish: Clean, plain. Not bad.

Also, I = we....
JB&KW

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales