Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Shakespeare Oatmeal StoutShakespeare Oatmeal Stout

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,568 | Hads: 3,241
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow! This is amazing. Black body with tan head. Rich dark chocolate and coffee aroma with taste to follow. Complex and rich in perfect balance. There's all sorts of stuff going on here. Molasses, toffee, pumpernickel, the works. This is the best stout I've had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark brown color with a creamy head that made for great lacing. The aroma was very malty and chocolatey with some coffee notes. The taste was similar to the smell. First taste was malt and chocolate then almost a bitter coffee. The mouthfeel was not heavy but smooth and creamy and it had the perfect carbonation.

Overall it probably is my favorite stout! I'm looking forward to another one!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's very nice to see Rogue finally getting decent distribution in my local area. I was very pleasantly surprised to see 3 Rogue offerings on tap @ a very good mostly vegetarian restaurant(Sunspot) that I try to frequent in Knoxville. I can sum this beer up in 3 words: My new favorite, it is outstanding in every regard. It pours a dark opaque black with a dark tan head, and very resilient lacing. The nose is excellent with molasses, coffee and caramel the dominant aromas. The taste surpassed the smell which I tought would be tough to do. The mouthfeel was robust and viscous, which allowed the unbelievable taste to linger. Excellent drinkability for such a hearty beer. All things considered, this stuff rocks.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a thick, black beer with a dense, creamy, tan head. Great roasted grain and hop aroma. Drinking sensation is full and heavy, and the taste is intriguingly bitter. Coffee, caramel, and roasted/burnt grains. The bitter finish is simply outstanding. I keep thinking that this is what other stouts aspire to be when they grow up.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ahh shakesphere Stout, how I've missed thee.

For the first time in over three years, this nectar of the gods is available in my home town. They say that time changes things, that what you look back on fondly, won't always have that same magic after an extended period away. I can say with zero trepidation, that's not the case here. Yes this is every bit as great, as I remember it being.

Let's start with the look of the beer. Lovely to say the very least. Nearly jet black with a beautiful creamy head. This is the type of beer, that would scare lesser beer drinkers by the look alone and that's a definite shame... oh well more for me!

The smell: divine. A perfect cross between chocolate malts and citrusy cascade hops. A Stout-IPA hybrid of sorts from a scent perspective, It's almost like smelling two different beers, and I mean that in a good way.

The taste: again simply awesome.

Acidic... citrusy.... chocolate in the finish. This is truly one complex stout and makes the likes of Guinness pale in comparison (and this is coming from someone who still enjoys a Guinness from time to time)

This is a classic in every sense of the word and worthy of any and all accolades it recieves. If this isn't the world's best stout, it's no doubt in the top five.

Heavenly and boy am I ever glad to again have access to it!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had the Dead Guy. I've had the Mocha Porter. I've had Hazlenut to YSB to Yellow Snow to Irish Ale to St. Rogue Red to Choco Stout. I've even had the fabled I Squared PA (wonderful by the way). But I've never had Shakespeare Stout. The BEST Rogue apparently. The BEST BEER IN THE WORLD as I've seen crowned in some questionable literature. The hype is almost overpowering. So, on to MY review.
22 ounce bomber. Pop top pours a black brown beer, no carbonation, with deep tan head. Reminds me of the King (Storm, that is). Smell is sweet and bitter, like an imperial. But this is just a meager stout. Well maybe not. Taste is very smooth, with just the right touch of bitter hop and roasty malt to make you say hmmm. If I had had this before SK, I'd say SK is a heavy Shakespeare. Since I've already had the King, I'd say this is a lighter guy, but fit to serve as his second in command. Good choco feel at the end. Interesting to note the oatmeal prescence in the malt (props to Rogue for listing all their ingredients--gentlemen among brewers). The oatmeal seems to have just turned to alcohol, and left little of its trace in the residual taste. I really love this beer, I guess my cynicism comes from the fact that Rogue is in Oregon, I am in PA, Victory is 1 hour from me, and Storm King is similar, and just a bit better. Rogue's Imperial should embolize this. I'm sold. I love it. But, at $6 a bomber, with $1.75 SK's in the cooler, I can't really bring myself to say I prefer this. Great beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I guess it is sad that with my love of stouts and porters I have never tried the Rogue Shakespeare Stout before, I guess I should be a little ashamed of that because I usually see it at Olivers whenever I stop in. Well it was on tap last evening so I thought I would give it a try. Well I was not disappointed at all; actually I think it opened my eyes to what a superb beer this is. I was floating; my wife could tell by the way the beer went down, extremely tasty. The brew was poured to a black color; not sure any light would make it through but did not really look that deeply. Had a very nice dark brown head that had great retention and left nice lace rings down the side of the glass. The aroma is very inviting with a nice mixture of scents. I am picking up chocolate, coffee, roasted to burnt malt, brown sugar sweetness, and a pronounced (by pronounced, I mean stronger than the normal Stout but in no ways does it dominate) hop smell for a stout. The taste is simply incredible, extremely smooth through out, chocolate flavors up front that break to a coffee like taste that mixes nicely with the hops in the back end top give it the perfect amount of bitterness. This was the highlight of the evening, simple a great beer and one that I will have on a steady rotation at the house here, man I can not believe what I have been missing!

4.7/5  rDev +13%

Divine intervention in a bottle. Absolutely incredible beer.

Black with a frothy brown head.

The smell was of warm roasted aromas, ranging from coffee to dark chocolate. But you can tell immediately that the flavors were roasted to perfection.

The aromas carry over to the taste, with more roasted chocolates and coffee. Some hot cocoa and sweet caramel stop by to say hello, and just when you think you've nailed it all down, BAM, some citrus flavors splash in. It's not over the top, either.

On a scale of smooth to not smooth, this would be a 10... or a zero. I'm not really sure, but it's damn smooth.

Good, Good, Good.

Shakespeare Stout is by far my favorite Stout out there, and it deserves a ton of praise.

My most recent bottle was poured into an imperial pint glass, with a 2 finger head. Said head was creamy, and released a pleasant coffee aroma, with hints of chocolate. Floral and grassy notes also add to the smell, which makes the beer very nice, even before taste.

Tastes great. Bitter yet creamy, hoppy and delicious, this is a great beer. Excellent mouthfeel too, slightly thick, but still quite drinkable.

This is an all around excellent Stout, and honestly, this is what other beers in the genre should be striving for. Cheers!

4.7/5  rDev +13%

A true heavyweight...the creaminess of this is really something...thick, rich and creamy...nose is of darkened grains..chocolate and even some raw leather....midnight black with a scarlet black mixed lace...For a sweet stout this has some serious hopping...a real dry finish....up front is the darkened malt...dark chocoloate...some espresso notes...like I said a real dry finish.....kind of a mix between a sweet stout and a dry stout....It has the craminess and complexity of a sweet stout but the finish of a dry stout...whatever the case this a great stout...not for the light hearted...

4.7/5  rDev +13%

I've just returned from a local restaurant/beer bar where I had the Shakespeare Stout (ok, well two of them) along with dinner. Very tasty (with a very agreeable finish) though a bit thinner than I would have expected. This is a minor quibble though as this is one of the best stouts I've ever had. Highly recommended, esp in the big bottles.

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

This is only the second Rogue beer, after Old Crustacean, that Ive tried. I can't believe they had it at the Liquor Control Board of Ontario - LCBO (which carries no American Craft beers other than Anchor).
The Bottle design is very cool with lots of Shamrocks and a drunken Irishman and lots of information about the beer.
The beer pours an opaque black with a very thick consitency. The head is very dark tan, like two shades darker than Guinness. The aroma is mostly of citrusy cascade hops, with a bit of roasted grains and dark chocolate. The taste of this beer is spectacular. It kind of reminds me of a cross between a dry stout and Anchor Liberty ale, very hoppy, yet still retaining stout characteristics. Perfectly balanced. The mouthfeel is thick and oily but not excessively so. This is truly a remarkable beer, I want to try all the Rogue brews. Stupid discriminatory LCBO.

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured a bomber into a pint glass. This beer is pitch black, and pours with a large milk chocolate colored head. Decent lacing on the glass. The smell is fantastic. It's nice and strong as well with dark chocolate and coffee. It has a smokey aroma too with a small amount of floral hops. The taste has more coffeeness to it than the smell, but it is not overbearing. The bitterness comes through a second after each sip, but its only strong enough to notice it. Quite a drinkable beer at it's low alcohol content, and I'm a bit sad that I didn't pick up another bomber. One of my favorite beers, and probably the best stout I've had.

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

22 oz. bomber with the ingredients listed on the side; 69 IBUs. It sits in my chalice deep black with a half-inch of orangey/brown head that halves in depth, yet retains, and leaves light lacing. The bouquet is exquisite, lightly sweet, with roasted, chocolate, and espresso malts, pine, cake/cookies, brownies, black/blueberry, green apple, strawberry?, pear?, vanilla?, and some green hops to bring it all together. It tastes of roasted/bitter/charred malts, chocolate, tobacco, leather, earth, charcoal/ashtray, green/piney hops, and a touch of oats. The body is medium, drying, with medium carbonation and a long, lingering finish. Just a touch too thin for me, but overall a wondrous stout that is highly recommended and well worth revisiting.

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

Opaque, very dark brown color, with a tan head that quickly diminished and it left no lacing. Aroma of roasted malts, and light oats. Had a very creamy, roasted/coffee flavor. I heard from a friend that this was an oatmeal stout, I wasn't able to tell?

4.73/5  rDev +13.7%

Appearance – Well…surprise, it’s black. The head is a nice milk chocolate color and is almost a touch frothy. Lacing on the glass is quite good.

Smell – Very nice and strong roasted malt smell to this one. I also sense bits of chocolate malt and coffee. Somewhere in there is can also detect some hops which give out a faint citrus aroma. All in all quite good.

Taste – Absolutely exceptional. Up front is so strong of roasted malts it crazy. The flavor of toasted coffee bean is to follow with equal strength. Chocolate is not as present, but can be detected if looked for. This beer then has a strong hop finish giving a nice soothing bitterness along with burnt wood feeling.

Mouthfeel – Thick and creamy just as it should be. Carbonation is not detectable, but the beer is not flat. Great.

Drinkability – Perfect.

As I got farther into this bottle I fell in love with this stout more and more. It is fantastic. Each sip was better right to the bitter end. Buy this now if you can, you won’t regret it.

4.73/5  rDev +13.7%

What more could you want from an oatmeal stout? It's creamy, delicious, aromatic, and dances perfectly on your tongue. The roasted notes of coffee and chocolate are present but masterfully subdued. Balance is the end result here, and Rogue has achieved it. The color is perfectly dark, the consistency is perfectly stout-like. There are few better examples of this style.

You will not be disappointed by this beer.

4.73/5  rDev +13.7%

Black, nearly opaque, with an impressive dark tan foam topping it. This settles, but stays pretty thick and leaves patchy lace. Dark chocolate aroma with some citrus and fruity hop character mixed in. Great malt/hop balance in the taste. Chocolate in the front and citrus in the finish. A bit of roasted/coffee character in between. Fantastic mouthfeel, probably the smoothest stout I've tried! Great complexity, Close to full-bodied, but you could say it's medium-full bodied. Just a wonderful taste from start to finish. Exceptionally drinkable! I can see this being a regular favorite of mine.

4.73/5  rDev +13.7%

It doesn't get any better than this. Poured dark as night, with a dark and creamy head. Smelled of chocolate and oatmeal and tasted the same. The tastes grew more complex throughout and ended incredibly mellow and smooth.

By far the best stout out there.

4.73/5  rDev +13.7%

MM ok my 200th review , I know it dont mean "jack" but its special to me.
Ok was skulking about my local Albertson today as the wife did the groceries..thought I would take a look at their walk in cooler ( with little hope of finding anything good) and LO and behold there it was one solitary bottle ..at the back 22 oz bomber grabbed it fast.back to wife smiling like a maniac!
OK its the usual high quality screen printed 22 oz bomber we have come to love from Rogue. Says "world stout champion" on the label
Well this beer is a work of art to behold ..completelly black even when held to the light..and a marvelous inch high chocolate coloured head..its dissapated to a lovelly lace..I really didnt want to touch this..maybe I will take a picture next time..hang it on my wall..perfect.
Wonderful aroma of all sorts of luscious dark stuff..chocolate, roasted oats,barley espressoo..it goes on and on
MMMMone wonderful tasting stout..its all of the above with added a creaminess..and a lovelly hop bitterness thats does not overwhelm but compliments ( odd for a stout but Rogue pulls it off).
Very smooth yet its challenging on the tongue.
For a big beer this is an excellent drinkable stout wow wee..I need more sir!

4.73/5  rDev +13.7%

I really like Stouts, but I must say that this may be my favorite.

Beautiful dark, dark black brew with a glorious dark tan fluffy head. Except for the edges, the beer is completely opaque.

Smooth mouth feel. Maybe it could use even more smoothness but that's flyspecking there.

Glorious dark toasty aroma and flavor that is to die for. Coffee, dark chocolate, and lots of toasted malt. If you let the beer linger in your mouth you can pick up a fair bit of unexpected hops (well I say that, Rogue really is known for hops, but it is a bit unusual for a stout). However the hops are not overpowering (as some of the other Rogue offerings) and really fit well with the style.

A superb dry stout. Highly recommended. The best of the Rogue beers I've had to date, and probably the best Stout I've had (but I change my mind on that pretty often).

4.73/5  rDev +13.7%

OLIVIA What's a drunken man like, fool?
CLOWN Like a drowned man, a fool, and a madman: one draught above heat makes him a fool, the second mads him, and a third drowns him. "Twelfth Night" (1.5.127-30)

Ale (similar to but heavier than beer) was the drink of choice in Shakespeare's day. Everyone from the poorest farmer to the Queen herself drank the brew made from malt, and a mini brewery was an essential part of every household. Shakespeare's own father was an official ale taster in Stratford.

Rogue's Stout would have drowned the Bard's father with wonderful taste wrapped in a cloak of darkness topped with a rich chocolate brown head. Aroma does not do justice to a taste toasted bitterness, thick malt, and perfect mouthfeel! Each sip ends in wonderment about the balance. It nearly defies description and certainly will take you away into a general joy that will likely be shared by all at the table that share its pleasures.

“(I) Drink to the general joy of the whole table” Macbeth: Macbeth, III, iv

Served in pint glass.

Pours an oily black, with a rich, sticky beige head. Head retains very well and covers the glass all the way down. Beautiful.

Aroma is complex, featuring hints of cacao, milk chocolate, dark roasted coffee and toffee.

Outrageously smooth, a rich, roasted malt sweetness is balanced perfectly with a mild bitterness. Notes of cacao and dark roasted coffee are the most prominent. Smokey and toffee/butterscotch notes are also present. Semi-dry, smokey, coffee-esque finish. Delicious.

Again, outrageously smooth on the palate. A hearty body and creamy mouthfeel make this one a treat.

Delicious and moderate alcohol content. That, along with my devotion to delicious black coffee, I find it to be extremely drinkable.

4.73/5  rDev +13.7%

Appearance - Dark Brown, light head
Smell - Chocolaty
Taste - Nice Chocolaty after taste
Mouth Feel - Nice full taste, not too heavy
Drinkability - I'll definitely be buying this again
This is a great beer, The way it should be. Buy It. Drink It. Enjoy It. Best I've had yet.

4.73/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a nice dark brown almost black color with a thick, frothy coffe-colored head. Roasted malty aroma with chocolate, oatmel, toffee notes. Dark chocolate roasted maltiness with hints of burnt toast, caramel, nut and toffee. Very quaffable and sweet with slight dry finish.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales