Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,574 | Hads: 3,267
3.64/5  rDev -12.5%

This stout is a deep brown/black with a good-sized, frothy red/brown head with good longevity that leaves great lacing. The aroma is a little sweet and is of roasted chocolate malt and citrusy hops. It is medium-bodied with soft carbonation and seems perhaps more watery than I'd expect. It leaves the mouth feeling a bit astringent. The flavor is of charred wood, chocolate and grapefruit. Pretty darn good. This almost seems like a foreign stout to me.
(rated Mar 29, 2007)

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours out a big light brown head that's thick and pillowy leaving a good lacing. The color is nice and black, like a stout should look.

The smell is aromatic with a light coffee smell. It's also spicy with a slight molasses smell. Dark fruit is also present, something like blackberry or currants.

The taste has roasted malts along with a bitter coffee taste without a lot of sweet hops to counteract the bitterness.

It is medium bodied. Has little aftertaste, but the aftertaste is coffee and roasted malts. It's dry and has a little carbonation.

Overall it's not very complex and a little one-sided and easy to drink beer. I will try another before I kick this one to the curb.

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

22 oz. bottle. Pint glass.

Thick and black coming out of the bottle. No light escapes. One of the darkest brown heads I've seen on a beer. Pretty strong amount of lacing. Retention is medium.

Nice smell that just screams "stout" as soon as the bottle's open. Milky and sweeter than the beer actually tastes. Roasty malt and hint of chocolate. Nicely done.

Lots of burnt malt. Bold flavors. Some chocolately flavor, but more espresso-like. I really would have liked more sweetness. Pretty well hopped, but I sense this has sat on the shelf for a while. Still bitter, but lacking hop flavors. Finishes dry and with some leafy hop bitterness. Some suggestions of oxidation too. Since Rogue does not bother to date their beers, I can't know for sure how old it is.

Surprisingly thin and acidic. Medium at best. The acidity costs this some points. Could stand to be creamier, less carbonated.

Eh, I was hoping for more here, especially from something with such high reviews. I liked the Chocolate Stout quite a bit more, and I think the added sweetness did it for me. I've heard the two are almost the same beer.

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

22oz. bottle into tulip snifter.

Pours black with a 1" thick milk chocolate color head that fizzles down to a thing ring of bubbles around the edge with a thin film covering the rest.

It smells heavily of roasted malts and cocoa, with definite notes of sweet oats and some coffee as well.

The taste is quite strong roasted notes. Though thankfully the roast does give way to some of the bitter cocoa, and sweet oats that I picked up on in the nose.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with fairly active carbonation.

This was a drinkable and well done stout, though it wouldn't be my personal choice as best for the style.

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Beautiful in the glass, very dark ruby and a tan creamy head.
Smell resembles aftershave and burnt coffee
Taste like old coffee grinds with cheap vodka
Feels a little weak, not much body
I will never drink this beer again, WAY too bitter
I really looked forward to this beer from reading the reviews but...
not my kind of beer

Review of 09/13/04
Decided to try this one again and either my first bottle had gone bad or I have a better appreciation for the hops now.

Very dark body, tan head with little retention and lace, no to little carbonation.
Smell is dark roasted and burnt coffee with a hint of cocoa beans. Alcohol is very apparent even in the nose.
Taste is similar to the smell. Hops clearly dominate the subdued malts along with the strong alcohol taste. Dry finish with a slight cocoa bean flavor, pleasant after taste much like the taste but more relaxed/mellow.
Decent mouthfeel, leaves a good coating on the tongue.
Drinkability is ok, too alcoholic to have all evening and demands too much attention to be a session brew.

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Not sure why I've never had one of these, but I'm going to remedy that immediately. Split the bomber with the wife.

Smell is faint, bit o' malt o' meal, not much else. Oh, it's black. Head is cumulonimbus.

Shakespeare is a nice stout. Never been a big fan of his writing, but this is smooth, creamy, with a tang of hops and a jiggle of chocolate leaf in the back. IN YOUR FACE BIG BEERS! This is a nice, unabashedly regular old American Stout that's quite tasty, with some good deep malts to back up it's claims to greatness.

Not quite first rate for me, but very good.

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Ebony black with small but impressive tan head that lingers. Aroma is cascade and a roasted graininess. Smooth on the palate, thick and creamy. Flavor is malty with a hint of chocolate and hop bitterness. Finishes drier than the other Rogue Stouts I've tried

Drank from pint glass.

A: Poured with a one and a half finger tan head with big bubbles that stuck around for a while. This beer is almost jet black, but I think I can make out some brown/dark red around the edges of the glass.

S: Big on roasted malts with hints of chocolate and oats with a strong bitter hop presence to back it up.

T: Flavor has a roasted coffee like quality with good bitterness. The aftertaste brings a little chocolate.

M: Beer has a medium carbonation level but is smooth at the same time, and thick.

D: Just because of the heaviness of the beer, I'd say it has a moderate drinkability. One 22oz bottle will do it for me.

Serving Type - 22oz Bottle

Appearance - Dark brown/black. Very nice 2 inch creamy brown head

Smell - Coffee, chocolate, some hops. Sugars, malts and barley, though no smell was strong.

Taste - Had a hard time finding this beer, been looking for months, finally scored. First drink, i was surprized that it wasnt so strong in the coffee flavor, and i could really taste the hops in it. Its really smooth and mild. The chocolate and hops are the big flavors at first, but the coffee and malts come alive. The brown sugar is mild at best, and the barley is medium.

Mouthfeel - As with oatmeal stouts, you get the coffee and chocolate up front, then tounge is left with the bitter oatmeal flavor. This beer is mild, you could drink another dark beer right after this.

Drinkabilty - Well, its soild but, too mild on flavors. I wish it had more coffee and or chocolate to it. You could easy down this 22oz'er. As usual, im a bit dissapointed with another rogue beer. This is good but, id for sure take samuel smiths oatmeal stout over this.

3.62/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Dark brown/black pour, with a modest light brown head that all too quickly reduced to a thin and spotty cover.

Smell: Medium + dark roasted malts overlaid with some spicy hops. Some oats, coffee and chocolate too.

Taste: It seems that the brewer replaced some grains (oats and/or dark malts) with hops; this is clearly an AMERICAN stout. It has a moderately bitter finish, with a relatively bitter and near-burnt aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body with mild carbonation. Has an unusual (for style) light crispness.

Overall: A decent oatmeal stout, but disappointing for a stout made by Rogue. Certainly served too cold and deserving of a re-tasting. I know you feel my pain. ;)

3.62/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

poured oil black with a huge frothy brown head up top. good looking brew.

smells roasty, earthy, and malty. some sweetness as well.

relatively straight forward flavors. dark roasted bitter combined with a "dirt" or earthy tone.

bitter and astringent mouthfeel that's surprisingly... welcome. good drinkability other than the bitterness.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had a nitro version at a tap take over at Novare Res

Black, black color with a big tan head. The head is dense and creamy.

The aroma is mainly roasted malts, coffee and chocolate. It all ends with a metallic nitrogen that detracts.

The flavor is big flavors of chocolate and roasted coffee. it is a smooth flavor and the body of the additional oatmeal make a nice mouth.

The only detraction is the nitro, I bet it would be better on straight co2

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Basically black in color, but with some brownnish-red highlights. Thick coffee foam settles slowly to an espresso crema-like cap.

Nose is all cascade, and a lot of it. One has to work to get any of the malt and coffee notes that one knows are there. These are easier to pick out as the beer warms.

Palate is out of balance for this taster - too much hop flavor. Not too much bitterness, but it tastes almost like a hop tea rather than a beer. There is some nice malt, coffee and bitter notes, but they are simply overwhelmed by the cascade flavor. Definitely a quality brew, but not to my taste.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

No freshness date; Poured in a snifter.

A - One inch of creamy, bubbly, khaki colored head with decent retention; Solid black in color; Just a bit of lacing left behind

S - Notes of oatmeal, licorice, brown sugar, dark chocolate, and just a bit of roastiness

T - Oatmeal and licorice flavors hit first; Afterwards, the licorice disappears, and more toasty, roasty, and mild chocolate flavors step forward with the oatmeal; Some bitterness and earthy hops come through from mid-taste to the finish as well

M - Just below moderate carbonation; Full bodied; Creamy and smooth mouthfeel; Leaves the mouth pretty dry in the finish

O - Overall, this was a decent stout, but not one that really stood out for me. The sum of all the aromas and flavors just didn't seem to come together quite right for my palate. That said, the look and mouthfeel of this beer were great, and I'm hoping the next Rogue beer I try will bring some redemption.

3.61/5  rDev -13.2%

I just picked this up for the first time the other day and actually have been looking forward to this brew. I love Stouts and I love Rogue.

The bottle is just the normal Rogue graphic with the character dressed up like...Shakespeare? Nothing really special or extraordinary.

The pour was really the most exciting part of this brew. It came out farely thick but really dark. Something that also struck me was the three and a half finger head that matured after the pour. The head is really dark with a brown shade.

Okay, so here is the deal. This 'soapy' flavor and mouthfeel that everyone has been describing it as is not good. I do not like it with Belgium ales and I do not enjoy it when it comes with my stout. The taste really does not strike me as anything special. I do not want to be too negative but I was kind of disapointed.

The drinkability is good. I would only want to drink one of these because of the taste, but as far as how many I could drink, probably a few. See, with my stouts I like overwhelming flavor. This has a burnt barley and soapy froth flavor that does not taste too good.

Overall I would not buy this brew again. It does not take away from what Rogue does, it just proves how hard a good stout is to make.

3.6/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - poured from a 650ml bottle into a tulip glass. It pours opaque black a thick tan head. The head leaves a wall of lacing.

S - coffee and sweet/candied berries (strawberry jam)

T - sweet roasted malt and tannic hops

M - low carbonation, smooth body and a semi dry finish

D - the smell is inviting but the taste does not follow through as well as I hoped. It's still a decent stout.

3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Pours a dark brown, nice foamy head with fair head retention. Decent lacing.

Smells okay, nothing special. Slight chocolate scent.

Nice bitter dark chocolate at the forefront with hoppy end.

Mouthfeel okay , nothing special for a stout.

It is fairly average in some respects, but is very well balanced. Nothing jumps out at you, but I could drink these all night long without my tastebuds getting fried.

3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

I gotta watch my pour. I got huge head on this in a standard pint glass. Well, better luck next time.
Pours so deeply dark brown it might as well be called black. Dark tan head leaves good lace but drops a bit quick for my tastes, lasting maybe 2 minutes until remaining just a thickish island and ring.
Smell is toasted malt, wet newspaper, smoke, bittersweet chocolate with light coffee and hop notes. Decent balance.
Taste is toasty malt, wet newspaper, smoke, bittersweet chocolate and coffee. Balance is better. Gets ashy in the aftertaste and and some alcohol presence. None of the the sweetness expected from an oatmeal, either.
Medium bodied, light effervescence, slightly watery aspect. Drying to a slight extent. Needs more body and some sweetness. This isn't a good a beer as I had hoped, especially with the high rating it got. Oh well, one man's poison.... A good beer, but not great, imo. In fact, nearly every beer lower than this (#56 today) on the "Beers of Fame" list I prefer over this one.

3.6/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours out pitch black with a modest coffee-colored head that... Hm. Well, the head snuck away while I was watching "Sixth Sense". There wasn't any lacing.

Smell: Aroma is mainly chocolate, roasted malts, and smoke.

Taste: Extreme roasted malt flavors (burnt) that follow with black licorice and chocolate. The bitterness tends to lean towards being astringent, squashing the other flavors. Oh, and this one definitely finishes dry.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, with a sharp cabonation, and just a touch watery.

Drinkability: Not my favorite of the Rogue Gallery.

One thing's for sure, this beer is sure making my employer angry! I've been drinking it all day! I'm addicted!!!

3.59/5  rDev -13.7%

This is actually my first time having Shakespeare stout. I usually don't drink rogue stuff. Not a huge fan but got this one because it's in the top 100.

Pours an awesome deep black with a super sticky tan head and awesome lacing. Looks good.

Aroma is not as strong as I hoped but not bad. Roasty and a bit of coffee type aroma. Not much.

Taste is good. Nice roasty character but I feel it's missing something. Like more caramel malt or more oatmeal.

The mouthfeel is not what I expect from a good oatmeal stout. Needs to be more frothy. Needs more body. I need to chew and oatmeal stout.

Overall I probably won't buy this one again. Much better always avaliable stouts out there. Try it but it's not one I'll be keeping around. Doesn't live up to the top 100 IMO

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a large light brown head that fades slowly and leaves a spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of roasted dark malts, chocolate, oats and coffee with a touch of hops.

T: The taste is malty up front as you would expect, with flavors of dark chocolate, roasted oats and coffee. The sweetness fades quickly and leaves the bitterness of dark chocolate and pale hops. The after-taste is bitter-sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, decent kick, good representation of style, I like the fact that this beer isn't as sweet as most stouts are and even though I think this is a solid beer, I've definitely had better stouts than this one.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

650ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Acquired at a nearby bottle shop. Expectations are high given the recommendation and high rating by a friend, murrhey. I love a good Oatmeal Stout. 69 IBU.

Served straight from the fridge and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with pretzels.

A: Pours a silky attractive rich dark tan colour head of luscious excellent cream, great rolling frothy thickness, and staggering 8 minute retention. Body colour is a solid dark black. Nontransparent and opaque. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Decent albeit thin lacing as the head slowly recedes. Spot on for the style. I can't wait to try it.

Sm: Light roasted barley, rolling oats, dark malts, chocolate malt, and caramel. A surprisingly light aroma; I wouldn't call it subtle. Complex but understated. Light floral hopping. Hints of peat. Not as bold or evocative as I'd like, but appealing for the style. The oats certainly come through.

T/Mf: Creamy in the late second act. Chocolate malt and dark malts form the supportive body alongside understated caramel. Oats give it a consistent character throughout and lend it that trademark smooth porter-like mouthfeel. Lightly earthy (purportedly from the oats). Unfortunately, the roasted barley character is nowhere near as pronounced as I'd like. It could also use more cream. Balanced and enjoyable, but lacking complexity or sufficient subtlety. I quite like it, but it's a bit wanting. Smooth and wet. Good carbonation and thickness. Good palate presence. It certainly doesn't lack body. Any hopping is minimal in strength and floral in character. Bitterness is low, as is perceived bitterness. The balance is a highlight here.

Dr: A balanced, drinkable oatmeal stout from Rogue. I'd love to try this on nitro. It's not a perfect example of the style, but it's certainly a notable one. It won't disappoint fans of the style, but I doubt it will really impress either. I quite enjoy it and will easily finish this bottle, but I hoped for more. It's one of the better Rogue beers I've had in recent memory. Hides its ABV well.

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

Appearance: Dark dark, perfectly clear brown. Some nice lacing on the side of the glass. Head is small and the color of coffee with a touch of cream. Drops to a tiny cap with decent retention.

Smell: Roasted barley. Layers of chocolate, hitting some nice dark cocoa and sweet milk chocolate. Dry oatmeal. Typical Rogue yeast in the back. Slightly earthy and grassy. Loads of chocolate. Some day old coffee. Vague mineral finish.

Taste: More roasted barley and chocolate. Slight bitter cocoa edge. Slightly overcooked malt sweetness. Some caramel backing. Biscuit. Rogue Paceman yeast is present, dropping some earthy and grassy flavors that seem to be a trademark. Hints of old coffee and sweet chocolate. Nice roasted profile.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a nice smooth creaminess. Lightish carbonation. Very clean.

Overall: Hey, I don't hate this.

Probably the best offering from Rogue. A nice take on the style, but there's that problem of the house yeast. Nice depth. It could be a lot worse.

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

starting off the new year with a rogue breakfast, having this and the hazelnut. after hearing lots of good things about this one, i feel let down a bit. poured a dark brown with a half finger of mocha colored head that leaves very little lacing as the drink disappears. smell and taste are both the same with faint hints of roasted coffee, chocolate and the oats seem to be the last thing you experience. maybe it's just me, but i like the oats to play a more prominent roll. has a medium body with ok carbonation and a bad bitter finish. wish it was thick and chewy so i could enjoy the oats. this is just an ok oatmeal stout.

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

22oz. bottle served in my Sam Smith tulip nonic. Pours the color and clarity of cola with a dense, rocky, mocha-colored head that sizzles and pops and slowly recedes. Head eventually settles into a solid, quarter inch cap with a few spots and swaths of lacing revealed during the tasting. Nose suggests cocoa; however, it seems a bit chalky, as well as a slightly metallic quality. There's also a trace of lactose in the mix. Taste follows nose; however, there's also a roasted character and a slightly burnt/ashy flavor that lingers between quaffs. Mouthfeel is medium-light, with a lively effervescence and a semi-dry finish. A solid example of the style, but nothing to write home about here.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales