Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

(Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
3.13/5  rDev -24.8%

Appearance: Shakespeare Stout pours out nearly black with a full 3 fingers of mocha colored head. Retention is very good, and lacing is very abundant.

Smell: Roasted malts, charcoal, and burned toast form the base of the smell of this beer. Coffee follows, with some pretty strong hop notes on the back end. Honestly, this beer just smells like burned....something. There's not any sweetness to it. Just a burned smell and some hops.

Taste: There's more of the smell in the taste. Roasted malts and burned toast with some coffee. Some noteworthy hops on the back end. Once again, that burned taste really hangs around on this beer. No sweetness from the oats in the beer or anything to balance it out.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This beer is between medium and full bodied, and fairly smooth drinking overall. This beer has been given pretty solid reviews by many people. I just don't find it that appealing.

zhanson88, Dec 25, 2010
3.13/5  rDev -24.8%

Kind of disappointed with this one. Mostly roasted bitter coffee. A little dark chocolate around the middle. Many better stouts out there. Some bitter astringency on the finish. I'll pass on this next time. I thought this would be much better based on the reviews and the fact that I really enjoy the Chocolate Stout and the Hazelnut Brown.

Trappissed, Aug 30, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -24.8%

Shakespeare stout pours thick and dark with abundant tan head. Mega-lacing won't go away. Smell is moderate to mild; mostly roasted barley, a little dark-chocolate bitterness, and a hint of licorice. Flavor is marked by strongly roasted barley (perhaps too roasted) and a pretty notable bite of hops. Shakespeare runs a little dry and a little chewy, and is quite filling.

There is a lot to admire about this brew, but I think as a matter of personal preference I like my stouts a little smoother and sweeter. I detect perhaps some "over-roasting" has taken place in the barley, nearly a "burnt" taste. A little too much cascade hops for the style might have pushed this out of my taste preference. I really like some Rouge beers, but something feels a little wrong about this one.

KBomb, Apr 22, 2009
3.14/5  rDev -24.5%

Poured to a mason jar

A – black opaque with a 1 finger beige head that lingers and dissipates slowly . Some lacing.

S – Roasted malts, very little coffee , maybe even some fruitiness/raisin,plum.

T- Roasted malts, , faint nuttiness. bitterness that lingers throughout. No pleasantries just left with a bitter aftertaste.

MF – mild dry finish, carbonation is a little much. This is my first Oatmeal Stout. I will be in pursuit of more Oatmeal Stouts to compare it to.

Summary: the price point was right for sure, but if the taste isn't there i wont go back.

**I enjoyed the Roguee Chocolate Stout much more:)

cleve00, Aug 28, 2013
3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. From the fridge, let it warm for approx. 15 min.

A - Dark, dark brown. About a 1/2 inch of sand-colored head. Medium lacing.
S - Slightly toasty.
T - Seemed a bit on the hoppy side for what I'd expect from a stout. Got some of the toastiness too, but the hops were a little overwhelming.
M - Light carbonation, neither thin not thick.
O - Nothing to get either really excited about or complain about. Very average, I might feel better about it if it wasn't so pricey. Would have preferred to taste the malt more.

maltmelon, May 12, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured from a bomber into a Miami Dolphins pint glass...

A - Poures black with a three finger dark tan head. Good head retention, and good amount lacing with this one. Might pour the next pint a little less agressive...

S - Lots of dark roasted and chocolate notes come through. Also get a hint of citrus...

T - Pretty much follows the nose. Dark chocolate and a good bitter taste of coffee followed by citrus hops. Not a big fan of the finishing hops they used in this one. A little to much citrus hoppy taste for the sytle...

M - Medium bodied with a small amount of carbonation. Was hoping for a fuller creamier body. A little watered down for my taste.

D - Remember enjoying this one more than I did this time. Not to impressed. Probably won't be buying again...

Cheers...

comfortablynumb1, Sep 17, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Pours black and completely opaque with a one inch dark brown head on top. Good retention, and a bit of fine lacing.

The aroma is ok. Some chocolate and coffee, with a bit of an earthy, citrusy/piney hop profile in the distant background.

The taste is ok. Some roasted and burnt malt, old coffee, and slightly bitter. A faint hop presence appears every now and again. Not nearly as good as I thought it would be.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied and highly carbonated.

Drinkability is moderate. Flavor is ok, and alcohol is fairly low making for easy drinking. I'm disappointed with this beer though, and the body is too thin. This beer is really average, I'm shocked it rates so high.

Goliath, Oct 01, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -23.6%

Pours black with a really nice tan head. There is nothing wrong with the way this beer looks in a glass. The aroma is pretty dissappointing; Notes of smokey malts gives way to bitter chocolate the more it warms up. The taste is diluted dark chocolate. Dissapointing, watery mouthfeel.

gameface23, Sep 11, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -23.6%

Had this from the handpump into a mug.

3.5 A: Black with a creamy brown cask head. Average retention and no lacing.

3.5 S: Some chocolate, oats, and yeast. Overall, rather dry and unassuming.

3.0 T: Pretty boring. Oats, somewhat chalky dryness, and woody yeast. Light roastiness.

3.5 M: Medium body. Good carbonation for cask. However, it not ridiculously creamy like a lot of beers from cask. Otherwise, okay.

3.0 D: Not bad, but probably the worst cask beer I've ever had. Just not enough flavor going on.

DavoleBomb, Mar 26, 2011

On nitro-tap at Kickbacks

A-Black as night with a inch and a half creamy khaki head that has good retention and leaves some nice lacing. Looks really good.

S-Understated and tame. Some roasted malt and hints of dark chocolate and coffee. Nose needs to be more prominent.

T-Bready malt, hints of chocolate and coffee as the nose suggested, a somewhat sour, astringent back end that isn't very pleasant.

M-Rich and creamy.

D-The sour and astringent back end really hurt the drinkability.

Lerxst, Jan 08, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -23.6%

I begin this review by saying that I am not a Rogue fan nor do I like overowering hops. This beer came from the tap with a good head and a deep dark color. The lace clung to the sides of the glass. The hops attacked my nose and kept whatever malt from coming in. The bitterness on the tongue blasted away the sweet chocolate I thought I could taste in the background. The beer was so hoppy that this business kept the mouthfeel deep in the background. At best, I would rate this as a specialty beer and hope that no one tryig their first stout would tackle this hop monster.

LarryKemp, Apr 30, 2003
3.2/5  rDev -23.1%

After reading several good things written about this beer I thought I would give it a try.
I'm all about dark, coffee/chocolate stouts, so I figured this would be right up my alley.
Upon pouring, I wasn't disappointed. It looked like it should. Dark opaque, almost black, thick, no problems there.
The taste is where it didn't live up in my opinion. For one, I like my stouts to be more smooth, less hoppy. There was a nice hint of chocolate mid way through each drink, which was subtle and very well done.
It's easily drinkable. But a bit of a disappointment for a stout. It tasted more like a hoppy porter. Reminded me of the Great Divide St Bridgettes Porter.
Oh well, nothing lost, it was a $3.99 bomber. To each his own, just not to my liking.

FtownThrowDown, Sep 11, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -23.1%

Bought a 1 pint, 6 fl. oz bottle of this from Bottle King in Livingston for about $5.99, and I must say, coming from a high-caliber company like Rogue's, I really wasn't too impressed with this Stout sample... expected more, and was let down by an overall lack of flavor and complexity... appearance was about average, poured a jet-black, ebony color with minimal tan head... smell was complete with burnt, dark chocolate, espresso, and liquorice aromas... taste was typical stout, with dark-espresso and cocoa flavors that was more bitter than sweet... Taste seemed pretty watered-down and somewhat more bland than I was expecting...definitely had much better stouts before this, and the overall taste was more average than anything else... I wouldn't say this was a bad brew, just wasn't to my liking and not one I would try again... Wouldn't recommend this one...

dsa7783, Jan 13, 2008
3.2/5  rDev -23.1%

This one pours a nice black beer with a nice brown head.
Aroma is pleasant, but in my opinion, uncharacteristic of the style and overly hopped, with minimal maltiness, although some caramels can be noticed here and there.
Taste is mostly bitter, and again in my opinion, a little bit overhopped, with some overpowered maltiness in there.
Mouthfeel is generally good, but I still thought this one a was too hoppy and did not finish the bottle.
I know many will disagree.

brdc, May 22, 2007

22oz bottle into tulip.

A: thick coffee hued head sits atop an opaque black body. decent retention with some pretty, thick lacing.

S: a distinctive lactose. milk chocolate. really creamy milk chocolate. a hint of cappuccino, but this one is all about the milk & chocolate smells.

T: creamy and chewy all at once. a mellow roast. slight acidity from the darker burnt malts. finish is a little sweet but mostly dry. good flavor, but not as oatmeal like as i would have hoped.

M: a bit to vivacious carbonation for my liking. medium body.

D: i remember this being better in my early craft beer days, but i have a few complaints here. just not as smooth and creamy oat flavor on the palate as well as a carbonation that detracts from some of the lighter nuances. not sure what the deal is. certainly a fan of many things rogue, but not loving this.

Jimmys, Oct 28, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -22.4%

Let me start this off by saying I love everything Rogue. Sadly I'm just underwhelmed. I think this bottle may be a bit old, but with what I drank I can't possibly see why everyone rates it so well

Appearance: So black I couldn't see even a hint of light through it when i held it next to a 60W bulb. The head betrayed it... too foamy, too lacey, not thick like you'd expect from such a dark stout.
Smell: burt and woody, a hint of ash, a bit dirt
Taste: Kinda plain. Burnt, a bit ashy. Also it's dark. And burnt. And ashy
Mouthfeel: very thin for a stout. Not entirely unpleasant. I could drink a lot more of this than most stouts, not cuz it's good, but because it has a nice dark flavor without really filling me up at all.
Finish: Clean, plain. Not bad.

Also, I = we....
JB&KW

thatguy314, Oct 18, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

Stout poured out from the bottle extremely black in colour. There was no hint of clarity to it when held up to the light. Smelled of sweet, dark malt notes, which carried over into the taste. Tasted sweet, dark, and malty with notes of chocolate. Bitter chocolate finish. Roasty aftertaste.

Would I buy this beer again? Maybe.

NilocRellim, Jan 17, 2013

mendvicdog, May 25, 2013

alwaysplayin, Oct 21, 2013

ShanePB, Mar 14, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

I'm not impressed with this beer. It seems more like a bock than a stout. The thick, creamy head appeared promising, but fell flat within a minute or so.

Yes, there's subtle hints of chocolate and coffee. Yes, there is a deep dark color and rich head, but the taste is rather dry and bitter. Too light for a stout imo.

I will say that this would be a good session beer for all of the above observations.

bewley, Jan 20, 2004