Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev +12%

THe beer pours out of the bomber a dark black with a brown head. I know I am in for a serious beer from the initial pouring.
At the first sip I was anything but disappointed, full roasted flavor with a nice hop twinge at the end. The hops are not overpowering or subtle but have that nice balance for this truly excellent beer. It goes down smoothly with some coffee flavors at the end of the tasting. I could easily see this as becoming one of my favorite beers while I am out here in Missouri. I wish I had found the store that had it earlier, it is a fitting yet different replacement for storm king.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Had this one gravity poured from the cask at NERAX last nite.
Served in great condition,light carbonation, perfectly chilled and a black beauty. Little to no head and opaque. Aromas of roasted malts,bitter chocolate and a hint of licorice.
Flavors are more complex than the bottled version with a big drying bitterness standing out. Roasty and chocolaty with buiscuits and oreo tops. Underlying hops and fruit with a lingering, drying finish.
A great beer that lends itself very well to cask. It would be better through a beer engine.

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Another Rogue beer picked up from Riverside Beverages in Chattanooga. I’ve been looking forward to this one for awhile as a good stout is hard to come by in my town.

I went a little nuts on the pour and ended up flowing over a bit, but all is well. The appearance is deeply black and opaque. Even holding it up to a light source doesn’t reveal the usually ruby tinges around the edges. A hardy tan head rolls up a good three fingers high and over the rim of the glass. The head remains resilient and chunky gobs of lacing sheet the glass.

Malts are very prominent on the nose, sweet, yet roasty, burnt, and arrogant. Milk chocolate and light coffee are alluded too as well. Smell is superb.

Taste is dominated by smooth, dusty and charred, sweet malts. Caramelly smooth, with an earthen bitterness around the edges. Chocolate, and creamed coffee are apparent, this brew goes down as smooth as silk. Lightly bitter aftertaste is left and the foam leaves my lip bitter. Excellent. Mouthfeel is medium heavy and creamy, carbonation doesn’t get in the way here.

I will be back to visit you again Shakespeare. I’ve been waiting for a stout like this!

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

MMmmm, this is a nice stout from Rogue! Pours a deep dark brown with a nice dark head that sticks around. Smells of bitter chocolate and lightly of coffee scent. Taste is great...bitter and sweet and smooth. Everything is balanced quite nicely.

I'm gonna have this one again and you should, too.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

How about that. LCBO being on the forefront and 4 reviews, all from Ontario. This is an above avergae stout, not too chocolately or burnt coffee. Very drinkable and not far below the infamous Shakespeare Rogue in rogue abilities. Malty and yet balanced.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Sampled from a 22 oz bomber

I love how rogue labels their bottles with all of the ingredients and degrees plato/IBU's and what not, just had to get that out of the way.

Poured a midnight black with a small tan head that diminished very quickly. Smell was full of roasted malts with hints of coffee, extremely pleasant. Taste is of roasted malts balanced extremely well by hops. I couldn't pick out any specific hops but the bitterness is definately there. This is one creamy stout. It goes down nice and thick. I feel like i could have a couple bombers of this a night and be content. A wonderful stout from Rogue, I can't wait to get my hands on their imperial!

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

This stuff is very dark but not overly viscous. I like it. The head was big and fluffy, and it lasted very well. There isn't much lacing but it's still a good-looking beer.

The taste is very nice. I think the flavor defines what a stout should taste like. It's got hints of chocolate and coffee without having too much of anything. There's an appetizing taste of bitterness in the finish.

This is also one of the more drinkable proper stouts I've had. It goes down well without being short on flavor.

I'll have a tough time buying any other stout for at least a few weeks.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

Light-swallowing, black pour with a thick, long-lasting bronze head. Smell is less intense than expected, but typical roasted malts certainly are there. A bit of licorice and a nice bite of hops as well. Velvety, wonderful mouthfeel smoothes out the sharp flavors--toasty malts, bittersweet chocolate and noticeable astringency. At first I thought this was "merely" very good, but that sells this stout short. Very well done, indeed.

3.53/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark, dark pour with a big handsome brown head. Looks quite delicious. Head settles to a film, gives up a small measure of lace.

Aroma is roast malt, chocolate. Not over powering but distinct.

Strong bitter malt, semi sweet chocolate flavours. Dry, chalky mouthfeel, long lingering bitterness.

Decent beer, quite tasty, but somewhat one dimensional. Worth a try.

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a truly impenetrable black brew.

Smell is mildly fruity, not that great.

Taste is sweet with chocolate and coffee flavors. Cola and sweetness show up too.

Mouthfeel is very good, has a Coke a Cola like carbonation bite.

It is drinkable but NOT as good as Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

Huge brown head atop this pitch black beer that you could lose yourself in. Deep smells of mocha and coffee with hints of roasted malts and caramel. That taste is nothing short of spectacular. This has a big roasted taste taht finishes dry with a hop dryness that is not only present but delicious. This beer has a thick body and it's outstanding. Very complex and hits all areas of the palate. The aftertaste is of burnt caramel, coffee, and roasted malts. Everything in this beer goes together great and there aren't too many other stouts that work this well.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

I finally found this (minnesota), and I'm pretty psyched to try it out...22 oz bottle.

-One of the best looking beers I have ever seen: absolutely black in color, opaque in clarity, with a very large brown/tan head that fades slowly and unevenly to about 1/3 of an inch and then stays there, leaving loads of lacing all the way down.

-Smell is strong cascade hops, dirt and chocolate...what a combo.

-Taste: wow...this is about the 5th or 6th stout I've tasted now, but it is miles apart from any of the others in taste. I expect the chocolate and roasty malt flavors, but this is the hoppiest, earthiest stout I have had. It's like a stout version of SN Celebration, though flavor-wise not quite as complex. I didn't know this flavor combination was possible in a stout, and I am very glad it is.

-Mouthfeel is medium-thin for a stout - quite sharp and dry (as opposed the buttery soft texture of some stouts) which emphasizes the hop bitterness. This works well.

One of the most outstanding beers I have ever had. I wish I could find this in 6 packs.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Nice black color, decent light-brown head.

Smells of caramel, a light citrus and a slight roasted scent.

Wow, nice full body, creamy mouthfeel, crisp though. Beautiful mix of roasted coffee with a medium sweetness and a little bitterness. Leaves a nice light chocolate and coffee aftertaste.

A truly awesome brew, my new favorite stout. Everyone should try this one.

Black, with a dark brown three finger rocky head. Leaves webs of lace behind.
Strong aroma, oats, copper and chocolate.
Bitter and astringent, strong dark roasted malt with oats. Dark chocolate, coffee, oats. Earthy with spruce.
Full feel, creamy and smooth, chocolate type bitterness.
A nice blend, a type of chocolate oatmeal stout. Some of the Imperial stout flavors without the huge ABV.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Well then, had a chance to have this on tap. A few subtle differences, but not much. Nice dark, dark brown with a very brown head. Malty, chocolaty, espresso smell, and loaded with about the same flavor. It seemed to me the hoppiness wasn't as predominate in the tap version. But this doesn't make it bad, just a little less exciting. Full bodied with only a little bite from the carbonation. As stated before, I will continue to drink these, over and over again.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

22 oz. bomber served at cellarish temps in a pint glass.

Appearance: Black as ebon, surmounted by a light brown head of thick, rocky, and dense bubbles. A thick film of bubbles stuck around as I joyously drank the bottle.

Smell: Prunes, vanilla, fertile humus, faint whiffs of hops and oats. Dense and complex, far better than some imperial stouts that I've had.

Taste: Intense roasted malt flavors, like a nice cup of bitter dark espresso. Pruny dark chocolate malts underlying all this. Piney cascades on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Talk about yer "vim and vigor." The real reason those words had to be crossed off DFH's WWS was the BATF having one of these puppies. Big and hearty mouthfeel.

Drinkability: One burly-ass stout. A roid-ragin', VW-van bench-pressin' drink. I likey.

Other: I remember the first time I had Shakespeare Stout was in 1996 or thereabouts. I was in NYC on a choir tour and went with a lady friend who loved beer to a nice restaurant where we shared a bottle of this with our meal. We both took a whiff and were amazed. My first words were, "Smells like dirt, and I mean the fertile black stuff we get out in Iowa." This was meant as a complement, and is something I'll stand by.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Ah, the Shakespeare Stout. This, my friends, is not only a damn fine stout, it's a damn good beer.

Appearance: Poured out a very black color with a dark tan head with some nice lacing.

Smell: Roasted malts and hops come to mind. Umm..some caramel in there too I smell.

Taste: This is a true stout. Malts and hops are balanced perfectly IMO. Good hints of some coffee and bitter chocolate lay underneath.

Mouthfeel: So creamy and smooth it's amazing. It's not too thin and not too thick, it's right in the middle. Great texture. I wouldn't mind drinking another one of these bombers. Such a great stout. I believe it's one of the most balanced beers out there.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Extraordinary pour from the 22 oz bottle produces an opaque, jet black body and a fluffy tan head that eventually falls into patchy and ring lacing. Dark chocolate and roasted coffee in the typical stout aroma, but with definite hop notes that are floral and mildly ctrus. Rich, smooth, and creamy in the mouth with a slight essence of hops twang. Mocha and roasted coffee are upfront in the taste, but there are lots of pleasant surprises lurking here. Some smokiness is evident, as well as oatmeal, butternut, and some faint notes of grapefruit. Finishes with a bittersweet chocolate aftertaste. By far, the most complex and drinkable stout I've tried. No perception of alcohol, whatever, and I'm thinking that Rogue could increase the abv of this one with interesting effect.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a deep black with a decent brown head that didn't last long.

A little swirl brings a smokey somewhat charred flavor to the nose.

A hearty swig followed by some contemplation allows one to pick out burnt malt that smooths out and ends in a slight tang of hops. A slightly fruity touch rests briefly on the toungue before giving away to the slightly tangy hoppy finish. So many flavors pass through the mouth on a single sip it is hard to pick them all out. Very nice.

Somewhat thick but also a little oily in the mouth.

So many intriging flavors really make this a nice beer to drink. The fact that I can't leave a bomber only partly emptied means I will sleep well tonight.

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

The beer pours a deep, solid black, completely opaque, topped with a thin film of beige head. The head dies out completely after about halfway through the pint.
The aroma is a strong, rich burnt coffee roastiness, with a rather assertive hopping. Slightly herbal, but mostly citric pacific northwest pungency. A bit of yeast hazelnut, with faint plum esters. Some light chocolate malt as it warms. Unusual and highly hopped for a stout, but it's certainly enjoyable.
The flavor starts with an intense burnt, bittersweet malt. Similar to charred toast, with a cup of week old black coffee. Pleasant, despite the description. Faint plum esters peek through timidly, maostly drowned out by the malt and an ominous storm cloud of oncoming hops. The clouds open up and release a rain of oily citric hop bitterness, intensified by the burnt malt. A very pleasant bitter finish, with bittersweet mocha and a beautifully citric hop bite. Ever so slight yeast in the finish, picking up a slight nutty breadiness in the aftertaste. Black coffee astringency lingers in the aftertaste for eons. Medium bodied, with moderate, unassuming carbonation that carries the flavor well.
Way overhopped for what I expect from a stout, but it's quite tasty. A challenging brew, bordering on imperial stout in it's intensity. Not something I'd want on a daily basis, but I think I'll keep a bottle in the fridge for those extra crappy days at work, when you're really jonesing for a powerfully flavored beer to relax with.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours black as tar with a moderate, creamy brown head that dissipates into a thin film -- no light shines through this brew. The aroma was malty and roasted, but not as "big" as I anticipated from the appearance. The mouthfeel was full and searching -- seeming to coat the entire palate. The taste was thick -- sweet malt and nuts with some hickory and chocolate insinuations, with a growing bitterness in the aftertaste. Highly drinkable even if it would get pretty heavy after a couple.

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It pours an inky ebony, an alomst absolute blackness, and seems to gobble up light, said light not to be seen again. A light cocoa brown head, thick and creamy, fluffs up and then settles slowly to a lush foam blanket. Delicate lacing seems plastered immovably to the sides of the glass.

The aroma braings a dark roasted malt bitterness combined with burnt sugar. A subdued espresso note vies with dusky earth tones for the middle ground. An underlaid vinous character fades to a dark chocolatey bitterness at the close.

With the first taste, burnt, roasted malt bitterness juts its chin daringly before surprising, almost vinegary astringence sucks the cheeks inward, though a sensation more than a taste. Malt sweetness lurks but never truly steps way forward, and that's just fine. At the outside, a slight, berry-ish sweetness quickly shifts to a dark coffee, earthy bitterness, before finally finishing with a slowly fading chocolate/hops duet.

It's thickly, slickly, densely heavy bodied, plopping as much as pouring. It lubricates the entire mouth, and leaves a glaze of bittersweet, down-to-earth flavor and glow.

As happy as I was when I unexpectedly found this on a local guy's shelf, I was even happier when I finally tasted it. The flavor has multiple tiers, all distinct, but still wonderful parts of an impressive whole. It's full in aroma, flavor, and feel, and has a biting edge that earns immediate respect. If you love stout, and I do, the substantial presence here will draw you in and demand attention and indulgence, and you'll give these things willingly. I may be no literary competition for The Bard, but this big beer makes me want to wax rhapsodic, and when a beer can do that, it's truly something special.

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

I finally found this at the local Wild Oats, stashed inconspicuously behind a couple of Dead Guys. This rather thick, deep black beer produced a large yet transient head similar in color to milk chocolate. Intimidating and enticing.

A rindy bitterness accosts my nose on the first whiff. A closer smell reveals notes of molasses and crisp pear, a warm bready sweetness underlies the aroma throughout.

Hoppy! Such a nice hoppy stout. Certainly a PNW stout with less of a grainy sweetnes than I would expect. What sweetness there is comes first. It is slightly syrupy and refined. It doesn't remind me of anything in particular; kind of a generic malty sweetness. Then a barrage of bitter notes, first slightly creamy, then rindy like kumquats, then green and fresh like arugula. An espresso-like tang persists.

This feels smooth in my mouth, and Rogue (as usual) errs on the side of safety with the carbonation. Refreshing for a stout.

The drinkability is surprisingly high here. Perhaps this is a good session stout for those that eschew Guinness. Altogether though, when I want stout I'll pick up a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal or Rogue Chocolate Stout instead.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured black with a huge 4 finger tan head due to an apparently aggressive pour. The foamy head looked very sticky with beautiful peaks and valleys. The aroma was malt with hops and chocolate at the end. The taste was malt initially, fading midway into a nice hop bitterness. This is very unique in the stouts I've tried and adds a wonderful complexity to the brew. As the hops faded, I was left with an impression of burnt roasted coffee. The hops make another appearance in the aftertaste, with a slight hint of bittersweet chocolate. The mouthfeel is thick and chewy with a medium to low level of carbonation. This beer feels the way a stout should in your mouth. Extremely drinkable...I absolutely love this beer.

I love this stout. It is truly a wonderfully complex beer considering it is not a "big" beer in terms of alcohol. I could drink a lot of this. My wife loves this stuff, which says a lot about its appeal. One of the best!

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

$4.49, 22 oz.

Rogue's Shakespeare Stout pours a hot-asphalt black with a leathery, milk-chocolate head. I peer through the proclaimed "ebony" only to see the blackest night. No hints of ruby at all. Impressed already. Dirty white lacing is all I will soon have left.

There are dark chocolate and espresso tones on the nose, with a touch of rauchbier invoked. Everything about this beer is deep, dark and not at all shallow.

I might disagree with Rogue's proclamation that this beer has large chocolate tones upon taste - there is nearly no sweetness here.

The taste is offputting to some, down right shocking to most. I know now how I like my stouts. It makes smaller, more modest stouts like Anchor seem obsolete. I also didn't feel much of the large hop presence that I had anticipated.

This beer's mouthfeel is rich and so roasty that it stings the palate. I would've appreciated more of a rich oat character here, but I am happy with the consistency especially at 6% ABV.

I concur with another BA - this is Sierra Nevada Porter's big brother.
I did cringe at a little bit of an ashtray taste at the end - but that is consistent with the rauchbier hints I was getting on the nose.

Everything is huge and endless - pour out the last bit of the bottle and you are shocked at the stain in your sink. Often overlooked, this one is one to look for if you want a relatively low ABV beer that seems so much higher.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales