Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,188 | Reviews: 1,584
4.62/5  rDev +11.6%

THe beer pours out of the bomber a dark black with a brown head. I know I am in for a serious beer from the initial pouring.
At the first sip I was anything but disappointed, full roasted flavor with a nice hop twinge at the end. The hops are not overpowering or subtle but have that nice balance for this truly excellent beer. It goes down smoothly with some coffee flavors at the end of the tasting. I could easily see this as becoming one of my favorite beers while I am out here in Missouri. I wish I had found the store that had it earlier, it is a fitting yet different replacement for storm king.

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

first thought...

poured from bomber into a pint glass.

Poured nice and dark, very opaque. HUGE head. 3-4 fingers, but it dissipates quickly.

Strong lacing. Extremely dark color. Can't see through it at all.

Sweetness to the scent. Nice roasted malts, but not overdone. Not a huge "coffee" burn flavor. is that oatmeal?

Nice alcohol bite at front. Touch of sweetness as well. Long smooth finish. A little bit of bitter at the start of the finish. Not sure if it's the roast or the hops. Leaves a bit of the coffee taste at very end.

Hints of chocolate. Maybe even a touch of licorice. Just a bit of spice with some dryness on the back of my tongue.

A little heavier mouthfeel, which is what I was hoping for and expecting. Coats the mouth a bit. Tastes a bit spicier the more I get into the beer.

I could easily drink a couple of these. Not a session beer, though.

4.73/5  rDev +14.3%

Served in pint glass.

Pours an oily black, with a rich, sticky beige head. Head retains very well and covers the glass all the way down. Beautiful.

Aroma is complex, featuring hints of cacao, milk chocolate, dark roasted coffee and toffee.

Outrageously smooth, a rich, roasted malt sweetness is balanced perfectly with a mild bitterness. Notes of cacao and dark roasted coffee are the most prominent. Smokey and toffee/butterscotch notes are also present. Semi-dry, smokey, coffee-esque finish. Delicious.

Again, outrageously smooth on the palate. A hearty body and creamy mouthfeel make this one a treat.

Delicious and moderate alcohol content. That, along with my devotion to delicious black coffee, I find it to be extremely drinkable.

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from bottle into Chimay challace and was very dark, almost black with luscious creamy head that breaks down fast but leaves a ring behind.

Smells is of heavy roasted malt with notes of chocolate and coffee with a tail of the alcohol which puts this near a session stout at 6%.

The carbonation hits you first with a creamy turn into a nice roasty malt backbone. Great crispness from high carbonation that finishes quick and clean.

Medium body for the style and more carbonation than I would expect which makes this a nice drinking stout that could easily turn into two or three before you know it. I can see myself going back for more and a nice offering from the fellas at ROGUE.

4.78/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great tasting Stout. One of the best beers I've had

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

Now this is a great beer!! I managed to find this while in Texas and after hearing all the hype about it,I knew I had to try it.IMHO it lived up to it,and then some.I could get to love this beer if it were not so hard to find,but it is, and therefore it is pretty much out of my reach.If you can find it,and you like Stouts,by all means try it.

4.79/5  rDev +15.7%

Serving type: 22oz. Bomber served in a 16oz shaker.

Appearance: I had to force a head with a second pour. It was probably not worth the effort either, because it yielded a short, quickly dissipating, creamy tan head. It did leave a nice coat of lacing on my glass though.

Smell: My sniffer is happy! Roasted malts, chocolate, and floral hops aroma.

Taste: Wow! extremely smooth. Different from what I had expected. Bittersweet chocolate, roasted malt, and coffee, with some earthy undertones. Harsh hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, dry bitter finish.

Drinkability/Overall: Surprisingly smooth and well balanced. This is the epitome of American Stouts!

4.48/5  rDev +8.2%

What would life be like without a bit of Shakespeare. This has been a long time favorite. Pours a very dark brown with tan head that does not last. Smell has lots of coffee and chocolate. The taste has lots of bitterness and it can be a bit of a mouthfeel. Maybe a little to much but hey I like big beers but one 22oz bottle is usually enough.

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is the most balanced stout I have ever tried. It does it all very well.

Into a Snifter a pours a deep black, with a tan foamy head, that leaves some great lacing.

I smell dark chocolate and espresso, a very inviting smell.

The taste is so smoky I love it. It has a very original taste overall. I can't believe how smooth this beer is. That does help the mouthfeel, because let me tell you this beer feels great moving around in the mouth. I couldn't find a hint of bitterness with this beer.

Seriously, it's fun moving this beer around your mouth, because it just helps the taste and you do not get any harsh overtones. Dare I say this is better than Great Lakes Blackout Stout, I guess so.

As you can tell I'm very pleased with this beer. I'm going to keep buying this beer without hesitation. Drinkability, is easilty one of the best out there.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

P- a 22oz brown bomber bottle.

A- pours dark, nearly black, with little to no light penetration. Brownish head dissipates a minute after pouring and creamy tan lacing lasts through the end.

S- roasted barley, mild hops.

T- well balanced roasted grains, dark chocolates and coffee, and a mild finish of hops.

M- creamy medium body that is slightly carbonated.

D- a great stout overall.

P - 22 Oz Nicely printed brown bottle, no freshness date.

A - Dark black with nice creamy deep tan color head 1 to 2 fingers, good retention right til the end, with thin slightly runny lacing. high viscosity rather sticky looking.

S - burnt barley, slight carmel, hints of bakers chocolate.

T - sweetness, bitter hops followed by very burnt malt taste, nice chocolate aftertatse. not as sweet as I expected compared to sam smiths oatmeal stout. appreciative.

M - very pleasing feel, just the right amount of carbonation.

D - would sip these all day or night if they werent $7 a bottle ;)

4.34/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is great. Super dark pour with a nice mocha head.. half finger for my glass... Smell was a strong stout with sweet notes. Taste was great. Good mouth feel with a stout flavour that went down and left your mouth with some coffee, dark malts flavour and it was great. Way better than rogues chocolate stout.

4.76/5  rDev +15%

Awww yeeah; this is the good, good stuff.

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

In my opinion, the Stout class is the style that U.S. microbreweries have have done the best job with. This one is very competitive, with a expresso dark color and a thick perfectly developed 1 inch head. The flavor is strong and intense with a combination of toasted bread, nut and coffee notes, but it is smooth and dry enough so as to be very drinkable as a session beer, if those words can be used when describing a stout. Has a wonderfully thick mouthfeel that makes a syrupy lace on the side of the glass. In a class this competitive, I could not say this is necessarily the best Stout, but it is surely in my top 10, which really is saying a lot given the volume of solid competition with British and U.S. breweries producing quite a few memorable Stouts.

3.86/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance-luscious thick black pour creating a tan creamy head.

Smells-slightly flowery, kinda piney, toasty

Taste- hoppy in the beginning, then to bittersweet chocolate, finished with a slight burnt malty taste.

Mouthfeel- smooth, tongue coating, heavy

Drinkability- the alcohol is not a big concern in this one but it does take alot out of the senses with the wide spectrum of the hops and malt.

4.37/5  rDev +5.6%

Dark black in color, like looking into space, with a thin beige head. Smells of coffee beans and tastes the same with a light chocolate quality. Very nice carbonated mouthfeel. Smooth finish with a slight aftertaste, almost like an espresso. I felt as if it were quite filling, almost a decadent beer, very rich in taste. I think this would be best served after dinner, or with a rich chocolate dessert. Overall, a delicious beer.

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

FINALLY! I've been looking for this beer for months! Recently moved to Laramie, WY for school and found it here. Well the wait was worth it.

L.Opaque dark brown to black with a thick light tan head that lasts, along with good lacing
S.Toasted wheats along with chocolate and a good coffee smell
T.mmmm... well it starts with a good chocolate taste followed by a nice bitter hop/coffee taste that fades into the back of the mouth leaving a pleasant aftertaste
F.Very smooth and creamy with moderate carbonation, very nice

Wow... Rogue has outdone itself, such a nice change from the average(aka crappy) college party beers ie. budbudlightkeystonemillerbusch... blah blah blah

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from bomber into an imperial pint glass.

A: black like a stout with a two-three finger mocha colored head. Nice consistency and creamy look to it.

S: roasted malts, hoppiness, a little chocolate and a smidge of oatmeal.

T. Nice! Bitter enough to keep you interested with a very roasted dark character. Like a bitter dark chocolates almOst.

Mf. Very full and carbonated. Great rich, dense mouthfeel. This is a little more to it than normal stouts. Which I like.

Overall I will be drinking this beer again for sure. I enjoyed this one for sure, it was super fresh as well.

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

A: dark as night brown, almost black with chocolate brown lacing.

S: chocolate oats and toasted malts, hints of coffee drift in.

T: smooth taste of chocolate, coffee and oats. Slight bitter taste.

M: rich and creamy feel.

D: one of my favorite oatmeal stouts. Rogue never let's me down. I'm sure I'll get it many times again.

3.42/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours a rich dark brown with a nice froth. Smells exactly like most stouts--malted with some hints of dark chocolate and honey. A little yeast as well. Taste is very roasty with dark chocolate flavor throughout. There is a hopped zing in the finish, which is subtle but evident. Good.

4.1/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A good to very good stout (getting progressively better as warms). Doesn't so much stand out due to any particular attribute so much as because it's so very well balanced. No instrument gets too loud in this one (unlike Rogue Double Chocolate); everything working in near perfect harmony.

A: Hard to describe the head because it's gone in a blink. (A later "hard pour" revealed a camel-colored head, still pulling a disappearing act after brief cameo. What emerges from beneath the vanishing head, though, is a nice dark stout -- essentially think "Coke, no ice". Some crimson coloring if you look deep. A nice web of suds stretches across the surface, with semi-moderate stickiness on the sides after a sip.

S: Earthy, oats/barley. Faint hint of chocolate chip oatmeal cookie, but all very, very faint (so much so that the foregoing description was a bit strained -- and perhaps even subject to wishful thinking). NOTE: A nice roasty, red fruit, and chocolate aroma kicks up after the beer breathes/warms for a while.

T: The subtle, nearly non-existent aroma precedes what I thought was a subtle, nearly non-existent taste. Even at that, I wasn't complaining. Too many beers seek to be too cute by half (with an overly artificial or "try too hard" infusion of ths or that -- Rogue Double Chocolate among them, in my estimation). This started out as just a nice, pleasant, smooth stout with a velvety, balanced taste. GIFT FOR THE PATIENT: However, as with the aroma, the beer takes on a more lively, forward nature after it warms a bit. Again, roasted chocolate / coffee aftertaste, with faint hint of vanilla. Very nice.

M: Extremely well balanced; excellent feel. Medium to full bodied. Thick, rich, creamy. Ranks among the most memorable in this category.

O: Again, it's a beer that pleases the impatient, rewards the patient. Starts out as a beer that doesn't seem overly complex -- unless complex in delivering an absolutely simple, balanced stout. Out of the refrigerator, I'd rate it as very good but not terribly exciting or fun; one dimensional (but one that excels in that one dimension). As time (and the beer's chill) wanes, it becomes even better -- with a more complex taste. On the bright side, whether you're the type to knock it back fast and then tell your latest war story or sip it over conversation, you'll find this beer very drinkable, imminently enjoyable.

Repeat? I don't waffle due to indifference for the beer; it's very good. And if it came in 4- or 6-packs, it might become a staple (like Founders Breakfast, Thirsty Dog's Siberian Night Imperial, Plead the Fifth, Left Hand Milk Stout, Samuel Smith's Imperial, etc. But alas, in the bomber bottle, though better priced than some of Rogue's other offerings, I'd probably just hold off and serve it with a group of friends over -- ever-confident, thouth, that it would be rated a "winner"...

Where Enjoyed? It's a great party starterwith friends -- appealing, I'm sure, to many different tastes/preferences. Given its excellent harmony, it's also pretty good over some cool jazz / classical music (which is nice, since a lot of my favorite beers are better over AC/DC or George Jones). And might I add it's also a nice pour to close out St. Paddy's Day (or to re-enact it on any given evening).

Two Words? Warm Harmony

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Presentation: Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Very Dark, Started with a small head and went away to a very thin layer of head, lacing down the entire pint glass to the end.

Aroma: Very Sweet, and Coffee like

Taste: Very coffee taste, hint of chocolate

Mouthfeel: Very drinkable, smooth, and good tasting.

Overall: I once had a Rogue beer that I didn't like at all, so I decided not to drink rogue beers, after reviewing the Rogue reviews on BA, I decided to give them a try again. I am glad I did, this was a great beer, and one I will enjoy again and again.

3.58/5  rDev -13.5%

BIg chocolate aroma mixed with floral hops. Pours pure black with a thick, rocky brown head. Loses some points because the head dissipates a little too quickly for a stout. Tastes of bitter hops with chocolate and roasted malts. A bit thin on the palate but the carbonation is pleasant. Lingering chocolate and bitter finish. This is a pretty damn good stout but it leaves a bit of room for improvement.

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Obtained at the Rogue Ales Public House in Portland, OR.

Poured by the Rogue pro beer tender. Firm head that stayed around to chat for a while.

Rich nose, deep creamy malty.

First sip is Oh So Creamy stout. Unsweetened cocoa flavor lingers on the palate.

Very easy to drink. One pint is not enough.

Instantly my my fav Rogue brew.

4.11/5  rDev -0.7%

Thick creamy head that rivals a cold-deck pint of Guinness. Color is a deep brown, rivaling the bottle. The head lingers as I drink the beer leaving long laces along the side I tip to my mouth. The smell of the beer is the only part that is lacking. I catch only a hint of roasted malts and chocolate. The beer tastes wonderful. This is where I found the roasted malts and chocolate flavors I yearn and some well balanced hints of hops to round out the beer. It is velvety on the tongue and the flavors linger as I swallow. Quite drinkable although the 22oz bottle can take awhile to finish.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales