Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours beautifully into my glass, a deep and dark black that continues to appear solid, even when held to a bright light. Even the edges are just slightly lighter, say charcoal, rather than betray this beer to having any color. A nice head settled in, but then faded down as I waited a bit for this beer to come to a proper temperature. At that point, the head came down to a thick film, with the usual Pacman "moon crater" divots in it.

Aroma was disappointing, being mostly of the yeast, with a few Cascade notes in the back. Nothing that really impressed me, to be honest.

The taste of this, I'm happy to report, was an improvement over the aroma, containing subtle chocolate notes, a smooth and low-key roastiness, and a distinct Cascade finish. This was never astringent or overly roasty, just right in the middle.

Mouthfeel was a bit thinner than I would have liked, but it wasn't shabby.

Drinkability, I feel, was again not great, but not terrible. A bomber was enough for me.

All in all, this isn't the first time I've had this beer, either from the bottle, or on tap, and it won't be the last. Perhaps the prototype for the overly hopped American Stout.

The Storm King may rule the kingdom, but it certainly cribbed some notes from this baby -- get what I'm sayin'?

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

I’ve been waiting quite a while to give this beer a shot. I have to say, this is easily one of the best stouts I’ve ever had, and I LOVE stouts.

Pours a perfect deep black color that is brownish red when held to the light. Head is thick, heavy, and lasts near indefinitely. Smell is exceptional in it’s potency and allure, smells like a pure malt field, with elements of chocolate running throughout. Taste is quite good. Immediately complex, malty flavor is dominant with hints of fruit, cocoa, and quite sweet. Rogue brews consistently excellent beers, and here is one of their best. A must try.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

I had this out of a 22 oz brown bottle and served in a pint glass.

Appearance is a jet black color. Dirty brown head that looks fluffy. Awesome lacings.

Smell is roasted malts and coffee.

Tastes of chocolate, molasses, and coffee. Slighty ripe bitterness on the finish. Robust and full flavored.

Great American stout.

3.9/5  rDev -6%

There is something about this beer that makes it shy of being a "great beer."

The appearance was awesome. Huge head all the way down the glass. Deep black color.... opaque.

Aroma...???? Having a tough time with this one. Appears to be very faint, not getting much hops or malt through the nose. Just a faint whiff of chocolate and dark crystals.

Taste? Pretty well balanced. However, finishes leaving you wanting for more. It's almost as if there are not enough flavor hops... a certain entity is tardy... or despondent altogether.

Pretty thin in the mouthfeel... expecting a fuller bodied brew.

All in all, this beer is moderately drinkable.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

I was highly anticipating this beer as i am a big fan of porters and stouts and this seemed to have very top ratings.

This beer pours black as night with a nig big tan brown head, and bubbles creeping up the side of my brandy snifter. The aroma is very much of deep roasted malts, coffee, chocolate and some hops. The taste is huge. Wonderful rich thick roasted malts, a hint of chocolaty sweetness, and a little bitter hop kick to finish and balance it all off. The beer is garganguan and its rich creamy body coats the mouth as it is swallowed, yet very suprisinly it is very drinkble as it leaves me begging for more.

This stout is all that i anticipated and more, fantastic job by Rogue.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

When first becoming a BA I swore off this stout because of the intense burnt taste to it. Recently, when my local beer distributor got in a fresh batch, I decided to give it a go. I don't know if my first bottle was bad, or my tastes have simply matured, but wow. oh wow. Thick and rich this beer tingles all my senses. A mild nose, strongly of roasted and caramel malts. first taste has kind of a subdued sweetness, followed by a massive slam of stout goodness. Roasty, and a little chocolaty, this beer slams my senses. In the mouth it feels huge, part from the thick body, and part from the large flavor. As it leaves my mouth the chocolate flavor shines through.

wonderful, simply wonderful.

3.48/5  rDev -16.1%

The body is blacker than black. Spinal Tap would describe it as a "pastel black". The head is a hearty nut-brown color, not wussy off white. Black liquorices is in the smell, and something smelled a little sour. The mouth feel is smooth, no doubt. The first impressions are a burnt toast / dark roasted malt flavor. Followed by some bitterness. The after taste starts as chocolate and then progresses to a coffee / espresso flavor. I think this stout is a little too "in your face" for my liking, "this one goes to 11". If they kept all the same flavors, but just dialed down their intensity so they blend together better I would probably love it.

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

Beautiful, think, rich brown head. Long lasting. Black as night. Man this beer has my mouth watering. It really looks great.

I'm not really getting anything special in the nose. Some roasty toasty ness.

Tastes like dark roast coffee, chocolate, burnt toast.

I think it might be a touch thin, but not watery. Maybe too much carbonation.

Not what I'd call and easy drinker, but I could see having 2 or 3 in a session.

All in all, another good offering from the guys at Rouge.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

This was one of the blackest beers I have ever poured out, with a huge creamy tan head.

The aroma that I got was mainly of the roasted malts and alcohol... I would have preferred less of a pronounced alcohol aroma. It may have been an older bottle though.

The taste was of strong roasted barley. There were hints of bitter chocolate and some good hoppy bitterness as well.

The mouthfeel was not as big to me as the flavor was. I thought it could have had a little more body.

Would I drink another, Yes, but not right away. Too many other beers to try before I revisit this one... build more of a palette before going back.

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

From a 22 oz bottle.

Appearance: A beautiful black beer with a nice dark brown head. And it was a lot of head at that. This beer had great head retention with excellent lacing.

Smell: Great roasted smell, kind of like coffee.

Taste: Here's where the beer goes downhill. To me this was not that exceptional of a stout. It was a decent stout whith a good roasted flavor, but I did not get any of the citrusy hops that other reviewers described. There was also a sort of ash like flavor. I also did not perceive the chocolate flavor that I keep hearing that this beer has. Above average, but not great.

Mouthfeel: Very good and full bodied, just the way I like my stout.

Drinkability: Similar to the flavor, this was average average, but not great.

Perhaps I got a bad bottle. Maybe something happend on the long trip from Oregon to West Virginia. I don't know, but this beer did not live up to my expectations. I may try it again, but at almost five bucks for a 22 oz bottle, I am quite hesitant. I have had better West Coast Stouts and would rather spend seven bucks on a six pack of Sierra Nevada Stout than Five on one bottle of this. Your mileage may vary.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

I've been holding on for this bottle for awhile. Pours a crude oil black with a phenomenal caramel tan mocha head that is incredible, the cake laced froth will coat the glass throughout the session. The smell is the normal mocha espresso/chocolate roast that is pleasing, this stout however didn't have much else to add, the smells weren't heavy either. The taste was lighter than expected, more roasted or bbq wood/grain, hints of coffee, misses that sweet caramel/chocolate I've come accustomed to, good but not great, medium bodied and cleanses the palate to invite you back for more, a good solid stout, I thought would be great though.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

This already has a lot of reviews from many better reviewers than myself, so I will be short.

Basics:

This beer is dark dark dark with a great copper head that lingers. The aroma is crisp, malty, so refreshing somehow. Mouthfeel is fairly light for a stout, but just fine in my opinion. Great taste. (Boring)

What I really like about this Stout is that it has all the great charactoristics of a traditional stout, with a GREAT hoppy bitterness that stays with you the rest of the night. There are lots of roasted malts, chocolate malts, etc, but this brew is (from my experience thus) incomparably smooth, flavorful, and clean...with just the right amount of sweetness and creaminess to make it great, but not overly cloy-ish or like milk. I will be drinking this the rest of my life and I recommend you do as well.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer arrived pitch black with a brown tall head which lasted to lace...no coat...the glass.

The aroma was chocolate and coffee, fruity, with a nice hop presence.

The flavor was chocolate with coffee with a very well accomplished hop bitterness and American hop presence.

The finish was dry with chocolate and coffee and hop bitterness lasting well into the aftertaste. The body was full.

Pint at Barley's in Knoxville.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Once upon a time Rogue brewed its masterful ales in Ashland, OR, home of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. Ashland is a small town with about six Shakespeare theaters and it seems as though every waitress and bartender is an actor of some stripe. The flood of ’96 washed out Rogue’s Ashland operation and the brewery expanded into its present location in Newport. But the Shakespeare theme has endured and Shakespeare Stout is a Rogue milestone.

Everything good you’ve ever heard about this beer is true. It is black as night, full-bodied and opaque, and has a luxurious chewy mouthfeel. The aroma is dry – faint though fragrant. The lace is flawless, and the taste is creamy and dry with a delicate brush of mocha. The finish lingers like a church bell in the mist.

I drank this at the Rogue Public House in Newport and found it to be a world class stout, mellow enough for sessions. A true champion.

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

i grabbed a big-ass bottle of this stout at gooski's in polish hill(pittsburgh). cool painted bottle with good ole bill shakespeare on it. pours a pitch black with an earth colored, billowing head. smell is chocolate coffee with a little hops in the back. taste was a delicious match of hops and chocolate malts that go down smooth. mouthfeel was heavy and a little syrupy, little carbonation. very drinkable, very good stout

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Serving type: 22oz. Bomber served in a 16oz shaker.

Appearance: I had to force a head with a second pour. It was probably not worth the effort either, because it yielded a short, quickly dissipating, creamy tan head. It did leave a nice coat of lacing on my glass though.

Smell: My sniffer is happy! Roasted malts, chocolate, and floral hops aroma.

Taste: Wow! extremely smooth. Different from what I had expected. Bittersweet chocolate, roasted malt, and coffee, with some earthy undertones. Harsh hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, dry bitter finish.

Drinkability/Overall: Surprisingly smooth and well balanced. This is the epitome of American Stouts!

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber. Pours out a opaque pitch black color with a towering dark brown rocky head. The head dwindles down a bit while you drink this but it never disappears. An excellent smattering of lacing is also left about the glass. The aroma filled my nose full of wonderful scents of dark chocolate and roasted coffee. A good smell but not overpowering with hints of citric hops added into the mix as well. Dark chocolate and coffee flavors dominate most of the taste here. Mingling about is also citric hops, roasted malt flavors and a slight smokiness. Very tasty beer indeed with a lot going on in it. The wonderful taste is enhanced by the rich and creamy mouthfeel and the full body of this beauty. Excellent drinkability here with not much slowing you down from putting a few of these away. One of my favorite stouts for sure, give it a try if you haven’t already.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

This is only the second Rogue beer, after Old Crustacean, that Ive tried. I can't believe they had it at the Liquor Control Board of Ontario - LCBO (which carries no American Craft beers other than Anchor).
The Bottle design is very cool with lots of Shamrocks and a drunken Irishman and lots of information about the beer.
The beer pours an opaque black with a very thick consitency. The head is very dark tan, like two shades darker than Guinness. The aroma is mostly of citrusy cascade hops, with a bit of roasted grains and dark chocolate. The taste of this beer is spectacular. It kind of reminds me of a cross between a dry stout and Anchor Liberty ale, very hoppy, yet still retaining stout characteristics. Perfectly balanced. The mouthfeel is thick and oily but not excessively so. This is truly a remarkable beer, I want to try all the Rogue brews. Stupid discriminatory LCBO.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It pours a dark black with a brown creamy looking head that lasts and imparts some whispy lacing. Smell is malt with light coffee aroma and hops, smell is little on light side when compared to the flavor. Tastes is smooth lightly sweet leading into a moca choclate coffee flavor that that turns lightly bitter then the cascade takes control and impart a dose of hop flavor and a good does of bitterness. This stout is wonderful full bodied complex and a well rounded brew. Highly recomended it is one of the best stouts I have had to date.

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: Black as night. A nice, one finger, brown head forms and hangs around for a few minutes. After a while, it dissipates down to a very thin covering, and it stays there. Nice lacing down the glass as it goes.

Smell: The hoppiest stout I've ever encountered. The hops scent is strong and tangy. In equal measure with the hops is a wonderful roasted scent. Strong coffee present. Potpourri should smell this good.

Taste: A brief note of cream-like sweetness as it hits the tip of the tongue. Next a rich roasted espresso flavor with strong, bitter hops. The flavor gets more strongly roasted and burnt as it goes down. Lovely, long coffee-like finish. Do I detect a trace of smoke? I do. Oh boy, this tastes good.

Mouthfeel: Plenty thick and highly carbonated. Feels like I think this style of stout should. Not as creamy and smooth as an Irish stout, instead a brash, aggressive force in your mouth.

Drinkability: Honestly, I could drink this all the time. The beautiful, big-ass bitter roasted goodness paired with the big-ass mouthfeel means that some people will have trouble drinking this one. I weep for them.

Final Notes: This might well be my favorite beer. It's unquestionably my favorite dry stout. This beer is unafraid to be big and ruthless. It's good. It’s so good.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Bought a case to share over the weekend, it was a good choice since we had no fridge... This is a nice stout in general, colour is blackish brown with a big brown head that is nice and fluffy and takes a while to go down enough to drink. Then again I think I poured it way too fast so it got all excited and super foamy at first. That's ok. It didnt smell like much to me, but it was roasty and kind of hoppy, some coffee aroma in there. Taste was very good, very roasty and toasty, coffee, teeny bit of molasses or something sweet, but just a hint, and hops. Definitely more hoppy than sweet, but not at all bitter. Mouthfeel was towards the thin side to me but just about perfect, and drinkability is good because of this. I was happy with this stout and would get it again.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

This beer pours a dark brown with hints of red where the light manages to peek through. The head is about half a finger thick and looks like ovaltine.

I really don't get much off the nose on this one. At first when it was colder it was soy sauce and molasses, but warmer I get even less. Some coffee, some chicory, a little burnt toast in there too. Not much smell.

Taste is nice. Rich deep coffee and toast flavors predominate with some very subtle chocolate and molasses notes in the back. Solid nice stout that isn't cloying. As a matter of fact, there is really nothing sweet in this beer at all.

Mouthfeel is the right thickness. Not too thick and not too thin. A good mouthfeel. There is a slight prickly sensation from the carbonation, but that adds a nice dimension.

I suppose if I were in a stout drinking mood, this one would go nicely one after another.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

a great brew... one I might be underdevoloped for.

The appearance is very dark and the smell is good and roasted... just like the taste. The most uniquely emphasized attribute of this beer is its significant roasted flavour. Its full in the sense that there is a lot going on: dark coffee and bits of ester, not as frothy-mouth-feeling as I would have liked and the roasted flavour blew me away as I finished the 750 ml bottle.

they should call it the double-roasted stout!! very good

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Opaque, very dark brown color, with a tan head that quickly diminished and it left no lacing. Aroma of roasted malts, and light oats. Had a very creamy, roasted/coffee flavor. I heard from a friend that this was an oatmeal stout, I wasn't able to tell?

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pitch-dark black, very murky, thin tan head, still as night. The nose is a bit tough to detect; maybe some piney notes, barley, roasted malts. Dry, very dry up front. Dark roasted malts, coffee beans, espresso, all of them noted in the first few sips. A tender sweetness comes into play, barley and chocolate also noted. Just when you think you can't be taken, the Cascade hops come in to play, here to stay. Mix in the flavors mentioned early on with some hop-bite and you've got quite a stout. Summed up as big and bold, hearty, flavorful and enjoyable, the ratings are well-deserved; a great tasting 'hopped' up stout; my hat is tipped to the brewmasters who dreamed up this great wonder!

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales