Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,187 | Reviews: 1,584
4.77/5  rDev +15.2%

22 oz. bomber served at cellarish temps in a pint glass.

Appearance: Black as ebon, surmounted by a light brown head of thick, rocky, and dense bubbles. A thick film of bubbles stuck around as I joyously drank the bottle.

Smell: Prunes, vanilla, fertile humus, faint whiffs of hops and oats. Dense and complex, far better than some imperial stouts that I've had.

Taste: Intense roasted malt flavors, like a nice cup of bitter dark espresso. Pruny dark chocolate malts underlying all this. Piney cascades on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Talk about yer "vim and vigor." The real reason those words had to be crossed off DFH's WWS was the BATF having one of these puppies. Big and hearty mouthfeel.

Drinkability: One burly-ass stout. A roid-ragin', VW-van bench-pressin' drink. I likey.

Other: I remember the first time I had Shakespeare Stout was in 1996 or thereabouts. I was in NYC on a choir tour and went with a lady friend who loved beer to a nice restaurant where we shared a bottle of this with our meal. We both took a whiff and were amazed. My first words were, "Smells like dirt, and I mean the fertile black stuff we get out in Iowa." This was meant as a complement, and is something I'll stand by.

4.77/5  rDev +15.2%

A solid stout with a near black appearance and a chocolate smell sure to please any chocoholic. It doesn't stop there: the taste of chocolate is prevelent in the taste (though not as strong as the beer's brother: Rogue chocolate stout) . There is a light coffee and slightly more noticeable caramel overtone. A rich, thick mouthfeel, it is a beer that you can drink as a session beer.

US Trip Aug-Nov 04

A very deep almost jet black colour with a dark brown/tan head. Good slow carbonation.

This is without a doubt one of the best smelling stouts I've ever come across. Rich chocolate and coffee malt aromas mingle beautifully with some piney hops, that also have some tight floral notes to them as well.

The palate is insainly espresso and burnt/toast flavours, with a strong hoppy kick in the back. Brilliant mouthfeel with a roundness that counters the almost tart dryness of this brew. A top notch stout worth pondering existence over. Drink slowly and enjoy.

This was my last bottle of Rogue on my trip and boy was she a killer, the pick of the lot of the Rogue stable which is saying alot as these guys were one of my favourite overall breweries during my stay (and who knows, if I tried more of their brews they might be outright first)

4.76/5  rDev +15%

The beer smells good, but can't match the marvelous toffee, chocolate and coffee flavors that emerge. Suitable for both bar drinking or as a dessert. Another masterwork from Rogue.

4.76/5  rDev +15%

Oh my gosh, this was a good beer. I'm a huge stout fan to start with, but this is a great stout. The appearance was great. It was like a big black mass topped by a lightly colored chocolate milkshake. The head was very creamy, especially considering it wasn't nitrous dispensed. Allergy season is kicking in right now so I couldn't get much out of the smell, but what I did get was nice. The taste is great, a little more roasted/burned bitterness than most of the other stouts I've tried, but it was backed up by a full, rich flavor. Combined with the mouthfeel it tasted like a drinking a glass of thin chocolate milk with a good bit less lactic sweetness (although I may have picked up some of that) and a healthy shot of dark chocolate espresso. This beer would be frightening if nitrous dispensed.

4.76/5  rDev +15%

Ahh, Shakespeare Stout. My favorite of all stouts. Why, you ask? This is a beer that proves that less really can be more. This beer, for me, is one that all other American stouts are measured against.

Shakespeare Stout is the color of midnight with a small, everlasting tan head that contrasts brilliantly with the beer below. I drank a 22oz bomber out of a large pint glass and the head never faltered in close to an hour. Amazing, really.

Smell is subdued; nothing fancy here. Mild chocolate, espresso, malt, maybe some honey. Not nearly as aromatic as some other Rogue beers.

On first sip, a tingly bite leaps into your mouth and fades into intense roasted malt, coffee and cocoa flavors. Marvelous mouthfeel -- rich and smooth. This one actually made my mouth water after the first taste. That, my friends, is a good beer. The aftertaste lasts a long while, daring you to fill your mouth again. This stout is close to perfection in my book. My main beef is that isn't sold in 6-packs.

This is a classic stout. Not overly complex, no gimmicks, no weird additions. Simply fresh, delightful taste. Balance in a bottle. Highest recommendation.

4.76/5  rDev +15%

Awww yeeah; this is the good, good stuff.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

This stout exemplifies balance just as well as or better than any stout I've tried. Pours opaque with a frothy brown head that lasts indefinitely. Nose is of the roasted variety with a bit of chocolate and coffee characters. Taste is nearly unsurpassed. Notes of hoppy bitterness, bittersweet chocolate, roasted malt and coffee are all there. Excellent mouthfeel. Finish lingers for what seems like forever. It's hard to get enough of this blissful stout.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Black body with a very large and thick tan colored head. It has a very sweet roasted malt aroma with hints of hops and some chocolate, toffee and some coffee flavors as well. The taste delivers just that. It tastes of roasted malts along with a litte hop bitterness to balance out the sweetness of the stout which is followed by subtly sweet tastes of chocolate, toffee, and coffee. The moutfeel is excellent. It has a velvety smooth mouthfeel with the right amount of carbonation for this beer. It is an extremely drinkable beer and I would reccommend this one to anyone looking to taste how a stout should be made.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

I am a real beer novice. This being one of my very first gourmet brews. I may not have all the terminology down yet but I will try my best to give my impressions about this wonderful beer.

A - Poured very dark almost black very much like a melted chocolate syrup almost into a thick almost 2 inch head creamy brown head that lasted several minutes

S - The smell was aromatic with chocolate overtones and with a hint of spices and nutty smells (it was awesome)

T - Taste was very velvety and smooth had a wonderful chocolate up front and then moving to just a bit of the more bitter hoppy flavors I guess.

M - This was very creamy and smooth felt very full in the mouth was thick and very pleasant

D - I don't know what to say other than I enjoyed every sip of this wonderful beer

Like I said I'm new to this so I won't pretend to be an expert by any means but this was one of my first what I would call more obscure (at least to the average consumer) beers and it was a wonderful experience. I would highly recommend this beer any time

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Tasty!! Smooth stout. If that makes since. Haha. Great taste.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Pours a pitch black with a 2 finger + head. Excellent carbonation retention in this beer, I'm guessing from the amount of hops used as indicated by the label. Miss the nice cascade found in many stouts, but oh well, pretty darn beautiful.

For the aroma I get green olives (canned), coffee, bitter roasted oatmeal and barley, bitter baker's cocoa. There is a bright hoppiness under the malts and I can definitely taste the cascade hops (also indicated on the ingredients list). The tangy hops mixed with the bitter malts presents a range of flavor combinations not readily found in Russian Imperials or English stouts. Go America!

A really interesting and complex taste. I perceive canned olives once again, almost burnt whole grain toast, dark chocolate consisting of a cocoa ratio of 70% +, and a cinnamon/pepper combination that resembles both and tastes like neither, and coffee (though not espresso as is popular these days). I realize the roasted barley and the oats (though I get more barley than oat which I kinda like as oats are sometimes too astringently bitter for my personal taste), cascade hops, and underneath a bevy of different malts (crystal and chocolate, though to varying degrees).

Mouthfeel is perfect, or as close as I've experienced. Hops give this brew excellent carbonation retention while thickening the beer enough to be velvety smooth. I also think that there is more roasted barley than oats in this one and if so, the malts contribute a much thinner body than usual for a heavy stout, which is balanced nicely by the hops. If there were more oats (keeping in mind this is my estimation) the mouthfeel would have been overwhelmingly syrupy.

A highly drinkable stout! I think what throws people off is the hoppiness which is unexpected in a stout. What these people aren't noticing is that this is an American Stout, so it makes sense for it to be different. I've had other cascade-hopped stouts (by Rock Bottom in Palos Park, Illinois and Goose Island in Chicago, Illinois) and this is by far the best. Its unexpected and balanced well. This brew gets so much better as it warms up so please try not to gulp it all down to hastily. A stout to make even the most earnest liberal climb on their roof and shout, "Go America!"

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

The bottle says "ebony" and boy do they tell it like it is, dark and the day before creation this one is. A dirty, cola colored head as well that creates a union of the darkest proportions.
The smell is quite good, with cola, coffee, toffee, unsweetened chocolate and (i'll be damned) mud permeating throughout. The citric acid here is a bit too dominant as you get through the beer.
This beer is nice and salty on the front (which reminds me of coastal pacific waters) with the coffee/toffee and cream flavors coming out to play throughout the mouth. Hops are definitly evident, and this is the great, american thing about this beer. It's very bold, yet refined and able to hold itself with the rest of the world's stouts.
The mouthfeel is, quite honestly, perfect. It's lead-heavy, however it doesn't weigh you down, but controls you palette in the most elegant of ways. When you finish the beer the aftertaste moves toward a rennet on the back, like a fine, salty cheese. A nice cream stout moves to a chocolate orange to a fine cheese--you can't ask for much more.
It's drinkability it good, despite the fact that you can really only session one (tops two) of these at a time. The answer to that? One is all you need. 6% ABV didn't seem like alot until about 10 minutes after I finished it, when this issue was resolved for me. Very enjoyable, very drinkable, and very warming. It's the perfect drink if you want high flavor but the humbleness of your beverage to blend in to what else is going on around you (Food, friends, etc.). Not much wrong here, not much at all. Can't wait to try this gem on tap.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Purple Fiddle. Thomas WV. Leah's favorite oatmeal stout.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Wow, This beer pours an incredible dark brown which is just a few shades short of black. The generous and rocky head is also a deep tan that I've rarely seen.

The aroma is that of coffee and toasted malts. You can smell the roasting malts and the citrusy character of the cascade hops.

Tastes so rich and so incredible malty. The roasted flavor covers the palate and rests in the back of the mouth. As the beer goes down the hop bitterness comes into play at equal strength. The malts are not overwhelmed by the hops, and the hops are not overwhelmed by the malts. This is a perfectly balanced beer, and tastes so smooth.

Goes down easy, the carbonation is appropriate for a stout, not too high at all. Feels wonderful in the mouth, this beer is thick, but not syrupy by any means.

Tastes great, smells great, and a joy to look at. I will buy this again and again.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

I've been looking forward to finding this one...

Pours black as death with a small ruby/brown head. The head is creamy a dissipates fairly quickly but looks like some is trying to hang on to the side.

The smell is more noticeable than many beers I've had lately. Mostly like a mocha coffee smell, maybe a touch sweeter. A little toasty malt smell in there too.

The taste goes through many nice stages throughout the drink. The mild coffee taste starts in front and some candy sweetness in the back. The aftertaste really pays off with the chocolate and a bit more of the coffee. A wonderful taste.

This is a little more carbonated than most stouts. Might be the only thing even slightly wrong with this brew, and it isn't bad. It still goes down great and the taste doesn't hurt it.

Not much to say about drinkability. This bomber was great....and I so wish I had another. This has great taste without being too hard on your head. Great for sessions!

A couple of quick postscripts: 1) This is warming a bit and getting even better. 2) If you're in the KC area I found this at the south Gomer's, my first sighting of this great brew.

Served in a pint glass.

It's great we start with the appearance because this is what I like most about Rogue's Shakespeare Stout. This is what the beer of my dreams looks like, when I'm asleep and two gorgeous beer angels come down from heaven with a pint glass. The glass is filled with something that looks just like this. It's a dark stout that absorbs all light. The 3-4 finger caramel-colored head has great retention and leaves lacing as you drink.

The smell is also exquisite. The bitter hops smell is present, but this is offset perfectly by a sweet and malty chocolate smell. It's very well balanced and smells like expensive coffee ice cream.

If I had to mark this down it's because the bitterness, to me, overpowered the sweeter aspects. So, while the balance isn't quite perfect, the flavors are still there in all their glory. There is a bitter coffee taste that is still present long after you drink, but there is a certain smooth sweetness that is present throughout, making this very enjoyable to drink.

The feel is very smooth with just the slightest bit of carbonation. It is rich and thick, which I like about stouts.

The drink itself is terrific. The rich characteristics of the beer make it a real treat. It is bold and very creamy. Great beer.

4.74/5  rDev +14.5%

Pours jet black, with a minimal dark khaki head that dissipates to a dusting. Great aroma, with rich, burnt malts, coffee grounds, caramel sweetness and citric hops intermingling. At lower temperatures, there's a pronounced "sour stout" note, as well as bracing malt bitterness. At higher temperatures, these edges soften considerably, leaving caramel, coffee, nice citrus hop bitterness, and mouth filling carbonation. Brilliant. Great mouthfeel, medium with an enticing dryness (this isn't a sugarbomb). Very drinkable at 6 percent ABV, and a party in your mouth. Deservedly an underground classic amongst the beer geeks.

4.73/5  rDev +14.3%

Appearance – Well…surprise, it’s black. The head is a nice milk chocolate color and is almost a touch frothy. Lacing on the glass is quite good.

Smell – Very nice and strong roasted malt smell to this one. I also sense bits of chocolate malt and coffee. Somewhere in there is can also detect some hops which give out a faint citrus aroma. All in all quite good.

Taste – Absolutely exceptional. Up front is so strong of roasted malts it crazy. The flavor of toasted coffee bean is to follow with equal strength. Chocolate is not as present, but can be detected if looked for. This beer then has a strong hop finish giving a nice soothing bitterness along with burnt wood feeling.

Mouthfeel – Thick and creamy just as it should be. Carbonation is not detectable, but the beer is not flat. Great.

Drinkability – Perfect.

As I got farther into this bottle I fell in love with this stout more and more. It is fantastic. Each sip was better right to the bitter end. Buy this now if you can, you won’t regret it.

4.73/5  rDev +14.3%

What more could you want from an oatmeal stout? It's creamy, delicious, aromatic, and dances perfectly on your tongue. The roasted notes of coffee and chocolate are present but masterfully subdued. Balance is the end result here, and Rogue has achieved it. The color is perfectly dark, the consistency is perfectly stout-like. There are few better examples of this style.

You will not be disappointed by this beer.

4.73/5  rDev +14.3%

Black, nearly opaque, with an impressive dark tan foam topping it. This settles, but stays pretty thick and leaves patchy lace. Dark chocolate aroma with some citrus and fruity hop character mixed in. Great malt/hop balance in the taste. Chocolate in the front and citrus in the finish. A bit of roasted/coffee character in between. Fantastic mouthfeel, probably the smoothest stout I've tried! Great complexity, Close to full-bodied, but you could say it's medium-full bodied. Just a wonderful taste from start to finish. Exceptionally drinkable! I can see this being a regular favorite of mine.

4.73/5  rDev +14.3%

It doesn't get any better than this. Poured dark as night, with a dark and creamy head. Smelled of chocolate and oatmeal and tasted the same. The tastes grew more complex throughout and ended incredibly mellow and smooth.

By far the best stout out there.

4.73/5  rDev +14.3%

MM ok my 200th review , I know it dont mean "jack" but its special to me.
Ok was skulking about my local Albertson today as the wife did the groceries..thought I would take a look at their walk in cooler ( with little hope of finding anything good) and LO and behold there it was one solitary bottle ..at the back 22 oz bomber grabbed it fast.back to wife smiling like a maniac!
OK its the usual high quality screen printed 22 oz bomber we have come to love from Rogue. Says "world stout champion" on the label
Well this beer is a work of art to behold ..completelly black even when held to the light..and a marvelous inch high chocolate coloured head..its dissapated to a lovelly lace..I really didnt want to touch this..maybe I will take a picture next time..hang it on my wall..perfect.
Wonderful aroma of all sorts of luscious dark stuff..chocolate, roasted oats,barley espressoo..it goes on and on
MMMMone wonderful tasting stout..its all of the above with added a creaminess..and a lovelly hop bitterness thats does not overwhelm but compliments ( odd for a stout but Rogue pulls it off).
Very smooth yet its challenging on the tongue.
For a big beer this is an excellent drinkable stout wow wee..I need more sir!

4.73/5  rDev +14.3%

I really like Stouts, but I must say that this may be my favorite.

Beautiful dark, dark black brew with a glorious dark tan fluffy head. Except for the edges, the beer is completely opaque.

Smooth mouth feel. Maybe it could use even more smoothness but that's flyspecking there.

Glorious dark toasty aroma and flavor that is to die for. Coffee, dark chocolate, and lots of toasted malt. If you let the beer linger in your mouth you can pick up a fair bit of unexpected hops (well I say that, Rogue really is known for hops, but it is a bit unusual for a stout). However the hops are not overpowering (as some of the other Rogue offerings) and really fit well with the style.

A superb dry stout. Highly recommended. The best of the Rogue beers I've had to date, and probably the best Stout I've had (but I change my mind on that pretty often).

4.73/5  rDev +14.3%

OLIVIA What's a drunken man like, fool?
CLOWN Like a drowned man, a fool, and a madman: one draught above heat makes him a fool, the second mads him, and a third drowns him. "Twelfth Night" (1.5.127-30)

Ale (similar to but heavier than beer) was the drink of choice in Shakespeare's day. Everyone from the poorest farmer to the Queen herself drank the brew made from malt, and a mini brewery was an essential part of every household. Shakespeare's own father was an official ale taster in Stratford.

Rogue's Stout would have drowned the Bard's father with wonderful taste wrapped in a cloak of darkness topped with a rich chocolate brown head. Aroma does not do justice to a taste toasted bitterness, thick malt, and perfect mouthfeel! Each sip ends in wonderment about the balance. It nearly defies description and certainly will take you away into a general joy that will likely be shared by all at the table that share its pleasures.

“(I) Drink to the general joy of the whole table” Macbeth: Macbeth, III, iv