Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

It doesn't get any better than this. Poured dark as night, with a dark and creamy head. Smelled of chocolate and oatmeal and tasted the same. The tastes grew more complex throughout and ended incredibly mellow and smooth.

By far the best stout out there.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

MM ok my 200th review , I know it dont mean "jack" but its special to me.
Ok was skulking about my local Albertson today as the wife did the groceries..thought I would take a look at their walk in cooler ( with little hope of finding anything good) and LO and behold there it was one solitary bottle ..at the back 22 oz bomber grabbed it fast.back to wife smiling like a maniac!
OK its the usual high quality screen printed 22 oz bomber we have come to love from Rogue. Says "world stout champion" on the label
Well this beer is a work of art to behold ..completelly black even when held to the light..and a marvelous inch high chocolate coloured head..its dissapated to a lovelly lace..I really didnt want to touch this..maybe I will take a picture next time..hang it on my wall..perfect.
Wonderful aroma of all sorts of luscious dark stuff..chocolate, roasted oats,barley espressoo..it goes on and on
MMMMone wonderful tasting stout..its all of the above with added a creaminess..and a lovelly hop bitterness thats does not overwhelm but compliments ( odd for a stout but Rogue pulls it off).
Very smooth yet its challenging on the tongue.
For a big beer this is an excellent drinkable stout wow wee..I need more sir!

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

I really like Stouts, but I must say that this may be my favorite.

Beautiful dark, dark black brew with a glorious dark tan fluffy head. Except for the edges, the beer is completely opaque.

Smooth mouth feel. Maybe it could use even more smoothness but that's flyspecking there.

Glorious dark toasty aroma and flavor that is to die for. Coffee, dark chocolate, and lots of toasted malt. If you let the beer linger in your mouth you can pick up a fair bit of unexpected hops (well I say that, Rogue really is known for hops, but it is a bit unusual for a stout). However the hops are not overpowering (as some of the other Rogue offerings) and really fit well with the style.

A superb dry stout. Highly recommended. The best of the Rogue beers I've had to date, and probably the best Stout I've had (but I change my mind on that pretty often).

Served in pint glass.

Pours an oily black, with a rich, sticky beige head. Head retains very well and covers the glass all the way down. Beautiful.

Aroma is complex, featuring hints of cacao, milk chocolate, dark roasted coffee and toffee.

Outrageously smooth, a rich, roasted malt sweetness is balanced perfectly with a mild bitterness. Notes of cacao and dark roasted coffee are the most prominent. Smokey and toffee/butterscotch notes are also present. Semi-dry, smokey, coffee-esque finish. Delicious.

Again, outrageously smooth on the palate. A hearty body and creamy mouthfeel make this one a treat.

Delicious and moderate alcohol content. That, along with my devotion to delicious black coffee, I find it to be extremely drinkable.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

22 oz. bomber served at cellarish temps in a pint glass.

Appearance: Black as ebon, surmounted by a light brown head of thick, rocky, and dense bubbles. A thick film of bubbles stuck around as I joyously drank the bottle.

Smell: Prunes, vanilla, fertile humus, faint whiffs of hops and oats. Dense and complex, far better than some imperial stouts that I've had.

Taste: Intense roasted malt flavors, like a nice cup of bitter dark espresso. Pruny dark chocolate malts underlying all this. Piney cascades on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Talk about yer "vim and vigor." The real reason those words had to be crossed off DFH's WWS was the BATF having one of these puppies. Big and hearty mouthfeel.

Drinkability: One burly-ass stout. A roid-ragin', VW-van bench-pressin' drink. I likey.

Other: I remember the first time I had Shakespeare Stout was in 1996 or thereabouts. I was in NYC on a choir tour and went with a lady friend who loved beer to a nice restaurant where we shared a bottle of this with our meal. We both took a whiff and were amazed. My first words were, "Smells like dirt, and I mean the fertile black stuff we get out in Iowa." This was meant as a complement, and is something I'll stand by.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance - Dark Brown, light head
Smell - Chocolaty
Taste - Nice Chocolaty after taste
Mouth Feel - Nice full taste, not too heavy
Drinkability - I'll definitely be buying this again
This is a great beer, The way it should be. Buy It. Drink It. Enjoy It. Best I've had yet.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales