Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
cfrances33

08-09-2013 01:25:07 | More by fishguyac
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

Hmm, an American stout... haven't had a small stout in awhile, but here we go.

Poured into darkness snifter.

Pours about a finger and a half of a dull mocha brown, very murky colored. Decent retention with some thick lace patterns. I haven't seen a head with this color is awhile. Color is a dark dark brown, call it black.

Aroma: Big roasted malt profile, with a nice touch of grassy hops present. A lot of chocolate, caramel, molasses, and oats.

Taste: Very sweet and syrupy. The hops are there with all the roasted malts and things are matching up very well here. I get the oats, caramel, and chocolate again. This is really hard to drink.

Mouthfeel: Tons of carbonation here, full bodied. Not even that smooth or silky for a stout. This beer just isn't clicking.

Overall, I have a feeling I won't be able to finish this, and if I do it will take me several hours. This beer doesn't flow at all. Maybe I got a bad bottle, in which I will reevaluate next time I drink it, but this beer isn't very good at all. I can't recommend this even in the slightest way.

11-07-2009 01:42:58 | More by mothman

Nevada

04-23-2014 00:16:23 | More by AlkaholTester
LilBeerDoctor

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

Bottle. Pours black with a thick light tan head that just keeps coming. Aroma of roasted malt. Flavor of sweet roasted malt. Body is somewhat light for a stout but it's decent. An alright stout. Not much going on flavor-wise.
Aroma: 7/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 6/10
Palate: 3/5
Overall: 14/20
3.4/5

12-08-2008 02:59:36 | More by LilBeerDoctor
johnbonham1980

Idaho

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%

I've been drinking Shakespeare Stout for years but hadn't had one for awhile... I have to admit, while it's good, it's not the amazing experience that I remember. I think that I've gotten to enjoy stouts less and less over the years...

Poured with a medium brown stupendous head that lasted for quite awhile... pitch black in color.

Aroma is fairly non descript, with roasty and coffee notes predominant as well as a definite hop presence.

Taste is composed of a few elements, chiefly coffee and dark chocolate, with some very interesting spicy hop notes that taste a little of black pepper or chile pepper... hard to say exactly what it is that's in there but it adds a nice twist. It's also got some dark cherry to the flavor and I can definitely taste the oatmeal stout character from the oatmeal Rogue adds to it.

Mouthfeel's a bit thinner than I'd ask for... fairly drinkable.

I had this with a bit of gouda... didn't really add much to the flavor. I think this would be best enjoyed with a bit of sweet chocolate, or a steak.

Overall a good stout, but I find myself finding the standard stout less and less likeable over the years and finding imperial and Russian stouts much more interesting.

12-04-2006 02:23:01 | More by johnbonham1980
mactrail

Washington

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%

Beautiful dark appearance in the glass with an impeccable beige head to match. Bone dry on the palate but a nice sudsy mouthfeel with great carbonation.

The first flavor is bitterness. Dark chocolate and not a hint of sweetness. Overpowering burnt malt taste. Dark, charred flavors, barely a hint of caramel or even burnt sugar.

It is kind of like a nitro pour, with the big creamy foam. It's just so bitter and strongly, severely flavored. From the 22 oz bottle, which cost $7 in San Diego.

05-17-2012 06:02:55 | More by mactrail
9InchNails

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured into my mug from a 22 ounce bottle.

I got a lot a head on this. The head looks creamy, almost like a chocolate milk shake! The head is sticking around for quite some time. The beer is black, completely opaque. I can't see any bubbles whatsoever.

I smell dark malts and it seems almost like a floral smell, quite interesting. Definitely a little chocolate in there.

Mouth Feel: I feel no carbonation at. Its very thick and a little creamy. Okay, I do feel a little more carbonation on the second sip hitting my tongue.

Taste: a chocolate-ty coffee taste with a bitter end. You can definitely taste the dark malts but also some of the hops are pretty dominate.

Drink Ability: I can probably have one more and I'm done.

I have never tasted this beer before. I have had an Oatmeal Stout before and it tastes similar to that. Overall it's pretty good.

11-02-2010 05:14:40 | More by 9InchNails
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

3.28/5  rDev -21.2%

22 oz. bottle poured into a tumbler pint glass.

A: Pours a borderline pitch black color. The head is a huge four finger light mocha color with frustratingly high retention, a wonderfully creamy texture, and huge clumps of lacing on the glass.

S: Light oats, mild chocolate, and some solid roastiness. Nice, but a little weaker than I like.

T: At first, it's vaguely sweet, likely from the oats. There's little opening flavor here, it's mostly concentrated after the midtaste and finish, which is not only strong with roast (slightly acrid and excessively strong at times), it also tastes overhopped, to an extent. It's not a well melded hop profile as with Storm King, it's a 'clashing with the stout base' profile. At least the hops don't completely overpower the palate with grapefruit and pine; still, it's hardly a paragon of balance. Finally, enough sips will cause a slight lactic acid 'twang' to accumulate. I expected a lot more from this, but it's decent enough.

M: Creamy at first, before becoming prickly dry with a little lingering stickiness and low carbonation. Little to complain about here, Rogue got this part of the beer right. On the other hand, it's not as drinkable as it should be, but that's due to the unbalanced flavor profile more than anything.

O: I'm wondering if I served this too warm - but then I realized I had Samuel Smith's oatmeal stout at a similar temperature, and was far superior to this in just about every manner. I'd definitely try it again, just to confirm whether or not my fears are true. All in all, it's far from bad, just disappointing.

07-01-2012 20:11:49 | More by ThisWangsChung
grs8313

Maryland

3.3/5  rDev -20.7%

Appearance: 650ml bottle no bottling date. Pours very dark, black. Fine bubbles that dissipate quickly, with a head that is 1 and a half fingers.

Smell: I found the smell to be very faint, but it was of coffee and cocoa with hints of apricots and seltzer water.

Taste: Sweet and like seltzer water on the tip of the tongue. Coffee and cocoa hints on the sides of the tongue, with a slight acidity. Mild hop finish

Mouthfeel: Like seltzer water from the carbonation, not thick or syrupy at all.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable, more than I thought it would be. Does not kill the pallet with coffee or hops notes and could be sipped all night.

I was a little disappointed with this beer, I was hoping for the coffee and cocoa notes to be more present.

07-26-2008 15:45:36 | More by grs8313
AudioGilz

3.33/5  rDev -20%

Comes in a 650mL pretty plain dark bottle with a very proud man holding a mug. Pours with a small tannish head that reduces to a lace fairly quickly. I really enjoy the opaque darkness and pretty delightful stout mouthfeel. My initial taste impression was burnt, slightly bitter coffee, and a faint chocolate malt taste on the way down. I wasn't too impressed. The bitterness lasted in a long disappointing aftertaste. I know it has it's place, but not a stout I will buy again. I recently had a Storm King Stout that was WAY better than Shakespeare while being higher in ABV.

01-22-2003 15:27:21 | More by AudioGilz
meday

New Hampshire

3.33/5  rDev -20%

Bomber into Imperial Pint

Ebony color with rich browning head.

Immediate roasted aroma. Very close in smell to a smoked beer.

The dark roast dominated the flavor. Hints of chocolate, campfire, cedar, moss.

For a stout with oatmeal to create a creamier texture, it was thin and biting. I have possibly been spoiled by my nitro-homebrew stout I always keep on-tap. But to me, a stout, especially one with oatmeal, should be full and creamy in the mouth, whether nitro or none.

I finished the bottle, but the drinkability was only average.

12-21-2008 03:13:30 | More by meday
sam_bliss

Washington

3.34/5  rDev -19.7%

This nitro-tapped brew fills the pint glass with creamy near-black goodness capped by a milk-like latte-colored head. The head is not bubbly but instead sits atop the deep dark brown stout like the cream ready to be skimmed off fresh milk. The super-smooth foam cap produced lacing that can hardly be called lacing – it is more like a wall of foam that lines the sides of the glass.

The beer smells nutty with loads of dark chocolate, but American hop presence lends a piney and herbal tone to the aroma. It tastes like black and toasty malts, with some lighter floral notes. Caramel peaks out underneath burnt bitterness and black coffee.

The mouthfeel is medium-full. This one goes down smoothly and leaves a hint of hoppy bitterness, which is somewhat unique among oat stouts. The carbonation is...actually nitrogenation? It is creamier and less prickly than the fizziness to which we have all grown accustomed. Nitro-tap is the new thing for me.

I like this beer; it is comparable with Ninkasi's Oatis for a bitter malty oat stout. I did not even know it was made with oatmeal until typing up my napkin-scribbled review. It tastes like a thick stout with harsh dark-roast coffee bitterness. The American hops are incongruous with the rest of the beer. They should be toned down and perhaps replaced to some extent with Noble hops...or more caramel malt!

04-18-2013 07:19:54 | More by sam_bliss
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

3.35/5  rDev -19.5%

It pours black with a medium coffee brown head in a La Maudite snifter. Aroma is deep chocolate and coffee. Very nice roasted barley matches solid floral hops. From the first sip, I find it quite sour, reminding me of a Guinness, but much thicker and hoppier. The finish is astringent and ultra dry (bad), but hops are pleasant and the roastiness is perfectly developped (good). Overall, I must say I expected more from Shakespeare Stout.

12-08-2003 18:48:13 | More by Rastacouere
snogglethorpe

Japan

3.35/5  rDev -19.5%

A very nice dark black color, but disappointingly "thin" looking with not so much head.

Taste is less sweet than I expected, seemed more like a riff on a dry stout. Taste is fairly nice, a little roasted bitterness, some hops, slightly acrid, but again very similar to a dry stout in my opinion. The body/mouthfeel is a little thin -- I was really hoping for something more creamy and full.

Not a bad beer, but didn't really live up to its reputation...

12-06-2010 06:12:44 | More by snogglethorpe
Phelps

Arizona

3.38/5  rDev -18.8%

22-ounce bottle into a shaker pint.

Pours an inky ebony with nary a highlight in sight. The big, two-inch head of cocoa powder-colored toothpaste froth pops away slowly, becoming a craggy mountain range that that leaves speckles of lace.

The nose: coffee, toast, tangy dark chocolate, some vanilla and oats, and of course, the earthy, almost stale Pacman yeast. I don’t understand why Rogue loves these bugs so much. Despite that, it’s a smooth, deep aroma.

The flavor is a bit more subdued, tasting of light roast coffee, dark chocolate, earthy yeast notes, oats and a subtle tang. Acrid burnt bitterness slides smoothly in after the swallow.

Way, way too thin for an oatmeal stout. The body is light and watery, while the moderate massaging carbonation makes the beer break out in soft fizziness.

A masterpiece Shakespeare ain’t; the flavor's decent but the body's lacking.

06-22-2011 23:19:46 | More by Phelps
clickpush

3.38/5  rDev -18.8%

Pour: 22oz bomber to tulip glass. Hard pour produces big 3 finger dark brown head over even darker brown body. Body is opaque, no light getting through even around the edges. Descent is slow and rocky, providing a solid cappuccino like foam. Doesn't leave a whole lot of webbing along the glass, but a nice cap of lace remains.

Nose: Chocolate and caramel, some fruit notes like plums, brown sugar. Quite sweet smelling, marshmallow and milk chocolate. Nice roasted malt character as well, a bit of burnt toast, a bit coffee. Mmm.

Mouth: Roast character is much more pronounced in flavor than in smell with a chewy, burnt toast feel to it all the way through. A touch of heat as it comes back up. The flavor falls a bit flat, though, as there doesn't seem to be a lot more than the roastiness. A roast bitterness lingers, very nice, but where's the balance? Mouthfeel is quite well carbonated but not as smooth as it could be.

05-22-2007 06:57:28 | More by clickpush