Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

I had this out of a 22 oz brown bottle and served in a pint glass.

Appearance is a jet black color. Dirty brown head that looks fluffy. Awesome lacings.

Smell is roasted malts and coffee.

Tastes of chocolate, molasses, and coffee. Slighty ripe bitterness on the finish. Robust and full flavored.

Great American stout.

Hibernator, Sep 06, 2004
3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

There is something about this beer that makes it shy of being a "great beer."

The appearance was awesome. Huge head all the way down the glass. Deep black color.... opaque.

Aroma...???? Having a tough time with this one. Appears to be very faint, not getting much hops or malt through the nose. Just a faint whiff of chocolate and dark crystals.

Taste? Pretty well balanced. However, finishes leaving you wanting for more. It's almost as if there are not enough flavor hops... a certain entity is tardy... or despondent altogether.

Pretty thin in the mouthfeel... expecting a fuller bodied brew.

All in all, this beer is moderately drinkable.

Sixpoint, Sep 01, 2004
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

I was highly anticipating this beer as i am a big fan of porters and stouts and this seemed to have very top ratings.

This beer pours black as night with a nig big tan brown head, and bubbles creeping up the side of my brandy snifter. The aroma is very much of deep roasted malts, coffee, chocolate and some hops. The taste is huge. Wonderful rich thick roasted malts, a hint of chocolaty sweetness, and a little bitter hop kick to finish and balance it all off. The beer is garganguan and its rich creamy body coats the mouth as it is swallowed, yet very suprisinly it is very drinkble as it leaves me begging for more.

This stout is all that i anticipated and more, fantastic job by Rogue.

OhioBulldog, Aug 25, 2004
4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

When first becoming a BA I swore off this stout because of the intense burnt taste to it. Recently, when my local beer distributor got in a fresh batch, I decided to give it a go. I don't know if my first bottle was bad, or my tastes have simply matured, but wow. oh wow. Thick and rich this beer tingles all my senses. A mild nose, strongly of roasted and caramel malts. first taste has kind of a subdued sweetness, followed by a massive slam of stout goodness. Roasty, and a little chocolaty, this beer slams my senses. In the mouth it feels huge, part from the thick body, and part from the large flavor. As it leaves my mouth the chocolate flavor shines through.

wonderful, simply wonderful.

Charthepirate, Aug 19, 2004
3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

The body is blacker than black. Spinal Tap would describe it as a "pastel black". The head is a hearty nut-brown color, not wussy off white. Black liquorices is in the smell, and something smelled a little sour. The mouth feel is smooth, no doubt. The first impressions are a burnt toast / dark roasted malt flavor. Followed by some bitterness. The after taste starts as chocolate and then progresses to a coffee / espresso flavor. I think this stout is a little too "in your face" for my liking, "this one goes to 11". If they kept all the same flavors, but just dialed down their intensity so they blend together better I would probably love it.

danadeny, Aug 16, 2004
3.8/5  rDev -8.7%

Beautiful, think, rich brown head. Long lasting. Black as night. Man this beer has my mouth watering. It really looks great.

I'm not really getting anything special in the nose. Some roasty toasty ness.

Tastes like dark roast coffee, chocolate, burnt toast.

I think it might be a touch thin, but not watery. Maybe too much carbonation.

Not what I'd call and easy drinker, but I could see having 2 or 3 in a session.

All in all, another good offering from the guys at Rouge.

tjthresh, Aug 14, 2004
3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

This was one of the blackest beers I have ever poured out, with a huge creamy tan head.

The aroma that I got was mainly of the roasted malts and alcohol... I would have preferred less of a pronounced alcohol aroma. It may have been an older bottle though.

The taste was of strong roasted barley. There were hints of bitter chocolate and some good hoppy bitterness as well.

The mouthfeel was not as big to me as the flavor was. I thought it could have had a little more body.

Would I drink another, Yes, but not right away. Too many other beers to try before I revisit this one... build more of a palette before going back.

connecticutpoet, Aug 11, 2004
3.78/5  rDev -9.1%

From a 22 oz bottle.

Appearance: A beautiful black beer with a nice dark brown head. And it was a lot of head at that. This beer had great head retention with excellent lacing.

Smell: Great roasted smell, kind of like coffee.

Taste: Here's where the beer goes downhill. To me this was not that exceptional of a stout. It was a decent stout whith a good roasted flavor, but I did not get any of the citrusy hops that other reviewers described. There was also a sort of ash like flavor. I also did not perceive the chocolate flavor that I keep hearing that this beer has. Above average, but not great.

Mouthfeel: Very good and full bodied, just the way I like my stout.

Drinkability: Similar to the flavor, this was average average, but not great.

Perhaps I got a bad bottle. Maybe something happend on the long trip from Oregon to West Virginia. I don't know, but this beer did not live up to my expectations. I may try it again, but at almost five bucks for a 22 oz bottle, I am quite hesitant. I have had better West Coast Stouts and would rather spend seven bucks on a six pack of Sierra Nevada Stout than Five on one bottle of this. Your mileage may vary.

thecoldesquire, Aug 04, 2004
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

I've been holding on for this bottle for awhile. Pours a crude oil black with a phenomenal caramel tan mocha head that is incredible, the cake laced froth will coat the glass throughout the session. The smell is the normal mocha espresso/chocolate roast that is pleasing, this stout however didn't have much else to add, the smells weren't heavy either. The taste was lighter than expected, more roasted or bbq wood/grain, hints of coffee, misses that sweet caramel/chocolate I've come accustomed to, good but not great, medium bodied and cleanses the palate to invite you back for more, a good solid stout, I thought would be great though.

beertaster13, Aug 03, 2004
4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

This already has a lot of reviews from many better reviewers than myself, so I will be short.

Basics:

This beer is dark dark dark with a great copper head that lingers. The aroma is crisp, malty, so refreshing somehow. Mouthfeel is fairly light for a stout, but just fine in my opinion. Great taste. (Boring)

What I really like about this Stout is that it has all the great charactoristics of a traditional stout, with a GREAT hoppy bitterness that stays with you the rest of the night. There are lots of roasted malts, chocolate malts, etc, but this brew is (from my experience thus) incomparably smooth, flavorful, and clean...with just the right amount of sweetness and creaminess to make it great, but not overly cloy-ish or like milk. I will be drinking this the rest of my life and I recommend you do as well.

dmbfrat420beers, Jul 30, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

The beer arrived pitch black with a brown tall head which lasted to lace...no coat...the glass.

The aroma was chocolate and coffee, fruity, with a nice hop presence.

The flavor was chocolate with coffee with a very well accomplished hop bitterness and American hop presence.

The finish was dry with chocolate and coffee and hop bitterness lasting well into the aftertaste. The body was full.

Pint at Barley's in Knoxville.

GCBrewingCo, Jul 29, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Once upon a time Rogue brewed its masterful ales in Ashland, OR, home of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. Ashland is a small town with about six Shakespeare theaters and it seems as though every waitress and bartender is an actor of some stripe. The flood of ’96 washed out Rogue’s Ashland operation and the brewery expanded into its present location in Newport. But the Shakespeare theme has endured and Shakespeare Stout is a Rogue milestone.

Everything good you’ve ever heard about this beer is true. It is black as night, full-bodied and opaque, and has a luxurious chewy mouthfeel. The aroma is dry – faint though fragrant. The lace is flawless, and the taste is creamy and dry with a delicate brush of mocha. The finish lingers like a church bell in the mist.

I drank this at the Rogue Public House in Newport and found it to be a world class stout, mellow enough for sessions. A true champion.

RedDiamond, Jul 28, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

i grabbed a big-ass bottle of this stout at gooski's in polish hill(pittsburgh). cool painted bottle with good ole bill shakespeare on it. pours a pitch black with an earth colored, billowing head. smell is chocolate coffee with a little hops in the back. taste was a delicious match of hops and chocolate malts that go down smooth. mouthfeel was heavy and a little syrupy, little carbonation. very drinkable, very good stout

ramrod666, Jul 23, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Serving type: 22oz. Bomber served in a 16oz shaker.

Appearance: I had to force a head with a second pour. It was probably not worth the effort either, because it yielded a short, quickly dissipating, creamy tan head. It did leave a nice coat of lacing on my glass though.

Smell: My sniffer is happy! Roasted malts, chocolate, and floral hops aroma.

Taste: Wow! extremely smooth. Different from what I had expected. Bittersweet chocolate, roasted malt, and coffee, with some earthy undertones. Harsh hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, dry bitter finish.

Drinkability/Overall: Surprisingly smooth and well balanced. This is the epitome of American Stouts!

noclue, Jul 22, 2004
4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

22oz bomber. Pours out a opaque pitch black color with a towering dark brown rocky head. The head dwindles down a bit while you drink this but it never disappears. An excellent smattering of lacing is also left about the glass. The aroma filled my nose full of wonderful scents of dark chocolate and roasted coffee. A good smell but not overpowering with hints of citric hops added into the mix as well. Dark chocolate and coffee flavors dominate most of the taste here. Mingling about is also citric hops, roasted malt flavors and a slight smokiness. Very tasty beer indeed with a lot going on in it. The wonderful taste is enhanced by the rich and creamy mouthfeel and the full body of this beauty. Excellent drinkability here with not much slowing you down from putting a few of these away. One of my favorite stouts for sure, give it a try if you haven’t already.

meathookjones, Jul 19, 2004
4.7/5  rDev +13%

This is only the second Rogue beer, after Old Crustacean, that Ive tried. I can't believe they had it at the Liquor Control Board of Ontario - LCBO (which carries no American Craft beers other than Anchor).
The Bottle design is very cool with lots of Shamrocks and a drunken Irishman and lots of information about the beer.
The beer pours an opaque black with a very thick consitency. The head is very dark tan, like two shades darker than Guinness. The aroma is mostly of citrusy cascade hops, with a bit of roasted grains and dark chocolate. The taste of this beer is spectacular. It kind of reminds me of a cross between a dry stout and Anchor Liberty ale, very hoppy, yet still retaining stout characteristics. Perfectly balanced. The mouthfeel is thick and oily but not excessively so. This is truly a remarkable beer, I want to try all the Rogue brews. Stupid discriminatory LCBO.

CAMRAhardliner, Jul 18, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

It pours a dark black with a brown creamy looking head that lasts and imparts some whispy lacing. Smell is malt with light coffee aroma and hops, smell is little on light side when compared to the flavor. Tastes is smooth lightly sweet leading into a moca choclate coffee flavor that that turns lightly bitter then the cascade takes control and impart a dose of hop flavor and a good does of bitterness. This stout is wonderful full bodied complex and a well rounded brew. Highly recomended it is one of the best stouts I have had to date.

mntlover, Jul 18, 2004
4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: Black as night. A nice, one finger, brown head forms and hangs around for a few minutes. After a while, it dissipates down to a very thin covering, and it stays there. Nice lacing down the glass as it goes.

Smell: The hoppiest stout I've ever encountered. The hops scent is strong and tangy. In equal measure with the hops is a wonderful roasted scent. Strong coffee present. Potpourri should smell this good.

Taste: A brief note of cream-like sweetness as it hits the tip of the tongue. Next a rich roasted espresso flavor with strong, bitter hops. The flavor gets more strongly roasted and burnt as it goes down. Lovely, long coffee-like finish. Do I detect a trace of smoke? I do. Oh boy, this tastes good.

Mouthfeel: Plenty thick and highly carbonated. Feels like I think this style of stout should. Not as creamy and smooth as an Irish stout, instead a brash, aggressive force in your mouth.

Drinkability: Honestly, I could drink this all the time. The beautiful, big-ass bitter roasted goodness paired with the big-ass mouthfeel means that some people will have trouble drinking this one. I weep for them.

Final Notes: This might well be my favorite beer. It's unquestionably my favorite dry stout. This beer is unafraid to be big and ruthless. It's good. It’s so good.

nogoodreason, Jul 13, 2004
4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Bought a case to share over the weekend, it was a good choice since we had no fridge... This is a nice stout in general, colour is blackish brown with a big brown head that is nice and fluffy and takes a while to go down enough to drink. Then again I think I poured it way too fast so it got all excited and super foamy at first. That's ok. It didnt smell like much to me, but it was roasty and kind of hoppy, some coffee aroma in there. Taste was very good, very roasty and toasty, coffee, teeny bit of molasses or something sweet, but just a hint, and hops. Definitely more hoppy than sweet, but not at all bitter. Mouthfeel was towards the thin side to me but just about perfect, and drinkability is good because of this. I was happy with this stout and would get it again.

erica, Jul 12, 2004
4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

This beer pours a dark brown with hints of red where the light manages to peek through. The head is about half a finger thick and looks like ovaltine.

I really don't get much off the nose on this one. At first when it was colder it was soy sauce and molasses, but warmer I get even less. Some coffee, some chicory, a little burnt toast in there too. Not much smell.

Taste is nice. Rich deep coffee and toast flavors predominate with some very subtle chocolate and molasses notes in the back. Solid nice stout that isn't cloying. As a matter of fact, there is really nothing sweet in this beer at all.

Mouthfeel is the right thickness. Not too thick and not too thin. A good mouthfeel. There is a slight prickly sensation from the carbonation, but that adds a nice dimension.

I suppose if I were in a stout drinking mood, this one would go nicely one after another.

silenius, Jun 29, 2004
3.88/5  rDev -6.7%

a great brew... one I might be underdevoloped for.

The appearance is very dark and the smell is good and roasted... just like the taste. The most uniquely emphasized attribute of this beer is its significant roasted flavour. Its full in the sense that there is a lot going on: dark coffee and bits of ester, not as frothy-mouth-feeling as I would have liked and the roasted flavour blew me away as I finished the 750 ml bottle.

they should call it the double-roasted stout!! very good

aaronbeach69, Jun 15, 2004
4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

Opaque, very dark brown color, with a tan head that quickly diminished and it left no lacing. Aroma of roasted malts, and light oats. Had a very creamy, roasted/coffee flavor. I heard from a friend that this was an oatmeal stout, I wasn't able to tell?

egajdzis, Jun 14, 2004
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Pitch-dark black, very murky, thin tan head, still as night. The nose is a bit tough to detect; maybe some piney notes, barley, roasted malts. Dry, very dry up front. Dark roasted malts, coffee beans, espresso, all of them noted in the first few sips. A tender sweetness comes into play, barley and chocolate also noted. Just when you think you can't be taken, the Cascade hops come in to play, here to stay. Mix in the flavors mentioned early on with some hop-bite and you've got quite a stout. Summed up as big and bold, hearty, flavorful and enjoyable, the ratings are well-deserved; a great tasting 'hopped' up stout; my hat is tipped to the brewmasters who dreamed up this great wonder!

GeoffRizzo, Jun 06, 2004
4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

I've been looking forward to finding this one...

Pours black as death with a small ruby/brown head. The head is creamy a dissipates fairly quickly but looks like some is trying to hang on to the side.

The smell is more noticeable than many beers I've had lately. Mostly like a mocha coffee smell, maybe a touch sweeter. A little toasty malt smell in there too.

The taste goes through many nice stages throughout the drink. The mild coffee taste starts in front and some candy sweetness in the back. The aftertaste really pays off with the chocolate and a bit more of the coffee. A wonderful taste.

This is a little more carbonated than most stouts. Might be the only thing even slightly wrong with this brew, and it isn't bad. It still goes down great and the taste doesn't hurt it.

Not much to say about drinkability. This bomber was great....and I so wish I had another. This has great taste without being too hard on your head. Great for sessions!

A couple of quick postscripts: 1) This is warming a bit and getting even better. 2) If you're in the KC area I found this at the south Gomer's, my first sighting of this great brew.

DPMomutant, Jun 04, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +1.4%

Appearance:

Completely opaque, black, with a slightly ruby-brown quarter inch head.

Smell:

Cotton candy malts are present, with a hint of burnt coffee.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Flavors are amazing. A strong roasted coffee-chocolate engulfs the mouth, finishing with a bitter chocolate sweetness. This would be a perfect brew if it were just a little smoother on the mouth (I still compare to the Samuel Smith standard, though this come close to perfection).

cbl2, Jun 02, 2004