Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,119 | Reviews: 1,567
4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer was tasted in a Pint Glass from the 22 oz. bottle.

The bottle pours a completely opaque black into the glass with ample head that holds nicely and laces beautifully down the entire glass. The beer has a great sweet smell to it with strong roasted malts. The beer tastes wonderfully of coffee, chocolate, and roasted malts. As it roams your mouth it feels thick and creamy and the carbonation is exceptional. Overall I could drink this beer all day, all night, for the rest of my life.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Thick frothy dark tan head sat for along time atop an ebony black brew which allowed no light to pass through.
Aroma: Oats with chocolate and a pleasent roastiness that balances very well.
Flavor: Creamy at first follows with a beautiful balance of sweet oats blended with carmelly malt flavors. Balanced with an almost imperceptible hop flavor that becomes more apparrent as it finishes. Finishes with a subtle bitterness that is more hoppy than roasted but it does contain both flavors.
Body: Excellent mouthfeel as this beer has the ability to carry through all of the flavors without being thick or carrying the flavors too far.
Drinkability: This is a very excellent stout that i would be happy to order whenever the mood strikes me for a stout.

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%

You can't judge a beer by its bottle, but looking at this beer you can figure it will be tasty. I opened this beer and started to pour it into a glass and found it to have a very nice, very rich dark brown (almost black) color and a VERY nice light brown head. the head was thick and lasted for quite some time and left a heavy lace throughout the drink. As I havent drank many stouts, I was unfamiliar with the aroma but once I tasted the beer I realised what the smell meant and found it to be enjoyable. And as for the taste. this was a fantastic beer. very complex. it had a nice bold flavour without being overpowering. It was a relativly easy beer to drink, but I would imagine one bomber is about all I would want to drink at a time. not cause it gets old, but because it is a slow drink and leaves you full and satasfied. overall, I would recomend picking up a bottle you can get your hands on as it is one of the best stouts I have ever had.

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%

Ah, the Shakespeare Stout. This, my friends, is not only a damn fine stout, it's a damn good beer.

Appearance: Poured out a very black color with a dark tan head with some nice lacing.

Smell: Roasted malts and hops come to mind. Umm..some caramel in there too I smell.

Taste: This is a true stout. Malts and hops are balanced perfectly IMO. Good hints of some coffee and bitter chocolate lay underneath.

Mouthfeel: So creamy and smooth it's amazing. It's not too thin and not too thick, it's right in the middle. Great texture. I wouldn't mind drinking another one of these bombers. Such a great stout. I believe it's one of the most balanced beers out there.

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours as dark as crude oil with a nice with a nice 2 inch khaki head. Good head retention and good lacing.

Smell is faint but can pick up on chocolate, malt and roasted barley. The chocolate malts are the first thing you taste. Roasted barley and a little nutty and buttery. The finish starts sweet and slowly changes to a slightly bitter toffee flavor.

The mouthfeel is full, creamy smooth, and not too carbonated. This is an outstanding stout that's easy to drink.

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%

650ml bottle. Gave it a few minutes to warm a bit before opening.

Appearance: Pours a vicous black, with cascading tan bubbles forming a substantial head thick enough to stand a coin on it. Not even the strongest light penetrates this mysterious brew. An intimidating pour.

Smell: Subtle notes of coffee, chocolate, and dark barley. Just as mysterious. I expected to be bludgeoned by the aroma, and instead it just entices.

Taste: Wow. Just...wow. Dark notes of black coffee, mocha, and smoke. There is bitterness there, but it is tempered by a velvet smoothness. finishes much cleaner than one expects of the style. No cloying bitterness or lingering aftertaste. Lovely.

Mouthfeel: Silky.

Drinkability: Like a fine port or steak, this is not something I'd drink every day. It's just too fine and rich a brew. This is what stout should be. I can't imagine why I waited as long as I did trying it.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours black with a bubbly tan head with good retention. Malty nutty nose with some roastedness. Absolutely perfectly balanced nutty flavour with the roasted the roasted malts with a nice hoppy finish. I'm reviewing this from notes and I can still imagine the taste in my mouth. Lovely stuff. To quote my good friend who was with me that night "I think I might have sex with this beer." Wow. This is damn tasty. Unfortunately, in Ontario it is also damn expensive.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%

A - Poured into a snifter. Black. Tan half inch head that lasted a minute, then down to just lacing the rim.

S - Roasted and burnt malt dominates, but a faint cocoa comes through.

T - Smooth, balanced malt at first, then toast, ends with a combination of burnt malt and bitterness. Complex, but it all goes together well.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation that bites the tongue a little at the end.

D - Super-duper stout. The stout standard bearer. The burnt malt and bitter hops flavors are great and what I look for in a stout. Not a criticism, but the chocolate really does not come out in the taste.. other than balancing out the bittering hops. I personally like this but be advised that this is not a CHOCOLATE beer.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Black with thick tan head. Tight, even bubbles.
S: Coffee and dark chocolate.
T: The first taste is slightly sweet, not cloying, with hints of coffee and dark chocolate. Warm and malty. Ends beautifully with a twist of hoppy bitterness. The hops are more prominent than in most stouts, and have a certain piquant zing---very hard to describe, very complex.
M: Thick and warm, almost chewable. But not syrupy.
D: Highly drinkable; even that 22 oz bottle leaves you wanting more.

Overall: Very complex for a stout. An absolutely epic brew.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a solid opaque black color with a two finger tan head. Nice lacing and decent retention too. Aromas were big and enticing with coffee, chocolate, roasted barley, and caramel dominating. Delicious flavors display everything found in the aroma plus a tasty hop presence as well. Hands down one of the best American Stouts I've had and ridiculously drinkable too. Get this when you see it.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%

When first becoming a BA I swore off this stout because of the intense burnt taste to it. Recently, when my local beer distributor got in a fresh batch, I decided to give it a go. I don't know if my first bottle was bad, or my tastes have simply matured, but wow. oh wow. Thick and rich this beer tingles all my senses. A mild nose, strongly of roasted and caramel malts. first taste has kind of a subdued sweetness, followed by a massive slam of stout goodness. Roasty, and a little chocolaty, this beer slams my senses. In the mouth it feels huge, part from the thick body, and part from the large flavor. As it leaves my mouth the chocolate flavor shines through.

wonderful, simply wonderful.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%

A: excellent caramel colored head, deep dark brown (ebony) appearance, subtle carbonation. The head speaks to me and says "drink me".

S: sweet, roasty, chocolate smells

T: A first deep sip initially makes me aware of its roasty, chocolate taste. Aftertaste displays its true roast flavor as the initial chocolate taste fades away.

Mouthfeel: heavy but yet very smooth. Feels like velvet on my toungue

D: The smoothness of the beer makes it very easy to drink. Don't even dare to chug this beer or drink it fast because this beer is too superior to be mistreated like a busch light during a drinking game at a frat party.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%

From my beer journal. Reviewed on August 24, 2011.

A: Dark, dark brown almost black body. Almost no light comes through. Creamy head with a tannish brown head.

S: Roasted malts and caramel and chocolate comes through. Hint of hops on the finish. I'm getting some coffee as well.

T: Huge flavors of roasted malts and rich chocolate. Complex interplay between these two until the hops hit in a very good way. The finish is perfect and has a light lasting citrusy hop that makes you want an immediate repeat.

M: Very smooth with tongue tingling carbonation and an astringent finish.

O: This beer is absolutely one of my favorites. This beer is incredibly well balanced and very rich.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours ebony with a thick foamy tan head. Some dissipation and a few good lace rings. Very nice.

Great aromas here. I get big whiffs of chocolate, coffee, deep roasted malt.

This is just flat out fantastic. Smooth creamy coffee/expresso flavors, hints of dark chocolate, dry mild bitter roasted malt finish. Great balance and complexity. Nothing overly in your face, but strong expressions of flavors to make you want to come back for more.

Moderate to mild carbonation, and slight mouth coating characteristics. Very pleasant.

This was a very very easy bomber to put away and look for another. It is a real treat and could become a habitual purchase when available. I know it is year round, but I don't see it year round out here. Buy it when you see it.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%

THe beer pours out of the bomber a dark black with a brown head. I know I am in for a serious beer from the initial pouring.
At the first sip I was anything but disappointed, full roasted flavor with a nice hop twinge at the end. The hops are not overpowering or subtle but have that nice balance for this truly excellent beer. It goes down smoothly with some coffee flavors at the end of the tasting. I could easily see this as becoming one of my favorite beers while I am out here in Missouri. I wish I had found the store that had it earlier, it is a fitting yet different replacement for storm king.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%

Got this bottle from the UTOBEER beer stall in the Borough Market, London. No freshness info. is given on the bottle.

A: in a goblet it pours a nearly black hue with a fluffy, thin, dark brownish beer head after force-pouring; leaving quite fine but uneven lace along the way.
S: sweetish dark malts, intense and rich, with a profound chocolatey aroma more like a chocolate porter, also slightly woody and earthy, on the backdrop of delicious, dark fruity and citrusy hops. Overall the nose is refreshingly malty and aromatic, but not as roasty as I'd expect of a stout and slightly too sweet for me.
T: hitting the palate upfront is immense flavour of roasted barley along with a smooth texture of oats--the smokiness and roastiness is reminiscent of French roast coffee beans, with a slightly sweet edge of darkest chocolates, milled multi-grains, some hints of charred woodchips and deeply earthy flavour creeping deep down the palate. The bitterness from roasted barley intensifies but never to the unbearable extent, and it's gradually softened by the soft texture of oats and a smooth sweetness from the dark malts, maintaining a creamy smooth texture on the palate, leaving a slightly dark chocolatey, earthy and herbal bittersweet aftertaste lingering forever~~
M: despite full-bodied and rich-flavoured, the mouthfeel manages to remain quite soft and balanced actually, not like Rogue's own Russian Imperial Stout which is a bit too rough and sharp on the palate when consumed too young. And the flavour is so different from the suggestion of the nose, and fortunately so, leaving behind much sweetness which I don't like.
D: This stout is most different from all the English and Irish stouts I've tried, and more interesting and ''bold", but not as formidable as elegant for that matter. I'm really deeply impressed by this American stout, especially given that I missed the chance to try it on cask when working at the BSF bar in GBBF 05, though I did nick a quarter of a pint of Rogue's Chocolate Stout on cask which is immensely delicious as well. I'm gonna buy more of Rogue's dark ales whenever I see any! Good stuff.

22 oz. (650 ml) bottle

Dense, light brown head.

Good, complex nose - hints of coffee, chocolate, and well-roasted malts.

Truly opaque, ebony body with a few bubbles.

Well-balanced, if a bit dry, with a whole range of notes in the aftertaste. Drinkability limited by its size - but that's not really a negative (quality over quantity, any day).

Overall, an excellent, drinkable stout - perhaps the best I've yet tried (and I've tried quite a few)!

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

One of, if not THE most gorgeous beers I have ever had the pleasure of beholding. Pours ink black (not even anything peeking out around the edges) with a massive, mousse-like brown head.

Smells of mocha with hints of carmel and hops.

Taste hits you with some milk chocolate, smooth sweet oats (earthy as well), with a subtle coffee backdrop. Finish blasts you with a big acidic roastedness (like raw coffee bean...or huge expresso) mixed with the cascades. Very bitter on the finish. Balances out the early sweetness well.

Only qualm: the hops seem to pierce through the body at the finish..makes it seem less full-bodied than it really is. Dare I say, tone the trademark hoppiness down and this would be perfect. Just a minor complaint, still, damn fine. BTW: I like this baby warmed up to mellow the hops and bring out the most in the body.
This is a beer to drink and drink and drink and drink.....

The Bard would be proud of this.
Get thee to the brewery

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours a dark, dark roasted brown, almost black. A bit thin in texture, but still just obsidian black in a mug. No light stands a chance in this bad boy. The dark tan head forms almost two fingers' thick, and fades to a thick, thick ring. Leaves fantastic lacing all the way down.

Smell is thick, mossy, rich. Smells of damp earth, fresh rain, and a bit of roast. Wonderfully full.

The first sip of this is all roasted malts. Just a bittersweet smokey wash all the way down. As the beer warms, the hops managed to raise their heads above the surface, and add a slightly bitter aftertaste, not unlike espresso. Tastes of peat moss, and dark, dark malts. Very earthy and hardy.

Mouthfeel is just huge for a beer this low in ABV (6%). You almost feel you could carve chunks out of this beer and serve it on plates. Just amazing considering how easily it poured. Smooth, silky and soothing on the tip of the tongue, smokey and astringent at the middle, and sweet and syrupy down your throat. This is one fantastic stout.

On a cold day, this beer is fantastically drinkable. This could replace the milk in my fridge, easily.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

Superb stout and the best I've had to date. Of all the beers I try just to try this one keeps me coming back as often as possible. Super deep roasted flavors that hang around long after the last sip. Incredible beer.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.
The beer is deep and dark, don't expect to see any light through this thing. The head is big and frothy, resembling the head of coke float.
The smell and taste are full of bitter chocolate and espresso. Roasted malts are also at the fore front. This is far from a malt-bomb though, there are 69 ibu's in this bad boy and there is plenty of bitterness in the finish.
It is a mouthful, but it is frothy and delicious, I wish I had bought more than one of these.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

pours a very dark thick black. nice brown beige head. awesome.

smells like rich bitter chocolate, subtle coffee, lots of toasty malts. nicely hoppy. nice.

taste awesomely smooth. nice and malty, smokey. bitter chocolate aftertaste. great stout.

mouthfeel is full, thick but very smooth. drinkability is great except for the pricetag.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

This is a beers beer! So bloody good. One of the best stouts I have ever had. poured out blackish dark browm with a one inch dark tan head. Smooth in character and charming with it's mellow taste. This beer goes down real easy with quite conversation. Mmmmmmmmm

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

Wow!!!! A fullbodied stout with significant notes of coffee and roasted flavors. Like I've stated before, Rogue hit the nail on the head when they tackled stouts...definetly in my top 5 of american/english stouts...it's a treat if you can find it. and obviously if you can find it on tap, there is a noticeable different in the flavor, smell, and taste...having had both.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

if only my morning coffee was this good.....pours out black with a vigorous brown head which unfortunately died too quickly. hints of burnt caramel and chocolate malts with a subdued cascade hops aroma....the taste is exceptional with bitter malts and hops balancing out the profile...a burnt coffee finish with the hops lingering on....but the hops aren't overwhelming which of course is desired in a stout...but the hops (of course...it's a rogue) dance on the tounge enough to break up any creamy slickness that is usual for stouts. a "hophead" stout for sure, but balanced enough to appeal traditional stout drinkers. yummy!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales