Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,574 | Hads: 3,268
4.77/5  rDev +14.7%

22 oz. bomber served at cellarish temps in a pint glass.

Appearance: Black as ebon, surmounted by a light brown head of thick, rocky, and dense bubbles. A thick film of bubbles stuck around as I joyously drank the bottle.

Smell: Prunes, vanilla, fertile humus, faint whiffs of hops and oats. Dense and complex, far better than some imperial stouts that I've had.

Taste: Intense roasted malt flavors, like a nice cup of bitter dark espresso. Pruny dark chocolate malts underlying all this. Piney cascades on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Talk about yer "vim and vigor." The real reason those words had to be crossed off DFH's WWS was the BATF having one of these puppies. Big and hearty mouthfeel.

Drinkability: One burly-ass stout. A roid-ragin', VW-van bench-pressin' drink. I likey.

Other: I remember the first time I had Shakespeare Stout was in 1996 or thereabouts. I was in NYC on a choir tour and went with a lady friend who loved beer to a nice restaurant where we shared a bottle of this with our meal. We both took a whiff and were amazed. My first words were, "Smells like dirt, and I mean the fertile black stuff we get out in Iowa." This was meant as a complement, and is something I'll stand by.

4.77/5  rDev +14.7%

A solid stout with a near black appearance and a chocolate smell sure to please any chocoholic. It doesn't stop there: the taste of chocolate is prevelent in the taste (though not as strong as the beer's brother: Rogue chocolate stout) . There is a light coffee and slightly more noticeable caramel overtone. A rich, thick mouthfeel, it is a beer that you can drink as a session beer.

US Trip Aug-Nov 04

A very deep almost jet black colour with a dark brown/tan head. Good slow carbonation.

This is without a doubt one of the best smelling stouts I've ever come across. Rich chocolate and coffee malt aromas mingle beautifully with some piney hops, that also have some tight floral notes to them as well.

The palate is insainly espresso and burnt/toast flavours, with a strong hoppy kick in the back. Brilliant mouthfeel with a roundness that counters the almost tart dryness of this brew. A top notch stout worth pondering existence over. Drink slowly and enjoy.

This was my last bottle of Rogue on my trip and boy was she a killer, the pick of the lot of the Rogue stable which is saying alot as these guys were one of my favourite overall breweries during my stay (and who knows, if I tried more of their brews they might be outright first)

4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

I feel compelled to write a poem in honor of the great bard and namesake of this beautiful brew. But Alas I am neither the poet, nor the writer that legendary bard was, so I shall keep it simple in my review.

This Rogue casts forth darkness from the bottle that would conceal any Roguish behavior like a moonless, cloud covered night. The only light that shall pass through this dark cavern passes through the caramel colored thick, creamy head that is riddled with craters and caves.

A bouquet of burnt caramel and roasted malt come forth while aromas of coffee, chocolate, and light floral hops steal through and will pass unobserved unless a cautious guard is in place. Remember we are dealing with a Rogue in the truest sense that will try to beguile you at every turn.

With the taste this Rogue turns on a smoothness designed to lull you into a comfort and easiness around this brew. But beware for to much of anything can be dangerous, especially with a rascal like this Stout. Like many of the legendary Bard?s tales, this Stout starts with a semi-sweetness that conceals a bitterness to come. Smooth throughout, with no plot holes or disappointments this Rogue continues with flavors of coffee, chocolate, bitter hops, and a dryness that continues into more hop fashioned bitterness.

This is a truly legendary brew and well deserving of its name. The Great Bard would be proud that his Rogue bears his name.

4.79/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a 16 oz snifter, not sure when ur was bottled. Why Rogue Why! Give us a date please! Pours so dark and a incredible mocha head. The most impressive looking regular stout I have ever seen. Smell is chocolate, toffee, roasted coffee beans, and vanilla. Taste is what you expect from the nose, but this is a complex 6.1% Seriously amazing this stout is only a regular stout, drinks like milk shake. Body is very big for its just above average abv. For me this is the gold standard of oatmeal stouts, wow so special. On tap even better, that is a side note, but almost every beer is better on tap.

4.79/5  rDev +15.1%

Serving type: 22oz. Bomber served in a 16oz shaker.

Appearance: I had to force a head with a second pour. It was probably not worth the effort either, because it yielded a short, quickly dissipating, creamy tan head. It did leave a nice coat of lacing on my glass though.

Smell: My sniffer is happy! Roasted malts, chocolate, and floral hops aroma.

Taste: Wow! extremely smooth. Different from what I had expected. Bittersweet chocolate, roasted malt, and coffee, with some earthy undertones. Harsh hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied, dry bitter finish.

Drinkability/Overall: Surprisingly smooth and well balanced. This is the epitome of American Stouts!

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

Ahhh Shakespeare Stout...I've been waiting awhile to try this one. Pours from the bomber a thick old motor oil black with a beautiful dark tan head. This brew is night. Roasted oats, molasses and cocoa waft up into my nose from the glass. Spicy citrus hop undertones as well...nose candy.

The first sip ignites with roasted, even a bit smoky oat tones rolled up with bitersweet chocolate, roasted coffee, molasses, raisins and just a slight hint of bitter citric hoppiness. Nirvana in a glass...simply stout-tastic.

Mouthfeel is creamy, lush and full. Shakespeare commands you to drink! Drinkability is marvelous as well. Can there be a reason to stop drinking this....I didn't think so. One of the best straight up stouts I've yet to have...props to Rogue. Highly recommended...a brew to be reckoned with.

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours an oily, black with a one finger head that lasts for a bit, no lacing.
Smell is of malt, malt, malt and some ripe, dark fruit with a bit of chocolate.
Taste is incredible sweet, dark, roasted malt, just as it starts to finish there is ripe dark fruits, then quickly followed by bitter, dry, chocolate, exspresso at the very end and stays forever. I Love a good stout!!!
Mouthfeel is full bodied and robust, creamy, nice carbination.
Drinkability is quite nice I could put few of these away sitting by a nice campfire in front of the family cottage with a gentle breeze coming off of the small, clear, spring fed lake under the Northern Michigan fall moon.

I have yet to find a Rogue product I don't like. This, however, is probably the best stout I have ever placed my hands on.

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

Dark chocolate silk with just enough complexity to always be interesting yet not so intense so as to lose drinkability. This is THE session stout. Aroma is chocolate-covered black raspberries. The roastedness is strong but melds seamlessly with the other flavors of caramel and hops. Yes, the hops are there, just like we expect from Rogue, but they are not overly fruity. Their flavor adds earthiness and life to the aroma and a vinous depth to the flavor. Body is medium-thin, but the low carbonation stops it from feeling at all fizzy. Lingering bitterness and roasted acidity tantalize the taste buds for another sip. Oh yeah, this is nice.

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

This is an excellent stout! 22 oz "bomber". Pours out black with a thick, medium brown head. Aroma combines sweet scents of chocolate, caramel, oats and coffee. Mouthfeel is smooth, creamy and full-bodied. Tastes are of chocolate, oatmeal, coffee and roasted malts. There's a smoky bitterness in the finish. This is the first Rogue beer that I've tried and I have to admit that I'm very impressed.

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

This is an exceptionally well-balanced stout -- simply delicious. Shakespeare Stout pours black, like a well-seasoned skillet, with a luscious mocha-brown head. The nose is dark and woodsy, with elements of dark chocolate, rum and, as Riggo has observed, olive (or even olive oil). The flavor profile is, I'll say it again, just exceptionally well-balanced. There are notes of espresso, oats, hops, chocolate and perhaps wild berries, but no single flavor dominates. The mouthfeel is robust, but not heavy, nicely balanced by a surprisingly crisp carbonatation and dry finish. (Even the bottle is great, with a dangerously well-dressed 'rogue' holding up a frothy mug of beer.)

With its subtle flavor, at least for the style, this isn't the biggest stout around and it's not going to assault or overwhelm your tastebuds. But that's just fine by me. In my judgment, this is one of the best beers produced in the U.S.

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

22oz. brown bomber with no freshness date I could find.

Poured opaque black with large rocky dark tan colored froth. Foam clings and stays the whole beer. Hints of red shine through when held to light.

Caramel, brown sugar, and a hint of piney hop resin in the nose.

Dreamy smoothness is noticed right off the bat. Burnt toast, espresso, dark chocolate, caramel. Citric and coniferus hops come out in the finish, along with a slightly acrid mouthfeel.

This is the real deal. Bow down to the mo-fo king o' the stouts!

4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from the bottle(room temp) with a huge head that dimished some but stayed throughout. The colour is the perfect black that you'd expect from a stout.

The smell is of roasted malt but it's by no means a strong aroma.

The taste is of wonderful roasted malt with chocolate notes also well represented and that combination makes for a very drinkeable beer.

This is one hell of a great stout and is one of my favourite brews of *any* style. Find it. Buy it. Enjoy it.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

A: Dark-chocolate-black topped with 4 fingers of fluffy, brown head that recedes to 1 finger of creamy head. Lacing sticks around for a long time.

S: Sweet scent of caramelized sugar and wisps of light smoke. Fresh hoppy aroma. Dance between sweetness and bitter/crisp hops is elegant and enjoyable.

T: Wow! The brewers at Rogue got this one right. Full, inviting creaminess. Sweet malt and barley linger until they are politely washed away by slightly citrusy hops.

M: Mouth fills with creamy, warming goodness. The finish is very clean with only a slightly hoppy aftertaste.

D: Great session stout. Tons of flavor without too much alcohol. Easy and enjoyable to drink and priced fairly.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

What can I say? I think I've found beer Nirvana..

Poured out black as night into my snifter.. Smell was of dark roast espresso with a twinge of hops. Taste was malty, with just a hint of molasses on the tongue, along with that really bitter black chocolate you get with a really high African cocoa bean content. Goes down velvety smooth and leaves nothing but a clean afterfeel on the palate. I will come back to this time after time...

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

I finally found this at the local Wild Oats, stashed inconspicuously behind a couple of Dead Guys. This rather thick, deep black beer produced a large yet transient head similar in color to milk chocolate. Intimidating and enticing.

A rindy bitterness accosts my nose on the first whiff. A closer smell reveals notes of molasses and crisp pear, a warm bready sweetness underlies the aroma throughout.

Hoppy! Such a nice hoppy stout. Certainly a PNW stout with less of a grainy sweetnes than I would expect. What sweetness there is comes first. It is slightly syrupy and refined. It doesn't remind me of anything in particular; kind of a generic malty sweetness. Then a barrage of bitter notes, first slightly creamy, then rindy like kumquats, then green and fresh like arugula. An espresso-like tang persists.

This feels smooth in my mouth, and Rogue (as usual) errs on the side of safety with the carbonation. Refreshing for a stout.

The drinkability is surprisingly high here. Perhaps this is a good session stout for those that eschew Guinness. Altogether though, when I want stout I'll pick up a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal or Rogue Chocolate Stout instead.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

Very dark, pretty much black body with a medium sized brown head. A thing of beauty. I can see why this is called Shakespeare Stout, if indeed, Shakespeare was black and smelled of sweet roasted malts, rum-soaked coffee cake, and hops. Taste is not sweet as the smell might indicate, but loaded with malts and delicious roastiness. Very robust burned, roasty, coffee flavors--amazing. The only other stout that I can compare it to is Kalamazoo stout. Finish is delightfully dry and bitter with lingering chocolatey roastiness. I can tell the alcohol is there, but it goes down so easily. Maybe I will compose a sonnet to this beer, but on the other hand I think I'll just drink, enjoy, savor, and buy some for my family members for Christmas.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

An oatmeal variant of their famous - and highly rated - Shakespeare Stout, which is one of my faves. It pours a beautiful opaque near-midnight black with a thick, fine-bubbled, persistent dark tan head. Strong aroma is richly of fine coffee and quality chocolate, very tempting. Flavor is like a fine mocha, quality roast coffee and good chocolate, not too sweet, hints of molasses. Texture is smooth, tingly and fizzy, leaving a slightly sweet and very pleasing finish. A must for stouties!

4.84/5  rDev +16.3%

Appearance: solid, impenetrably black. Thin head, low carbonation. A very understated looking stout. Not the special effect show of a nitro pour.

Smell: everything you have ever thought about in a stout is in here: chocolate, honey, toffee, roast beef, smoky wood, toasted grains, ripe fruit, coffee & much more. A knock your socks off kind of aroma, sold, rich, powerful & sweet.

Taste/ Mouthfeel: bitter & full flavor, sweet & nutty, oak & burgundy. A host of flavor swirls in your mouth, a powerhouse taste sensation. Yummy beer meal goodness finish.

Drinkability: is so good you will have no problems putting down several of these. Don’t expect to be hungry for some time, but you won’t be worrying about that. A stunningly good beer.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

This is now officialy the best stout that I have ever had. This poured jet black with a medium sized brown head that turned into a nice pillowy froth on top of the beer. The smell was heavenly with the smell of coffee beans and a slight hint of plum. The taste just killed me with its perfect balance of hoppy, chocolate and smokey flavors all rounded out by a great coffee finish. This stout is balanced to perfection and is one of the few that I could pound back all night and enjoy every minute of it.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

I can add little to the consecrating that's been done over this beauty by the reviewers who drank the bottles I wish I now had in front of me.

Rather than the charcoal that Drew noted, I picked up a "cleanness," a difficult to define taste/mouthfeel thing that I've noted most usually in beers from Maine (I know, this one's from the other side of the country) - maybe the water/yeast has something to do with it? "Cleanness" is a quality that allows all of the beers complexities to come through - think about the mouthfeel you get from water from an ice-cold mountain spring. The beer equivalent of a full-range electrostatic speaker.

Whatever. Please, sir, may I have another?

22 oz poured into snifter

A- Opaque, midnight black with a great fluffy brown head. Good retention with some lacing.

S- Earthy hops with burnt coffee, bitter chocolate and roasted malt. Classic.

T- Nicely bitter with roasted malt and bitter chocolate and coffee. Great finish with a nice lingering bitter chocolate.

M- Rich and creamy with great carbonation, not heavy. Fantastic.

D- Highly drinkable due to the great mouthfeel, taste and 6% ABV. I could drink this all day and be very happy.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Appearance - Pours jet black, with light penetrating only the thinnest edges. Head is a light cocoa powder color, 2 fingers thick and excellent retention. Resulting lace is thick and sticky.

Smell - Darkly roasted malts. Chocolate and mocha. Faint notes of oat. I could live off this smell.

Taste - Perfectly roasted malt. Unsweetened chocolate and coffee, with notes of caramel and oat. A faint touch of smoke lurks below. Hops are bitter citrus, like orange pith, and compliment the malt complexities without flaw. Superb balance. Dark but refreshing. Finishes with slightly bitter dark chocolate and light smokiness. So amazing! My perfect oatmeal stout!

Mouthfeel - Full body. Beautiful, silky smooth and creamy.

Overall - This is only like, my favorite beer ever. when I'm drinking a Shakespeare, I don't have a care in the world. Sensual qualities. Sexy smooth.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours blacker than black with a very creamy brown head that leaves a nice lace all the way down the glass. Strong chocolate aromas as well as some dark roasted coffee. There is also some nice piney/grapefruity bitter smell to this brew. Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. Tons of chocolate in thsi brew, especially as it warms. Good coffee characteristics as well and only a small amount of perceived bitterness due to the cascades but not very much actual hop taste/flavor. Smooth and chewy mouthfeel that is definitely contributed to by the oats that are added. This is one awesomely drinkable beer and is one of my all time favorites. It is definitely very deserving of it's spot on the top beers.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

22oz. bomber poured into Duvel Tulip.

A - Deep, deep brown. Frothy good sized mocha colored head, excellent lacing and retention.

S - Sweet malts, coffee - cream - mocha - chocolate. Underlays of hops.

T - Taste upfront has a nice attentive hop bitterness to it. Layers of delicate chocolate, toffee, and roasted notes come through. These don't produce much sweetness, and only attend to the balance of the sweeping waves of hops. Aftertaste is strong roasted bitterness, that lingers for quite a long time. Long enough to take a nap, and still taste it after you awaken. Mouthfeel is creamy and finishes with a coating on the palate. Delicious and suprisingly bitter.

An incredible American Stout, and one that I highly recommend.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales