Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,574 | Hads: 3,267
4.87/5  rDev +17.1%

Yes, this is where it's at. The best American Stout I have ever had. Pours out to a deep onyx, with a dark brown colored head of about 1/2 inch. Medium level of carbonation, but still higher than what's found in most American Stouts. Smell is heavenly; aromas of roasted malts and sweetended milk chocolate. Wonderful. Taste is full and delicious. Flavors of rich malts, sweet cocoa and chocolate, mild dark fruits, and a tame yeast element. Hints of wood and earth are also noted. Phenominal. Mouthfeel is smooth and exceptionally creamy. Drinkability is very high; even though this is thick and full bodied, this could be a daily brew for me in the winter months. World Class, and highly recommended.

4.87/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured into my St. Bernardus goblet, every beer seems to taste good out of it.

Appearance: dark, nearly pitch black. Nice full caramel head with good retention.

Smell: Roasted barley, espresso, a little bit of cherries, chocolate, slight smoke aroma. I think this may be the most wonderful smelling stout I've had. Complex and bold, yet balanced.

Taste: I could swear there's a whole bar of rich dark chocolate in this goblet. At the same time, it isn't too sweet, nice cascade hop kick at the end. So smooth and creamy, perfect light carbonation. This is a masterpiece. Roasted malt lasts and lasts in the mouth.

Drinkability: Can't give it a 5, but I sure wish I had another bomber of this.

4.87/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: Black as night. A nice, one finger, brown head forms and hangs around for a few minutes. After a while, it dissipates down to a very thin covering, and it stays there. Nice lacing down the glass as it goes.

Smell: The hoppiest stout I've ever encountered. The hops scent is strong and tangy. In equal measure with the hops is a wonderful roasted scent. Strong coffee present. Potpourri should smell this good.

Taste: A brief note of cream-like sweetness as it hits the tip of the tongue. Next a rich roasted espresso flavor with strong, bitter hops. The flavor gets more strongly roasted and burnt as it goes down. Lovely, long coffee-like finish. Do I detect a trace of smoke? I do. Oh boy, this tastes good.

Mouthfeel: Plenty thick and highly carbonated. Feels like I think this style of stout should. Not as creamy and smooth as an Irish stout, instead a brash, aggressive force in your mouth.

Drinkability: Honestly, I could drink this all the time. The beautiful, big-ass bitter roasted goodness paired with the big-ass mouthfeel means that some people will have trouble drinking this one. I weep for them.

Final Notes: This might well be my favorite beer. It's unquestionably my favorite dry stout. This beer is unafraid to be big and ruthless. It's good. It’s so good.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

This is now officialy the best stout that I have ever had. This poured jet black with a medium sized brown head that turned into a nice pillowy froth on top of the beer. The smell was heavenly with the smell of coffee beans and a slight hint of plum. The taste just killed me with its perfect balance of hoppy, chocolate and smokey flavors all rounded out by a great coffee finish. This stout is balanced to perfection and is one of the few that I could pound back all night and enjoy every minute of it.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

I can add little to the consecrating that's been done over this beauty by the reviewers who drank the bottles I wish I now had in front of me.

Rather than the charcoal that Drew noted, I picked up a "cleanness," a difficult to define taste/mouthfeel thing that I've noted most usually in beers from Maine (I know, this one's from the other side of the country) - maybe the water/yeast has something to do with it? "Cleanness" is a quality that allows all of the beers complexities to come through - think about the mouthfeel you get from water from an ice-cold mountain spring. The beer equivalent of a full-range electrostatic speaker.

Whatever. Please, sir, may I have another?

22 oz poured into snifter

A- Opaque, midnight black with a great fluffy brown head. Good retention with some lacing.

S- Earthy hops with burnt coffee, bitter chocolate and roasted malt. Classic.

T- Nicely bitter with roasted malt and bitter chocolate and coffee. Great finish with a nice lingering bitter chocolate.

M- Rich and creamy with great carbonation, not heavy. Fantastic.

D- Highly drinkable due to the great mouthfeel, taste and 6% ABV. I could drink this all day and be very happy.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Appearance - Pours jet black, with light penetrating only the thinnest edges. Head is a light cocoa powder color, 2 fingers thick and excellent retention. Resulting lace is thick and sticky.

Smell - Darkly roasted malts. Chocolate and mocha. Faint notes of oat. I could live off this smell.

Taste - Perfectly roasted malt. Unsweetened chocolate and coffee, with notes of caramel and oat. A faint touch of smoke lurks below. Hops are bitter citrus, like orange pith, and compliment the malt complexities without flaw. Superb balance. Dark but refreshing. Finishes with slightly bitter dark chocolate and light smokiness. So amazing! My perfect oatmeal stout!

Mouthfeel - Full body. Beautiful, silky smooth and creamy.

Overall - This is only like, my favorite beer ever. when I'm drinking a Shakespeare, I don't have a care in the world. Sensual qualities. Sexy smooth.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours blacker than black with a very creamy brown head that leaves a nice lace all the way down the glass. Strong chocolate aromas as well as some dark roasted coffee. There is also some nice piney/grapefruity bitter smell to this brew. Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. Tons of chocolate in thsi brew, especially as it warms. Good coffee characteristics as well and only a small amount of perceived bitterness due to the cascades but not very much actual hop taste/flavor. Smooth and chewy mouthfeel that is definitely contributed to by the oats that are added. This is one awesomely drinkable beer and is one of my all time favorites. It is definitely very deserving of it's spot on the top beers.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

22oz. bomber poured into Duvel Tulip.

A - Deep, deep brown. Frothy good sized mocha colored head, excellent lacing and retention.

S - Sweet malts, coffee - cream - mocha - chocolate. Underlays of hops.

T - Taste upfront has a nice attentive hop bitterness to it. Layers of delicate chocolate, toffee, and roasted notes come through. These don't produce much sweetness, and only attend to the balance of the sweeping waves of hops. Aftertaste is strong roasted bitterness, that lingers for quite a long time. Long enough to take a nap, and still taste it after you awaken. Mouthfeel is creamy and finishes with a coating on the palate. Delicious and suprisingly bitter.

An incredible American Stout, and one that I highly recommend.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Well not much I can say, that hasn't already been stated. I thought this was great. Jet black color, very thick, is it going to make it out of the bottle ? Nice thick tan head, little oily drops dancing on top. Smell was sweet and bitter at the same time. I really noticed the roasted fruit and malt. Tasted better than it smelled.Very even taste, sweet, the fruit, malt, and touch of hops as well. Very good, mesermerizing beer, I just looked at it and wondered how it could taste so good. This also at the top of my list. I have only 1 left of 6. Bummer.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

What an awesome experience.
A Esspresso brown with a carmel colored head, great lacing.

S Reminded me of mollasses, sweet, pungent and enticing

T Hoppy for a stout, not excessivly bitter, nice chocolate/coffee mix with a little citrus rind mixed in.

M Can I say heaven in my mouth?

D I would have to say Yes, draft, bottle or from someone elses glass

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

first of all, it smells delicious. it's like those super chewy chocolate candies. riesens, i think they're called.

it pours black as night. and light doesn't penetrate it at all. i actually held it up to a light bulb and it was like "yeah, (frank) that".

it has a thick dark tan (almost brown) head that sticks around and gets kind of lumpy after a while before it dissipates, sticking to the glass the entire way.

it's creamy and smooth and goes down easy. it's delicious and refreshing when it's cold and it gets even better as it warms up a little bit (you can really taste the riesens). it's the perfect amount of sweetness. it's definitely there but not even close to being overpoweringly sweet.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

A bomber for breakfast...

This may well be the best stout I've ever tasted. It was as black as a starless midnight with a thick creamy brown head. Interesting, and damn fine, aroma of roasted barley and a bit of citrusy hops. Nice thick, rich stout with an incredible flavor!

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Starts by pouring a nice coffee black with a dark tan / copper head that is very creamy. Notes of roasted malts among other things in the aroma. Roasted malts come upfront on the palate then finishes with nice notes of chocolate in the aftertaste. Very smooth mouth feel.
Every beer that I had from Rogue was great! They have so many great beers!

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured from a 650ml bottle into an imperial pint glass. Bottle has a best before date of 8 October 2010. Been looking forward to this one as Shakespeare Stout was always one of my favorites before I joined BA and when I lived in the US...what luck that it has made its way to Norway!

A: Beautiful pour into the glass. Jet black with a thick, creamy tan head. Foam sticks to the glass to form intricate lace patterns. Your quintessential stout if I ever saw one.

S: Oats, milk, chocolate (dark and milk), toasted malt, cinnamon toast crunch, chocolate chip cookies. Just the way I remember it.

T: Like rediscovering a lost love. Where have you been the past few years? Chocolate -- dark chocolate, burnt cocoa powder, toasty malt, and a slight hint of dark fruit in the background, like a plum, perhaps. Oatmeal there as well. Bottle talks about an earthy flavor and a mellow chocolate aftertaste, which is right on the mark. Very satisfying and not excessively complex. A good reminder about how pleasurable an American stout can be after sampling the extreme beer scene. Rogue hit a bulls eye with this one. Lightening in a bottle.

M: Smooth, substantial, velvety, embracing, with a perfect amount of carbonation to cut through the fats on compliments like sharp cheeses.

D: For me, Shakespeare Stout is the definition of drinkability. Obviously we're not talking a thirst quencher that you're going to turn to to sate your thirst. What we're talking is a beautiful work of art that you're going to enjoy several pints of on a quiet evening, relishing life's simple pleasures. Not that this is a simple beer, but you get my meaning.

4.84/5  rDev +16.3%

Appearance: solid, impenetrably black. Thin head, low carbonation. A very understated looking stout. Not the special effect show of a nitro pour.

Smell: everything you have ever thought about in a stout is in here: chocolate, honey, toffee, roast beef, smoky wood, toasted grains, ripe fruit, coffee & much more. A knock your socks off kind of aroma, sold, rich, powerful & sweet.

Taste/ Mouthfeel: bitter & full flavor, sweet & nutty, oak & burgundy. A host of flavor swirls in your mouth, a powerhouse taste sensation. Yummy beer meal goodness finish.

Drinkability: is so good you will have no problems putting down several of these. Don’t expect to be hungry for some time, but you won’t be worrying about that. A stunningly good beer.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

A: Dark-chocolate-black topped with 4 fingers of fluffy, brown head that recedes to 1 finger of creamy head. Lacing sticks around for a long time.

S: Sweet scent of caramelized sugar and wisps of light smoke. Fresh hoppy aroma. Dance between sweetness and bitter/crisp hops is elegant and enjoyable.

T: Wow! The brewers at Rogue got this one right. Full, inviting creaminess. Sweet malt and barley linger until they are politely washed away by slightly citrusy hops.

M: Mouth fills with creamy, warming goodness. The finish is very clean with only a slightly hoppy aftertaste.

D: Great session stout. Tons of flavor without too much alcohol. Easy and enjoyable to drink and priced fairly.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

What can I say? I think I've found beer Nirvana..

Poured out black as night into my snifter.. Smell was of dark roast espresso with a twinge of hops. Taste was malty, with just a hint of molasses on the tongue, along with that really bitter black chocolate you get with a really high African cocoa bean content. Goes down velvety smooth and leaves nothing but a clean afterfeel on the palate. I will come back to this time after time...

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

I finally found this at the local Wild Oats, stashed inconspicuously behind a couple of Dead Guys. This rather thick, deep black beer produced a large yet transient head similar in color to milk chocolate. Intimidating and enticing.

A rindy bitterness accosts my nose on the first whiff. A closer smell reveals notes of molasses and crisp pear, a warm bready sweetness underlies the aroma throughout.

Hoppy! Such a nice hoppy stout. Certainly a PNW stout with less of a grainy sweetnes than I would expect. What sweetness there is comes first. It is slightly syrupy and refined. It doesn't remind me of anything in particular; kind of a generic malty sweetness. Then a barrage of bitter notes, first slightly creamy, then rindy like kumquats, then green and fresh like arugula. An espresso-like tang persists.

This feels smooth in my mouth, and Rogue (as usual) errs on the side of safety with the carbonation. Refreshing for a stout.

The drinkability is surprisingly high here. Perhaps this is a good session stout for those that eschew Guinness. Altogether though, when I want stout I'll pick up a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal or Rogue Chocolate Stout instead.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Very dark, pretty much black body with a medium sized brown head. A thing of beauty. I can see why this is called Shakespeare Stout, if indeed, Shakespeare was black and smelled of sweet roasted malts, rum-soaked coffee cake, and hops. Taste is not sweet as the smell might indicate, but loaded with malts and delicious roastiness. Very robust burned, roasty, coffee flavors--amazing. The only other stout that I can compare it to is Kalamazoo stout. Finish is delightfully dry and bitter with lingering chocolatey roastiness. I can tell the alcohol is there, but it goes down so easily. Maybe I will compose a sonnet to this beer, but on the other hand I think I'll just drink, enjoy, savor, and buy some for my family members for Christmas.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

An oatmeal variant of their famous - and highly rated - Shakespeare Stout, which is one of my faves. It pours a beautiful opaque near-midnight black with a thick, fine-bubbled, persistent dark tan head. Strong aroma is richly of fine coffee and quality chocolate, very tempting. Flavor is like a fine mocha, quality roast coffee and good chocolate, not too sweet, hints of molasses. Texture is smooth, tingly and fizzy, leaving a slightly sweet and very pleasing finish. A must for stouties!

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

Ahhh Shakespeare Stout...I've been waiting awhile to try this one. Pours from the bomber a thick old motor oil black with a beautiful dark tan head. This brew is night. Roasted oats, molasses and cocoa waft up into my nose from the glass. Spicy citrus hop undertones as well...nose candy.

The first sip ignites with roasted, even a bit smoky oat tones rolled up with bitersweet chocolate, roasted coffee, molasses, raisins and just a slight hint of bitter citric hoppiness. Nirvana in a glass...simply stout-tastic.

Mouthfeel is creamy, lush and full. Shakespeare commands you to drink! Drinkability is marvelous as well. Can there be a reason to stop drinking this....I didn't think so. One of the best straight up stouts I've yet to have...props to Rogue. Highly recommended...a brew to be reckoned with.

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours an oily, black with a one finger head that lasts for a bit, no lacing.
Smell is of malt, malt, malt and some ripe, dark fruit with a bit of chocolate.
Taste is incredible sweet, dark, roasted malt, just as it starts to finish there is ripe dark fruits, then quickly followed by bitter, dry, chocolate, exspresso at the very end and stays forever. I Love a good stout!!!
Mouthfeel is full bodied and robust, creamy, nice carbination.
Drinkability is quite nice I could put few of these away sitting by a nice campfire in front of the family cottage with a gentle breeze coming off of the small, clear, spring fed lake under the Northern Michigan fall moon.

I have yet to find a Rogue product I don't like. This, however, is probably the best stout I have ever placed my hands on.

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

Dark chocolate silk with just enough complexity to always be interesting yet not so intense so as to lose drinkability. This is THE session stout. Aroma is chocolate-covered black raspberries. The roastedness is strong but melds seamlessly with the other flavors of caramel and hops. Yes, the hops are there, just like we expect from Rogue, but they are not overly fruity. Their flavor adds earthiness and life to the aroma and a vinous depth to the flavor. Body is medium-thin, but the low carbonation stops it from feeling at all fizzy. Lingering bitterness and roasted acidity tantalize the taste buds for another sip. Oh yeah, this is nice.

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

This is an excellent stout! 22 oz "bomber". Pours out black with a thick, medium brown head. Aroma combines sweet scents of chocolate, caramel, oats and coffee. Mouthfeel is smooth, creamy and full-bodied. Tastes are of chocolate, oatmeal, coffee and roasted malts. There's a smoky bitterness in the finish. This is the first Rogue beer that I've tried and I have to admit that I'm very impressed.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales