Microbrew Invitational

Oregon, United States | website

Style: Oatmeal Stout

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

Added by Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

Reviews: 1,589 | Ratings: 3,363
4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

A- Pours a solid black with a light brown head

S- Roasted Malts, chocolate and espresso

T- I like this a little more than the Rogue Chocolate stout. The difference b/t the two is that I find this beer to be more roasted. In the Chocolate stout all you taste is chocolate but in the Shakespeare stout you can taste the chocolate as well as some good sweet coffee with a nutty backbone.

Food Pairing- I made beer braised chicken with this and it was really good.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

You better come thirty for this bad boy or its money wasted. Let’s start with the oversized behemoth of a 1 pint 6oz bottle for around $7. I can’t drink that much stout after work and would love a smaller 4 pack option. The pour was good with lots of rich creamy brown head. Has a nice sweet fruity smell that puts my grinning face deep into the glass. My thoughts are easily lost in deeply roasted malts and tantalizing bitterness. It has everything that I like in oatmeal stout, but the cocoa was a bit overpowering for me in the aftertaste near the end of the bottle. Nitpicking the logical minds, Shakespeare didn’t know chocolate, so maybe they should rename this beer to imply what it really is, Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. Anyways, in short there is nothing unexpected, just a good stout with lots of sweet and bitter flavors. Only negative is the price and size limits the purchase options from me without a friend to share it with.

3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured to a mason jar

A – black opaque with a 1 finger beige head that lingers and dissipates slowly . Some lacing.

S – Roasted malts, very little coffee , maybe even some fruitiness/raisin,plum.

T- Roasted malts, , faint nuttiness. bitterness that lingers throughout. No pleasantries just left with a bitter aftertaste.

MF – mild dry finish, carbonation is a little much. This is my first Oatmeal Stout. I will be in pursuit of more Oatmeal Stouts to compare it to.

Summary: the price point was right for sure, but if the taste isn't there i wont go back.

**I enjoyed the Roguee Chocolate Stout much more:)

4.49/5  rDev +7.9%

This one is addictive!! Jet black appearance with a creamy, ever so slight, tan head that crawls down the glass as you drink it. Smell can't be beat for me....roasty, coffee, slight hints of chocolate, all at the perfect 'strength'. I love the smell of this one! Taste has some bitterness, sweetness, and coffee to it, with a possible slight alchohol warmth, particularly in the finish. Mouthfeel is very thick and creamy, but not quite as thick as a Chocolate Stout. Drinkability only gets a 4 for me, as it is sweet and thick....but, it is still a very drinkable stout to be as thick as it is. One of the best!

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Served out of 22oz bottle

This beer pours pitch black, when held up to the light no trace of any other color. A nice tan colored head forms but disapates fairly quickly. Smells of piney hops a bit of citrus coming through. Along with coffee, and chocolate. Medium bodied stout that feels good in the mouth. A clean finish with mild hops on the nose. A great stout and will drink(buy) again.

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

A pour from a bomber produces a thick and frothy head, beautiful brown and chocolaty. A rich looking dark beer, with a dense mouthfeel, but not heavy. Nothing like those watery nitro-infused stouts. An aroma of burnt malt comes to you, then a full taste, with slight roasted notes and chocolate aftertaste. A pleasure to drink. A great stout and my favorite offering from Rogue. Try it.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

In my poodonk town of Sarasota, Florida and my favorite beer pub, the Cock and Bull, (number 6th in the nation) there is a sign hanging up that proclaims this to be the best stout in America. Rogue hung this sign up after the last beer fest we had back in January and I've been staring at it for 5 months debating whether or not I should try it. So, last night I felt in a stout/porter mood, so I bought this beer.

Appearance: Jet Black with nice head and loads of lace.

Smell: Mild roasted malts, caramel, and bitter hops.

Taste: First of the night and it didnt stand a chance, I downed this 22 oz. bomber like it was water. Excellent complexity of all ingredients.

Mouthfeel: Light and caramel background.

Drinkability: Would make a nice Black and Tan with perhaps a Grimbergen Dubbel.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

I poured my Shakespeare Stout from a 750ml bottle. It appeared pitch-black in the glass with a nice tan head. The aromas were of chocolate, but a little sweet. No sweetness was there when I drank it. Very thick and velvety. Tastes of coffee and unsweetened chocolate. Pretty dry and bitter finish. Extremely nice. A dessert in itself.

4.06/5  rDev -2.4%

Let me start off to say that this beer really smells quite different, and not good in my opinion, the palate differs though. I will start off with the good to say there is plenty of chocolate marsh mellows, but really has quite a bit of medicinal notes that are very present. The beer almost smells like a cleaning agent to some sort, to what causes this i'm not certain. To the palate- a different story. The taste infuses chocolate, cinnamon and gingerbread that has a balance of some bitter hops. I like this beer, but the nose is incredibly weird. One of the few beers where the nose is off, and the taste is on

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

This stout poured black with no hint of any other color. A thick, creamy, medium tan head quickly developed and stayed around for two to three drinks. As the head dissipated, it left behind a nice set of lacework, which also reappeared after each drink. It smelled of dark roasted grain and coffee.

The taste was better than I expected. It was slightly sharp with a nice roasty malt flavor with hints of coffee and little to no bitter after taste. It was not as heavy as I expected, there was little carbonation, and left a dry feeling after each drink.

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

22 oz. Bottle

Pours a dark black with a tanish brown big frothy head. Hints of red can be seen on the edges of the glass when held up to the light.

Roasted malts dominate the nose followed by toasted oats, smells a lot like an oatmeal stout. A hoppy citrus character pulls through in the end giving this brew a very nice, balanced aroma.

The roasted malts really show they're power and own the initial flavor, again followed by a hint of toasted oats. Hop bitterness follows, nicely balancing the brew and leaving your mouth dry and begging for more. A chocolately aftertaste pushes this stout far above most brews of the same style. This brew defines balance.

Overall, another outstanding Rogue brew. They continue to impress with every style and make me wonder why I live on the East Coast. A must try for any American stout or oatmeal stout fan.

4.07/5  rDev -2.2%

A-- jet black...no light from my flame passes through...dark creamy sticky lacing and head...almost looks like bubbles in chocolate milk..

S--definet chocolate and coffee on the nose first...hops in the backround...cascade i believe...light oat smell...very inviting..

T--immediate roasted malts and chocolate flavors...gives way to slight hops but that could be due to the bottle sitting to long as the first time i had this the hops were very present..malty and a bit sweet but not at all near cloying..just right..

M+D-- thought it would be thicker than it is but it is still a touch creamy...making it very drinkable and easy going...can finish a whole bomber easily and then some..

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a 650ml bottle into a pint glass. Beautiful khaki head with good retention and nice lacing.

Smell is of chocolate and a nice earthy-ness.

Taste and mouthfeel were extremely rich with a good roasted flavor and plenty of bitter. Very nice.

Drinkability was decent, a little too much roasted flavor for me to want more than one at a time.

OVerall this was a pretty good beer. Not my style of choice, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Pours almost black out of the bottle, looks black in the glass. Ample amount of light brown, foamy head.
S - Smell is slightly sweet, subtle note of chocolate.
T - Taste is dry and earthy with a bitter chocolate aftertaste.
M - Mouthfeel is heavy and creamy.
D - Very drinkable Nice even flavors, no rough edges. Good for a heavy beer, maybe a little filling though.

4.09/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Dark black, small brown head dissipates quickly, leaving behind minimal lacing.
S: Very roasty. Smells of freshly ground coffee.
T: Super smooth, nice dark malt character, burnt cookies. Mildly sweet.
M: Very dry, clean feel to it.
D: Good, but I think I'd really have to be in the mood to have this one again.

4.61/5  rDev +10.8%

You can't judge a beer by its bottle, but looking at this beer you can figure it will be tasty. I opened this beer and started to pour it into a glass and found it to have a very nice, very rich dark brown (almost black) color and a VERY nice light brown head. the head was thick and lasted for quite some time and left a heavy lace throughout the drink. As I havent drank many stouts, I was unfamiliar with the aroma but once I tasted the beer I realised what the smell meant and found it to be enjoyable. And as for the taste. this was a fantastic beer. very complex. it had a nice bold flavour without being overpowering. It was a relativly easy beer to drink, but I would imagine one bomber is about all I would want to drink at a time. not cause it gets old, but because it is a slow drink and leaves you full and satasfied. overall, I would recomend picking up a bottle you can get your hands on as it is one of the best stouts I have ever had.

3.7/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured opaque black with very small, brown head, which dissipated quickly.

Coffee, chocolate, and roasted malt aroma. A bit of citrus.

The hops kind of smack you in the face. The roast malt and coffee are underneath but are overpowered by the hops. Very flavorful and complex.

Acidic feel. Low carbonation. Heavy body

The hops are a bit too much for my personal taste, but if you like hops, you will love this stout. Nice change of pace, but I will probably not make this one a regular purchase.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

had this a while ago recovering my notes from last summer

pours black with very tan head that is thick smells of chocolate roasted coffees and malts also there tasted of chocolates with roasted coffee and one can detect the presence of some hops this all mixes together to make one great beer

ive had this beer many times and i definitely recommend it to anybody who loves stouts

3.4/5  rDev -18.3%

Bomber into Imperial Pint

Ebony color with rich browning head.

Immediate roasted aroma. Very close in smell to a smoked beer.

The dark roast dominated the flavor. Hints of chocolate, campfire, cedar, moss.

For a stout with oatmeal to create a creamier texture, it was thin and biting. I have possibly been spoiled by my nitro-homebrew stout I always keep on-tap. But to me, a stout, especially one with oatmeal, should be full and creamy in the mouth, whether nitro or none.

I finished the bottle, but the drinkability was only average.

2.86/5  rDev -31.3%

Black/Dark Brown with a super thick, creamy, and persistent latte head.

Smells malty sweet light coffee and a little hops

Tastes are malty and light coffee as well. Not as full in flavor as I hoped for. The funky acid taste towards the end was also unwelcome.

Very smooth and greasy. Ends dry. the taste of alcohol is faintly present.

Not as good as I was expecting it to be. The full and roundness of a great or even good beer just weren't there. Decent and palatable.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

I saved this one for the last beer of the night, which helps to explain why my notes are so hard to read. Aroma was chocolate and hops. Taste was coffee and chocolate. My light-beer-drinking roommate wrote down "soy sauce" for some reason. I didn't find it salty or tasting anything like soy sauce. After drinking Rogue Mocha Porter I was expecting more of a hop presence. Still a very good stout, but the Shakespeare seemed closer to Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout than some of the other Rogue beers I've tried. Perhaps the preceding SN Celebration dulled my taste buds.

4.77/5  rDev +14.7%

Like most Rogues Ive had on tap my only complaint is the lack of carbonation.

The aroma is stunning. It has so many layers. Chocolate, coffee, citrus, melon, a hint of yeasty bready goodness, just to name a few.

The taste is possibly even more complex. I have this one anywhere from one to three times a week at my local taproom and it seems to vary a little with every keg. Most interesting of recent was the aftertaste of honeydew and a bit more roasted dryness in the finish. Lots of green grapefruity hops, cocoa, coffee, and sweet bread.

Obviously it's solid black.

It's nice and heavy in the mouth, on the pleasant side of sweet, not a lot of carbonation, but with a beer this heavy you don't want to many bubbles lest you get prematurly blotted. It has a long finish that you taste well into the night, even if you drink other beers after it.

I tend to get full after about two pints, but I can usually squeeze in a third.

3.42/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a rich dark brown with a nice froth. Smells exactly like most stouts--malted with some hints of dark chocolate and honey. A little yeast as well. Taste is very roasty with dark chocolate flavor throughout. There is a hopped zing in the finish, which is subtle but evident. Good.

4.21/5  rDev +1.2%

A - dark black with a two finger, off white head that receded, but never completely left.

S - strong malts

T - malty, with some carmel hints

M - smooth

D - solid drinkability for a stout, but not the best

This is a great beer to enjoy with a steak on a cold day. Luckily, I currently have all three, great beer - snow - and a juicy KC strip!

4.39/5  rDev +5.5%

Serving Date: 12 December 2006

A deep black pour with a short, thick, dark-tan head. Slighty sour, but not particularly pungent aroma. Taste of enjoyable sour/bitter mix. Smooth in the mouth and rolls down the tongue from an initial sharpness on the tip of the tongue to a lingering slightly sour, bburnt coffee flavor in the back of the mouth.

Very enjoyable stout. At first, I was not overly impressed by it, but as I made my way through the first few swigs, it rounded out to be a very tasty pour.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales