Microbrew Invitational

Oregon, United States | website

Style: Oatmeal Stout

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

Added by Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

Reviews: 1,589 | Ratings: 3,363
4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

This is a black stout that pours with a huge toffee colored head. The head retention is phenomenal as well. As the head recedes, it slowly fades into a rocky layer of film atop the beer, and leaves a thick coating of foam on the sides of the glass. A faint glimpse of dark redddish brown highlight is visible around the edge of the beer as you take a sip. The aroma is very nice, with roasted chocolate smells mingled with some hop spiciness. Malt sweetness is also evident in the aroma. The taste is very strong on the hops, and the citrusy notes of the Cascade hops is prominent. Strong roasted bitterness is also prevalent, with some chocolate notes to back it up. A faint hint of sweetness also creeps in on the finish.

At first, the hops seem a little out of character for a stout, but after a few sips, it works well. The mouthfeel is very creamy and smooth, with minimal carbonation evident on the tongue. It is also a very drinkable brew. I drank half a pint in no time, which made me glad it is a 22 ounce bottle. This is one fine beer that I will not hesitate to buy again.

4.64/5  rDev +11.5%

Chocolate, caramel, bread crust, and roasted grains in the aroma along with a touch of flowery hops. The body is black and opaque with a deep mocha head. The flavor is intensely roasty but smooth. Lots of coffee grounds and bitter, spicy/grapefruit-like hops. The finish is bitter and tart. Silky with low carbonation but a good bite.

Consistently flavorful throughout, particularly thanks to the roasted grains and bitter/citrusy hops. Just enough carbonation to be satisfying but little enough not to interfere with the smoothness of the texture. Solid and straightforward.

4.64/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from bomber into nonic pint glass.

Appearance: Jet-black with a large brown, chocolately looking head. The head is thick and stays a while with lots and lots of brownish lace around the glass.

Smell: Smells of roasted caramel malt, and has a hint of the trademark Rogue smell which is reminiscent of tea. The smell is very sweet, rich, and pronounced.

Taste: Starts with a near chocolate sweetness, and finishes with a very pleasant coffee taste- toward the end it tastes a lot like coffee with a bit of sugar. I am guessing the sugar flavor at the end comes from the Rogue "tea" flavor.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth, with an unexpected bite of carbonation.

Drinkability: Very, very good stout. Best stout I've had and highly recommended. I'd get this any chance I can.

4.64/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Thin mocha head but nice retention and ringed lacing. Black in color. It's a frightening looking beer.

S- Chocolate, toffee, some grains I can only assume are oatmeal. It's complex and lovely. This is a perfect smell for me.

T- Smooth and creamy with a bittering aftertaste. The roast malts and graininess of the flavor really come out mid-taste. Quite well done.

M- Medium bodied and very smooth and dry. This is how stouts should feel.

O- I may have found a new favorite beer. All the aspects work in harmony. You devilish Rogue Ales.

4.64/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to a beer class I recently discovered this oatmeal stout style of beer. What a wonderful beer for the colder months ! It's sweet, full bodied and, no it doesn't taste like oatmeal. they just use it in the brewing process... guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

22 oz bomber. No bottling info

Pours an attractive solid black body with a dark tan head (aggressive pour recommended) Good retention. excellent lacing.

Lots of prominent chocolate notes. Did you ever have an Easter basket with milk chocolate eggs as a kid ? Sounds crazy but it reminds me of that sort of chocolate. A little burned coffee bean too. Very enjoyable!

Taste follows the smell with a slightly bitter finish.

Nice medium creamy feel. (I'm new to this style but maybe should be a little more creamy ? )

Overall; very nice !!

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

I am really starting to love Rogue. This beer poured a nice dark brownish black with a great head of brown bubbles. The taste, oh the taste! Great roasted coffee, with hints of chocalate and other delectibles. Went down smooth, almost too smooth, as I pounded the bottom of the empty bottle like I was looking for some more ketpcup. A great beer.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from a 22 into a snifter. Pitch black with a deep brown head with some definite red hues. Very pretty, but it doesn't stick around long enough the ogle at. Smells of fruits, berries, molasses and caramel with a light hoppy grass.

Taste is light, sweet and fruity. Tons of estery watermellon, mango and apple ride a backbone of milk chocolate, cherries, and rasberries. Moderately buttery, with a very subtle hop, and hints of lemon rind in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, drinkability is very high. An excellent counterpart to the Chocolate Sout- very impressive.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

What can I say about this beer that has not already been said. For me this is the standard for stouts.
Pours pitch black. It's as black as a night coon hunting with out a moon to guide your way and your batteries in your flashlight have given thier final jolt of energy. 1/4" chocolate milk colored head that recedes to a thin ring. Small ring of lace at the crown.
Smells like a rich roasted hot chocolate.
The interplay between bitterness and sweetness in this beer is amazing. Very rich in flavor with out being over the top in alcohol. Acidic and slightly bitter at the beginning. Sweet mild milk chocolate in the finish and a subtle bitter aftertaste.
This is one smooth beer. Full yet very smooth in the mouthfeel.
The low abv and the incredible smoothness makes this a very drinkable beer. This is one that I do not want to stop drinking.
Overall I recommend it to the point that you are doing you tastebuds a disservice if you do not allow them the oppertunity to taste this.
I went to the Weinhouse in Asheville to look around. The kind salesman asked me what kind of beers I liked and I told him that I liked dark beers. He recommend Shakespeare Stout to me. After drinking it I liked it so much I decided to learn more about it on the internet. Some how I followed links to this website and the rest is history.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

On-tap at Tryst in Delray for $4 a pint ($2 at happy hour!!!)

A: Pours a viscous looking pitch black color with a small khaki colored head. Retention was pretty good...good enough

S: Extremely mellow nose; milk chocolate, bittersweet chocolate, lactose, some slight floral hops, caramel, brown sugar, and light espresso/coffee

T: Oh soooo smooth...amazing on-tap! So mellow yet so complex. Lots of chocolate, lactose, toasted malts, floral hops, and coffee. Much lighter than it looks.

MF/D: Viscous, velvety goodness...perfect feel to it, and definitely not prickly. Drinkability at its finest..amazingly mellow and light, but at the same time, flavorful. At $4 a pint, this may be my new go-to

Notes: I was completely blown away by this on-tap...my brother swears by it, so I finally gave it a try expecting strong bitterness and charred aspects, but it was the opposite

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

I've had this so many times, but never reviewed it... don't know what made me decide to finally do so - maybe it was the mild night air that inspired me when I had this on draft at the Rogue Public House in SF.
This remains one of the hoppiest non-imperial stouts around, which gives this a flavor unlike any other. Delicious chocolate and nut tones are present up front, followed by a bracing hop bitterness that extinguishes the sweetness... but no to be outdone, the nutty, burnt, grain husk flavor re-emerges in the finish, beckoning you to take another sip.
An absolute classic.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured into a standard pint from a 22oz bomber ...

A - Jet black with redddish hues in the light. Rocky, super-thick head of coffee-froth coloring. The head is extremely persistent.

S - Roasted barley and caramel. Coffee-like aroma with some hint of hops in the nose. Comples and inviting.

T - Rich and creamy malt taste with some noticable hop backbone. Excellent. Some espresso flavors come in late into the taste.

M - Smooth, thick and complex. Good malt/hop balance.

D - Excellently balanced and superb taste and aroma make this one of my very favorite stouts. The Rogue folks are no joke ... this and the mocha porter are among the very best in their class. If you haven't had this, you need to ...NOW!

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The beer poured an opaque black, with a 1 inch dark mocha head, that left decent lacing on the glass. The aroma is of chocolate and roasted malts. The taste is much like the aroma, roasted malts and light chocolate, being the most detectable. This is one of thee best stouts available IMO. The mouthfeel is thick, like a stout should be. A very drinkable beer!! This is what I picture a stout should taste like. Thankyou Rogue for making this brew available year round.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

“Blessings of Thy Heart, for Thou Brewest Good Ale”, Shakespeare.
It’s obvious to me that Shakespeare was writing about Rogue Ales all those years ago.

This is a very dark beer. An ebonyious, deep dark brown (it is not quite black on close scrutiny). A thick pouring, viscous fluid, from a 650ml “Bomber” Bottle – which so reminded me of Heavy Oil. The head has a tremendous capacity for voluminous expansion when first poured, and resembled a brown cylinder of Styrofoam, which then slowly subsided, and settled down to ¼” velvety smooth dark brown coaster type head. Not much lace at all, good because that would be a waste. Nose is dominated by Cocoa, with some lightly roasted malts and a feint, almost dark chocolaty, sweetness. Huge mouthfeel which does not disappoint at all, and adds great character to this Stout. This is no "wannabe" Stout; it is definitely up with the Big Boys. It is what I would refer to in England as an Extra Stout. Initial tastes are again cocoa, some coffee, heavier roasted malts and molasses. Dark fruits are hidden here – they appear as the beer warms. There is some lemon character as well in the middle – where do I get this? (Hops!??), I really don’t know! – but I do get it, so it’s reported. Finish is dry with more bitterness offsetting the earlier chocolate sweetness. A great lingering impudent finish. You know from the beginning that this beer is a Stout, it is resolute ‘start-to-finish’, and it does not disappoint at all. Fantastic!

Shakespeare also wrote;

"Never shame to hear what you have nobly done"
Coriolanus, Act ii, Sc.2

NICE ONE ROGUE!!!!

A: Pitch Black, Great head w/ many large bubbles. Head didn't last long

S: Nutty, Chocolaty, Good esters

T: Bitter Chocolate, Spicy, Warming flavor

M: Heavy and lingering.

D: Great flavor but no more than one 22oz at a time, too heavy.

A great beer for my first review. Opened this up to celebrate the birth of my daughter. I quit all alcohol while the wife was preg and this was my treat afterwards. Perfect choice.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

I finally found this (minnesota), and I'm pretty psyched to try it out...22 oz bottle.

-One of the best looking beers I have ever seen: absolutely black in color, opaque in clarity, with a very large brown/tan head that fades slowly and unevenly to about 1/3 of an inch and then stays there, leaving loads of lacing all the way down.

-Smell is strong cascade hops, dirt and chocolate...what a combo.

-Taste: wow...this is about the 5th or 6th stout I've tasted now, but it is miles apart from any of the others in taste. I expect the chocolate and roasty malt flavors, but this is the hoppiest, earthiest stout I have had. It's like a stout version of SN Celebration, though flavor-wise not quite as complex. I didn't know this flavor combination was possible in a stout, and I am very glad it is.

-Mouthfeel is medium-thin for a stout - quite sharp and dry (as opposed the buttery soft texture of some stouts) which emphasizes the hop bitterness. This works well.

One of the most outstanding beers I have ever had. I wish I could find this in 6 packs.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Although I've had this many times before, I've never bothered to review it. Pours into my Achel chalice a pitch black brew topped by a healthy dollup of milk chocolate colored head. Head retention is decent and it laces nicely as it settles.

Inticing aromas of darkly toasted malts, mocha latte', chocolate, and pinecone hops. I'm also picking up dried fruit, dates, licorice and soft florals.

Big, chewy flavors of scorched coffee, bittersweet chocolate, pumpernickle bread, molasses, figs, and creamy caramel malts tickle my taste buds. Hoppy for a stout, but expertly balanced and absolutely quaffable.

Mouthfeel is medium to big and chewy. Carbonation could be a little less aggressive, but 10 minutes in the glass and it's perfect. Quite silky and velvety. Creamy malts and pine drenched hops fight it out for the finish. As always, one of Rogue's best and it's even better on draft.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

This is a great stout. It has an incredibly smooth feel with lots of sudsy, soapy carbonation. There isn't any wateriness in the feel. The bitter hop bite in the finish is just right, not too big, not too small. The malt flavor is creamy, toasty chocolate with an excellent balance of sweet, sour and dough. There is a rather small amount of coffee and other subtle aspects to the flavor. It's a great stout in a category crowded by only good to average examples.

From a 22oz bomber.

Pours black with hints of dark ruby around the edges with a thin brown head. Smell is smoky burnt malt but also lightly sweet and creamy.

Taste is chocolatey, a bitter dark chocolate. Lightly nutty or oaty undertones. Big flavors here but still very smooth. A strong bitter coffee finish. Nice! Mouthfeel is full-bodied with a strong smoky and bitter aftertaste. Some hop flavors evident in the aftertaste as well. Incredibly smooth and drinkable for a big flavor stout like this one.

A beer that definitely lives up to the hype.

4.66/5  rDev +12%

worth every penny of the 6.75(taxInc) I spent on the bomber...

Sure, it's expensive but this is one of the best, if not THE best, accessible stout on the market.

Pours near black with only dark brown highlights at the very edges if held in front of a bright light. tilt the glass sideways a bit to see the oily characteristic gained from the fine rolled oats.
The robust chocolate malt isn't overdry or chalky, as a matter of fact, this beer is smooth and silky. It's chewy but it's very drinkable. Nothing is overpowering but the prominant flavors are chocolate and a slightly winey and hop infused coffee.

This is exceptional quality.
my #2 dark accessible beer behind glbc edmund fitz porter.
price is hefty but after first taste it's literally easy to swallow.
Just take 100 bucks and bye about 15 bombers for the next couple of months as this isn't a serious session beer anyway.. it's too dam^ flavorful and chewy to session.

4.66/5  rDev +12%

Still The King of Stouts. I got slightly less aroma from this draft example , and maybe a bit more mouth feel and body compared to the bottle, but hardly a difference beyond that. Black as night, massive brown head, aromas of roasted grains, coffee, charred wood and flowery hops. Full bodied and hoppy, lush and smooth mouth feel with rich textures of oats and caramelized brown sugar, more fresh hop flavors and substantial bitterness balance this exceptional stout. Intense hoppy/ bitter aftertaste. All the flavor and body of an Imperial stout w/ out the alcohol presence.
Another true work of art from the good people at Rogue.

4.66/5  rDev +12%

Poured a deep black, with a think, creamy head. A little thin in the mouthfeel, but is still smooth and unbelievably tasty. The alcohol is masked very well and the coffee and chocolate notes are subtle. The stout is very well balanced. This is one of the best stouts I have ever had and was totally blown away by it.

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

Have had it in the bottle before, and remember loving it. So, I saw it on the hand pump at The Sharp Edge Creekhouse and I couldn't pass it up. This beer is huge, the appearance is a deep ruby black body with a nice pillowing tannish brown head. The first sniff, I was shocked at the amount of cascade hop aroma that hit me in the face. The deep chocolate and coffee tones make this beer's aroma irrisistable. As I took my first couple sips, I just sat and thought to myself that this must be one of the most drinkable in your face stouts I have come across at this point. It is wonderful, pushes the envelop and with the harsher flavor of the dark malts on the tongue, the clashing of the hops are there to mellow everything out and form this amazing brew. On the cask this beer is very smooth, and inviting to the palate. Each sip takes on a creamier sensation to the mouth. Believe it or not this is the type of stout that could be enjoyed in pairs or more, because once you have one you want your glass to be full again.

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

Jet black stout color, with a tan head. This is a much different stout than I am used too. Much more bitter, and less sweet than I have had before. I like it a lot better than most stouts. I think this may equal or even surpass Storm King, since I have gotten a craving/addiction to hops.

Update 4/2/04: Had it again, still think it is amazing. I had this at a colder temperature, and it still is bursting with hops, chocolate, coffee, and maybe a little raisin flavor.

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance - Black color, with a light brown, rocky head. Head retention is okay, but not great.

Smell - I tend to think about expresso when I smell this beer. The roasty smell matches up with the flavor.

Taste - The label says it all: "an earthy flavor that comes from oats, and a mellow chocolate aftertaste." Delicious, although "earthy" is not the first thought than came to mind. "Roasty" and "coffee-like" are how I would describe it. It is also well-balanced; the malty roastiness is not cloying, and the hops are able to express themselves a little bit. The aftertaste is strong, again reminiscent of a fine coffee.

Mouthfeel - Nice and thick, the way stout ought to be. Everything about the mouthfeel is stout.

Drinkability - Highly drinkable. This stuff goes down oh so easily, and I keep wanting more.

Comments - If you have friends that don't like "dark beers," get them to try this one. The flavor is complex, but not something that should scare off new craft beer drinkers. On second thought, "earthy" desribes this beer very well.

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

The pour gives a good head of small, creamy, tan bubbles that leave a lot of lacing. The color is deep, opaque black.

The smell is a nice mix of fruit sweetness, chocolate, and smooth roasted coffee. The feel is very smooth and creamy with light carbonation. The flavor matches the smell very well with sweetness leading a roasted-malt body with a light hop finish. The aftertaste is slightly dry with burnt toast (but not unpleasant) and bitterness.

For a very flavorful stout, the drinkability is surprisingly good. There is no feeling of heaviness or over-alcoholic aftertaste. Given the extra sweetness, this would make an excellent dessert beer.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales