Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Wow! Great! I can't believe I have not tried this until now. Picked up a bomber the other day. Poured pitch black in color. With a two-finger deep, chocolate brown head. The nose came across as very smoky. The flavor was malts, more smoke, burnt chocolate, and with a very subtle but pleasant hoppy bitter bite. What does it for me is the mouthfeel. Very bold and full. Does not hold abck and tease but smacks you right in the teeth. Very easy to drink and hard to put down. If it were not for th damn snowstorm outside I would go buy some more.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours as black as black can be. Can't see through it even when held up to a light. Very small brown head that leaves a nice ring of lace around the glass. Smells thick and robust. Aromas of beautiful roasted malt with notes of coffee & chocolate. Some hop aromas and faint smells of alcohol but the wonderful character of the roasted malt makes you quickly forget about it. Taste is very wonderful. A wonderful taste of of a beautiful roasted malt that contains all the flavors that it should - coffee, chocolate and a nice roasted bitterness. As stouts go everything here is just balanced wonderfully. Leaves a nice coffee like bitter aftertaste and a slight warming feeling going down. A bit too thick to be highly drinkable, but I don't think that is the intent one this one - just enjoy.

3.69/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought this on tap at Kelly's Olympian in Portland. As usual with Rogue brews, it came at a hefty premium (an extra 75c) over the other craft brews.

Dark as one would expect with a thick, light brown coloured head which made the feel luxurious for the first few sips.

Smells sweet and malty.

As I hinted above, the feel is wonderful. Early on I feel like I am draining a light mousse, but even as the head dissipates the beer still slides down very smoothly.

The taste in sequence: cream; brown bread; chocolate; coffee; hint of hops (nothing like the potency I am used to from Rogue); oatmeal.

Fortunately for me the coffee flavour is very faint, and is insignificant in comparison with the others.

Unusually for a stout I feel that I could down a few of these in a row, although I doubt I would want to. One is enough - a very pleasant stout, but more of curiosity than a session beer for me.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Comes in a 22oz capped bomber. Cost $2.99.

Pours a dark brown to black with hints of red. Thicher chunky head with tones of carmel.

Smells of esspresso, chocolate, and barley. Reminds me of a dark maduro cigar.

Tastes as it smells, with more bitterness. No real taste of alcohol. The after taste is rich and chocolaty, with something that reminds me of hard pretzels. It feels a little less thick than one would think baised on the colors. Its smooth and is something I enjoy sitting and drinking pint after pint of.

4.41/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from a 22 ounce painted label bottle with a brief description of the beer. When poured, it comes out a dark brown, very thick with no transparency. The head is a frothy brownish tan about an inch thick. The head gives way to a small amount of Belgian lace.

The aroma is chocolate and coffee with a definite malty smell. The taste is of chocolate and malt with a distinctive, but mile alcoholic flavor. There is a slight amount of hop flavor in the aftertaste giving it a very pleasant bitterness.

An excellent stout and one of my favorites.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

Inky black color with a thick brown head that drapes on the glass later as a lace. The nose is roasted dark malt with chocolate overtones, mild coffee and subtle cherry. Hops come across late in the aroma. The flavor has more cherry than I detected in the nose. Chocolate covered cherries is the 1st impression I get. The roasted malt and coffee character takes over from there with the hops layered in the finish showing as a tangy floral character. The mouth feel is a velvet smooth character I’ve really come to love from fine stouts. This is a very drinkable beer, great representation of the style.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours midnight black with a generous dark tan head that leaves plenty of lacing.

The smell has roasted notes, molasses, plenty of malt, and you can smell those cascade hops in the end. This one has a lot of balance in the nose.

The taste falls along the same lines as the smell, but with a bit of chocolate thrown into the finish. Nice velvety mouthfeel, right in line with what would be expected for the style.

Very drinkable, IMO.

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%

I will never forget last night when I tried this one out at the Town Pump bar in Black Mountain, NC. My drunk co-worker bought this for a female friend who wanted a Bud Light. She handed this off to me. When I left for the bathroom, I came back to find out the guy poured half the pint glass into his. After enjoying my half (which was one of the best stouts I've experience), the guy fell into the band's music stands and upright bass. The owner and bassist almost kicked his ass as he continued to argue with everyone. We all got kicked out but at least the owner told me I could come back (after I paid with the guys credit card and left him a fat tip). Memories.

4.4/5  rDev +6%

The pour is very dark. It reminds me of coffee.

The head is creamy and brownish beige and smells a bit nutty. The head left almost no lace on the glass as it receded.

The taste is of chocolate and roasted malt flavor. There is a bit of bitterness. Some of the bitterness and roasted flavors stay with you until you take the next sip.

The mouthfeel was super smooth with a medium body. This is definately an easy drinker and a good candidate for a sesion beer.

Thinking about it makes my mouth water. I think I'll have another.

3.71/5  rDev -10.6%

Appearance: Pours a rich black body with a beautiful deep tan head; lots of lacing on the glass

Smell: Maybe it's just my bottle, but the nose is relatively closed; I pick up a bit of chocolate-covered cherries if I try real hard

Taste: Also a bit disappointing; very smooth and builds a decent bitterness on the finish but very restrained overall. (I'll have to try another bottle at another time as this one is not doing much for me.)

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, creamy and smooth

Drinkability: Certainly drinkable, but my bottle doesn't merit the accolades others have given this brew

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This stout pours a deep, dark opaque brown, with a prominant nutty brown head. The foam subsides rather quickly with no remnants on the side of the glass.

This beer smells delicious. Very earthy. Definitely a stout.
Mouth feel is pretty smooth which is to be expected from a stout. Caramel undertones coupled with oaty goodness. This is a well made brew. Slight alcohol tinge followed by a very subtle chocolate tone. Overall a very enjoyable, very drinkable stout. Cheers!

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

Dark chocolate silk with just enough complexity to always be interesting yet not so intense so as to lose drinkability. This is THE session stout. Aroma is chocolate-covered black raspberries. The roastedness is strong but melds seamlessly with the other flavors of caramel and hops. Yes, the hops are there, just like we expect from Rogue, but they are not overly fruity. Their flavor adds earthiness and life to the aroma and a vinous depth to the flavor. Body is medium-thin, but the low carbonation stops it from feeling at all fizzy. Lingering bitterness and roasted acidity tantalize the taste buds for another sip. Oh yeah, this is nice.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Although I've had this many times before, I've never bothered to review it. Pours into my Achel chalice a pitch black brew topped by a healthy dollup of milk chocolate colored head. Head retention is decent and it laces nicely as it settles.

Inticing aromas of darkly toasted malts, mocha latte', chocolate, and pinecone hops. I'm also picking up dried fruit, dates, licorice and soft florals.

Big, chewy flavors of scorched coffee, bittersweet chocolate, pumpernickle bread, molasses, figs, and creamy caramel malts tickle my taste buds. Hoppy for a stout, but expertly balanced and absolutely quaffable.

Mouthfeel is medium to big and chewy. Carbonation could be a little less aggressive, but 10 minutes in the glass and it's perfect. Quite silky and velvety. Creamy malts and pine drenched hops fight it out for the finish. As always, one of Rogue's best and it's even better on draft.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Wow, This beer pours an incredible dark brown which is just a few shades short of black. The generous and rocky head is also a deep tan that I've rarely seen.

The aroma is that of coffee and toasted malts. You can smell the roasting malts and the citrusy character of the cascade hops.

Tastes so rich and so incredible malty. The roasted flavor covers the palate and rests in the back of the mouth. As the beer goes down the hop bitterness comes into play at equal strength. The malts are not overwhelmed by the hops, and the hops are not overwhelmed by the malts. This is a perfectly balanced beer, and tastes so smooth.

Goes down easy, the carbonation is appropriate for a stout, not too high at all. Feels wonderful in the mouth, this beer is thick, but not syrupy by any means.

Tastes great, smells great, and a joy to look at. I will buy this again and again.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Heard a lot of good things about this one and all the hype was right. Amazing brew. Appears a dark dark dark brown, not quite black, with a little brown head that slowly fades out. Smells roasty and malty with a bit of bitterness thrown in. Burning tar sort of? That's a good thing by the way. This is the hoppiest stout I've ever had for sure. Not to say that it isn't malty, because it definately is. Roasted toasted malts galore, espresso bean flavor, not too sweet, just how I like it. And the best thing is, it has a super bitter hoppy kick to it in the end and a very dry finish. I don't think I've really experienced that in a stout before. Leave it to Rogue. Bunch of inovators...

3.4/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A-Pours very black-forms a tan head which disappears fast. Some lace is left on the glass.

S- dark roasted malt with some bitterness. You can pick up some moderately strong phenols as well--surprising for a 6% ABV.

T-maybe I am not into Rogue cuz I don't think this is anything special at all. It has your standard micro/brewpub stout taste -- kind of rich and roasty--some coffee/chocolate bitterness again nothing too out of the ordinary.

MF-dry mouthfeel. I like a little more creaminess and fluffiness in a stout.

D- very average. I doubt I will buy this again.

4.31/5  rDev +3.9%

Appearence: Pours an extremely dark black with a tremendous, frothy chocolate head.

Smell: Smells strong and powerful, almost like coffee. The alcohol presence is a bit alarming considering the 6% ABV.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Suprisinly robust for such a "small" stout. The flavors are potent and powerful, leaving a great aftertaste that lingers for a while. Truly how a stout should taste. The mouthfeel is smooth and full.

Drinkability and Overall: Classic stout. Everything you want and need in a stout is available in this beer. Strong, yet highly drinkable. One of the best. Rogue has, once again, outdone themselves.

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%

650ml bottle. Gave it a few minutes to warm a bit before opening.

Appearance: Pours a vicous black, with cascading tan bubbles forming a substantial head thick enough to stand a coin on it. Not even the strongest light penetrates this mysterious brew. An intimidating pour.

Smell: Subtle notes of coffee, chocolate, and dark barley. Just as mysterious. I expected to be bludgeoned by the aroma, and instead it just entices.

Taste: Wow. Just...wow. Dark notes of black coffee, mocha, and smoke. There is bitterness there, but it is tempered by a velvet smoothness. finishes much cleaner than one expects of the style. No cloying bitterness or lingering aftertaste. Lovely.

Mouthfeel: Silky.

Drinkability: Like a fine port or steak, this is not something I'd drink every day. It's just too fine and rich a brew. This is what stout should be. I can't imagine why I waited as long as I did trying it.

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance - Black color, with a light brown, rocky head. Head retention is okay, but not great.

Smell - I tend to think about expresso when I smell this beer. The roasty smell matches up with the flavor.

Taste - The label says it all: "an earthy flavor that comes from oats, and a mellow chocolate aftertaste." Delicious, although "earthy" is not the first thought than came to mind. "Roasty" and "coffee-like" are how I would describe it. It is also well-balanced; the malty roastiness is not cloying, and the hops are able to express themselves a little bit. The aftertaste is strong, again reminiscent of a fine coffee.

Mouthfeel - Nice and thick, the way stout ought to be. Everything about the mouthfeel is stout.

Drinkability - Highly drinkable. This stuff goes down oh so easily, and I keep wanting more.

Comments - If you have friends that don't like "dark beers," get them to try this one. The flavor is complex, but not something that should scare off new craft beer drinkers. On second thought, "earthy" desribes this beer very well.

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

Pour is inky-black with brown highlights, no light transmission, and a brown head that fades too quickly into just a ring (lost points for that). Aroma is strong, dark and sweet, malty with hints of sorghum.

Taste is roasty, very dark patent malt but rather dry instead of sweet. Some elements of espresso, baking cocoa and molasses among some respectable bitterness for a stout. Bit of an unusual tang of dark fruits, maybe raisins or prunes, and now that I read other reviews, the rich oaty taste becomes evident.

Body is not thin but the mouthfeel is slightly thinner than expected. Probably keeps its drinkability higher, though, as anything thicker would cause that number to fall. Tons of flavor, an excellent example of a very good dry stout that certainly beats the pants off a Guinness.

2.37/5  rDev -42.9%

Being a big fan of stouts, I was so happy to pick up a bottle of what seemed to be one of the highest rated stouts on BA. To this point, my two favorite stouts are Brooklyn Black Chocolate and Mackesons. So I was hoping to add a new one to my list.

The beer poured a dark thick almost black color with a reddish head... looked very good and made me anxious to taste. Hardly any aroma though... seemed very strange. Now for the taste... burnt, bitter and hoppy. Burnt like the way Starbucks overroasts their coffee beans. Hoppy... I've never had a stout with so much hops presence... not very typical of the style in my opinion. Bitter... this lingering bitterness in my mouth that I typically get from those over-the-top IPAs.

Just not my cup of tea... or mug of stout...

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

This beer pours pitch black has a one finger head with good retention and some thick lacing. The aroma is of chocolate malt with hints of pine. The flavor is malty chocolate,coffee,caramel come through with a little bit of grassy hops in the finish. This beer is full bodied and highly carbonated.

Reflection: This is another good stout from Rogue but it can't compete with their Imperial.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a deep opaque black color with a firm chocolate head about a half inch high that leaves a nice lacing on the glass. Aromas consist of a mix of cocoa and coffee along with additional roastiness and just a hint of oats. There is also just a touch of hops in the nose which really makes this brew smell quite nice. Flavors start off with a nice smack of roastiness and chocolate with hints of oats in the mix. There is a really creamy mouthfeel to this brew with a nice chewy body to it. Following there are notes of coffee and just a hint of astringency from the malts, but it is mostly subdued due to the nice additions of oats. The finish is hoppy and chocolatey with just enough bitterness that makes this brew perfectly balanced. I'm not sure if stouts get much better than this.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

My first Shakespeare Stout. The beer pours a jet black color with a small dark tan head that sits just over the top of he liquid. The nose is very roasted, with coffee coming through most dominant and a sweet chocolate in the background. Its not quite as strong in the nose as I would want. The flavor is really nice. A nice bittersweet chocolate moves to a sweeter candy chocolate, finally finishing with a really nice coffee bitter. Wow. This is a nice stout. The feel is a shade above moderate, with just a slight creamyness, but with an overall smoothness that is very enjoyable. This beer is disappearing very quickly from my glass, so how can drinkability be anything but good on this one. This is keeping me company while my wife and my family are at a movie that I didn't want to see. I'd trade the movie for this beer any day.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours motor-oil black with a *dark* tan, reddish head, ample and dimpled (though with large bubbles).

Stong aroma of roasted malts and Cascade hops - those two elements are so overpowering that I can't pick up anything else.

The taste is quite shocking. There's the big, dry roastiness - that was to be expected. There's also the substantial mouthfeel and earthy creaminess from the oats - expected that too. There's also plenty of chocolate and highly-caramelized toffee-type flavors. However, this beer also packs a wollop of 69 Cascade-induced IBUs. That's IPA range. Hot damn, this is decidedly American, and quite visionary. Why'd it take me so long to return to this beer? My only complaint would be that the sheer intensity of the roasted malt and hop flavors make it slightly-less than supremely drinkable.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales