Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,186 | Reviews: 1,583
4.68/5  rDev +13%

An inspirational stout that seems to be bringing out the poet in all of us. I shall dabble a wee bit as well.

Super black color, thick as night,
no light penetrates this glass, as it is poetry to write.
Head is gorgeous, super thickly creamy delight,
big bubbles and luscious lumps, I could swim in it all night.
Colour of light tannish leather, not so light as a feather,
delicate sheets of tight lace did stick together.

Aromas of roasted malts, earthy, tangy hops up front,
some notes of chocolate and coffee and a wee touch of dark-like citrus, nothing to blunt.

Full and delicious, smooth, yummy, dark tones in flavor,
roasted and chocolate malts with a perfect blend of earthy hops in its favor.
Hop twinge in there, and a nice dryness follows,
all very pleasing, this stout, and continue to swallows.

Full body feel, smooth, then tongue tingly,
to a nice sweet tart-like drying and mingly.

To drink or not to drink, that is the question.
Answer, is to drink this stout!
And thank Hamlet's revenge it comes in a 22 oz bomber to tout!

4.68/5  rDev +13%

Drank from a nonic glass from a 22oz bomber. Got a pretty cool looking dude on the front right next to the “World Champion Stout” award seal. Well deserved.

Appearance- Pours a dark, thick, oily black that allows no light in or out. Matter of fact, I’m fairly sure this stuff is sucking the light out of the room. It’s that dark. Poured a really nice thick, creamy head that receded pretty quickly but left a nice collar and spotty lacing.
Smell- Wow… the first thing that jumps out at me is a light fruityness that is unexpected. There isn’t really one dominating feature to the aroma as everything is very subtle. Nice coffee, chocolate malts make the expected appearance, along with a very feint toasty sweetness.
Taste- Dark fruity bitterness up front that gives way to nice coffee tones. Subtle earthy cocoa malts are present that add a nice sweetness. Has a almost dark licorice finish that lingers with a very light nuttyness.
Mouthfeel- Light carbonation that matches the style beautifully. A thinner body than I expected with a very oily/slick feel. No traces of alcohol.
Drinkability- This was one of the best stouts I had the first time I drank it, and it’s still one of the best stouts this time. It’s a very nice, subtle beer that has flavor, but not IRS intensity. Great beer!

4.69/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer has a lot of haters but it was honestly FANTASTIC. I highly recommend it for a delicious and smooth oatmeal stout by the fantastic Rogue brewery.

4.69/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Heavy pour from bottle into a pint glass yields a thick, creamy, brown head. Beer almost black with very little light getting through. Head hangs around for a long time.

Nose is inviting, with strong coffee, chocolate, and caramel, but with a hint of hoppiness sneaking through.

Taste is even better. The malt, chocolate and oats lead the way with the hops finishing on the back of the palate. Excellently balanced with none overpowering the other. The rich, creamy mouth feel really works great with this beer.

Overall, a really great stout that I will definitely be buying more of. Delicious and well-balanced.

4.69/5  rDev +13.3%

"I would give all my fame for a pot of ale and safety" - Shakespeare, King Henry V

A: Very small, but dense creamy dark tan head despite a somewhat aggressive pour. Color is pitch black with browns and ruby hues barely visible at the edges in the light. Lively ring of head retains well and leaves light lacing on my mug.

S: Huge aroma, featuring bittersweet chocolate and burnt and roasted aromas; dark fruits, maybe berries.

T: Starts on a bitter chocolate note with a hint of strong espresso. Rounded out by bitter hops and a touch of tang, maybe citrus. Some oats are discernible as well.

M: Big creamy body has the flavor sticking around on the palate.

D: A bomber is a great portion for this beer. I look forward to trying this again as a dessert beer. I'll definitely recommend this goody!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured black with a med cream head that disappeared quickly to a nice lacing that lasted the whole drink.
Aroma is rich, sweet, chocolate, coffee, and mostly toasted-burnt malts.
Mouthfeel is soft carbonation and creamy smoothness.
Taste is almost magical....very, very balanced. Carmel, chocolate, coffee, sweet malt,light hop bitterness. Very balanced....nothing overpowering.
Aftertaste is a wonderful bitter chocolate an carmel....little tiny espresso.
This is a heavenly way to end the evening.

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

Full bodied stout that starts out with intense roasted malt and barley and finishes with subtle hop bitterness. One of the better stouts I've quaffed.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured black with a huge 4 finger tan head due to an apparently aggressive pour. The foamy head looked very sticky with beautiful peaks and valleys. The aroma was malt with hops and chocolate at the end. The taste was malt initially, fading midway into a nice hop bitterness. This is very unique in the stouts I've tried and adds a wonderful complexity to the brew. As the hops faded, I was left with an impression of burnt roasted coffee. The hops make another appearance in the aftertaste, with a slight hint of bittersweet chocolate. The mouthfeel is thick and chewy with a medium to low level of carbonation. This beer feels the way a stout should in your mouth. Extremely drinkable...I absolutely love this beer.

I love this stout. It is truly a wonderfully complex beer considering it is not a "big" beer in terms of alcohol. I could drink a lot of this. My wife loves this stuff, which says a lot about its appeal. One of the best!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served from a bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours black with a small brown head. Little lacing.

Smell: Roasted malt with caramel and chocolate. Maybe a hint of hops in here some where.

Taste: Predominately roasted malt at first and a coffee taste with hints of chocolate on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Is creamy, to me this is how a stout should feel.

Drinkability: As a stout fan, I could have a few of these with no problems.

I have grown to love the offerings from Rogue, every one of their offerings I have had have been excellent examples of the styles and have been great tasting. This one is among my favorites.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at Flying Saucer.

Came to the table with little head, as with most beers from FS. Held up to 7 pm late afternoon sunlight through the window this beer didn't allow any light through. It left a light amount of whispy thin lace down the glass.
The nose was wonderfully dark chocolate and roasted malt.
I had high expectations for this beer, and it lived up to all that I've read. Bitter dark chocolate flavors cut through first. Roasted malt and a light hop bitterness finish.
I will definitely have many more pints of this. It was very easy to drink. By far the best stout I've had so far.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thick and black, slick oily residue. It's looking good so far.

Toffee, caramel, roasted pistachio's and malt.

A smooth stout that brings on huge malts, dark chocolate, and espresso notes. Great balance between the hop and malt.

Smooth and creamy, easy drinking. This is a great stout and I can definitely see me doing it again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow! This is amazing. Black body with tan head. Rich dark chocolate and coffee aroma with taste to follow. Complex and rich in perfect balance. There's all sorts of stuff going on here. Molasses, toffee, pumpernickel, the works. This is the best stout I've had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark brown color with a creamy head that made for great lacing. The aroma was very malty and chocolatey with some coffee notes. The taste was similar to the smell. First taste was malt and chocolate then almost a bitter coffee. The mouthfeel was not heavy but smooth and creamy and it had the perfect carbonation.

Overall it probably is my favorite stout! I'm looking forward to another one!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's very nice to see Rogue finally getting decent distribution in my local area. I was very pleasantly surprised to see 3 Rogue offerings on tap @ a very good mostly vegetarian restaurant(Sunspot) that I try to frequent in Knoxville. I can sum this beer up in 3 words: My new favorite, it is outstanding in every regard. It pours a dark opaque black with a dark tan head, and very resilient lacing. The nose is excellent with molasses, coffee and caramel the dominant aromas. The taste surpassed the smell which I tought would be tough to do. The mouthfeel was robust and viscous, which allowed the unbelievable taste to linger. Excellent drinkability for such a hearty beer. All things considered, this stuff rocks.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a thick, black beer with a dense, creamy, tan head. Great roasted grain and hop aroma. Drinking sensation is full and heavy, and the taste is intriguingly bitter. Coffee, caramel, and roasted/burnt grains. The bitter finish is simply outstanding. I keep thinking that this is what other stouts aspire to be when they grow up.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ahh shakesphere Stout, how I've missed thee.

For the first time in over three years, this nectar of the gods is available in my home town. They say that time changes things, that what you look back on fondly, won't always have that same magic after an extended period away. I can say with zero trepidation, that's not the case here. Yes this is every bit as great, as I remember it being.

Let's start with the look of the beer. Lovely to say the very least. Nearly jet black with a beautiful creamy head. This is the type of beer, that would scare lesser beer drinkers by the look alone and that's a definite shame... oh well more for me!

The smell: divine. A perfect cross between chocolate malts and citrusy cascade hops. A Stout-IPA hybrid of sorts from a scent perspective, It's almost like smelling two different beers, and I mean that in a good way.

The taste: again simply awesome.

Acidic... citrusy.... chocolate in the finish. This is truly one complex stout and makes the likes of Guinness pale in comparison (and this is coming from someone who still enjoys a Guinness from time to time)

This is a classic in every sense of the word and worthy of any and all accolades it recieves. If this isn't the world's best stout, it's no doubt in the top five.

Heavenly and boy am I ever glad to again have access to it!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had the Dead Guy. I've had the Mocha Porter. I've had Hazlenut to YSB to Yellow Snow to Irish Ale to St. Rogue Red to Choco Stout. I've even had the fabled I Squared PA (wonderful by the way). But I've never had Shakespeare Stout. The BEST Rogue apparently. The BEST BEER IN THE WORLD as I've seen crowned in some questionable literature. The hype is almost overpowering. So, on to MY review.
22 ounce bomber. Pop top pours a black brown beer, no carbonation, with deep tan head. Reminds me of the King (Storm, that is). Smell is sweet and bitter, like an imperial. But this is just a meager stout. Well maybe not. Taste is very smooth, with just the right touch of bitter hop and roasty malt to make you say hmmm. If I had had this before SK, I'd say SK is a heavy Shakespeare. Since I've already had the King, I'd say this is a lighter guy, but fit to serve as his second in command. Good choco feel at the end. Interesting to note the oatmeal prescence in the malt (props to Rogue for listing all their ingredients--gentlemen among brewers). The oatmeal seems to have just turned to alcohol, and left little of its trace in the residual taste. I really love this beer, I guess my cynicism comes from the fact that Rogue is in Oregon, I am in PA, Victory is 1 hour from me, and Storm King is similar, and just a bit better. Rogue's Imperial should embolize this. I'm sold. I love it. But, at $6 a bomber, with $1.75 SK's in the cooler, I can't really bring myself to say I prefer this. Great beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I guess it is sad that with my love of stouts and porters I have never tried the Rogue Shakespeare Stout before, I guess I should be a little ashamed of that because I usually see it at Olivers whenever I stop in. Well it was on tap last evening so I thought I would give it a try. Well I was not disappointed at all; actually I think it opened my eyes to what a superb beer this is. I was floating; my wife could tell by the way the beer went down, extremely tasty. The brew was poured to a black color; not sure any light would make it through but did not really look that deeply. Had a very nice dark brown head that had great retention and left nice lace rings down the side of the glass. The aroma is very inviting with a nice mixture of scents. I am picking up chocolate, coffee, roasted to burnt malt, brown sugar sweetness, and a pronounced (by pronounced, I mean stronger than the normal Stout but in no ways does it dominate) hop smell for a stout. The taste is simply incredible, extremely smooth through out, chocolate flavors up front that break to a coffee like taste that mixes nicely with the hops in the back end top give it the perfect amount of bitterness. This was the highlight of the evening, simple a great beer and one that I will have on a steady rotation at the house here, man I can not believe what I have been missing!

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

Divine intervention in a bottle. Absolutely incredible beer.

Black with a frothy brown head.

The smell was of warm roasted aromas, ranging from coffee to dark chocolate. But you can tell immediately that the flavors were roasted to perfection.

The aromas carry over to the taste, with more roasted chocolates and coffee. Some hot cocoa and sweet caramel stop by to say hello, and just when you think you've nailed it all down, BAM, some citrus flavors splash in. It's not over the top, either.

On a scale of smooth to not smooth, this would be a 10... or a zero. I'm not really sure, but it's damn smooth.

Good, Good, Good.

Shakespeare Stout is by far my favorite Stout out there, and it deserves a ton of praise.

My most recent bottle was poured into an imperial pint glass, with a 2 finger head. Said head was creamy, and released a pleasant coffee aroma, with hints of chocolate. Floral and grassy notes also add to the smell, which makes the beer very nice, even before taste.

Tastes great. Bitter yet creamy, hoppy and delicious, this is a great beer. Excellent mouthfeel too, slightly thick, but still quite drinkable.

This is an all around excellent Stout, and honestly, this is what other beers in the genre should be striving for. Cheers!

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

A true heavyweight...the creaminess of this is really something...thick, rich and creamy...nose is of darkened grains..chocolate and even some raw leather....midnight black with a scarlet black mixed lace...For a sweet stout this has some serious hopping...a real dry finish....up front is the darkened malt...dark chocoloate...some espresso notes...like I said a real dry finish.....kind of a mix between a sweet stout and a dry stout....It has the craminess and complexity of a sweet stout but the finish of a dry stout...whatever the case this a great stout...not for the light hearted...

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

I've just returned from a local restaurant/beer bar where I had the Shakespeare Stout (ok, well two of them) along with dinner. Very tasty (with a very agreeable finish) though a bit thinner than I would have expected. This is a minor quibble though as this is one of the best stouts I've ever had. Highly recommended, esp in the big bottles.

4.72/5  rDev +14%

This is only the second Rogue beer, after Old Crustacean, that Ive tried. I can't believe they had it at the Liquor Control Board of Ontario - LCBO (which carries no American Craft beers other than Anchor).
The Bottle design is very cool with lots of Shamrocks and a drunken Irishman and lots of information about the beer.
The beer pours an opaque black with a very thick consitency. The head is very dark tan, like two shades darker than Guinness. The aroma is mostly of citrusy cascade hops, with a bit of roasted grains and dark chocolate. The taste of this beer is spectacular. It kind of reminds me of a cross between a dry stout and Anchor Liberty ale, very hoppy, yet still retaining stout characteristics. Perfectly balanced. The mouthfeel is thick and oily but not excessively so. This is truly a remarkable beer, I want to try all the Rogue brews. Stupid discriminatory LCBO.

4.72/5  rDev +14%

Poured a bomber into a pint glass. This beer is pitch black, and pours with a large milk chocolate colored head. Decent lacing on the glass. The smell is fantastic. It's nice and strong as well with dark chocolate and coffee. It has a smokey aroma too with a small amount of floral hops. The taste has more coffeeness to it than the smell, but it is not overbearing. The bitterness comes through a second after each sip, but its only strong enough to notice it. Quite a drinkable beer at it's low alcohol content, and I'm a bit sad that I didn't pick up another bomber. One of my favorite beers, and probably the best stout I've had.

4.72/5  rDev +14%

22 oz. bomber with the ingredients listed on the side; 69 IBUs. It sits in my chalice deep black with a half-inch of orangey/brown head that halves in depth, yet retains, and leaves light lacing. The bouquet is exquisite, lightly sweet, with roasted, chocolate, and espresso malts, pine, cake/cookies, brownies, black/blueberry, green apple, strawberry?, pear?, vanilla?, and some green hops to bring it all together. It tastes of roasted/bitter/charred malts, chocolate, tobacco, leather, earth, charcoal/ashtray, green/piney hops, and a touch of oats. The body is medium, drying, with medium carbonation and a long, lingering finish. Just a touch too thin for me, but overall a wondrous stout that is highly recommended and well worth revisiting.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales