Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,574 | Hads: 3,268
4.61/5  rDev +10.8%

You can't judge a beer by its bottle, but looking at this beer you can figure it will be tasty. I opened this beer and started to pour it into a glass and found it to have a very nice, very rich dark brown (almost black) color and a VERY nice light brown head. the head was thick and lasted for quite some time and left a heavy lace throughout the drink. As I havent drank many stouts, I was unfamiliar with the aroma but once I tasted the beer I realised what the smell meant and found it to be enjoyable. And as for the taste. this was a fantastic beer. very complex. it had a nice bold flavour without being overpowering. It was a relativly easy beer to drink, but I would imagine one bomber is about all I would want to drink at a time. not cause it gets old, but because it is a slow drink and leaves you full and satasfied. overall, I would recomend picking up a bottle you can get your hands on as it is one of the best stouts I have ever had.

3.7/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured opaque black with very small, brown head, which dissipated quickly.

Coffee, chocolate, and roasted malt aroma. A bit of citrus.

The hops kind of smack you in the face. The roast malt and coffee are underneath but are overpowered by the hops. Very flavorful and complex.

Acidic feel. Low carbonation. Heavy body

The hops are a bit too much for my personal taste, but if you like hops, you will love this stout. Nice change of pace, but I will probably not make this one a regular purchase.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

had this a while ago recovering my notes from last summer

pours black with very tan head that is thick smells of chocolate roasted coffees and malts also there tasted of chocolates with roasted coffee and one can detect the presence of some hops this all mixes together to make one great beer

ive had this beer many times and i definitely recommend it to anybody who loves stouts

3.4/5  rDev -18.3%

Bomber into Imperial Pint

Ebony color with rich browning head.

Immediate roasted aroma. Very close in smell to a smoked beer.

The dark roast dominated the flavor. Hints of chocolate, campfire, cedar, moss.

For a stout with oatmeal to create a creamier texture, it was thin and biting. I have possibly been spoiled by my nitro-homebrew stout I always keep on-tap. But to me, a stout, especially one with oatmeal, should be full and creamy in the mouth, whether nitro or none.

I finished the bottle, but the drinkability was only average.

2.86/5  rDev -31.3%

Black/Dark Brown with a super thick, creamy, and persistent latte head.

Smells malty sweet light coffee and a little hops

Tastes are malty and light coffee as well. Not as full in flavor as I hoped for. The funky acid taste towards the end was also unwelcome.

Very smooth and greasy. Ends dry. the taste of alcohol is faintly present.

Not as good as I was expecting it to be. The full and roundness of a great or even good beer just weren't there. Decent and palatable.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

I saved this one for the last beer of the night, which helps to explain why my notes are so hard to read. Aroma was chocolate and hops. Taste was coffee and chocolate. My light-beer-drinking roommate wrote down "soy sauce" for some reason. I didn't find it salty or tasting anything like soy sauce. After drinking Rogue Mocha Porter I was expecting more of a hop presence. Still a very good stout, but the Shakespeare seemed closer to Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout than some of the other Rogue beers I've tried. Perhaps the preceding SN Celebration dulled my taste buds.

4.77/5  rDev +14.7%

Like most Rogues Ive had on tap my only complaint is the lack of carbonation.

The aroma is stunning. It has so many layers. Chocolate, coffee, citrus, melon, a hint of yeasty bready goodness, just to name a few.

The taste is possibly even more complex. I have this one anywhere from one to three times a week at my local taproom and it seems to vary a little with every keg. Most interesting of recent was the aftertaste of honeydew and a bit more roasted dryness in the finish. Lots of green grapefruity hops, cocoa, coffee, and sweet bread.

Obviously it's solid black.

It's nice and heavy in the mouth, on the pleasant side of sweet, not a lot of carbonation, but with a beer this heavy you don't want to many bubbles lest you get prematurly blotted. It has a long finish that you taste well into the night, even if you drink other beers after it.

I tend to get full after about two pints, but I can usually squeeze in a third.

4.21/5  rDev +1.2%

A - dark black with a two finger, off white head that receded, but never completely left.

S - strong malts

T - malty, with some carmel hints

M - smooth

D - solid drinkability for a stout, but not the best

This is a great beer to enjoy with a steak on a cold day. Luckily, I currently have all three, great beer - snow - and a juicy KC strip!

4.39/5  rDev +5.5%

Serving Date: 12 December 2006

A deep black pour with a short, thick, dark-tan head. Slighty sour, but not particularly pungent aroma. Taste of enjoyable sour/bitter mix. Smooth in the mouth and rolls down the tongue from an initial sharpness on the tip of the tongue to a lingering slightly sour, bburnt coffee flavor in the back of the mouth.

Very enjoyable stout. At first, I was not overly impressed by it, but as I made my way through the first few swigs, it rounded out to be a very tasty pour.

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

The pour gives a good head of small, creamy, tan bubbles that leave a lot of lacing. The color is deep, opaque black.

The smell is a nice mix of fruit sweetness, chocolate, and smooth roasted coffee. The feel is very smooth and creamy with light carbonation. The flavor matches the smell very well with sweetness leading a roasted-malt body with a light hop finish. The aftertaste is slightly dry with burnt toast (but not unpleasant) and bitterness.

For a very flavorful stout, the drinkability is surprisingly good. There is no feeling of heaviness or over-alcoholic aftertaste. Given the extra sweetness, this would make an excellent dessert beer.

3.92/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured at about 52 degrees into a laser-etched snifter.

Appearance - Nice, appealing foamy head, with classy retention, though not much lacing. A dark obsidian color, letting no visible light through. Attractive.

Smell - Boozey with definite oats, redolent with malt. Some hint of nuttiness and chocolate, and maybe just a hint of coffee. A little bit of underlying earthy hop character.

Taste - Medium bodied, honestly thinner than I was expecting. Nice and bready though, the character of the yeast is much more obvious in the taste than in the smell. Malts are toasty, hops provided some pleasant bitterness. Definite chocolate and nuts, with some coffee underneath; the aroma didn't lie. Starts and ends with some light alcohol heat. Aftertaste has the barest hint of licorice.

Mouthfeel - Enjoyable mouthfeel, creamy though not heavy, rich without being oppressive. Carbonation deteriorated throughout, until there was almost none left. Hop character causes a bitterness to linger along with the alcohol heat after the beer is gone.

Drinkability - This beer has an average drinkability, maybe slightly better. While it is heavier, the taste remains appealing and encouraging throughout the course of a pint-six bottle, though if you drink it too slowly the carbonation will die before you can kill the volume in your glass.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Color is Deepest Black. Aroma is roasty, balanced with some hop aroma. Tastes rich, chocolatey, sweet, thick. Bitterness is assertive and very appealing. Mouthfeel is velvety with thick bubbles mixed in.

This is a stout that drinks like an imperial. A home run stout. Give me more.

3.94/5  rDev -5.3%

After being unimpressed by a Rogue Dead Guy Ale a couple years back, I had not bothered to try another Rogue offering, until now. This Shakespeare Stout will not emerge as one of my favorites, but it has at least convinced me to try other Rogue offerings in the future. After trying this brew, I was shocked to find that it contained oats. It just did not seem akin to other oatmeal-ish stouts (which I tend to like). The pour produced a strong, medium-to-dark shiny, foamy and persistent head. So far, so good. The smell struck me as predominantly coffee and not especially complex as stouts go. The taste seemed more like that of Irish dry stouts, like Guinness, sharp and heavy on the roasted barley, but absent was the rounded, slightly sweet and chewy richness from the oats. Things were better in the mouthfeel department, where the oats made an appearance to provide this stout with a good, creamy sensation and a pleasant, malty aftertaste. What lingers on the tongue, however, was a return to the coffee flavors. This was not a plus for me, since I am not a coffee drinker otherwise. There was more of a hops presence, which is to be expected with a brew that is described as an "American" stout. Don't drink this if you are seeking a more malty, rounded, English-style brew. For me, I did not dislike it, but I am not likely to seek it out in the near future. My tasting was an isolated experience; it would be interesting to taste this side-by-side with other micro-brew stouts.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance: Poured from a 22oz bottle into a glass. Pitch black brew with a thick mocha head that encourages you to pour properly. The head leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

Smell: Rich aroma that has a bit of chocolate, coffee, and nut in it.

Taste: Darkly roasted malt flavor with a noticeable citrus hit towards the end. Very, very nice.

Mouthfeel: Absolutely fantastic. Smooth, dry, and thick. Doesn't assault the palate, yet clings to it with a bittersweet finish.

Drinkability: Reasonable ABV that's completely hidden in the outstanding flavor of the brew. Not a "light" beer by any respects, but you'll have no trouble drinking a 22oz bottle.

Overall a great beer. Really, really enjoyed this one.

pours black with a medium tan head that lingers just a bit.

smells roasty and chocolatey.

taste is mainly coffee and oats. some chocolate and hops follow.

very smooth feel. has more carbonation than i expected.

not too strong. easy to drink. i could finish the bottle alone in a short time.

3.81/5  rDev -8.4%

Rogue Oatmeal Stout
22 oz bottle (Total Wine - Claymont, DE)
Room temperature, chilled pint glass

A - Pours thick, black. Gingerbread-colored head, appx 3 fingers deep that eroded to 1.5 into an inced pint glass.

S - roasted malts, baker's chocolate, oats, faint touch of alcohol

T - Good balance, smooth - roasted malts, bakers chocolate, hint of coffee, finishes with a chalky taste of sweetened oatmeal.

M - Again, smooth. Carbonation kicks in, but the finish gives it some sort of chalky feeling - not crazy about it.

D - Fine taste, good aroma, but the chalkiness keeps me from putting this in the A category.

4.62/5  rDev +11.1%

THe beer pours out of the bomber a dark black with a brown head. I know I am in for a serious beer from the initial pouring.
At the first sip I was anything but disappointed, full roasted flavor with a nice hop twinge at the end. The hops are not overpowering or subtle but have that nice balance for this truly excellent beer. It goes down smoothly with some coffee flavors at the end of the tasting. I could easily see this as becoming one of my favorite beers while I am out here in Missouri. I wish I had found the store that had it earlier, it is a fitting yet different replacement for storm king.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

first thought...

poured from bomber into a pint glass.

Poured nice and dark, very opaque. HUGE head. 3-4 fingers, but it dissipates quickly.

Strong lacing. Extremely dark color. Can't see through it at all.

Sweetness to the scent. Nice roasted malts, but not overdone. Not a huge "coffee" burn flavor. is that oatmeal?

Nice alcohol bite at front. Touch of sweetness as well. Long smooth finish. A little bit of bitter at the start of the finish. Not sure if it's the roast or the hops. Leaves a bit of the coffee taste at very end.

Hints of chocolate. Maybe even a touch of licorice. Just a bit of spice with some dryness on the back of my tongue.

A little heavier mouthfeel, which is what I was hoping for and expecting. Coats the mouth a bit. Tastes a bit spicier the more I get into the beer.

I could easily drink a couple of these. Not a session beer, though.

4.73/5  rDev +13.7%

Served in pint glass.

Pours an oily black, with a rich, sticky beige head. Head retains very well and covers the glass all the way down. Beautiful.

Aroma is complex, featuring hints of cacao, milk chocolate, dark roasted coffee and toffee.

Outrageously smooth, a rich, roasted malt sweetness is balanced perfectly with a mild bitterness. Notes of cacao and dark roasted coffee are the most prominent. Smokey and toffee/butterscotch notes are also present. Semi-dry, smokey, coffee-esque finish. Delicious.

Again, outrageously smooth on the palate. A hearty body and creamy mouthfeel make this one a treat.

Delicious and moderate alcohol content. That, along with my devotion to delicious black coffee, I find it to be extremely drinkable.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from bottle into Chimay challace and was very dark, almost black with luscious creamy head that breaks down fast but leaves a ring behind.

Smells is of heavy roasted malt with notes of chocolate and coffee with a tail of the alcohol which puts this near a session stout at 6%.

The carbonation hits you first with a creamy turn into a nice roasty malt backbone. Great crispness from high carbonation that finishes quick and clean.

Medium body for the style and more carbonation than I would expect which makes this a nice drinking stout that could easily turn into two or three before you know it. I can see myself going back for more and a nice offering from the fellas at ROGUE.

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

Now this is a great beer!! I managed to find this while in Texas and after hearing all the hype about it,I knew I had to try it.IMHO it lived up to it,and then some.I could get to love this beer if it were not so hard to find,but it is, and therefore it is pretty much out of my reach.If you can find it,and you like Stouts,by all means try it.

3.42/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a rich dark brown with a nice froth. Smells exactly like most stouts--malted with some hints of dark chocolate and honey. A little yeast as well. Taste is very roasty with dark chocolate flavor throughout. There is a hopped zing in the finish, which is subtle but evident. Good.

4.79/5  rDev +15.1%

Serving type: 22oz. Bomber served in a 16oz shaker.

Appearance: I had to force a head with a second pour. It was probably not worth the effort either, because it yielded a short, quickly dissipating, creamy tan head. It did leave a nice coat of lacing on my glass though.

Smell: My sniffer is happy! Roasted malts, chocolate, and floral hops aroma.

Taste: Wow! extremely smooth. Different from what I had expected. Bittersweet chocolate, roasted malt, and coffee, with some earthy undertones. Harsh hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, dry bitter finish.

Drinkability/Overall: Surprisingly smooth and well balanced. This is the epitome of American Stouts!

4.48/5  rDev +7.7%

What would life be like without a bit of Shakespeare. This has been a long time favorite. Pours a very dark brown with tan head that does not last. Smell has lots of coffee and chocolate. The taste has lots of bitterness and it can be a bit of a mouthfeel. Maybe a little to much but hey I like big beers but one 22oz bottle is usually enough.

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is the most balanced stout I have ever tried. It does it all very well.

Into a Snifter a pours a deep black, with a tan foamy head, that leaves some great lacing.

I smell dark chocolate and espresso, a very inviting smell.

The taste is so smoky I love it. It has a very original taste overall. I can't believe how smooth this beer is. That does help the mouthfeel, because let me tell you this beer feels great moving around in the mouth. I couldn't find a hint of bitterness with this beer.

Seriously, it's fun moving this beer around your mouth, because it just helps the taste and you do not get any harsh overtones. Dare I say this is better than Great Lakes Blackout Stout, I guess so.

As you can tell I'm very pleased with this beer. I'm going to keep buying this beer without hesitation. Drinkability, is easilty one of the best out there.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales