Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout - Rogue Ales

Shakespeare Oatmeal StoutShakespeare Oatmeal Stout

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Oatmeal Stout |  6.10% ABV

Beer added by: Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

77 AA
135º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,568 | Hads: 3,240
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Part of a blind stout tasting....surprising results

A- Pours an opaque blackness, with a grey foamy head

S- Rich wood malt, chocolate and coffee

T- Smooth smokey dark coffee, touch of pencil lead, with a rich coffee finish.

M- sticky but smooth

D- Very enjoyable to drink

3.45/5  rDev -17.1%

Dark brown, near black. Tan head about 1 finger, decent retention, with minimal lacing.

Smell is mild chocolate, coffee, and oatmeal. Not a ton going on. Needs to be a bit more forward.

taste is of bitter chocolate, some roasted coffee, and some dark fruits. Better than the smell, but still could use something more.

Smooth, but was missing the creamy thick mouthfeel that I expected. Mouthfeel needs to be beefed up. In the end, it ends up to dry.

Drinkability is hurt by the dryness. Not exactly what I would want from the style. It was ok, but was lacking to me. I would have it again, but won't be seeking it out anytime soon.

3.45/5  rDev -17.1%

Pour: 22oz bomber to tulip glass. Hard pour produces big 3 finger dark brown head over even darker brown body. Body is opaque, no light getting through even around the edges. Descent is slow and rocky, providing a solid cappuccino like foam. Doesn't leave a whole lot of webbing along the glass, but a nice cap of lace remains.

Nose: Chocolate and caramel, some fruit notes like plums, brown sugar. Quite sweet smelling, marshmallow and milk chocolate. Nice roasted malt character as well, a bit of burnt toast, a bit coffee. Mmm.

Mouth: Roast character is much more pronounced in flavor than in smell with a chewy, burnt toast feel to it all the way through. A touch of heat as it comes back up. The flavor falls a bit flat, though, as there doesn't seem to be a lot more than the roastiness. A roast bitterness lingers, very nice, but where's the balance? Mouthfeel is quite well carbonated but not as smooth as it could be.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep black, which looks ruby colored in the right light. It creates a very nice creamy mocha colored head with nice retention and a good, even lacing with fine bubbles. Smells of rich chocolate and coffee with a very faint hop aroma. This beer has a sweet malt upfront and gives way to some roasty, bread-like flavors, followed by and almost overpowering coffee bitterness that attacks the taste buds on the side of your tongue and don't let go. This is a nice stout, however the coffee bitterness is a bit of a put off for me. I enjoy most stouts, especially ones that have deep coffee aromas, it is just the bitterness that has proved unsuccessful at converting me to a coffee drinker. The stout is almost too on point with coffee flavors, something that ultimately gave it a flaw for me. Good but too much in my opinion. I have a feeling also that this might be an all around better beer from a nitro tap.
One really positive note, the head retention amazed me down to the last drop. One little swirl and the beer was blanketed with a nice layer of khaki colored foam. If lacking in taste, this beer has some great visual appeal.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass. There is a large bubbly tan head that leaves a moderate amount of sticky lacing on top of a black body.

The aroma is slightly chocolatey with a kick of bready grain to go with it.

The taste is mostly chocolatey with some leather followed by a bitter roasted finish. Pretty standard issue stuff here. The chocolate flavor isn't too strong to make you forget you are drinking a beer.

The body is medium with average carbonation.

A solid offering, very reliable but nothing extraordinary. I've had it before and I'm sure I'll drink it again.

3.46/5  rDev -16.8%

A - Light black, no lacing, light tan 0.5 finger head, and non-transparent.

S - Faint oatmeal, roasted mocha, and fresh cream.

T - Cream, oatmeal dryness in the middle is paired nicley with the hops. A little coffee bitterness at the end.

M/D - Medium-heavy body with a bitter finish. Velvety texture. Nicely carbonated. Well balanced flavor profile.

3.46/5  rDev -16.8%

The body is blacker than black. Spinal Tap would describe it as a "pastel black". The head is a hearty nut-brown color, not wussy off white. Black liquorices is in the smell, and something smelled a little sour. The mouth feel is smooth, no doubt. The first impressions are a burnt toast / dark roasted malt flavor. Followed by some bitterness. The after taste starts as chocolate and then progresses to a coffee / espresso flavor. I think this stout is a little too "in your face" for my liking, "this one goes to 11". If they kept all the same flavors, but just dialed down their intensity so they blend together better I would probably love it.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours seal brown with a good inch of coarse, khaki foam. Simple but solid aroma smells of roasted malt, dark chocolate, and a hint of molasses.

Roasted malt comes through in the taste, as does buzz saw caliber carbonation. The bottle let out quite a hiss when I cracked it open, though I don’t remember that from past experience, so perhaps this bottle was just over-carbonated? Either way, the mouthfeel is seltzer-like. It’s hard to discern much else besides roasted malt and carbon dioxide--maybe a little dark chocolate once it warms up.

I’ve had this on tap several times and it has always been a delight--much more mellow and refined than what I’m tasting from the bottle. This bottle was pretty ordinary, save for the excessive carbonation.

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

Once again, the aroma was quite cascady (citrus/grapefruit) coupled with the roasty malts. The flavour was, firstly nicely chocolatey and roasty, but i think the hops ruined it too early, i like my stouts more roasty than this, save the hops for a good IPA or something. Quite a shame, because this has some lovely malts, ruined too early by the hops, still a very tasty brew, so i can't really complain.

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a very foamy and medium dark tan head that lasts quite a while. The beer itself is an opaque black. The lacing is a very nice look when it is on the glass.

The beer smell is extremely hoppy for an oatmeal stout. The beer smell has some light chocolate notes and some very strong oat notes that do not create a nice smell with the strong hop notes. The hops seem to dominate all the other notes and kind of ruin the smell. Thee hop smell itself isn't bad but the lack of roastness or chocolate sweetness that normally accompanies the beer style isn't there. Rather, the beer smells like an IPA with some chocolate and roast notes.

The taste follows the nose to a certain extent but has stronger roast and chocolate notes. The hop notes are fairly bitter and block out most of the other notes except for the oats.

The mouthfeel is pretty disappointing for an oatmeal stout. The beer is medium bodied but on the lighter side and feels bit watery. The beer is smooth but not creamy.

Overall, a pretty disappointing oatmeal stout and wondering if I just got a bad bottle. The beer overall smells, feels, and tastes like a malty IPA. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone if they're looking for a good oatmeal stout.

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

I live in California, but oddly enough I never tried it until I was in Maui. That I got this in Hawaii should be taken in to consideration for the review.

Poured a jet black with a creamy tan head which was quick to dissolve to lace.

Heavy punch of coffee and dark chocolate, and a musty smell covers up anything else.

Taste is big dark malts, dark coffee beans, and chocolate. Decent body and moderate carbonation. Oily coffee sticks around on the tongue.

My palette got quickly tired of the espresso coffee, which was out of balance with the chocolates in the stout. I didn't finish the bottle, got bored with it toward the bottom. Underwhelming.

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a dark color, almost black in the glass but not black like some stouts. Plenty of cream colored head on this one and it hangs around for the duration, not a real thick head though, almost soapy looking.

S - A lot of roasted malt and chocolate. Bitter chocolate, this one has a real bitter smell. Don't smell any oatmeal that I expect, but then again I don't smell oatmeal on a regular basis.

T- This one is nicely balanced with a lot of roasted malts and bitter dark chocolate. This one does stray a bit towards the bitter side. Reminds me more of a porter, but definitely a decent taste overall.

M - This one is smooth and pretty creamy. Not much carbonation, goes down extremely easy. Best aspect of the beer in my opinion.

D - Wouldn't want more than a bomber of this in a night. I like oatmeal stouts, but this one is a little too bitter for me to drink on a regular basis. A pretty good brew though, and worth the try.

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

A: Black with a creamy dark beige head. Good retention. Excellent lacing that leaves sheets around the glass.

S: Roasted malt, slightly burnt carmel. A bit of coco sweetness and coffee.

T: A bit boring and dull at first. Hints of roasted malt and bittersweet chocolate and a bit of coffee. Then comes huge amounts of hops for an oatmeal stout. Lots of roasted, borderline burnt malt and more hops in the finish. A west coast interpretation of this style for sure.

M: Medium body. Smooth, but not creamy at all. I like my O stouts with that creamy mouthfeel, this one is lacking.

D: Decent drink, but too much hops and burnt malt for my liking in an oatmeal stout.

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

Rogue Ales--Oregon Brewing Company--Warrior Ale--Dedicated to Richard Marcincko--2008 22 oz. Bottle Release. 6.25% ABV--69 IBU's. 4.5 / 5.0 Stout--Dense lacy rich espresso head. Opaque ebony color with bronze red edges. Huge dense dark pellicle. Rich floral Cascade hop roasted chocolate espresso front. Tangy dry crusty earthy mild sweet roasted chocolate espresso rich Oat Stout body. Dry hoppy spice end. Sampled 12/9/2009. 2 @ $6.00 Each.

Earlier Rating: 12/9/2009 Total Score: 4.25--Brown Bear Stout--1997 12 oz. Bottle. 6.25% ABV.

Warrior Ale 2008 Release. Tasty tangy hoppy espresso cocoa oat Stout. Crusty rich body. Floral chocolate Cascade hop front.Clean balanced hop spice lingering chocolate end. Dense lacy espresso head. Thick tight dense dark pellicle.Clear ebony black bronze red edge color. Dry sweet. Hoppy Stout.

Rogue Ales--Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout--2010 22 oz. Bottle. 5.78% ABV? Calculated from 15 Plato 77% AA Specification. 69 IBU's. (3.75 / 5.0) Big dense lacy espresso head. Tight thick sediment. Opaque jet black color. No edge. Dry rich burnt espresso hop front. Sediment adds creaminess to crusty burnt rich roasted no fruit dry Stout body. Missing Oatmeal silk. Too dry crisp hot hop clean Stout end. Sampled 12/17/2010. Purchase for $4.99 @ Fred Meyer--Ballard, Seattle on 12/16/2010.

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

22 oz. bottle poured into a nonic.

Pours a complete black with a very generous two finger tan colored head that dies down to a nice frothy layer. Stickiness is pretty good with a nice wall of lacing all over the sides. Smell is a nice milk chocolate up front that masks a nice hop tingle. Sweet caramel mixes in well with an hint of espresso. Solid, complex smell for a 6%-er. Taste is a bit disappointing to be honest. Stale coffee flavor up front with a tiny hint of smokey caramel. Not much else, pretty basic on the tongue. Was expecting much more from the smell, but I learned my lesson not to assume. Moutfhfeel is surprisingly light bodied with a fair amount of carbonation. Decent brew, but really thought there would be more in terms of flavor.

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

Pours with a big fluffy light tan head that shows amazing retention and is about a finger and ½ thick. The beer is completely opaque and as dark as brown can get without being black. From certain points you can see some carbonation climbing the side of the glass. (I realize that's more of a comment about my glass)

Aroma is roasted malt, light chocolate and a touch yeasty.

Dark roasted malt and smoke are the two items I taste first. Bittersweet chocolate, including the dry chalky nature are the order of the day. For those who like dry stouts, this is probably very good. I like a little more balance.

Mouth feel is a touch dry and the body is a touch thin. Just shy of astringent.

Fairly drinkable, but I wish it had a touch more sweetness and balance.

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

[Best served in an English pint]

Poured black with a very large light brown rocky head that was mostly diminishing and had good lacing. The aroma was of burnt cereal malts, mild resin hops and an earthy doughy yeast with strong notes of coffee and dark chocolate. It tasted mildly sweet with a hint of coffee at first then went to a slightly bitter-sweet coffee flavor that had a nice hint of chocolate and was mildly hoppy at the finish with the flavor lingering for an average amount of time. Mouthfeel was full in body and creamy in texture with a flat carbonation. Overall a nice stout, great on a cold winters night.

3.49/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The beer comes in a jet black color with a light brown coffee fluffy head.

The aroma has some milk chocolate, a bit of creaminess, a bit of coffee, roasted malt. I don’t really get the oatmeal coming through.

The flavor is quite good for an oatmeal stout. The front has that round malt flavor that oats give this beer. The beer has quite a bit of roast that gives it bitterness, a bit like coffee. The finish has this slight bitter chocolate and roast. It’s almost metallic, earthy, or herbal.

It has pretty big roasted and bitter flavors for a 6.10% ABV stout. It’s less tame than other oatmeal or milk stouts.

The beer doesn’t really have the mouthfeel from oats. I wish there was more sweetness to balance the bitterness out.

3.49/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from the bottle into a standard US tumbler

*side note* This is my first stout besides Guinness, so take this review with a grain of salt

A-This one one of the prettiest beers I've ever seen. Almost completly black with a medium thick brown head. Perfect lacing.

S- Roasted malts are the main scent.

T-Not as sweet as one might expect. The main flavor I got was of roasted malts. The finish is a weird battle; some sips there is a nice burnt chocolate finish, then the next will be very dry and hoppy.

MF-About the same thickness of a standard guinness, possibly thinner.

D-I think this is a nice beer to nurse at the end of a long day, but I can't see myself drinking more than one.

Overall, this is not quite what I was expecting from a craft stout, but that just shows me that there are many things to learn about beer. I look forward to reviewing more very soon.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

22 oz bottle.I`ve got to say that I was underwhelmed by this Oatmeal Stout.I have had better Oatmeal stouts that weren't rated near as high as this. Youngs Oatmeal was a lot better. That`s why i have to go with a low rating just wasn`t that good.Too much alcohol up front and not enough flavor.Motley out.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

I wanted to like this more than I did. Malty and bitter. My friend said she picked up chocolate, but I wasn't getting much of it. Maybe a hint of cocoa. I'm not getting the flavours I'd expect from this style. Maybe my taste buds are dead? Definitely no strong flavours. Finish slightly smokey.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

A- Pours nicely, dark black with a one finger mocha head. Very little retention and no lacing.

S- Nothing special about the smell, slight hints of chocolate, mostly a strong burnt barley smell.

T- Very strong burnt barley taste. And I do mean burnt, seems like all the Stouts I've had from Rogue have some burnt barley.

M- Okay mouthfeel, medium body, a little light for a dark beer. Small, almost inconsequential bite at the end.

D- I wasn't impressed with this beer. I don't think I'll try another Rogue beer. Every one I've had has been unimpressive. This is another letdown.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

Typical black dark color of stouts, creamy taste, has an oatmeal smell to it, overall ok. I would say this is a good beer, but for the price I expected more. It's not better than a Guinness, but costs a lot more.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark...well really dark, just like a good stout should. I see a bit of lacing but not much. There's very little smell, could just be me. I do detect sort of a chocolatey smell with some burnt parts. Hmm, the taste is a little different than i was expecting. I'm very used to a heavy taste/texture from oatmeal stouts. This one, however, has a smoother taste noted by an earthy body and a sort of chocolate finish. I knew there was chocolate somewhere in here. A lot less of the actual oatmeal can be tasted in this one. I like the mouthfeel, although, i'm not entirely sure it fits the style, i.e. heavy almost like you ate a loaf of bread. Well, overall, i'm actually a little disappointed. I really was expecting to get a heavier offering like Oatis from Ninakasi or the Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith's (my favorite to date). I still think this one is worth checking out as it highlights differences in the style of the oatmeal stouts..

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

Pint glass pour and I am met with a black ale with a big beige head that stays the entire session. Bitter chocolate aroma with some cocoa whiffs and roasted dark malts. Very bitter taste. I was expecting some sweet rush on the taste or at least the swallow based on the smell but there is none to be had. Black coffee, slight chocolate and malty. Bitter almost sour-like finish. The mouthfeel is too thin for an outmeal stout. Drinkability was ok. The bitter, bitter taste put me off a little. I may have had a bad bottle and therefore the review could be tainted. I recall drinking this fresher and getting a better session. Will look to re-review in the future.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales