Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Shakespeare Oatmeal StoutShakespeare Oatmeal Stout

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,568 | Hads: 3,241
4.26/5  rDev +2.4%

The beer pours that deep rich jet black color that so typifies the stout style, the head elephantine in size, the consistency frothy, the color a deep chocolate brown with the resultant lace a thick and glutinous sheet to smother the glass. The aromas of rich roasted malt, coffee, brown sugar sweet, also a light hop floral scent to seal off the nose. Start is bitter chocolate sweet, malt and the top thick and chewy, with a finish that is hop bitter and purposeful in its bite. The carbonation moderate and the aftertaste dry and long lasting. Quite a good stout in my books and one I enjoy often when a big beer is called for.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

This is a beers beer! So bloody good. One of the best stouts I have ever had. poured out blackish dark browm with a one inch dark tan head. Smooth in character and charming with it's mellow taste. This beer goes down real easy with quite conversation. Mmmmmmmmm

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

This is an exceptionally well-balanced stout -- simply delicious. Shakespeare Stout pours black, like a well-seasoned skillet, with a luscious mocha-brown head. The nose is dark and woodsy, with elements of dark chocolate, rum and, as Riggo has observed, olive (or even olive oil). The flavor profile is, I'll say it again, just exceptionally well-balanced. There are notes of espresso, oats, hops, chocolate and perhaps wild berries, but no single flavor dominates. The mouthfeel is robust, but not heavy, nicely balanced by a surprisingly crisp carbonatation and dry finish. (Even the bottle is great, with a dangerously well-dressed 'rogue' holding up a frothy mug of beer.)

With its subtle flavor, at least for the style, this isn't the biggest stout around and it's not going to assault or overwhelm your tastebuds. But that's just fine by me. In my judgment, this is one of the best beers produced in the U.S.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

This stout poured black with no hint of any other color. A thick, creamy, medium tan head quickly developed and stayed around for two to three drinks. As the head dissipated, it left behind a nice set of lacework, which also reappeared after each drink. It smelled of dark roasted grain and coffee.

The taste was better than I expected. It was slightly sharp with a nice roasty malt flavor with hints of coffee and little to no bitter after taste. It was not as heavy as I expected, there was little carbonation, and left a dry feeling after each drink.

3.34/5  rDev -19.7%

Comes in a 650mL pretty plain dark bottle with a very proud man holding a mug. Pours with a small tannish head that reduces to a lace fairly quickly. I really enjoy the opaque darkness and pretty delightful stout mouthfeel. My initial taste impression was burnt, slightly bitter coffee, and a faint chocolate malt taste on the way down. I wasn't too impressed. The bitterness lasted in a long disappointing aftertaste. I know it has it's place, but not a stout I will buy again. I recently had a Storm King Stout that was WAY better than Shakespeare while being higher in ABV.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

A great stout from Rogue that, though categorized here as a specialty stout, seems to me to fit pretty well into the Irish dry stout genre.

Pours an opaque, dark, dark brown to black with a beautiful chocolate brown head which is very creamy and inviting. Really an incredibly handsome beer. The bouquet is filled with roasted grains, coffee, must (old library books), cigarette smoke, perhaps anise, and olives/olive brine. On palette, dryness and sourness balanced by roasted malt sweetness with notes of bubblegum, espresso, chocolate, oak, and fruit. A distinctively quaffable stout, very well-balanced and full of character and just really solidy put-together in terms of the harmony achieved in brewing.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

Definately one of the better stouts. It's a nice dark black color, I couldn't see any light through it. It was like a black hole or something. The head didn't last too long, but it was a reddish/brown color, almost burnt sienna color. The taste was like a cappacino with some hints of olives. The after taste was more or a smooth semi-chocolately one. All in all, a good buy, and stands up to the hype.

4.73/5  rDev +13.7%

It doesn't get any better than this. Poured dark as night, with a dark and creamy head. Smelled of chocolate and oatmeal and tasted the same. The tastes grew more complex throughout and ended incredibly mellow and smooth.

By far the best stout out there.

4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

I think Shakespeare is my favorite tasting stout. Seems to hit the chocolate notes just right, and anytime I've had another stout in comparison, the Rogues' taste wins out. Pours as dark as can be, medium to rich mouthfeel. Quite hoppy (although nowhere near as overwhelming as the Imperial). A wonderfully drinkable beer, that is amongst my favorites. Does finish a little dry, and I never seem to feel the "kick" that one would expect from a 6+% ABV. Overall, small shortcomings for a terrific beer!

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

I saved this one for the last beer of the night, which helps to explain why my notes are so hard to read. Aroma was chocolate and hops. Taste was coffee and chocolate. My light-beer-drinking roommate wrote down "soy sauce" for some reason. I didn't find it salty or tasting anything like soy sauce. After drinking Rogue Mocha Porter I was expecting more of a hop presence. Still a very good stout, but the Shakespeare seemed closer to Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout than some of the other Rogue beers I've tried. Perhaps the preceding SN Celebration dulled my taste buds.

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautifully black in color. (Are any of the Rogue Stouts not black?)Just the way I like a stout. Big creamy, brown head forms a sheet of lace as it recedes to a thin head. Excellent retention. Lacing comes in sheets. Rich, chocolatey, bitter and burnt nose. Excellent. Mouthfeel is so velvety smooth. Silky. The body is about medium-full. Big taste upfront to me is bittersweet chocolate. I love a nicely hopped stout and this is just that. Cascades all the way, but very little grapefruit character exists. Must be "masked" or blended with the malts in a way to produce some textured flavors. A little coffee bean slips in here and there. Maybe some cherry (plum?). What a pleasure. Their Imperial Stout is my favorite, but this is excellent in it's own right. I can't believe I haven't reviewed it yet.

Thank you ZAP, budgood1 and Road Warrior for bringing this beer to me.

3.63/5  rDev -12.7%

Beautiful in the glass, very dark ruby and a tan creamy head.
Smell resembles aftershave and burnt coffee
Taste like old coffee grinds with cheap vodka
Feels a little weak, not much body
I will never drink this beer again, WAY too bitter
I really looked forward to this beer from reading the reviews but...
not my kind of beer

Review of 09/13/04
Decided to try this one again and either my first bottle had gone bad or I have a better appreciation for the hops now.

Very dark body, tan head with little retention and lace, no to little carbonation.
Smell is dark roasted and burnt coffee with a hint of cocoa beans. Alcohol is very apparent even in the nose.
Taste is similar to the smell. Hops clearly dominate the subdued malts along with the strong alcohol taste. Dry finish with a slight cocoa bean flavor, pleasant after taste much like the taste but more relaxed/mellow.
Decent mouthfeel, leaves a good coating on the tongue.
Drinkability is ok, too alcoholic to have all evening and demands too much attention to be a session brew.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

As black as night. With a nice tan cloud cover. Rogue's trademark hoppiness is present in the nose along with a nice toasty aroma. This is my favorite style of stout. Dry and hoppy. Not too rich, making it very drinkable in the long haul. A session stout if there ever was one. An after taste almost like burnt toast and I mean that in the most yummy sense of burnt toast (the die hards know what I mean). This might be my favorite stout ever, I have to think about it. While I finish my pint.

4.7/5  rDev +13%

A true heavyweight...the creaminess of this is really something...thick, rich and creamy...nose is of darkened grains..chocolate and even some raw leather....midnight black with a scarlet black mixed lace...For a sweet stout this has some serious hopping...a real dry finish....up front is the darkened malt...dark chocoloate...some espresso notes...like I said a real dry finish.....kind of a mix between a sweet stout and a dry stout....It has the craminess and complexity of a sweet stout but the finish of a dry stout...whatever the case this a great stout...not for the light hearted...

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

this work of art will pour to a kick ass black with a dark brown head floating on it. you will get many aromas of coffee, chocolate, hops, and maybe a touch of caramel.

this beer is so nice and creamy, like chocolate milk. it is rich and smooth, and just a delite to drink. it has a whole lot going on in the flavor. you get coffee, dark malts, and a little chocolate for the most part. it is also hopped a good deal to balance it out. an absolutely wonderful stout.

4.23/5  rDev +1.7%

This is a killer stout! Deep black with a solid thick brown head atop. Great hoppy aroma with lots of coffee as well.

Quite thick and creamy in the mouth. Complexity is off the charts. Has so many flavors to pick out; coffee, almond, dark chocolate, and some burnt malts. Plenty of hops in there as well to balance things out perfectly. Old Bill makes a great stout!

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Very dark black with a tan head that lasts and lasts. The smell is malt, chocolate and coffee. The first thing that you notice about the taste is how smooth it is. Nothing is overpowering, the hops and malt blend together to make something that is very balanced. A very great stout but I can't stop comparing it to Storm King. I know that it isn't in the same style but I can't stop comparing it to Storm King. Truly one of the best that I will go back for.

4.41/5  rDev +6%

Jet black with a boatload of dark brown head that seemed to last forever. Drank this one over the course of 40 minutes and the head always seemed to be present. Roasted malt aromas were very evident and pleasing, but not much complexity to them. Quite hoppy with a nice, balancing sweetness. The more you drink the more the various malt flavors come out (chocolate, roasted coffee). First impressions were that the beer was all hops, but once my tongue got acquainted to it the beer showed it had a lot more to offer. A wonderful beer.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Of all the Rogoues I have tasted this is probably one of the best if not the best. Allthoug I also really like the Nut Brown Ale I had while in Oregon.

Anyway; This dark and creamy stout has a very brown head that sets it off from other stouts. Also there is a rather surprisingly good hoppiness to this stout. This is no Guiness - So don't drink this wanting to compare to guiness. It is not creamy but more buttery in texture. a very good stout. If you want a comparison try Old Rasputin.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

This is a black stout that pours with a huge toffee colored head. The head retention is phenomenal as well. As the head recedes, it slowly fades into a rocky layer of film atop the beer, and leaves a thick coating of foam on the sides of the glass. A faint glimpse of dark redddish brown highlight is visible around the edge of the beer as you take a sip. The aroma is very nice, with roasted chocolate smells mingled with some hop spiciness. Malt sweetness is also evident in the aroma. The taste is very strong on the hops, and the citrusy notes of the Cascade hops is prominent. Strong roasted bitterness is also prevalent, with some chocolate notes to back it up. A faint hint of sweetness also creeps in on the finish.

At first, the hops seem a little out of character for a stout, but after a few sips, it works well. The mouthfeel is very creamy and smooth, with minimal carbonation evident on the tongue. It is also a very drinkable brew. I drank half a pint in no time, which made me glad it is a 22 ounce bottle. This is one fine beer that I will not hesitate to buy again.

3.72/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a syrupy black, no head at all. Big aromas of dark-roasted coffee, dark chocolate, ripe fruit, with an earthy, musty sort of smell underneath. There's more carbonation than meets the eye, lending a sandpapery mouthfeel. Roasted flavors are big--there's a huge malt profile here. Coffee-like and caramel maltiness blend with the roasted flavors, but there is also a strong bitterness that really helps prop the brew up. I wouldn't want more than one at any given time, but this is a very flavorful, interesting stout.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Pured black as a moonless night. The beer seemed to come out in chunks because it was so viscous. There was little head but what was there was a tan color. I smelled some dark fruits and some bitterness. The taste is like sucking on espresso beans. Nice hops bitterness. It sort of reminds me of some Imperial Stouts. Finish seems to be on the dry side. Maybe a bit of creaminess it. I thought it might be overrated but I don't knock it for being so highly praised.

4.46/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured jet black with a small disappearing head that leaves an appealing tan head for the duration. A caramel aroma with some grapefruit hints seems ordinary. Shakespeare goes down very easy with a great roasted flavor. This bomber went very quickly, i'm disappointed the packy only had one cause i want more!

4.12/5  rDev -1%

Very nice appearance: dark black with a very nice, full, long lasting dark tan head. A very pleasant smell, somewhat sweet and malty. The initial mouthfeel was of carbonation: sharp, malty, with coffee and dark chocolate overtones, with a somewhat sharp/bitter aftertaste. The taste was good: smooth, but a tad more bitter in the aftertaste than I prefer. The mouthfeel was good and smooth, but a bit carbonated if warm. The drinkability is good, though the bitter/sour aftertaste was a turn off. I found that this beer tasted much better if served chilled rather than at room temperature.

3.79/5  rDev -8.9%

I have become a big Rogue fan and I would have to say that Stouts (all) are my favorite beers, but this beer I found to be only good, not great. The color is black with a medium brown head that is thick after the pour but fades quickly. The smell is hoppy, but I didn't notice much else. The taste was just bland IMO. I caught some hints of malt and coffee but nothing really stood out. I think with beers that I expect to be good, that I often feel let down when I try them. That may be the case here. Altogether, this is surely a good beer, just less than I thought.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales