Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,564 | Hads: 3,221
4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

Now this is a great beer!! I managed to find this while in Texas and after hearing all the hype about it,I knew I had to try it.IMHO it lived up to it,and then some.I could get to love this beer if it were not so hard to find,but it is, and therefore it is pretty much out of my reach.If you can find it,and you like Stouts,by all means try it. (344 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

12oz bought at Globe Drug; no date; Overall, I was not impressed with this beer (I remember that is was more bitter than I liked), but it may be because it was old, or it may be that I don't really care for oatmeal stouts (I haven't had enough oatmeal stouts to know). (268 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +14.9%

Serving type: 22oz. Bomber served in a 16oz shaker.

Appearance: I had to force a head with a second pour. It was probably not worth the effort either, because it yielded a short, quickly dissipating, creamy tan head. It did leave a nice coat of lacing on my glass though.

Smell: My sniffer is happy! Roasted malts, chocolate, and floral hops aroma.

Taste: Wow! extremely smooth. Different from what I had expected. Bittersweet chocolate, roasted malt, and coffee, with some earthy undertones. Harsh hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, dry bitter finish.

Drinkability/Overall: Surprisingly smooth and well balanced. This is the epitome of American Stouts! (677 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +7.4%

What would life be like without a bit of Shakespeare. This has been a long time favorite. Pours a very dark brown with tan head that does not last. Smell has lots of coffee and chocolate. The taste has lots of bitterness and it can be a bit of a mouthfeel. Maybe a little to much but hey I like big beers but one 22oz bottle is usually enough. (343 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is the most balanced stout I have ever tried. It does it all very well.

Into a Snifter a pours a deep black, with a tan foamy head, that leaves some great lacing.

I smell dark chocolate and espresso, a very inviting smell.

The taste is so smoky I love it. It has a very original taste overall. I can't believe how smooth this beer is. That does help the mouthfeel, because let me tell you this beer feels great moving around in the mouth. I couldn't find a hint of bitterness with this beer.

Seriously, it's fun moving this beer around your mouth, because it just helps the taste and you do not get any harsh overtones. Dare I say this is better than Great Lakes Blackout Stout, I guess so.

As you can tell I'm very pleased with this beer. I'm going to keep buying this beer without hesitation. Drinkability, is easilty one of the best out there. (869 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

P- a 22oz brown bomber bottle.

A- pours dark, nearly black, with little to no light penetration. Brownish head dissipates a minute after pouring and creamy tan lacing lasts through the end.

S- roasted barley, mild hops.

T- well balanced roasted grains, dark chocolates and coffee, and a mild finish of hops.

M- creamy medium body that is slightly carbonated.

D- a great stout overall. (389 characters)

P - 22 Oz Nicely printed brown bottle, no freshness date.

A - Dark black with nice creamy deep tan color head 1 to 2 fingers, good retention right til the end, with thin slightly runny lacing. high viscosity rather sticky looking.

S - burnt barley, slight carmel, hints of bakers chocolate.

T - sweetness, bitter hops followed by very burnt malt taste, nice chocolate aftertatse. not as sweet as I expected compared to sam smiths oatmeal stout. appreciative.

M - very pleasing feel, just the right amount of carbonation.

D - would sip these all day or night if they werent $7 a bottle ;) (592 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is great. Super dark pour with a nice mocha head.. half finger for my glass... Smell was a strong stout with sweet notes. Taste was great. Good mouth feel with a stout flavour that went down and left your mouth with some coffee, dark malts flavour and it was great. Way better than rogues chocolate stout. (315 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

In my opinion, the Stout class is the style that U.S. microbreweries have have done the best job with. This one is very competitive, with a expresso dark color and a thick perfectly developed 1 inch head. The flavor is strong and intense with a combination of toasted bread, nut and coffee notes, but it is smooth and dry enough so as to be very drinkable as a session beer, if those words can be used when describing a stout. Has a wonderfully thick mouthfeel that makes a syrupy lace on the side of the glass. In a class this competitive, I could not say this is necessarily the best Stout, but it is surely in my top 10, which really is saying a lot given the volume of solid competition with British and U.S. breweries producing quite a few memorable Stouts. (762 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance-luscious thick black pour creating a tan creamy head.

Smells-slightly flowery, kinda piney, toasty

Taste- hoppy in the beginning, then to bittersweet chocolate, finished with a slight burnt malty taste.

Mouthfeel- smooth, tongue coating, heavy

Drinkability- the alcohol is not a big concern in this one but it does take alot out of the senses with the wide spectrum of the hops and malt. (410 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +4.8%

Dark black in color, like looking into space, with a thin beige head. Smells of coffee beans and tastes the same with a light chocolate quality. Very nice carbonated mouthfeel. Smooth finish with a slight aftertaste, almost like an espresso. I felt as if it were quite filling, almost a decadent beer, very rich in taste. I think this would be best served after dinner, or with a rich chocolate dessert. Overall, a delicious beer. (430 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

FINALLY! I've been looking for this beer for months! Recently moved to Laramie, WY for school and found it here. Well the wait was worth it.

L.Opaque dark brown to black with a thick light tan head that lasts, along with good lacing
S.Toasted wheats along with chocolate and a good coffee smell
T.mmmm... well it starts with a good chocolate taste followed by a nice bitter hop/coffee taste that fades into the back of the mouth leaving a pleasant aftertaste
F.Very smooth and creamy with moderate carbonation, very nice

Wow... Rogue has outdone itself, such a nice change from the average(aka crappy) college party beers ie. budbudlightkeystonemillerbusch... blah blah blah (676 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1%

Poured from bomber into an imperial pint glass.

A: black like a stout with a two-three finger mocha colored head. Nice consistency and creamy look to it.

S: roasted malts, hoppiness, a little chocolate and a smidge of oatmeal.

T. Nice! Bitter enough to keep you interested with a very roasted dark character. Like a bitter dark chocolates almOst.

Mf. Very full and carbonated. Great rich, dense mouthfeel. This is a little more to it than normal stouts. Which I like.

Overall I will be drinking this beer again for sure. I enjoyed this one for sure, it was super fresh as well. (587 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

A: dark as night brown, almost black with chocolate brown lacing.

S: chocolate oats and toasted malts, hints of coffee drift in.

T: smooth taste of chocolate, coffee and oats. Slight bitter taste.

M: rich and creamy feel.

D: one of my favorite oatmeal stouts. Rogue never let's me down. I'm sure I'll get it many times again. (329 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -18%

Pours a rich dark brown with a nice froth. Smells exactly like most stouts--malted with some hints of dark chocolate and honey. A little yeast as well. Taste is very roasty with dark chocolate flavor throughout. There is a hopped zing in the finish, which is subtle but evident. Good. (284 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A good to very good stout (getting progressively better as warms). Doesn't so much stand out due to any particular attribute so much as because it's so very well balanced. No instrument gets too loud in this one (unlike Rogue Double Chocolate); everything working in near perfect harmony.

A: Hard to describe the head because it's gone in a blink. (A later "hard pour" revealed a camel-colored head, still pulling a disappearing act after brief cameo. What emerges from beneath the vanishing head, though, is a nice dark stout -- essentially think "Coke, no ice". Some crimson coloring if you look deep. A nice web of suds stretches across the surface, with semi-moderate stickiness on the sides after a sip.

S: Earthy, oats/barley. Faint hint of chocolate chip oatmeal cookie, but all very, very faint (so much so that the foregoing description was a bit strained -- and perhaps even subject to wishful thinking). NOTE: A nice roasty, red fruit, and chocolate aroma kicks up after the beer breathes/warms for a while.

T: The subtle, nearly non-existent aroma precedes what I thought was a subtle, nearly non-existent taste. Even at that, I wasn't complaining. Too many beers seek to be too cute by half (with an overly artificial or "try too hard" infusion of ths or that -- Rogue Double Chocolate among them, in my estimation). This started out as just a nice, pleasant, smooth stout with a velvety, balanced taste. GIFT FOR THE PATIENT: However, as with the aroma, the beer takes on a more lively, forward nature after it warms a bit. Again, roasted chocolate / coffee aftertaste, with faint hint of vanilla. Very nice.

M: Extremely well balanced; excellent feel. Medium to full bodied. Thick, rich, creamy. Ranks among the most memorable in this category.

O: Again, it's a beer that pleases the impatient, rewards the patient. Starts out as a beer that doesn't seem overly complex -- unless complex in delivering an absolutely simple, balanced stout. Out of the refrigerator, I'd rate it as very good but not terribly exciting or fun; one dimensional (but one that excels in that one dimension). As time (and the beer's chill) wanes, it becomes even better -- with a more complex taste. On the bright side, whether you're the type to knock it back fast and then tell your latest war story or sip it over conversation, you'll find this beer very drinkable, imminently enjoyable.

Repeat? I don't waffle due to indifference for the beer; it's very good. And if it came in 4- or 6-packs, it might become a staple (like Founders Breakfast, Thirsty Dog's Siberian Night Imperial, Plead the Fifth, Left Hand Milk Stout, Samuel Smith's Imperial, etc. But alas, in the bomber bottle, though better priced than some of Rogue's other offerings, I'd probably just hold off and serve it with a group of friends over -- ever-confident, thouth, that it would be rated a "winner"...

Where Enjoyed? It's a great party starterwith friends -- appealing, I'm sure, to many different tastes/preferences. Given its excellent harmony, it's also pretty good over some cool jazz / classical music (which is nice, since a lot of my favorite beers are better over AC/DC or George Jones). And might I add it's also a nice pour to close out St. Paddy's Day (or to re-enact it on any given evening).

Two Words? Warm Harmony (3,305 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Presentation: Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Very Dark, Started with a small head and went away to a very thin layer of head, lacing down the entire pint glass to the end.

Aroma: Very Sweet, and Coffee like

Taste: Very coffee taste, hint of chocolate

Mouthfeel: Very drinkable, smooth, and good tasting.

Overall: I once had a Rogue beer that I didn't like at all, so I decided not to drink rogue beers, after reviewing the Rogue reviews on BA, I decided to give them a try again. I am glad I did, this was a great beer, and one I will enjoy again and again. (579 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -14.1%

BIg chocolate aroma mixed with floral hops. Pours pure black with a thick, rocky brown head. Loses some points because the head dissipates a little too quickly for a stout. Tastes of bitter hops with chocolate and roasted malts. A bit thin on the palate but the carbonation is pleasant. Lingering chocolate and bitter finish. This is a pretty damn good stout but it leaves a bit of room for improvement. (403 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Obtained at the Rogue Ales Public House in Portland, OR.

Poured by the Rogue pro beer tender. Firm head that stayed around to chat for a while.

Rich nose, deep creamy malty.

First sip is Oh So Creamy stout. Unsweetened cocoa flavor lingers on the palate.

Very easy to drink. One pint is not enough.

Instantly my my fav Rogue brew. (338 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -1.4%

Thick creamy head that rivals a cold-deck pint of Guinness. Color is a deep brown, rivaling the bottle. The head lingers as I drink the beer leaving long laces along the side I tip to my mouth. The smell of the beer is the only part that is lacking. I catch only a hint of roasted malts and chocolate. The beer tastes wonderful. This is where I found the roasted malts and chocolate flavors I yearn and some well balanced hints of hops to round out the beer. It is velvety on the tongue and the flavors linger as I swallow. Quite drinkable although the 22oz bottle can take awhile to finish. (591 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

Draught at the Rogue Public House in NW Portland. Pours rich frothy head that looks similar to espresso. Dark ink black not allowing any light to pass through. Smells strongly of roasted malts, nice chocolate, and sweet cream. No hops are present in the aroma. I know they are in there, but the roast overpowers them. First taste is bitter, but not from hops, from roast. Almost astringent. Chocolate and espresso fill your mouth next, very nice, followed by a sharp almost harsh bitterness. Again from roast not hops. NIce full, rich, slick mouthfeel. Oily and coating, from the oats one can presume. I decided to sit on this for a while and let it warm up seeing as it was very cold from the tap. At first it seemed to bring out this harshness even more, but after a few drinks, it went away. It is so much better slightly below room temperature. Definite balance. A decent beer. (881 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +7%

Cracked my first bottle of this stuff with a college friend who was in town from the East Coast. Nothing beats a beer with old friends (except free beer with old friends I guess).

A: This is what a good, drinkable stout should look like. It poured nicely, forming a slightly brown cap of foam that stuck around for a few minutes before fading into some very lovely lacing.

S: The aroma on the Shakespeare stout is also a notch above some of the other beers I've had recently. It wasn't overly roasty, and with the low ABV, had no taint of hotness. I think I picked up some dark fruit notes, maybe some butterscotch or very matured malts.

T: Tastes greeeeat! This wasn't huge and insane like the Abyss. It wasn't overly chocolatey or anything like that. It was a very balanced stout, with just the right amount of bitter, coffee bite.

M: A little thin, although by no means watery. It was creamy and smooth on the backside.

D: Quite sessionable. If this came in sixers, I think it would be a staple of my fridge. Some stouts are treats, and as such demand to be drank alone. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind putting away two or three of these with a meal. (1,161 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Rogue, I love you! Another great beer from this world class brewery. This one pours a deep black with a beautiful tan head. Head retention is nice, as is lacing. In the nose I smell some oats, coffee with cream, chocolate, nuts, and a nice touch of hops. Flavor is rich, with a lot of chocolate coming through - kind of a cafe mocha thing going on. Also a pretty much perfect amount of hops. The balance here is outstanding. I like that when this beer first hits your palate you're thinking it's going to be a little sweet. Then as it moves forward, it hits you with a lot of chewy, roasted maltiness, then it finishes with a slight citric pucker from the hops. You're left salivating a little and just waiting for your next sip. Very well balanced, very drinkable beer. Love it! (779 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +5.5%

One of the most drinkable stouts I've had recently. Not too heavy or malty, Nice body.

Hint of almost chocolatey/coffee like notes on the back end.

Definitely a stout that won't over power the palette and drinks very well.

This was my favorite Rogue brew I've had thus far. I will definitely pick this up again (313 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

S- chocolate, mocha, malts, some vanilla, and I can even detect some oatmeal with sweet molasses.

A- beautiful black beer with a creamy mocha head that lasts for the entirety of the pint! The lacing on this beer is unreal, it's absolutely amazing how it sticks to the whole glass.

T/m- subtle well rounded stout. Not overwhelming in any particular are. Chocolate coco flavor, some mocha, a good amount of malts with some tones of vanilla. Very drinkable beer with little to no aftertaste and the alcohol is masked very well. Full bodied could be a little thicker in my opinion. (580 characters)

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales