Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,186 | Reviews: 1,583

Served in pint glass.

Pours an oily black, with a rich, sticky beige head. Head retains very well and covers the glass all the way down. Beautiful.

Aroma is complex, featuring hints of cacao, milk chocolate, dark roasted coffee and toffee.

Outrageously smooth, a rich, roasted malt sweetness is balanced perfectly with a mild bitterness. Notes of cacao and dark roasted coffee are the most prominent. Smokey and toffee/butterscotch notes are also present. Semi-dry, smokey, coffee-esque finish. Delicious.

Again, outrageously smooth on the palate. A hearty body and creamy mouthfeel make this one a treat.

Delicious and moderate alcohol content. That, along with my devotion to delicious black coffee, I find it to be extremely drinkable.

4.73/5  rDev +14.3%

Appearance - Dark Brown, light head
Smell - Chocolaty
Taste - Nice Chocolaty after taste
Mouth Feel - Nice full taste, not too heavy
Drinkability - I'll definitely be buying this again
This is a great beer, The way it should be. Buy It. Drink It. Enjoy It. Best I've had yet.

4.73/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a nice dark brown almost black color with a thick, frothy coffe-colored head. Roasted malty aroma with chocolate, oatmel, toffee notes. Dark chocolate roasted maltiness with hints of burnt toast, caramel, nut and toffee. Very quaffable and sweet with slight dry finish.

04/24/06

It's been over three years since my last review of this beer (which was my first experience with it) and I have to admit that it is one of the few beers that I feel exactly the same about that I did then. Actually, I am probably more impressed with it now that I was then. The quintessential stout, in my opinion. Perfectly roasted, hopped, mouth-filling, and delicious. If you can buy some, you had better do it! If you can't get it, trade away your life for some. Well . . . that might be a bit extreme, but you get the point.

22 oz. bottle

Appearance: I thought that I had seen black beers before, but this one takes the prize. Even when help up to a window, not a photon of light passed through, not even around the edges. The head itself was darker than the color of many beers that I drink. It held on for a long time and left a lot of lace. This was a beatiful beer.

Smell: This beer had a classic stout aroma, dominated by roasted malts and coffee.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and full. Not perfect, but very good.

Taste: This beer was huge. It was exactly what a stout should be. Roasted, slightly smokey, with bitter chocolate and coffee flavors. A classic stout, easily a benchmark for me to compare others to.

This was my first tasting of this beer and I was very impressed. I can't wait to pick up some more.

4.73/5  rDev +14.3%

This is one of my most favorite beers. Ebony in color with fairly small head. Wonderfully bitter after taste. Not a high gravity beer, but I must rate the "feeling" of this beer as exceptional. Just as drinkable as a Guiness yet much more complex and distinct. I am a huge Rogue fan, so I may be biased, but if you like Stouts, this is probably the best domestic you will find.

***300th Beer review***

Label Lore: Double labeled 12 oz’er. With a “World Stout Champion” stamp.

Huge gargantuan head pour that left two inches of brew foam from four inches of foam in me pint. As more brew pours, a volcano like brown shape is left in the head. Well, five minutes later this thing is poured. Poerfection in appearance, all the way, without a doubt. Pours as black brown as used motor oil from a ’71 Buick.

Scents of malts hit me from here. Citrous hints, most likely due to this behemoth pour.

First Swigs: Deep chocolate cake, dark chocolate and baker’s chocolate. A citrous lemon lime peel hop (cascade?) Background fronts the finish that quickly lingers off to sweet astringent citrous and pancake batter.

About as full bodied as full bodied gets. Foamy frothy filliong.

Last Swigs: Lime citrous, & dark chocolate. Hmmm…better than that sounds. Thanks to BA Buckeyenation for the bottle. Wish there were more to compare. Reminds me much-ly of Victory Storm King. #2 in style currently with 398 reviews. More than any other. This is debateably the best damn beer availible period due to at least some availibility factors. Damn good!

Beer is good. Happy beering.

4.73/5  rDev +14.3%

I was highly anticipating this beer as i am a big fan of porters and stouts and this seemed to have very top ratings.

This beer pours black as night with a nig big tan brown head, and bubbles creeping up the side of my brandy snifter. The aroma is very much of deep roasted malts, coffee, chocolate and some hops. The taste is huge. Wonderful rich thick roasted malts, a hint of chocolaty sweetness, and a little bitter hop kick to finish and balance it all off. The beer is garganguan and its rich creamy body coats the mouth as it is swallowed, yet very suprisinly it is very drinkble as it leaves me begging for more.

This stout is all that i anticipated and more, fantastic job by Rogue.

4.72/5  rDev +14%

This is only the second Rogue beer, after Old Crustacean, that Ive tried. I can't believe they had it at the Liquor Control Board of Ontario - LCBO (which carries no American Craft beers other than Anchor).
The Bottle design is very cool with lots of Shamrocks and a drunken Irishman and lots of information about the beer.
The beer pours an opaque black with a very thick consitency. The head is very dark tan, like two shades darker than Guinness. The aroma is mostly of citrusy cascade hops, with a bit of roasted grains and dark chocolate. The taste of this beer is spectacular. It kind of reminds me of a cross between a dry stout and Anchor Liberty ale, very hoppy, yet still retaining stout characteristics. Perfectly balanced. The mouthfeel is thick and oily but not excessively so. This is truly a remarkable beer, I want to try all the Rogue brews. Stupid discriminatory LCBO.

4.72/5  rDev +14%

Poured a bomber into a pint glass. This beer is pitch black, and pours with a large milk chocolate colored head. Decent lacing on the glass. The smell is fantastic. It's nice and strong as well with dark chocolate and coffee. It has a smokey aroma too with a small amount of floral hops. The taste has more coffeeness to it than the smell, but it is not overbearing. The bitterness comes through a second after each sip, but its only strong enough to notice it. Quite a drinkable beer at it's low alcohol content, and I'm a bit sad that I didn't pick up another bomber. One of my favorite beers, and probably the best stout I've had.

4.72/5  rDev +14%

22 oz. bomber with the ingredients listed on the side; 69 IBUs. It sits in my chalice deep black with a half-inch of orangey/brown head that halves in depth, yet retains, and leaves light lacing. The bouquet is exquisite, lightly sweet, with roasted, chocolate, and espresso malts, pine, cake/cookies, brownies, black/blueberry, green apple, strawberry?, pear?, vanilla?, and some green hops to bring it all together. It tastes of roasted/bitter/charred malts, chocolate, tobacco, leather, earth, charcoal/ashtray, green/piney hops, and a touch of oats. The body is medium, drying, with medium carbonation and a long, lingering finish. Just a touch too thin for me, but overall a wondrous stout that is highly recommended and well worth revisiting.

4.72/5  rDev +14%

Opaque, very dark brown color, with a tan head that quickly diminished and it left no lacing. Aroma of roasted malts, and light oats. Had a very creamy, roasted/coffee flavor. I heard from a friend that this was an oatmeal stout, I wasn't able to tell?

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured black with a med cream head that disappeared quickly to a nice lacing that lasted the whole drink.
Aroma is rich, sweet, chocolate, coffee, and mostly toasted-burnt malts.
Mouthfeel is soft carbonation and creamy smoothness.
Taste is almost magical....very, very balanced. Carmel, chocolate, coffee, sweet malt,light hop bitterness. Very balanced....nothing overpowering.
Aftertaste is a wonderful bitter chocolate an carmel....little tiny espresso.
This is a heavenly way to end the evening.

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

Full bodied stout that starts out with intense roasted malt and barley and finishes with subtle hop bitterness. One of the better stouts I've quaffed.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured black with a huge 4 finger tan head due to an apparently aggressive pour. The foamy head looked very sticky with beautiful peaks and valleys. The aroma was malt with hops and chocolate at the end. The taste was malt initially, fading midway into a nice hop bitterness. This is very unique in the stouts I've tried and adds a wonderful complexity to the brew. As the hops faded, I was left with an impression of burnt roasted coffee. The hops make another appearance in the aftertaste, with a slight hint of bittersweet chocolate. The mouthfeel is thick and chewy with a medium to low level of carbonation. This beer feels the way a stout should in your mouth. Extremely drinkable...I absolutely love this beer.

I love this stout. It is truly a wonderfully complex beer considering it is not a "big" beer in terms of alcohol. I could drink a lot of this. My wife loves this stuff, which says a lot about its appeal. One of the best!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served from a bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours black with a small brown head. Little lacing.

Smell: Roasted malt with caramel and chocolate. Maybe a hint of hops in here some where.

Taste: Predominately roasted malt at first and a coffee taste with hints of chocolate on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Is creamy, to me this is how a stout should feel.

Drinkability: As a stout fan, I could have a few of these with no problems.

I have grown to love the offerings from Rogue, every one of their offerings I have had have been excellent examples of the styles and have been great tasting. This one is among my favorites.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at Flying Saucer.

Came to the table with little head, as with most beers from FS. Held up to 7 pm late afternoon sunlight through the window this beer didn't allow any light through. It left a light amount of whispy thin lace down the glass.
The nose was wonderfully dark chocolate and roasted malt.
I had high expectations for this beer, and it lived up to all that I've read. Bitter dark chocolate flavors cut through first. Roasted malt and a light hop bitterness finish.
I will definitely have many more pints of this. It was very easy to drink. By far the best stout I've had so far.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thick and black, slick oily residue. It's looking good so far.

Toffee, caramel, roasted pistachio's and malt.

A smooth stout that brings on huge malts, dark chocolate, and espresso notes. Great balance between the hop and malt.

Smooth and creamy, easy drinking. This is a great stout and I can definitely see me doing it again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow! This is amazing. Black body with tan head. Rich dark chocolate and coffee aroma with taste to follow. Complex and rich in perfect balance. There's all sorts of stuff going on here. Molasses, toffee, pumpernickel, the works. This is the best stout I've had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark brown color with a creamy head that made for great lacing. The aroma was very malty and chocolatey with some coffee notes. The taste was similar to the smell. First taste was malt and chocolate then almost a bitter coffee. The mouthfeel was not heavy but smooth and creamy and it had the perfect carbonation.

Overall it probably is my favorite stout! I'm looking forward to another one!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's very nice to see Rogue finally getting decent distribution in my local area. I was very pleasantly surprised to see 3 Rogue offerings on tap @ a very good mostly vegetarian restaurant(Sunspot) that I try to frequent in Knoxville. I can sum this beer up in 3 words: My new favorite, it is outstanding in every regard. It pours a dark opaque black with a dark tan head, and very resilient lacing. The nose is excellent with molasses, coffee and caramel the dominant aromas. The taste surpassed the smell which I tought would be tough to do. The mouthfeel was robust and viscous, which allowed the unbelievable taste to linger. Excellent drinkability for such a hearty beer. All things considered, this stuff rocks.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a thick, black beer with a dense, creamy, tan head. Great roasted grain and hop aroma. Drinking sensation is full and heavy, and the taste is intriguingly bitter. Coffee, caramel, and roasted/burnt grains. The bitter finish is simply outstanding. I keep thinking that this is what other stouts aspire to be when they grow up.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ahh shakesphere Stout, how I've missed thee.

For the first time in over three years, this nectar of the gods is available in my home town. They say that time changes things, that what you look back on fondly, won't always have that same magic after an extended period away. I can say with zero trepidation, that's not the case here. Yes this is every bit as great, as I remember it being.

Let's start with the look of the beer. Lovely to say the very least. Nearly jet black with a beautiful creamy head. This is the type of beer, that would scare lesser beer drinkers by the look alone and that's a definite shame... oh well more for me!

The smell: divine. A perfect cross between chocolate malts and citrusy cascade hops. A Stout-IPA hybrid of sorts from a scent perspective, It's almost like smelling two different beers, and I mean that in a good way.

The taste: again simply awesome.

Acidic... citrusy.... chocolate in the finish. This is truly one complex stout and makes the likes of Guinness pale in comparison (and this is coming from someone who still enjoys a Guinness from time to time)

This is a classic in every sense of the word and worthy of any and all accolades it recieves. If this isn't the world's best stout, it's no doubt in the top five.

Heavenly and boy am I ever glad to again have access to it!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had the Dead Guy. I've had the Mocha Porter. I've had Hazlenut to YSB to Yellow Snow to Irish Ale to St. Rogue Red to Choco Stout. I've even had the fabled I Squared PA (wonderful by the way). But I've never had Shakespeare Stout. The BEST Rogue apparently. The BEST BEER IN THE WORLD as I've seen crowned in some questionable literature. The hype is almost overpowering. So, on to MY review.
22 ounce bomber. Pop top pours a black brown beer, no carbonation, with deep tan head. Reminds me of the King (Storm, that is). Smell is sweet and bitter, like an imperial. But this is just a meager stout. Well maybe not. Taste is very smooth, with just the right touch of bitter hop and roasty malt to make you say hmmm. If I had had this before SK, I'd say SK is a heavy Shakespeare. Since I've already had the King, I'd say this is a lighter guy, but fit to serve as his second in command. Good choco feel at the end. Interesting to note the oatmeal prescence in the malt (props to Rogue for listing all their ingredients--gentlemen among brewers). The oatmeal seems to have just turned to alcohol, and left little of its trace in the residual taste. I really love this beer, I guess my cynicism comes from the fact that Rogue is in Oregon, I am in PA, Victory is 1 hour from me, and Storm King is similar, and just a bit better. Rogue's Imperial should embolize this. I'm sold. I love it. But, at $6 a bomber, with $1.75 SK's in the cooler, I can't really bring myself to say I prefer this. Great beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I guess it is sad that with my love of stouts and porters I have never tried the Rogue Shakespeare Stout before, I guess I should be a little ashamed of that because I usually see it at Olivers whenever I stop in. Well it was on tap last evening so I thought I would give it a try. Well I was not disappointed at all; actually I think it opened my eyes to what a superb beer this is. I was floating; my wife could tell by the way the beer went down, extremely tasty. The brew was poured to a black color; not sure any light would make it through but did not really look that deeply. Had a very nice dark brown head that had great retention and left nice lace rings down the side of the glass. The aroma is very inviting with a nice mixture of scents. I am picking up chocolate, coffee, roasted to burnt malt, brown sugar sweetness, and a pronounced (by pronounced, I mean stronger than the normal Stout but in no ways does it dominate) hop smell for a stout. The taste is simply incredible, extremely smooth through out, chocolate flavors up front that break to a coffee like taste that mixes nicely with the hops in the back end top give it the perfect amount of bitterness. This was the highlight of the evening, simple a great beer and one that I will have on a steady rotation at the house here, man I can not believe what I have been missing!

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

Divine intervention in a bottle. Absolutely incredible beer.

Black with a frothy brown head.

The smell was of warm roasted aromas, ranging from coffee to dark chocolate. But you can tell immediately that the flavors were roasted to perfection.

The aromas carry over to the taste, with more roasted chocolates and coffee. Some hot cocoa and sweet caramel stop by to say hello, and just when you think you've nailed it all down, BAM, some citrus flavors splash in. It's not over the top, either.

On a scale of smooth to not smooth, this would be a 10... or a zero. I'm not really sure, but it's damn smooth.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales