Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,117 | Reviews: 1,567
3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours out a big light brown head that's thick and pillowy leaving a good lacing. The color is nice and black, like a stout should look.

The smell is aromatic with a light coffee smell. It's also spicy with a slight molasses smell. Dark fruit is also present, something like blackberry or currants.

The taste has roasted malts along with a bitter coffee taste without a lot of sweet hops to counteract the bitterness.

It is medium bodied. Has little aftertaste, but the aftertaste is coffee and roasted malts. It's dry and has a little carbonation.

Overall it's not very complex and a little one-sided and easy to drink beer. I will try another before I kick this one to the curb.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Shakespeare Stout pours black with a tan head from a brown twenty two ounce bottle. Nice aroma, hops are definitely peaking through the malt. Flavor includes nice chocolate and coffee notes as well as some hops. Creamy mouthfeel. This is a classic. Highly recommended.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a deep dark black with a tan head that leaves nice lacing lasting the duration of the entire drink. Dark roasted malt is followed by a nice hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is a little lighter than I expected. The balance of this brew is tremendous. It really is an excellent beer that is an excellent American stout.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. A generous, brown head formed on top of the black beer, leaving a nice amount of lacing as well.

Aroma is basically chocolate and coffee with a touch of hops. Nice aroma.

Taste reflects the aroma. Bitter chocolate and coffee. Molasses. Nice and dark tasting.

Slight pucker to mouthfeel brings this baby home. Very enjoyable. Must have more!!

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Finally, a few Rogue Ales are available in Calgary. 650 ml brown bottle with painted label.
This pours very dark brown (almost black) with a big mocha brown colored head. Good head stability taht leaves thin lacing clinging to the side of the glass. Hold it up to the light, and nothing comes through the ebony liquid. Lots of smells when swirled under the nose - roasted oats, tobacco smoke, and coffee aroma. Lots of flavor too, what you expect from a stout. Dark chocolate, prune-like fruitiness, and coffee are all present. There is just a touch of sour bitterness to help balance it all out. Good, full creamy body, it is easy to slowly sip and enjoy this one. Very good, but not sure I would rate as 'outstanding' imo. Can't wait to try some other Rogue selections.

Note to Self: Ranked the #5 American Stout when I tried it.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

In my poodonk town of Sarasota, Florida and my favorite beer pub, the Cock and Bull, (number 6th in the nation) there is a sign hanging up that proclaims this to be the best stout in America. Rogue hung this sign up after the last beer fest we had back in January and I've been staring at it for 5 months debating whether or not I should try it. So, last night I felt in a stout/porter mood, so I bought this beer.

Appearance: Jet Black with nice head and loads of lace.

Smell: Mild roasted malts, caramel, and bitter hops.

Taste: First of the night and it didnt stand a chance, I downed this 22 oz. bomber like it was water. Excellent complexity of all ingredients.

Mouthfeel: Light and caramel background.

Drinkability: Would make a nice Black and Tan with perhaps a Grimbergen Dubbel.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap in a pint glass, at Capt. Ankeny's. My Wednesday favorite, when pints are $2.50 apiece.

A: Inky black with a lingering one-finger tan head, tiny carbonation, lots of lace. A terrific looking stout, virtually black, with sticking bands of foamy lace.

S: Dark chocolate malt and bitter coffee aromas. Trace aromas of cherries, citrus and, well, burnt grain.

T: Terrific malty chocolate with bitterness of roasted coffee, bitterness and sweetness are very nicely balanced. Packs such a flavorful punch, replete with chocolate and a wonderful smoked grain.

M: Quite carbonated & with a hop bitterness that lingers for several minutes. Generally, rich and nicely creamy. Some malty sweetness on the lips.

D: Extremely enjoyable, tasty stout. It's one that's in the regular rotation of fine stouts available to me, must have on a weekly basis at least once. Definitely recommended.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours completely black with a big rich creamy chocolate brown head.

Aroma of roasted chocolate malt, a bit of malty sweetness and a mellow earthyness.

Dark bitter chocolate flavor, nice earthy hop bitterness. Hints of coffee, caramel, and sweet dark fruit.

Medium body with fairly noticable carbonation. Sightly powdery dry (astringency) mouthfeel (reminds me of unsweetened dark chocolate). Very dry finish.

A good beer but quite dry and astingent, this is brought out even more by the seemingly high carbonation. Dryness is also probably due to a highly attenuated yeast.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured pitch black with a thick, bubbly brownish head. The color was great - the head disappeared to leave just traces fairly rapidly.
The smell was of chocolaty oats with hints of fruity hops. The aroma was fairly strong - but pleasant - earthy tones.
The taste was of sweet chocolate blended with some bitter, fruity hops and a touch of yeast. As the drink progressed, more flavors became more manifest. After a few sips, I read the bottle more closely and saw that there were nine ingredients. I was not surprised, as it is a richly complex stout. The taste was very enjoyable.
It left a nice taste in the mouth - one that I would expect from a good stout. The alcohol was well-hidden. It was rich and creamy.
The impression it left me with was haven eaten a bowl of oatmeal accompanied with a rich chocolate milk.
This is a great, complex stout to have as a dessert drink.

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass...twice.

Appearance: Thick and black. The dark beige head looked pretty, but went away pretty quickly.

Smell: Didn't get it right away, but then the aroma of roasted oats and coffee came through. Nice.

Taste and mouthfeel: Whoa, this beer is smooth. I barely noticed the carbonation, but that wasn't a bad thing in this case. The roasted oats were the dominant flavor for me, they hit right away with a slight chocolate undertone. It tasted even better as the beer warmed up. I actually found the aftertaste a bit smoky.

Drinkability: A beer this smooth is definitely drinkable. But beware: this beer is filling, and it fills you up fast - the bomber was more than enough for me.

Notes: A big stout in every way but alcohol content. Big-bodied, big-flavored. A good choice any time of the year, but I suspect it would really hit the spot when the weather gets cold.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

I'm in Medford, Oregon on business, and picked up a bomber of Shakespeare Stout to drink after a long day.

I first drank this beer years ago, and other than remembering that it was good, couldn't really remember why.

The stout poured beautifully, and left a rich, creamy head; reminiscent of a nitro delivered ale at a brewpub! The head dissipated a bit more quickly than I would have preferred, but left a nice lace on the glass as I drank.

My first impression was, "what a great nightcap, tastes like coffee!" The roasted coffee flavor hit my palate first, followed by chocolate and a tang of hops.

This is a great stout-- one I will not wait to revisit for so long again!

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served from a bomber , into a pint , this stout poured an opaque black with a solid , tan , creamy head of an inch. Aroma is creamy and roasty , with some hop in there and tinge of creamed coffee. Taste is creamy and rich , yet not overpowering. Semi-sweet chocolate , coffee and roasty malt tones with a bit of nicely balancing hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is creamy. This stout from rogue is a great one. Awsomely balanced and very drinkable.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours a deep dark brown, almost black, opaque, with maybe a quarter inch dark brown head. Average retention, with little residual lacing.

Aroma is dark roasted malts, with dark chocolate and coffee
notes. Not getting much hop contribution to the nose.

Taste starts out with dark chocolate, moving towards roasted malt and coffee towards the back. Finish has a pleasantly mild coffee bitterness, along with noticeable citrus & piney hop contributions in the aftertaste.

Medium to full body, slighly creamy, with low carbonation. Perfectly balanced, and has everything you would want in the style. One of my pantry staples.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm a huge fan of the chocolate stout, so I thought I'd finally give this one a try.

A: Dark black with a tan head. Doesn't produce a lot of head, but there's a little retention & lace.

S: Roasted malt aroma is very mocha-like. Slight hint of piney hop aroma (I'm surprised it's from the cascades).

T: Certainly not as sweet as the chocolate stout (a little drier); more roasted flavour. It has a very pleasant roasted flavour... not at all burnt or harsh, very smooth. Perfectly balanced (not too sweet or dry) witha perfect roastyness. Dark bread, a little mocha, and a pleasant hop bitterness as well. Slight piney flavour... maybe a slight hint of orange-citrus from the cascade hops (doesn't seem like there were many late additions to the boil though).

M: Thick, chewy body, only slightly chalky. Carbonation is moderate. It's big & I like it!

D: Very drinkable... but it's a meal.

That's my 500th review. Looking forward to the next 500! :D

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

A 650ml bottle poured into pint glass.
Black body with a nice 'root-beer float', tan head that lingered for a long while.
smell of coffee, roasted chocolate, some florals and hops. Taste was of mostly that roasted chocolate, coffee and some toast. Creamy, smooth, with a slight bite on the end. Minimal aftertaste, but just enough to remind you of the flavor.
Drinks well at just below room temp.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a deep black with a minimal tan head. The chocolate malts that are used in processing are definitely apparent in the smell, which emits coffee as well. Taste is just sensational, with a smooth, creamy flavor and somewhat bitter and sour finish. Right up there with Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout as my favorites of the genre...

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is a beer that is definitely worthy of the reputation that precedes it. First-class in every regard and eminently drinkable.

It poured out of a 650 mL bomber utterly opaque with a huge, creamy tan head. The head dwindled but had great staying power and left intricate lacing on the sides of my pint glass.

The smell was of lightly roasted barley comingling with cocoa and coffee. The beautiful aroma carried over into the taste, which started with s-m-o-o-t-h malt and the cocoa sweetness I smelled earlier. The coffee came through next but wasn't overly bitter. Overall, it had a nice, medium-bodied feel on the palate and finished clean.

After I finished the formal part of my review, I finished off the bomber with a grilled burger topped with onions, green pepper and gouda cheese — paired with the food, the experience bordered on transcendent.

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%

You can't judge a beer by its bottle, but looking at this beer you can figure it will be tasty. I opened this beer and started to pour it into a glass and found it to have a very nice, very rich dark brown (almost black) color and a VERY nice light brown head. the head was thick and lasted for quite some time and left a heavy lace throughout the drink. As I havent drank many stouts, I was unfamiliar with the aroma but once I tasted the beer I realised what the smell meant and found it to be enjoyable. And as for the taste. this was a fantastic beer. very complex. it had a nice bold flavour without being overpowering. It was a relativly easy beer to drink, but I would imagine one bomber is about all I would want to drink at a time. not cause it gets old, but because it is a slow drink and leaves you full and satasfied. overall, I would recomend picking up a bottle you can get your hands on as it is one of the best stouts I have ever had.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at Flying Saucer.

Came to the table with little head, as with most beers from FS. Held up to 7 pm late afternoon sunlight through the window this beer didn't allow any light through. It left a light amount of whispy thin lace down the glass.
The nose was wonderfully dark chocolate and roasted malt.
I had high expectations for this beer, and it lived up to all that I've read. Bitter dark chocolate flavors cut through first. Roasted malt and a light hop bitterness finish.
I will definitely have many more pints of this. It was very easy to drink. By far the best stout I've had so far.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance: The beer looks great, Dark black with a brown head, light and frothy.
Smell: Has a great aroma, was a surprise to find a floral smell not a strong coffee or malted flavor.
Taste: Was very strong on the coffee flavor, burnt malt. not bad but not as good as I expected but still good.
Mouthfeel: The corbonation was good on this beer, has a nice thick feel to it.
Drinkablity: I enjoyed the beer, however I am not a coffee drinker and I thought this beer was more coffee than beer.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured from the 22 oz bomber into a pint glass. The beer itself is black with a nice 1/2 inch brown head sitting atop the liquid that lingers for well into the glass. Excellent lacing as the beer is consumed. Something about a nice dark stout with a thick head makes me want to a give out a rare 5, this beer is no exception.

Smell: Malty (usual roasted malts with the scent of chocolate and I get a hint of burnt earth/coffee with it as well). This one is also has a nice floral aroma to it as well, my guess is due to the hops used.

Taste: What can you say, but excellent. A very nicely malt/hop balance to this stout. It is nicely hopped, finished with a bitter flurry after my senses have been bombarded by the heavy roasted malts. Roasted oats, taste of chocolate. Just a well balanced beer IMO. The only thing that keeps this from a 5 is the very slight overuse of hops, IMO. I tend to go for a stout that leans a little moreso to the roasted malts side, just a personal preferrence.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, yet not real heavy. Its lively enough and the hoppy, bitter aftertaste is prickly on the tongue.

Drinkability: This is a ridiculously easy to consume beer. Just outright good, but at over 5% ABV, one must enjoy in moderation. I bought one bomber for $4.99 (a good deal IMO) and found another at a grocery store for $4.49 (an even better deal). One I will definitely purchase again.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours quite dark brown, once in the glass it appears black. The head started out quite large for a stout, but it is quickly falling back into a finger depth. Tan on black, a good look for a stout.

The smell is pretty big on citrus hops, almost like a hoppy APA or IPA. The roasted malt is there, but it seems to be drowned out by the bitterness. Not bad, but different for the style.

Taste reaffirms for me that this is an American Stout. A fair amount of roasted coffee and sweet maltiness starts up this beer. I do find that the finish has Cascade hops, and it tries to compete with the malt, but comes up a bit short. I don't seem to find the flavour as full as some of the reviewers, but it is pretty good.

Mouthfeel is also quite nice. Definite chewiness to it, and the carbonation is good, though I find it just a little higher than many stouts.

I can't argue that this is a very good beer, but I don't find it quite living up to the hype. It sure does go down smooth though, and I have nothing against having a bomber of this in my fridge.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This offers one of the darkest heads I've seen on any stout, a dark cocoa/brown, and its fluffy, creamy look is tops. Sits atop the expected opaque night-dark body, with quite a few bubbles racing up the sides. Good lacing too. I just wish that awesome head had stuck around longer. Disappeared wit' a quickness.

Aroma is a dusty, lighter cocoa/coffee fragrance with barely detectable citrus/hops aromas further back and a pervading toffee presence.

The chocolate/coffee elements rush to the fore with every sip, which is no surprise, but there's a buoyancy here that makes this a very easy-drinking stout. Hops presence is felt, but its use in this recipe seems conservative. There's a cool nuttiness happening deep into the sip. Nice aftertaste similar to that bitterness you get after munching on a coffee bean. I like.

Mouthfeel is not thick, but not thin either. Like baby bear's porridge, it's just right. (I'd take this over porridge any day, if we're talking nutritious breakfasts.) It's creamy as can be but lacking the heaviness of some stouts. Often reminds of a porter in terms of flavors and mouthfeel.

One of Rogue's best creations, no doubt. Utterly enjoyable in every way.

3.51/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured from a Rogue bomber at a poker game, right after drinking Stone Russian Imperial Stout. The Rogue seemed flavorless after the Stone.

It looked really good (pitch black with dark tan foam) but the aroma and flavor seemed weak. I tasted burnt malt, not strong enough to be offensive. I can't really see why this is highly rated by so many people. I probably won't get it again.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thick and black, slick oily residue. It's looking good so far.

Toffee, caramel, roasted pistachio's and malt.

A smooth stout that brings on huge malts, dark chocolate, and espresso notes. Great balance between the hop and malt.

Smooth and creamy, easy drinking. This is a great stout and I can definitely see me doing it again.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales